English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narulyn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman in college who just enrolled in classes for the winter quarter. I know that most dental schools require at least 2 quarters of English, but the thing is I waived the first writing course at my college with my AP English score, and I'm about to finish the second writing course that is required for freshmen. I get credit for waiving the first writing requirement, but would dental schools accept that as taking a quarter of English?

I just enrolled in a writing course that satisfies the same requirement as the the course I just took for fall, so I'm not really ahead anymore. I just don't want to regret taking another writing course when I don't need to. I've asked my pre-health advisers but they give really vague answers. Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that most dental schools require at least 2 quarters of English, but the thing is I waived the first writing course at my college with my AP English score,
Actually, most require 3 quarters (1 yr). Most universities do accept AP Credit but there are some that don't. The two that come to mind are Rutgers and ASDOH, but I'm sure there are a few more.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I actually had the same exact issue, my score on the placement test was high enough to allow me to skip an entire english class and only take one english class. Just this past summer I ended up taking a different, unrelated upper level english class so I could have two classes on my transcript just in case, I'd recommend doing that too if you are able to

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I actually had the same exact issue, my score on the placement test was high enough to allow me to skip an entire english class and only take one english class. Just this past summer I ended up taking a different, unrelated upper level english class so I could have two classes on my transcript just in case, I'd recommend doing that too if you are able to

I actually did the exact same thing, including taking an additional English class over the summer. I called the dental schools I wanted to apply to and asked them their preference and some said they would accept my AP class and one quarter of English and others said they wouldn’t. So to be safe I just took two classes

Reactions: 1 user
I actually did the exact same thing, including taking an additional English class over the summer. I called the dental schools I wanted to apply to and asked them their preference and some said they would accept my AP class and one quarter of English and others said they wouldn’t. So to be safe I just took two classes
Thank you for the replies! Would you recommend taking a literature course instead of a lower-level writing course? Do dental schools care about the difficulty or level of the courses?

Actually, most require 3 quarters (1 yr). Most universities do accept AP Credit but there are some that don't. The two that come to mind are Rutgers and ASDOH, but I'm sure there are a few more.
Thanks for reminding me! I'm currently thinking about applying to a large variety of schools so I want to be as safe as possible when completing my pre-reqs. I might just take 2 writing courses for now as I narrow down my dental school list.

Thank you for the replies! Would you recommend taking a literature course instead of a lower-level writing course? Do dental schools care about the difficulty or level of the courses?
I don't think it matters, I took an upper level one though just so that it count towards my upper level course requirement for my bachelor's

I'm not sure what your degree is or what your school requires but for Biology or Biotech at my university you have to take so many writing intensive courses. These courses are biology courses such as ethics in bio, evolutionary medicine, biochem, ecology, etc. Does your school have this? Most dental schools count writing intensives courses towards the English requirement.

I'm not sure what your degree is or what your school requires but for Biology or Biotech at my university you have to take so many writing intensive courses. These courses are biology courses such as ethics in bio, evolutionary medicine, biochem, ecology, etc. Does your school have this? Most dental schools count writing intensives courses towards the English requirement.
I'm a bio major at my college and my advisers have mentioned before that some bio courses may satisfy the English requirement, but I remember that some dental schools require your English courses to be taught by the English department. I'm assuming the writing intensive bio courses at my college wouldn't work. Speaking of which, my college doesn't have an English department so it's kind of confusing. Do you think it would be reasonable to take another writing course next quarter? It doesn't satisfy anything for my major but I thought I might try to stay safe with the pre-reqs.

Thanks for reminding me! I'm currently thinking about applying to a large variety of schools so I want to be as safe as possible when completing my pre-reqs. I might just take 2 writing courses for now as I narrow down my dental school list.

Was in the same situation as you when I was planning this out freshman year, I waived my AP credit and took the two entry level writing classes regardless just to be safe. The adivsors at my school kept pushing for me to take a higher division instead, but I think someone suggested to just take the easy A's and run

I'm a bio major at my college and my advisers have mentioned before that some bio courses may satisfy the English requirement, but I remember that some dental schools require your English courses to be taught by the English department. I'm assuming the writing intensive bio courses at my college wouldn't work. Speaking of which, my college doesn't have an English department so it's kind of confusing. Do you think it would be reasonable to take another writing course next quarter? It doesn't satisfy anything for my major but I thought I might try to stay safe with the pre-reqs.
I would go through all the schools you are interested in and see what their pre-reqs say.

These are from BU:
"Advanced Placement credits will be accepted for English and math prerequisites if the degree-granting institution awarded college credit toward the bachelor’s degree
  • University-designated writing intensive courses will also satisfy this requirement. A course description will be required at time of interview."
I don't think most schools would require that the class be from an English department. I wouldn't want to take more classes than I had to.

Was in the same situation as you when I was planning this out freshman year, I waived my AP credit and took the two entry level writing classes regardless just to be safe. The adivsors at my school kept pushing for me to take a higher division instead, but I think someone suggested to just take the easy A's and run
That's just what I was thinking! I figured that even if this course doesn't really do anything for me maybe it can just be a gpa booster xD
I would go through all the schools you are interested in and see what their pre-reqs say.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look over all the dental schools I want to apply to during winter break.
I didn't know so many schools were so lenient towards AP credits. This is very helpful, thank you!