english requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t-anteater

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will be fine. From what I've seen, writing intensive courses are mainly what the schools are looking for (basically can you comprehend and communicate well). Just make sure you have enough units (some schools want 1 year of English). You say 2 courses, if they are 2 semesters then you're good, but if quarters, you're going to have to probably take another class. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
I believe that most dental schools actually need English Composition and I think it should say something similar to "English Composition" on your transcript for the course description. I'm pretty sure that writing courses should satisfy the requirement, but I know that some writing courses like creative writing are not accepted. Most schools have their requirements in detail on their website :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm just wondering if courses offered under the Writing department will satisfy the English requirement? I've read on here that schools only count the courses that are offered by the English department, but my school's writing GE requirements are satisfied by two writing courses, not english courses. And since I won't be applying for a loooong while (I'm only trying to plan what classes to take) I'm not really interested in calling every school to ask, since I haven't even thought about what schools I'd like to apply to, so I would really appreciate just a general answer. Thank you so much!!! :)

Double check this with the schools you apply to - some schools can be very particular about the department their pre-reqs are taken under. It's ok to call admissions departments about questions like these.

Double check this with the schools you apply to - some schools can be very particular about the department their pre-reqs are taken under. It's ok to call admissions departments about questions like these.

Yep; it's definitely better to call admissions. Several of the writing courses I took (Creative Non-Fiction and Technical Writing) did NOT count for this requirement. However, public health class and sociology class that I took which were "writing intensive" did count for this requirement. The easiest thing to do is to just call and ask.

You will be fine. From what I've seen, writing intensive courses are mainly what the schools are looking for (basically can you comprehend and communicate well). Just make sure you have enough units (some schools want 1 year of English). You say 2 courses, if they are 2 semesters then you're good, but if quarters, you're going to have to probably take another class. Hope this helps :)
Thank you so much!!!! :)

I believe that most dental schools actually need English Composition and I think it should say something similar to "English Composition" on your transcript for the course description. I'm pretty sure that writing courses should satisfy the requirement, but I know that some writing courses like creative writing are not accepted. Most schools have their requirements in detail on their website :)
Thanm you so much!!!! :)

Thank you!!!! :)

Yep; it's definitely better to call admissions. Several of the writing courses I took (Creative Non-Fiction and Technical Writing) did NOT count for this requirement. However, public health class and sociology class that I took which were "writing intensive" did count for this requirement. The easiest thing to do is to just call and ask.
Thank you!!!!! :)

Late to the game but gotta add my experience: went to a small school where we were required to take writing classes but not English classes and everyone had to take a writing rhetoric class.
I was able to get these to count by most schools. Call and check, some are looking for a certain amount of pages written in the semester or per week or whatever.
Also HOLD ON TO YOUR SYLLABI!!! I was very #blessed that I was able to get in contact with my professors within a day or two, that they remembered me, and that they still had the syllabus from a few years back, but I doubt this is how every school is. If you have any doubts about a class, keep an electronic copy of your syllabus because you will need to provide it to petition

Late to the game but gotta add my experience: went to a small school where we were required to take writing classes but not English classes and everyone had to take a writing rhetoric class.
I was able to get these to count by most schools. Call and check, some are looking for a certain amount of pages written in the semester or per week or whatever.
Also HOLD ON TO YOUR SYLLABI!!! I was very #blessed that I was able to get in contact with my professors within a day or two, that they remembered me, and that they still had the syllabus from a few years back, but I doubt this is how every school is. If you have any doubts about a class, keep an electronic copy of your syllabus because you will need to provide it to petition
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I hadn't even thought of that :)