EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone used Taylor Study Method? I'm using them right now and wanted to see what others think of it.

The message in this thread is pretty consistent. Do what would make you feel comfortable, but make sure you put in the time and review many old exams.

So to your specific question, if you chose Taylor Study Method, I'd say excellent! What if you chose Academic Review? Perfect! No formal prep classes because they are too expensive? Super!

Members don't see this ad.

The message in this thread is pretty consistent. Do what would make you feel comfortable, but make sure you put in the time and review many old exams.

So to your specific question, if you chose Taylor Study Method, I'd say excellent! What if you chose Academic Review? Perfect! No formal prep classes because they are too expensive? Super!

Thank you. Yes i'm trying them because i like the online system and i like how they call and check up on you constantly. I'm pretty self sufficient as most of us at this point are, but we have been so busy at work that i often find i don't spend enough time studying, so having to be accountable to someone has helped me. I'm hoping that it helps. Will let you all know when i take the test. I am looking at old tests too on top of TSM. thanks again.

I am planning my re-take for November 18. If anyone wants online access to the note cards I am making on Quizlet, send me a pm (you can view these for FREE). Note: I do not claim these are comprehensive. They were made based off a book I read, 2 study guides, and 16 practice exams. NOT ALL info from these are in there, but I have nearly a thousand note cards I have made, and I am slowly adding more.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My two cents: I studied for approximately one month (consistently) but started listening to audio CD's (PsychPrep and ATTBS) approximately 2-3 months before the exam in my car on the commute and also at home when time permitted. After listening to CD's for about 2 months I started taking online tests (I purchased access to Academic Review and ATTBS online tests). My first AR test was 65%, my first AATBS test was 68%. Then I studied and took tests for the next 5 weeks all the way up to the day of the test. I barely read the books or did flash cards, mainly took the tests, reviewed questions I got wrong and read up on rationale on those questions. I did look through ATTBS books for I/O quite a bit though, but mainly when looking up something that I had missed on the practice tests. I studied approximately 2 hours/ day during weekdays and perhaps additional 5-10 hours during the weekend for about month or so (15-20 hours per week). So I definitely cannot say I put in 250-300+ hours as many suggest... AATBS test scores during the last 4 weeks before the test: 75%, 76%, 80%, 80%, 79%, 83% (3 days before the test). AR test scores during the last 4 weeks prior to the test: 70%, 75%, 71%, 78%. The actual score on EPPP: over 680. And as many here said, I found the test itself to be MUCH more straightforward (both in the wording of questions and in the answer choices presented) than any of the practice tests I took. For what it's worth, I heard that if you are scoring in the 65-70% range on AATBS practice tests, you are good to go and will pass (you will get over 500). I'd say, from my experience this is probably true since my high-70s to low 80s got me a score much higher than I needed. Could have saved me some time and nerves studying I guess, but the test itself is really not that bad. Long and mind-numbing - yes. But not as difficult as I was afraid it would be. There is hope you guys, good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions on study tips, the study strategy or materials I used, or anything like that! Good luck, you all can do it!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wondering if anyone took the PEPPPO recently and got their score? I took it yesterday and surprisingly got a pass, but other than getting a graphic of performance in each domain, did not get any sort of score on the report. I've seen on here people mentioning their scaled scores from the PEPPPO, so I was wondering if they still do that or whether Pearson has changed their reporting method.

On a side note, I am trying to gauge my readiness (just passing AR practice exams for the last four attempts). However, despite passing the PEPPPO, it reminded me of my first experience with the actual exam (fail), that I felt like the questions were more complex than the AR materials. I guess I have to rely on recent practice scores as a measure of my knowledge? Would be helpful to hear what others thought/experienced. Still feel like I am not sufficiently prepared but maybe that's my nerves.....

Wondering if anyone took the PEPPPO recently and got their score? I took it yesterday and surprisingly got a pass, but other than getting a graphic of performance in each domain, did not get any sort of score on the report. I've seen on here people mentioning their scaled scores from the PEPPPO, so I was wondering if they still do that or whether Pearson has changed their reporting method.

On a side note, I am trying to gauge my readiness (just passing AR practice exams for the last four attempts). However, despite passing the PEPPPO, it reminded me of my first experience with the actual exam (fail), that I felt like the questions were more complex than the AR materials. I guess I have to rely on recent practice scores as a measure of my knowledge? Would be helpful to hear what others thought/experienced. Still feel like I am not sufficiently prepared but maybe that's my nerves.....

Did you get any answers about the PEPPO scores? I was considering doing the test myself, but would likely not if it didn't give a score.

Unfortunately nobody has responded and I can't seem to find any section in my Pearson account that gives a score, only a pass grade. I was hoping for a score, primarily as a very ballpark figure where I may stand on the scale aside from the practice tests I have been taking in AR online program. I will say that for me personally, the PEPPPO WAS helpful in being reminded of the type of questions that come up on the actual exam, and a small confidence booster of a passing grade despite feeling like I was failing while taking it. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
I found PEPPPO helpful as well, primarily for the reasons cited above, to see the types of questions from the real exam ... I have noticed that different companies have different emphasis on different areas, so I wasn't sure what to expect… And questions on PEPPPO were by far the closest to the real thing out of all the tests.... so, in this regard I found of this prep test helpful. However, I also did not receive a score.... it just said pass" without a score and I also received a breakdown of how I did in different areas, but no total score... hope this helps!

I found PEPPPO helpful as well, primarily for the reasons cited above, to see the types of questions from the real exam ... I have noticed that different companies have different emphasis on different areas, so I wasn't sure what to expect… And questions on PEPPPO were by far the closest to the real thing out of all the tests.... so, in this regard I found of this prep test helpful. However, I also did not receive a score.... it just said pass" without a score and I also received a breakdown of how I did in different areas, but no total score... hope this helps!

Thanks for providing your experience, maybe they did away with giving the score on the PEPPPO. What materials were you using to study?

Just adding my experience. Used hand me down tests and flash cards from AATBS ($30). I studied for about a month, roughly 10-15 hours per week and took lots of practice exams (range in scores was 55...awful increasing to 65, 66,68,71,78,72,74 and final at 71). I would go over some common areas/domains I did worse in on the practice exams using my friend Google, but did not do much additional reading. Score was 660 on the test this month. I think that everyone is right on the mark with "many people over study the material". If you practice HOW to take the test and went to a decent enough program you really should do completely fine. I will say there were a number of typos, oddly worded questions, and other nit pick issues with the actual test. This annoyed me more than it really should have, but I will attribute that to general stress/anxiety about passing.

I thought I would share my non-traditional experience to give hope to those who are going through similar circumstances. I'm not someone who can study for 1 month and then ace a test. I also have horrible study habits and I'm a terrible test taker. I took the EPPP today and passed with a 533-this was my 3rd time taking test. I took it once in 2011 (425) and again in 2014 (472). I used Taylor Study Method in 2011 and 2014 and switched to PsychPrep after failing in 2014. My scores on PsychPrep's practice tests ranged because I took so long studying between each test. I rarely made the bench marks or barely made them. I never "mastered" the tests as they suggest (scoring in the 190s on all tests in 'test mode'). When I didn't score high enough on Test D they suggested I schedule and individual study session with one of the instructors, which I did. It mainly focused on test taking strategies, and was likely helpful. Next, I became very discouraged when I scored 118 (59%) on Test E, as they suggest scoring at least 130 (65%). They again suggested I schedule an individual session, but at $175 a pop I really couldn't justify it. I somehow found this forum, and after reading some comments I decided to schedule the PEPPP and see how I did-surprisingly I scored a 568. At that point I felt confident in scheduling the exam. I also took the PEPPPO2 a few days before the exam and passed it as well. With this all being said...as someone with moderate to high test anxiety and horrible test taking skills I would recommend PsychPrep. I would also not put too much pressure on meeting their benchmarks. If you're "close enough" you're probably passing. Remember-the testing companies benefit the more you study. 533 is in no way "blowing it out of the water" but I was ready and I'm glad I chose to move forward. I highly recommend the PEPPP if you have test anxiety. It gives a great sample of the types of questions and they're much more straightforward than the testing company's.

Hi everyone,

Congrats on all of you who have written and passed the EPPP. I'm a recent grad and is slowly starting to prep to study for the EPPP. I was wondering if anyone here have any insight/study tips for me regarding preparing for the EPPP. Also, is anyone here willing to sell/donate past exams for me? I tried ebay, kijiji but no luck so far. I already purchased the study volumes and flashcards from Academic Review (just went to FedEx to receive them today)!

Thanks all!

I passed yesterday! This terrible test is over, and I couldn't be happier. :soexcited:

I started studying in June, but I wasn't consistent and focused until late August/early September. I used AATBS 2015 study books, Testmaster domain quizzes/mock exams, a couple of hand me down study documents, the EPPP app (mostly in the beginning of studying), and a friend's handmade flashcards (mostly in the beginning of studying). I found highlighting the study books and doing the practice tests were most beneficial. What helped me the most with the practice exams was taking notes on the rationales for items I missed, but also on the items I got correct purely by guessing. Several questions from the mock exams showed up on the actual exam. I found that interesting.

I think it's best to narrow your study materials. It's very easy to get overwhelmed with all that is available.Looking back, I really only needed the AATBS books, Testmaster domain quizzes/mock exams, and the EPPP app. The other materials were too much.

Also, keep in mind that you simply need to pass. You don't need to get a super high score. Obtaining a score of 655 has no more meaning than a score of 500. It's a pass/fail exam. All you need to do is pass.

Lastly, if anyone is interested, I'm willing to sell my AATBS 2015 study books. There's quite a bit of highlighting and little bit of writing, but they're in great shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I'm presently studying out of Toronto, ON.

I have been studying for many months (4 months) using PsychPrep and the AATBS study questions. I bought both.

I'm super scared to write. I'm finding some similarities between the two material, but there are some questions from the AATBS test material that are not covered in the PsychPrep material. I'm scoring in the 60's a on SOME of the AATBS chapter tests and psychprep chapter tests.

The only high chapters I've scored on are abnormal and physiology which I can get in the high 80's and 70's.

I want to write and get this over with. I'm getting super frustrated.

I feel the same way! Been studying since Mid-August, using AATBS. I keep taking their practice exams and no matter how much I study, my score is consistently 64% on each practice EPPP I take. I'm considering supplementing with another program. I'm leery of PsychPrep because I inherited some of their material from a friend and I noticed one or two errors or very confusingly worded explanations in some of their materials, so I think I'm going to go with AR. What I've been doing is studying 2 topics (let's say, I/O and Statistics) then taking a full length practice exam. I make flashcards on any missed responses in the areas I've studied, and then go on to two more topics. Take a practice exam, make flashcards on the missed questions in the 4 topics I've mastered, etc. The reason my scores aren't going up is that the older topics are being "overwritten" by the newer ones. On my first practice exam, I got an 85% on I/O. Now I'm down to 64% on I/O. Retroactive interference? Getting super frustrated here......

I passed yesterday! This terrible test is over, and I couldn't be happier. :soexcited:

I think it's best to narrow your study materials. It's very easy to get overwhelmed with all that is available.Looking back, I really only needed the AATBS books, Testmaster domain quizzes/mock exams, and the EPPP app. The other materials were too much.

Also, keep in mind that you simply need to pass. You don't need to get a super high score. Obtaining a score of 655 has no more meaning than a score of 500. It's a pass/fail exam. All you need to do is pass.

Congrats on passing! I'm jealous. When you say you found the EPPP app helpful, which app are you referring to? Where can you get it?

I feel the same way! Been studying since Mid-August, using AATBS. I keep taking their practice exams and no matter how much I study, my score is consistently 64% on each practice EPPP I take. I'm considering supplementing with another program. I'm leery of PsychPrep because I inherited some of their material from a friend and I noticed one or two errors or very confusingly worded explanations in some of their materials, so I think I'm going to go with AR. What I've been doing is studying 2 topics (let's say, I/O and Statistics) then taking a full length practice exam. I make flashcards on any missed responses in the areas I've studied, and then go on to two more topics. Take a practice exam, make flashcards on the missed questions in the 4 topics I've mastered, etc. The reason my scores aren't going up is that the older topics are being "overwritten" by the newer ones. On my first practice exam, I got an 85% on I/O. Now I'm down to 64% on I/O. Retroactive interference? Getting super frustrated here......
I can't really say which is better. But I think that I'm going to go through each question and make sure I know it. That's my game plan. I feel if I do that and keep reviewing I might be ok.

Hi all, I failed AGAIN today. My last practice exam was 67. My score today was 445 and the NY converted score was 70.

I studied 14 practice exams. I went in confident. Guess what - the material I saw today was not what I expected.

So, here I am admitting my failure again in hopes that it helps others. Then I am moving forward and will probably retake after all the holidays.

Remember - failure only makes you feel stupid if you let it! We can all do this!!!!!

Who wants to create a study group? I have talked to a few people. Surely we can brainstorm some ways to boost performances and help each other in areas we do worse in. If anyone wants to be a part of an online study group, send me a private message.

I have never been a failure - but here I am admitting it twice. And I am the type of person who sees this as a challenge. I will pass next time! Who is in with me?

So, I've got an approximate metric s***-ton of passed-along materials, mostly practice tests, but it's all DSM-IV material. I'm trying to decide the best way to compensate for that without buying things. Thoughts?
Also, I have been exceedingly grateful for this thread overy the past six months. SDN, supporting me at all my psychology developmental milestones.

Who wants to create a study group? I have talked to a few people. Surely we can brainstorm some ways to boost performances and help each other in areas we do worse in. If anyone wants to be a part of an online study group, send me a private message.

I have never been a failure - but here I am admitting it twice. And I am the type of person who sees this as a challenge. I will pass next time! Who is in with me?

I'm so sorry to hear about your not passing. It'll happen. I'd love to join a study group. Let me know how i can help/join this and let's rock this damn test and move on.

I'm in for a study group. Just a question for those who have successfully passed/are studying - does anyone have any memory devices for I/O terms and theorists? I have tons of mnemonics for remembering parts of the brain and psychopharm, lifespan, some stats and research design mnemonics, but I/O is another area that I would love to have some cool tricks for remembering. Anyone have any?

I
I'm in for a study group. Just a question for those who have successfully passed/are studying - does anyone have any memory devices for I/O terms and theorists? I have tons of mnemonics for remembering parts of the brain and psychopharm, lifespan, some stats and research design mnemonics, but I/O is another area that I would love to have some cool tricks for remembering. Anyone have any?

I don't have any for ANY yet. Is there a chance you would share the ones you have for the other sections? I'm also in for the study group..

I wanted to add my information since I used this board while I was studying to cope.

I used AATBS 2015 books, tests, section quizzes, domain quizzes & online lectures. I started reading the books in April and took the test in July. While I was reading the books, I wrote out my own notecards for anything I needed to review. I had stacks upon stacks. In May, I took the 4 day review course which was really helpful. I have really bad test anxiety so I wanted to make sure I was using everything I could to master the work. In June (I work full time), I took off 2 days per week, to study the notecards and review material. The second day I was off, I took a test in "exam mode". So I took the test at the time I was scheduling it, with the right temperature (at 65 degrees, AC blasting) in the same clothes I would wear. All exams in test mode, none in study mode. My pre-test score was 54 and each week, went to 57, 67 (after the 4 day workshop), 62,64,66,68,67. I went and took the practice test at the testing center and failed (score around 480)! The questions looked nothing like the AATBS tests and at this point I had 2 weeks left until my scheduled date. I switched gears at this point, stopped taking the tests/quizzes and just started memorizing more information. I literally, the week of the exam, felt almost psychotic because I think I had memorized all my cheat sheets, notecards and handouts that I was going crazy. Took the test and passed with a score of 519.

My advice is that if you are a bad test taker like me because you are riddled with anxiety, make sure you know the information cold. I did have an anxiety attack during the test and if I didn't know the information cold, I would have failed. I also chunked the test which helped with my anxiety. I had to finish 65 questions per hour before taking a break. That left me with time to walk around and get water for 10 minutes. But those 65 questions at each hour had to be done - no going back to check or review. I used up all my time, but I didn't feel rushed.

I also did lots of things I would tell my patients. I went to bed early each night, ate well (and not well, like ice cream daily), I didn't talk to anyone who stressed me out, which turned out to be all my family and friends - for 2 months, I got a massage every week and I watched only things on TV that calmed me down. Good luck to those getting ready to study or who are studying. You can do it too. Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
I

I don't have any for ANY yet. Is there a chance you would share the ones you have for the other sections? I'm also in for the study group..

The best website I found for acronyms and other mnemonics was http://www.thepsychfiles.com/ or google Michael Britt and mnemonics. He has tons of free pdfs posted with adorable hints for memorizing things like Eriksonian stages, parts of the brain, neurotransmitters, and other random bits of information that don't necessarily want to remain encoded by my very much overstressed brain!

Reactions: 2 users
OK, what's the conventional wisdom - you are supposed to sign up for the EPPP when you are consistently scoring WHAT on the practice tests? 70? 75? I finally broke my dreaded "64%" slump (I took 5 practice exams, got 64% each time) I finally scored 69%! Yay, scores are moving, and they are moving UPWARD...this is good. I was beginning to doubt the conventional wisdom of my entire life - you know, the one that goes "if you study, you will do well." and the corollary "if you study more, you will do even better." That principle got me through everything from third grade math to undergrad organic chemistry to my PhD. Would be sad if it started failing me now. (especially since it's an ethos I'm pretty consistent about sharing with my poor, unsuspecting children.)

Congrats on passing!! :)

I didn't talk to anyone who stressed me out, which turned out to be all my family and friends.

Thanksgiving with the family was oh so much fun. "When are you taking that test of yours again?" "Make sure you don't skip any questions, ha ha ha" "What happens if you fail?"

Figured I'd post my recent experience in hopes that someone may help shed some light. I recently failed the exam for a second time and my understanding is by only 5 or 6 questions. I initially started with old AATBS materials and then switched to the AR Online subscription. I found the AR subscription optimal with online reading materials and an abundance of quizzes and Exams with rationales provided. I also felt their score tracking was a helpful feature in my study progression. I met their pass guarantee by studying 300+ hours and passing the last exam above 75. In fact, in my preparation for my second try, I pushed my practice scores to 6 consistent exams passed in a row, with several scores being over 80. I had tons of notecards that I continued reviewing and studying consistently and felt relatively confident (about as confident as you could be for this type of exam I guess, without being over confident whatsoever). In any case, I thought I was doing alright during the exam, felt very focused and not anxious (maybe so I thought). Found some questions were consistent with material I studied, then also found many questions which were worded very oddly and misspelled (although they covered material I knew, it was hard to even decode what the question was attempting to ask), and then there were bout 40 questions completely out of left field asking obscure facts which were nowhere in my study materials and attempting to even apply logic didn't make sense. Needless to say, despite all this, I failed and have been left wondering what all these predictive stats say. I felt I had studied enough and had consistent team practice scores (I am sure the scores were somewhat inflated due to practice effects), but I was also focused on knowing the content of the material. Quite frustrating and I don't know how to proceed since I felt minimal generalization of AR materials to the exam. Oh and I also took the ASPPB practice exam and passed that about 1-2 weeks before sitting for the actual EPPP. If anyone has any advice I am all ears, since I feel a little lost about how to proceed other than maybe focusing on the areas that were suggested as weakest; however, I am unsure that material is covered in the AR study guides. When I called AR they had no advice to offer, but quickly attempted to sell me their constly workshops and sidestepped the whole pass guarantee and preparation suggestions.

What are some less-expensive ways to access practice tests? I'd like to use the AATB ones, but the price kinda hurts (almost $800 for the exams and quizzes for 3 months; . Will shell out if I have to, but hoping you guys have some less pricey ideas.

Figured I'd post my recent experience in hopes that someone may help shed some light. I recently failed the exam for a second time and my understanding is by only 5 or 6 questions. I initially started with old AATBS materials and then switched to the AR Online subscription. I found the AR subscription optimal with online reading materials and an abundance of quizzes and Exams with rationales provided. I also felt their score tracking was a helpful feature in my study progression. I met their pass guarantee by studying 300+ hours and passing the last exam above 75. In fact, in my preparation for my second try, I pushed my practice scores to 6 consistent exams passed in a row, with several scores being over 80. I had tons of notecards that I continued reviewing and studying consistently and felt relatively confident (about as confident as you could be for this type of exam I guess, without being over confident whatsoever). In any case, I thought I was doing alright during the exam, felt very focused and not anxious (maybe so I thought). Found some questions were consistent with material I studied, then also found many questions which were worded very oddly and misspelled (although they covered material I knew, it was hard to even decode what the question was attempting to ask), and then there were bout 40 questions completely out of left field asking obscure facts which were nowhere in my study materials and attempting to even apply logic didn't make sense. Needless to say, despite all this, I failed and have been left wondering what all these predictive stats say. I felt I had studied enough and had consistent team practice scores (I am sure the scores were somewhat inflated due to practice effects), but I was also focused on knowing the content of the material. Quite frustrating and I don't know how to proceed since I felt minimal generalization of AR materials to the exam. Oh and I also took the ASPPB practice exam and passed that about 1-2 weeks before sitting for the actual EPPP. If anyone has any advice I am all ears, since I feel a little lost about how to proceed other than maybe focusing on the areas that were suggested as weakest; however, I am unsure that material is covered in the AR study guides. When I called AR they had no advice to offer, but quickly attempted to sell me their constly workshops and sidestepped the whole pass guarantee and preparation suggestions.
What did you get on the AATBS exam?

Thanksgiving with the family was oh so much fun. "When are you taking that test of yours again?" "Make sure you don't skip any questions, ha ha ha" "What happens if you fail?"

Don't remind me - Hanukah is just around the corner. "I don't get it, don't you know everything already? Why another test?" and "So, are you, like, studying a lot?"

Thought I would briefly add in my info in case it's helpful to others. I passed the EPPP with ample room to spare this morning, feeling pretty relieved. I started studying in late Sept and studied about 6-10 hours per week until about 3 weeks ago when I studied for most of the weekends, and some time on the weekdays (was able to get release time from postdoc). I used PyschPrep audio, materials, and practice tests, and then supplemented with some hand-me-down practice tests of unclear origin and, in the last week of studying, Academic Review books. I downloaded the app for $30 and didn't end up using it :(

My practice test scores were not good until my final 1-2 weeks of studying: 57 without studying anything, then 65, 66, 63, 59, 64, 75. The first 5 were all psychprep, and I found E the hardest. When I got the 59 after several weeks of studying, I became very concerned and quickly finished reviewing the sections of psychprep material I had left, and then started cramming using quizlet flashcards. I also reviewed practice tests by reading the question and reviewing my answer right away, and then making new flashcards for the material I didn't know. I retook four of the psychprep tests that I had taken earlier in studying, which I found to be helpful and a good confidence booster.

I also shelled out for the PEPPPO and got a pass two days before taking the exam -- they do not provide a score any more on this test, just pass/fail and an unanchored bar graph of your performance on the sections. I felt a bit more confident after this, but it didn't provide much helpful data for last-minute studying. I found the PEPPPO much less straightforward than the actual test (several oddly worded questions). Many of the questions on the test were not things that I had studied, but they seemed clearly worded and I could use what I had learned to narrow my options when guessing.

I also shelled out for the PEPPPO and got a pass two days before taking the exam -- they do not provide a score any more on this test, just pass/fail and an unanchored bar graph of your performance on the sections. I felt a bit more confident after this, but it didn't provide much helpful data for last-minute studying. I found the PEPPPO much less straightforward than the actual test (several oddly worded questions). Many of the questions on the test were not things that I had studied, but they seemed clearly worded and I could use what I had learned to narrow my options when guessing.

Thanks for posting. I'm scheduled to take it next Thurs - Dec 15. Trying to decide if it pays to shell out for the PEPPO. Sounds like you didn't find it terribly helpful.

Are you comfortable posting your final score?

Thanks for posting. I'm scheduled to take it next Thurs - Dec 15. Trying to decide if it pays to shell out for the PEPPO. Sounds like you didn't find it terribly helpful.

Just to add information on the practice exam options. I shelled out for the in-test center practice exam, and received a score and a bar graph telling me on a high-low scale how I did on the different sections. I can't say how accurate the score was, because I haven't taken the actual exam yet. I'll post once I have done so.

Are you comfortable posting your final score?

Sure, my final score was >700. It's hard to know how that compares to the PEPPPO pass and the bar graph they gave -- my SO and I tried to make sense of the graph and surmised that if I averaged out all the bars I would have about 75% if low = 0% and high = 100% (of course it doesn't really work like that, because each subject area is represented in different proportions on the test). I think the pros of the PEPPPO were that I got comfortable with the format of the test, flagging items, etc and with the feeling that I might really not have a sense of how I'm doing on the test and still pass. Cons were cost and lack of helpful feedback. I decided ahead of time that if I failed then I would still take the test two days later, so I guess I wouldn't advise using it as a decision maker/predictor of readiness more than other practice tests.

Sure, my final score was >700. It's hard to know how that compares to the PEPPPO pass and the bar graph they gave -- my SO and I tried to make sense of the graph and surmised that if I averaged out all the bars I would have about 75% if low = 0% and high = 100% (of course it doesn't really work like that, because each subject area is represented in different proportions on the test). I think the pros of the PEPPPO were that I got comfortable with the format of the test, flagging items, etc and with the feeling that I might really not have a sense of how I'm doing on the test and still pass. Cons were cost and lack of helpful feedback. I decided ahead of time that if I failed then I would still take the test two days later, so I guess I wouldn't advise using it as a decision maker/predictor of readiness more than other practice tests.
I found the PEPPO so much more straightforward that the AATBS practice tests. Did you find the EPPP similar to the PEPPO?

Hey Everyone,

I just failed for the second time. The first time I had gotten a 480 and this time did worse with a 436. I know an area of weakness for me is research, but I had really felt like I was ready and was surprised I failed. I used Psychprep, does anyone else have any recommendations for other programs? I feel like the EPPP is much worse than the psych prep test and feel like there is material on the real EPPP that isn't covered with Psychprep. Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.

My practice test scores were not good until my final 1-2 weeks of studying: 57 without studying anything, then 65, 66, 63, 59, 64, 75. The first 5 were all psychprep, and I found E the hardest. When I got the 59 after several weeks of studying, I became very concerned and quickly finished reviewing the sections of psychprep material I had left, and then started cramming using quizlet flashcards. I also reviewed practice tests by reading the question and reviewing my answer right away, and then making new flashcards for the material I didn't know. I retook four of the psychprep tests that I had taken earlier in studying, which I found to be helpful and a good confidence booster.

Sure, my final score was >700.

I just wanted to make sure I interpreted your posts correctly – the practice tests you took right before the EPPP, you were averaging in the 60s, and then you scored over 700 on the actual EPPP? Congrats on passing! :) Just in desperate need of stories from others who didn't do fantastic on the practice tests, but then kicked ass on the actual exam. ;)

I used aatbs. Started studying in April and I passed. I went in to the test thinking I was well prepared. During the test I became certain that I would fail. I felt the aatbs questions were completly different from the EPPP tests questions. Also, I feel the EPPP questions were much more clearly worded than aatbs tests. I took the PEPPP and felt the questions were extremely similar to the real test, which are not very similar to aatbs tests.

I stress that I felt so prepared going into the test, but I wasn't. I could believe that after studying and having great knowledge of over 2,000 different questions, some how I was prepared only for a handful of the real test questions.

The biggest help to me was having a study buddy that I met on this forum. We used google "hangouts" to meet and go over study materials and questions. This was huge for learning the material, working through those frustrated times, and keeping motivated.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

I just failed for the second time. The first time I had gotten a 480 and this time did worse with a 436. I know an area of weakness for me is research, but I had really felt like I was ready and was surprised I failed. I used Psychprep, does anyone else have any recommendations for other programs? I feel like the EPPP is much worse than the psych prep test and feel like there is material on the real EPPP that isn't covered with Psychprep. Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for you. I have similar experience. Prepared with just Psychprep materials and got puzzled during exam. They were no way closer to any help for answering satisfactorily. After exam, I understood there is a wide gap between that and reality. Now I am aiming towards diversifying my reading. Thanks.

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a study partner for EPPP prep, located in GTA, Ontario. Anyone interested please PM me. Thanks

I realize this in no way contributes anything of worth to this thread, but I'm going to post it anyway. I feel like I have run out of f***s to give about this stupid test. It's not helping my studying assiduity, and I take it very, very soon. Clearly, I should have budgeted my f***s better. Oh well, we'll see what happens. *shrugs*

I PASSED! :clap: In answer to the question on this thread, in the hopes it helps those who come after me - My highest AATBS practice score on a new practice EPPP was 76. I scheduled the EPPP once I scored above 70 twice (72%). I had a 15 day window until my test date, and decided to cancel all patients and do nothing but study until the test (according to the ethics code that I all but memorized, I'm pretty sure "unable to think about anything but the EPPP" counts as impaired enough to need to cancel patients). During that 2 week interval, I re-took the practice tests I had already taken, with my highest score being 84%.

I scored 636 on the actual EPPP, so I don't know what that says about how valid a predictor the AATBS practice tests were. For what it's worth, I felt the actual EPPP was way more straightforward than the practice exams. There were no questions that could have been short stories. Instead of a whole novel about how Gina Gregarious is brought in to your clinic by her boyfriend Mark Morose, with the relevant details buried in a ton of irrelevant narrative, it was a straightforward "Pt comes in with X symptoms and X symptoms for Y duration. What is the dx?" I did feel that the EPPP was very similar to the PEPPO in terms of question structure. I'm not saying that I was totally spared questions that appeared to have been back translated from Greek by Google Translator, because I wasn't. But mostly the questions were fairly straightforward.

For people who hate statistics like me, I do think that memorizing a few statistical facts was very helpful. Memorizing areas under the normal curve, Type I and Type II errors, and having tests associated with their use (chi square is for nominal data, ACOVA allows you to deal with an extraneous variable....) was helpful. Here's where I felt AATBS was not helpful - memorizing facts about statistical tests would not be helpful in answering one of those "short story" questions (A researcher wants to study the effects of five different treatments for ADHD on three symptoms etc. and so forth) but on the actual EPPP, I didn't get any questions like that. They were more "You would use a chi square when the data is?.....) which memorization is super helpful for.

Glad this ordeal is over. Anyone with specific questions can feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to share my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I PASSED! :clap: In answer to the question on this thread, in the hopes it helps those who come after me - My highest AATBS practice score on a new practice EPPP was 76. I scheduled the EPPP once I scored above 70 twice (72%). I had a 15 day window until my test date, and decided to cancel all patients and do nothing but study until the test (according to the ethics code that I all but memorized, I'm pretty sure "unable to think about anything but the EPPP" counts as impaired enough to need to cancel patients). During that 2 week interval, I re-took the practice tests I had already taken, with my highest score being 84%.

I scored 636 on the actual EPPP, so I don't know what that says about how valid a predictor the AATBS practice tests were. For what it's worth, I felt the actual EPPP was way more straightforward than the practice exams. There were no questions that could have been short stories. Instead of a whole novel about how Gina Gregarious is brought in to your clinic by her boyfriend Mark Morose, with the relevant details buried in a ton of irrelevant narrative, it was a straightforward "Pt comes in with X symptoms and X symptoms for Y duration. What is the dx?" I did feel that the EPPP was very similar to the PEPPO in terms of question structure. I'm not saying that I was totally spared questions that appeared to have been back translated from Greek by Google Translator, because I wasn't. But mostly the questions were fairly straightforward.

For people who hate statistics like me, I do think that memorizing a few statistical facts was very helpful. Memorizing areas under the normal curve, Type I and Type II errors, and having tests associated with their use (chi square is for nominal data, ACOVA allows you to deal with an extraneous variable....) was helpful. Here's where I felt AATBS was not helpful - memorizing facts about statistical tests would not be helpful in answering one of those "short story" questions (A researcher wants to study the effects of five different treatments for ADHD on three symptoms etc. and so forth) but on the actual EPPP, I didn't get any questions like that. They were more "You would use a chi square when the data is?.....) which memorization is super helpful for.

Glad this ordeal is over. Anyone with specific questions can feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to share my experience.

Congratulations!!!

Recently passed with a 611... Scored a 56% (AATBS) then studied casually for 3 weeks and intensely for 3 days and decided to just take it to get it out of the way since I was getting 90+% consistently before cramming the last 2 days.

I only studied practice tests, I didn't touch the books or flash cards. A supervisor suggested I just get it out of the way and it was worth the $700 gamble. Even if I hadn't passed I would have been glad I got it out of the way early because nothing I would have studied in those 3 months would have helped me anymore than the work I put into the practice tests.

Recently passed with a 611... Scored a 56% (AATBS) then studied casually for 3 weeks and intensely for 3 days and decided to just take it to get it out of the way since I was getting 90+% consistently before cramming the last 2 days.

I only studied practice tests, I didn't touch the books or flash cards. A supervisor suggested I just get it out of the way and it was worth the $700 gamble. Even if I hadn't passed I would have been glad I got it out of the way early because nothing I would have studied in those 3 months would have helped me anymore than the work I put into the practice tests.

Thanks for your experience. Did you just take AATBS tests throughout? Was the 90% you were getting on first takes of the AATBS tests?

I'm hoping for some reassurance from those of you who who have gone before me.

I was in the extremely fortunate position that in my first semester as assistant professor, I taught intro psych, abnormal, and bio bases of behavior. I've also been listening to the audio from both psychprep and AR on my (long!) commute for months. I had not done any other preparation other than randomly googling concepts that I was still unclear on from the audio. I took my first practice test last week (PsychPrep A) and scored a 69%. A few days later I took PsychPrep B and scored a 74%. I reviewed each question immediately after answering it.

Anyway, my nearby test centers are scheduling 3-4 weeks out at this point and I really want this done sooner rather than later. Do you think I'm in a good enough position to pass EPPP with a few more weeks of study? At this point, I think I'm only going to take practice tests (finish out the PsychPrep series) with reviewing all questions immediately after answering. I've also been jotting down notes on concepts that I didn't know from the test review and have been reviewing those at regular intervals. I guess I just feel apprehensive because I can't really follow PsychPrep's advice. Because my first practice score was a 69%, it seems unlikely to improve 10% points as they recommend in their materials for "expected progress. " If you were in my position would you just schedule it? If not, what other benchmarks would you look to?

Last edited: