Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program (EMDP2 FY23)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tboos2193

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I wanted to open up a thread for applicants to the EMDP2 program for FY2023. I'm a applicant from last year, made interviews but was a non-select at the end of the day. I've gone through the entire process so I can answer quite a few questions if anyone has any. Please feel free to use this to reach out to others to start your own DM's. I've met some pretty awesome people through this this forum, one of which is starting EMDP2 this year.

As far as I can tell, the application cycle for 2023 is near identical to last year. They have A LOT more information immediately put out as far as the putting together the application.

Some quick things I learned last year that can clear up some minor questions:

-The application is due by 30 Sep 2022, however if you submit it early, you may be conducting your interviews early.
-They want ALL your college official transcripts. I had 1 class from a random university I took in high school that I received credit for and they wanted that official transcript as well. Send your official transcripts ASAP so it's one less thing to worry about.
-Don't hesitate to email them questions, they are very helpful!
-If you're picked up for an interview, start the medical portion ASAP, like the day you receive you are up for an interview. They go through your records as if you're joining the military for the first time.
-With this, if you have anything on records such as back pain, eyes, shoulder pain, stuff like that, they'll probably have you go through a waiver. It's different than most waivers, as the USUHS office are the waiver authority. You write them a memo stating why you're still fit. This is case by case basis obviously, but it's a nice heads up
-Timeline: 30 Sep 2022 is the deadline for apps. I was told I was up for interviews the third week of October. I did my 2 interviews on Nov 13th, and Nov 17th. They let me schedule the date/time of my interview within a 3 week time span so that was nice, considering if you're going to be deploying during that time frame. Official Results were done by email the second week of Feb 2022.

All of this information is some basic stuff from last cycle. This cycle could be completely different, but I don't feel like it will be.

For my info, I'm AD Navy, in Hawaii currently transitioning to shore command beginning of 2023. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you receive any helpful feedback on why you were not selected? And are you applying again? Thank you! I am applying FY 23.

After I wasn’t selected, you receive your application back after it was reviewed. You can see exactly what they computed for GPA which was nice since my credits are a bit weird.

I also had an interview with Dr. Green and she went over my weak points in my application. For me that was my lackluster GPA at 3.22 from 8 years ago, lack of my personal statement explaining my “why” I wanted to be a physician, and the fact that I have not taken any school courses to raise my gpa in the past 8 years.

The debrief interview was invaluable. Good luck on your application!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can see why that feels invaluable. Thank you for sharing! I really appreciate it. Goodluck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m applying for FY23 matriculation as well. All I’m waiting for is my CO’s endorsement letter and then will be able to send it. When it says to send official transcripts, is that in addition of dodsafe documents that you send?

No, you’ll want to contact your schools directly to send the official transcript, electronically preferred. And that’s every school you had a college course at. Even if it wasn’t towards your degree.

If you send a copy of the official transcripts via dodsafe they won’t accept it.

Ok great to know! Thank you. How are we able to send our JST? I think I tried once and the school wasn’t an option or maybe I overlooked it.

I didn’t submit an official jst, I just listed all the courses in my classes area on the application

Thanks for all the info and good luck! I feel like my chances are slim but fingers are crossed. I’ve been in for 11 years so already starting with a waiver

If it's any consolation, I applied last year, and made interviews but missed it by my lack of recent credits, lower GPA, and low exposure to clinicals. Now I've gone up by 33 credit hours at a 4.0 GPA and more clinical hours than I can count over the last year.

WIth that, my conditional release from my community was just denied because of "manning" and being on "PCS orders". So now that's my hurdle to jump over for the next couple weeks...

Pretty sure people in cohort 8 and 9 have people over 10 years. I think that's a pretty easy waiver.

Anyone get an interview yet? What is the expected time from application submission deadline?! I’m so anxious!

I’m not sure yet, nor will I. I was unable to apply this year. I was denied my conditional community release

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man that’s a bummer! You are Navy?
Hello,

Have you received any information about an interview yet? From some of the other threads I read it seems like they do them in waves. I've been so anxious since submitting.

Also, does anyone know if the email is sent to your ship email, personal, or both? I'm currently TAD so don't have access to my ship email.

I too am hoping for an interview.

I have yet to receive any information in regard to interview. I hope that you/we all hear something soon though. I check my emails like 40 times a day lol

Hello everyone,
I am also applying for this upcoming matriculation year, and hoping for an interview invite.

Im in the same boat when it comes to searching. I think I’ve refreshed Reddit and this website a bunch of times a day in case someone pops up with more information. And I’m not going to say how many times I’m in my email but it’s up there

When did you submit your application? The original post here suggested that if you submit it early, you may be notified for an interview early.

28 August. I might’ve missed the window on submitting early tho idk. I did get told my package was complete this month tho so at least I didn’t have to track down a document or anything.

28 August. I might’ve missed the window on submitting early tho idk. I did get told my package was complete this month tho so at least I didn’t have to track down a document or anything.
Wow. It's been 2 months. I hope you get an invite soon! I submitted mine the last week of September.

Fingers crossed. I hope you get an invite here soon as well. It seems like everyone has a different timeline on when things happened for them in the process. Until I get a no I’ll be optimistic.

Thank you. and best of luck to you! Which branch are you? Do you know others who applied this year?

I’m Air Force, how about yourself? And not really this forum might be the first where people are applying.

I'm so excited that I found this forum. I'm an applicant for FY23. Wishing everyone the best of luck. Branch is Army.

Awesome, good luck to you as well! Hoping November is when invites take place

I’m Air Force, how about yourself? And not really this forum might be the first where people are applying
I'm Navy. There are two others from my command who applied for FY23. Same thing for them, haven't heard anything.

I submitted mine last week of September too, and a week later received a call saying that all items in my package were received and verified. I’ve been trying to remain calm but told myself not to expect to hear anything until November.

The Navy instruction didn’t have much information but I saw on the Marine Corp’s, and I think the Army’s, that the board was expected to convene in December.

Hi everyone. I graduated from the program in 2021. If you have questions about the program (not necessarily admissions since it was a different process for me) feel free to message me.

I submitted mine last week of September too, and a week later received a call saying that all items in my package were received and verified. I’ve been trying to remain calm but told myself not to expect to hear anything until November.

The Navy instruction didn’t have much information but I saw on the Marine Corp’s, and I think the Army’s, that the board was expected to convene in December
I wonder if that board in their announcement is specific to that branch. Have you tried reaching out to the POC for Navy?

Have you guys tried reaching out to the org box since submission of your application? My last contact was 11 Oct I kinda don’t *want to bug them too much

Last edited:
Have you guys tried reaching out to the org box since submission of your application? My last contact was 11 Oct I kinda don’t *want to bug them too much
No I have not. Did you contact them or they reached out to you?

No I have not. Did you contact them or they reached out to you?
No I contacted them mostly just checking to make sure my application was at least completed so I didn’t sit in limbo on that end

Hi all! I've been following this chat and decided to create an account. I applied for the first time at the end of September. I received a call yesterday from them asking about my transcripts, so I guess this is where they are in the application process. They told me in a few weeks we should receive an email regarding interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome! Good luck to you! A few weeks isn’t too bad

I wonder if that board in their announcement is specific to that branch. Have you tried reaching out to the POC for Navy?
No I didn't, because I was waiting until we got into November. It sounds like we should all be hearing something before the month is up though.

Hi all! I've been following this chat and decided to create an account. I applied for the first time at the end of September. I received a call yesterday from them asking about my transcripts, so I guess this is where they are in the application process. They told me in a few weeks we should receive an email regarding interviews.
Awesome!! Based on that, I guess it is safe to say that they are still going through all the packages then. Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you!

Awesome!! Based on that, I guess it is safe to say that they are still going through all the packages then. Thank you for sharing. Good luck to you!
Thank you and good luck to you too!

Hi y’all, Is this everyone’s first time applying or ? Happy to have found a collective group of people that are actively applying lol. Trying to explain to my leadership I’m not applying to the Nursing program is a little funny but not at the same time.

Hi y’all, Is this everyone’s first time applying or ? Happy to have found a collective group of people that are actively applying lol. Trying to explain to my leadership I’m not applying to the Nursing program is a little funny but not at the same time.
It's my first time and I'm Air Force. I also have to tell people it's not the nursing or physician assistant program lol.

It's my first time and I'm Air Force. I also have to tell people it's not the nursing or physician assistant program lol.
Lol finally another person from the Air Force.

First time for me too. I just keep telling people I applied for med school. Explaining that “this is a 2 year, post-bacc, premed program that will assist in passing the MCAT for medical school admission” got pretty old. I’m coming from the medical community and it is still a pain to get people to understand what EMDP2 is.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, its my first time applying too. Everyone I talked to kept thinking I was applying for MECP as well. They were all happy to help but kept giving me contacts for people who went through Nursing/PA programs. If any of you had the chance to talk to Ensign Russell she was super helpful. She finished the program a couple of years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
First time for me too. I just keep telling people I applied for med school. Explaining that “this is a 2 year, post-bacc, premed program that will assist in passing the MCAT for medical school admission” got pretty old. I’m coming from the medical community and it is still a pain to get people to understand what EMDP2 is.
Seriously!! Same here.

Seems like we're all waiting for interviews, and then wait again for results after! These in-between times lol.

Not gonna lie tho this thread is the only reason I’ve been able to relax a little bit lol. I’m hopeful for everyone here!! Because this waiting period is hell.