EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I hope I have the same experience. I have marginally passed the AATBS practice tests and two AR tests so I am hoping I will pass the EPPP next week. I did pass the PEPPO with a 75 December 3rd, and received an 85 on the 250 question retired question "exam" last week.

Based on those scores, I think you are positioning yourself quite favorably for the real exam. I had similar scores for the AATBS, PsychPrep, and retired questions...and I pass w. plenty of room to spare. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Since I used he info on this website (before I joined), it only seemed fair to give this in return.

I took the EPPP this week. Just found out I passed with a 603.
I used 2011 Academic Review book materials and CD's. I also had some other CDs that a friend of mine loaned me. I listened to these CD's on a road trip and while falling asleep at night.

I started studying in mid December (about a month ahead of time) and think I gave it about 75 or 80 hours total. The last week I took off from work and crammed. I read all the info once...did the quizzes in the back of the book and took probably 5 practice tests.

My practice tests scores ranged. Some I was getting 50's on. Academic Review I did better on (high 70's). The ones that are labeled A-E I was getting high 60's on (except one I got a 62% on).

Prior test questions I got an 82% on and EPPP0 two days before I took the actual test I got a 490 (Fail), which was great for instilling confidence.

No matter how long I studied for this test I probably would have walked out thinking that I failed. Studying certainly pays off...but I'm not sure anyone leaves feeling 100% confident.

Hope this helps someone :)

Hi All,

I'm new to posting, but have been reading the forums for advice and such for some time. I am taking the EPPP on Tuesday, the 22nd, (2 days!) and I am still failing the practice exams. I don't have any advice to share, as I'm feeling kind of demoralized right about now. I passed the PEPPPO yesterday, but only with a 550. I am trying to get licensed in NY, and they require a 75%. My scores on the practice exams range from a 58-66%. They've progressively gone up, but never break a 70 on my first try. I'm using AATBS and they give you two chances to take the same test, on my second try I am passing with flying colors, but, as we know, there's no "second try" on the EPPP.

I am glad to hear that others were having similar results and still passed, congrats!

If anyone else can relate or give last minute suggestions before I walk the "green mile" :) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to fellow study mates.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I'm new to posting, but have been reading the forums for advice and such for some time. I am taking the EPPP on Tuesday, the 22nd, (2 days!) and I am still failing the practice exams. I don't have any advice to share, as I'm feeling kind of demoralized right about now. I passed the PEPPPO yesterday, but only with a 550. I am trying to get licensed in NY, and they require a 75%. My scores on the practice exams range from a 58-66%. They've progressively gone up, but never break a 70 on my first try. I'm using AATBS and they give you two chances to take the same test, on my second try I am passing with flying colors, but, as we know, there's no "second try" on the EPPP.

I am glad to hear that others were having similar results and still passed, congrats!

If anyone else can relate or give last minute suggestions before I walk the "green mile" :) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to fellow study mates.[/QUOTE

I thought AABTS was way more difficult and complex than the actual exam. I never did that great on those tests and was fine on the EPPP.

I thought AABTS was way more difficult and complex than the actual exam. I never did that great on those tests and was fine on the EPPP.

Agreed. It was good in the beginning to motivate me (more) to study, but it seemed like the material was overly detailed and some of their exams were ridiculously hard compared to other study materials.

Agreed. It was good in the beginning to motivate me (more) to study, but it seemed like the material was overly detailed and some of their exams were ridiculously hard compared to other study materials.

I'm glad to hear this over and over. Took my second AATBS practice exam and my score fell from 67% to 64% :(

I have tons of practice exams to complete thanks to AATBS, but does any recommend other companies for some more practice exams? Any brand have a free exam? Or less expensive than others?

I agree, I can't hear this enough! I have yet to break a seventy on the first try of these practice exams and yet I'm scheduled to sit for the exam on Tuesday. It is reassuring to hear from people who passed even with not so great practice scores. I guess AATBS is not the best for morale.

I'm glad to hear this over and over. Took my second AATBS practice exam and my score fell from 67% to 64% :(

I have tons of practice exams to complete thanks to AATBS, but does any recommend other companies for some more practice exams? Any brand have a free exam? Or less expensive than others?

I have used both AR and AATBS. I have found AR to be worse that AATBS with way to much content to review in their materials. I have also used both practice test systems. I have scored relatively well in both..high 60's low 70's on both. Many poeple say they cannot get out of the high 50's low 60's.

I also think people rely too heavily on the exams and forget a 2nd pass is subject to rehearsal effects and artificial inflation in scores. Use the test to understand strengths and weakness as well as the debpth of understanding you have.Then take a couple weeks to study and test again.

I also took PEPPO and the retired questions. My feeling is AATBS was closer to what I experienced from the rtired and PEPPO. My exam is tomorrow. I am trying to just manage my nerves!

I have used both AR and AATBS. I have found AR to be worse that AATBS with way to much content to review in their materials. I have also used both practice test systems. I have scored relatively well in both..high 60's low 70's on both. Many poeple say they cannot get out of the high 50's low 60's.

I also think people rely too heavily on the exams and forget a 2nd pass is subject to rehearsal effects and artificial inflation in scores. Use the test to understand strengths and weakness as well as the debpth of understanding you have.Then take a couple weeks to study and test again.

I also took PEPPO and the retired questions. My feeling is AATBS was closer to what I experienced from the rtired and PEPPO. My exam is tomorrow. I am trying to just manage my nerves!

How do you go about getting practice exams from PEPPO and retired questions? What was the cost like?

How do you go about getting practice exams from PEPPO and retired questions? What was the cost like?

Online with ASPBB. They do not sell retired questions any longer. you have to find someone who is selling a used copy.

PEPPO is 55 bucks.

My exam is tomorrow. I am trying to not have a heart attack.

I took the exam today. It was unlike anything I have been through. There were so many convoluted questions and I had a ton of neuropsych questions and the ethics questions were from the list of here are the top 20 you will least likely encounter and if you do you are going to have to consult your text. I highly doubt I passed.

The test compared nothing to the practice exams I took and this includes the PEPPO and retired questions. I was passing those! :mad:

Last edited:
keep us posted. prepping now and i'm anticipating an experience similar to what you've described.

keep us posted. prepping now and i'm anticipating an experience similar to what you've described.

I will, I just feel really deflated. I did not expect to leave feeling like I went 12 rounds with Sugar Shane.......

All indicators suggested I was on task. I think I got the good luck version......

I am probably going to resume studies to avoid a lapse in case I did fail.

I am not sure what to do different. I went back to look for some answer to questions I could recall and they were not even addressed in AR or AATBS.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I will, I just feel really deflated. I did not expect to leave feeling like I went 12 rounds with Sugar Shane.......

All indicators suggested I was on task. I think I got the good luck version......

I am probably going to resume studies to avoid a lapse in case I did fail.

I am not sure what to do different. I went back to look for some answer to questions I could recall and they were not even addressed in AR or AATBS.....

I have yet to take the exam, but try to remind yourself that it's very possible that many of the questions that completely stumped you were the experimental questions. I've also heard many people say similar things you are saying after they took the exam - and they ended up doing just fine! :)

Wishing you the best! Keep us posted!

I took my exam yesterday and now I am just freaking out and waiting for them to release the scores!!! And I just found out that my jurisdiction only releases scores by mail and I will be at a conference for the next two weeks, which means I will not have any access to my score until I return. For those of you who have taken the EPPP before, how long roughly did it take to get your scores back? (I have heard/seen conflicting information). ACK!!!

I took my exam yesterday and now I am just freaking out and waiting for them to release the scores!!! And I just found out that my jurisdiction only releases scores by mail and I will be at a conference for the next two weeks, which means I will not have any access to my score until I return. For those of you who have taken the EPPP before, how long roughly did it take to get your scores back? (I have heard/seen conflicting information). ACK!!!

I took the EPPP in New York on December 21 and got my scores by mail on January 7. It may have taken a bit longer because of the holiday so I would think yours will be waiting when you get back. Try to distract yourself but I know it's easier said than done!

My understanding is that scores are released 2x/month (although I no longer know exactly which two dates). So your wait time is dependent on when in the month you took it. If I had to guess, one of the score release days is probably the last day of the month, so you would have to wait the full 2 weeks anyway. So go with that and then you won't have to feel like you are missing out on something by not being home. :)

Lots of luck!
Dr. E

My understanding is that scores are released 2x/month (although I no longer know exactly which two dates). So your wait time is dependent on when in the month you took it. If I had to guess, one of the score release days is probably the last day of the month, so you would have to wait the full 2 weeks anyway. So go with that and then you won't have to feel like you are missing out on something by not being home. :)

Lots of luck!
Dr. E

15th and 1st. Some states let you check online. Some send to you via mail.

I found out before I got my scores by looking myself up on the state licensure database. I was listed as licensed so I knew I had passed. I had taken mine right after the 15th, so it was about 3 weeks until I got the scores in the mail.

Hi all, I took the EPPP on January 31st and am anxiously awaiting my score! I took it in Massachusetts, and am pretty sure that they don't release scores online and that I am going to have to wait for the results in the mail. For those of you who checked the licensure database, how soon after you took the EPPP were your listed as licensed. I checked it today, and I am not listed as licensed, so I'm worried this might indicate that I didn't pass it. I appreciate any information, thanks!

I'm really curious about the NY standard too of 75%. I just passed the EPPP but didn't hit 75%. In fact, i barely passed. I heard however of a friend's friend who got a 501 and was able to get a NY license. Anyone know anything about that (If not, i'll go explore it this week). For those of you awaiting scores or taking it soon, take solace in the fact that i'm a terrible test taker and never broke 66% on any of the tests and passed. I worked really hard (treated it like a job from 9-5) and now broke but now people are actually calling me back for interviews. I tell you, getting all those high 50's takes its toll. Just keep pushing through and you'll get through. I have about 1400 dollars worth of test materials i'm selling for 300 if anyone wants them (audio cds, test reviews, subject booklets, etc). More importantly, good luck to those still working on this last hump.

also:
"how soon after you took the EPPP were your listed as licensed"...I think you have to pay your fees first before they list you. at least for Kansas that's the case. I got a letter in the mail saying i passed but had to pay the fees and then i was listed. Don't know if this helps.

What is confusing with NY is that it isn't an apples to apples comparison. The 70 figure is often tossed around if you ask a more senior person what was needed to pass, so NY requiring 75 gets noticed. The ASBBP recommends a score of at least 500* with scoring being between 200-800. The problem is that I haven't seen the 500 expressed as a percentile. I'm not sure if 500 = 70%, 75%, something else? I have a sneaking suspicion the %-tile is a hold over from way back when, so the state legislation may not have the updated #'s, but the equivalent is handled by the licensing board and most boards use the ASBBP recommended cutoff of 500. I think NY just wants to be special. :laugh:

*It is 450 for MS/psych assistants for states that allow this option, though for independent practice ASPPB recommends at least 500.

ps. The ASBBP people are very nice, so I'm sure a quick phone call would clear this up if someone really wanted to know.

So I finally received my EPPP scores back (I passed!) but now I am waiting back on receiving my score on the Jurisprudence Exam. I know it probably depends a bit on which state you are in but I have not been able to find any information on how long it usually takes for the scores to be released. I know that some of you were able to find your name on your state licensure database but I am not sure how often they update that list... I just want this process to be over by now! ;-S

What is confusing with NY is that it isn't an apples to apples comparison. The 70 figure is often tossed around if you ask a more senior person what was needed to pass, so NY requiring 75 gets noticed. The ASBBP recommends a score of at least 500* with scoring being between 200-800. The problem is that I haven't seen the 500 expressed as a percentile. I'm not sure if 500 = 70%, 75%, something else? I have a sneaking suspicion the %-tile is a hold over from way back when, so the state legislation may not have the updated #'s, but the equivalent is handled by the licensing board and most boards use the ASBBP recommended cutoff of 500. I think NY just wants to be special. :laugh:

*It is 450 for MS/psych assistants for states that allow this option, though for independent practice ASPPB recommends at least 500.

ps. The ASBBP people are very nice, so I'm sure a quick phone call would clear this up if someone really wanted to know.

So if I'm understanding you right, there's no quick reference for getting the percentile to scale score conversion? I recently took the EPPP and (thank goodness) passed the first time. When they told me my score (over the phone), they could only give me the score on the 200-800 range. In contrast, when I was taking my practice tests (AATBS) my scores were always presented as percents. I barely cracked the 70% threshold on practice exams, but I'm guessing (??) that I did quite a bit better than that on the real test since my scale score was a good bit above 500? I wouldn't worry about it, but a coworker of mine is getting ready to take the exam next month and she's anxiously asking around about how much better people tend to do on the actual exam, and I'm not sure what to tell her.

So if I'm understanding you right, there's no quick reference for getting the percentile to scale score conversion?

No idea.

The EPPP and I are not really on speaking terms...:mad: It was a source of stress and cost (test fee + site fee + $500? for the online practice exams). I kept a copy of my own notes and outlines so I could help out friends and my fellows, but that's it.

Well I studied for about 4 months with the AATBS written materials, cd's and practice tests. Of the 7 practice tests I took, I passed about half the time and my range was pretty much always 66-73%. Just received my results this morning via email (PA apparently sends an email link to the PES site for your score) and I easily passed with a 686! So excited! And that score was waaaay better than any AATBS score I ever received. It really is true - AATBS underestimates your true score.

Adios, EPPP!!!

congrats on passing.

took it today for the first (and hopefully only time). i'm relieved that the anticipation of taking the test is gone. no idea if i passed or not. i'm so good at lowering my expectations that i'll roll w it if i fail. i took a bunch of practice tests 2 times and only passed one of them on the second go, so. impressed by what others have been reporting here.

Hi All-

New to the forum and am somewhere around a 90 on a SUDS scale in terms of EPPP anxiety. I am scheduled for torture in just under 2 weeks and have yet to pass a practice exam. I have read all the AR materials (brand new 2012 versions), listened to all the monotone CDs, and keep scoring in the mid-high 60s (67 seems to be my golden number as I've gotten it THREE TIMES now).

Should I postpone this thing until my practice scores go up? I am exhausted from studying and quite frankly, over this BS. I am taking the week before my exam off to study and cram, but I am feeling rather deflated and not sure that will raise my score.

HELP. Please?

Many people pass after not having many or any passing practice test scores (see other posts on this thread). A 67 is certainly close enough to take the test. Don't let your anxiety get the best of you.

Dr. E

Last edited:
Many people pass after not having many or any passing practice test scores (see other posts on this thread). A 67 is certainly close enough to take the test. Don't let your anxiety get the best of you.

Dr. E

Dr. E

Thank you! I think I needed someone to tell me that. My anxiety has left me somewhat irrational. But at least I am aware of that... Insight being half the battle right?

congrats on passing.

took it today for the first (and hopefully only time). i'm relieved that the anticipation of taking the test is gone. no idea if i passed or not. i'm so good at lowering my expectations that i'll roll w it if i fail. i took a bunch of practice tests 2 times and only passed one of them on the second go, so. impressed by what others have been reporting here.
I just took the exam on April 6th and am losing my mind waiting for the results! Seems like 4-5 days after the 15th is the consensus for when scores are available online...

Guys, I just found out I passed! I took the exam April 6th, just got my scores right now! I got a 625 scaled score. I studied 170 hours over the course of 4 months, with about 65 of those hours crammed into the 2 weeks prior to my exam. I took 7 practice tests (AATBS) and was scoring between 60-74%.

Words cannot express my joy right now. Suck it EPPP!

Guys, I just found out I passed! I took the exam April 6th, just got my scores right now! I got a 625 scaled score. I studied 170 hours over the course of 4 months, with about 65 of those hours crammed into the 2 weeks prior to my exam. I took 7 practice tests (AATBS) and was scoring between 60-74%.

Words cannot express my joy right now. Suck it EPPP!

Congrats! Now you can forget everything :D

Does anyone know more details on specifically when scores are released to the respective boards? I know the website says that boards typically receive them within 3 business days of the 15th and the last day of the month, but what's the cutoff date for when scores are sent? I ask b/c I took the EPPP exactly on the 15th (in the morning) and I couldn't tell if that was the last date to take them to have them released very shortly to the board or if my score will be in the end of the month batch. Not that it really matters as my score won't change but I'm now not sure of when I should expect to hear. Contacted the board that my scores have been or will be sent to (have an acquaintance there), no response yet.

UPDATE: I got my results on 4/24 and passed!!! FWIW, I used all Academic Review stuff (books from 2011, CDs, notecards), took 8 online AR full length practice tests (once each), did the free diagnostic assessment monthly and took the PEPPO. Failed every full length practice test (first test was a 56%, slowly improved to a 67%), failed the first DA or two but then passed the remaining times, and passed the PEPPO with something around a 520 or 530. Real score was definitely higher than that! Soooooooo relieved to be DONE!!! I can listen to the RADIO in my car (instead of the CDs) without feeling guilty about it!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
I took my EPPP yesterday 4/25 and I walked out with the "I failed! I failed!" feeling that many people have. I was scoring 77-79% on the last 4 practice tests I took (psychprep and AR). I do think that I got one of the versions that they make and chuckle over because its so awful. We will see! I am losing my marbles over the waiting and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours since hitting "end exam"!!:eek:

Quick question- I know that many states receive scores on the 15th and 30th. If I scheduled my test for the 15th, would my scores be released at the end of that day? Or does that push my score release to the 30th? Trying to minimize the waiting!

Quick question- I know that many states receive scores on the 15th and 30th. If I scheduled my test for the 15th, would my scores be released at the end of that day? Or does that push my score release to the 30th? Trying to minimize the waiting!

I just took the EPPP on April 15th and mine were released to the state board very shortly after that. I think ASPPB says that boards will receive the scores within 3 business days of the 15th and the last day of the month so your board may not have the results exactly on the 15th, but your scores should be released in that first batch of the month. In my state, results are sent via snail mail by the board so I found out on the 24th that I passed.

Update: I ended up taking the exam yesterday. I went in fairly confident as I had passed a practice exam from AR and the PEPPPO by that point. I was grilled by a peer who is also studying for EPPP on several different occasions and managed to answer everything correctly with an abundance of information to the point where I was teaching her the material she was confused about.

Then yesterday happened. I am pretty sure I failed it. I can't think of a single question I answered correctly. Moreover, the questions I was able to look up after the test, I got wrong. So... Now what?

I read 2012 AR materials cover to cover, 2010 AATBS materials cover to cover, and I used THREE different study guides. Oh, and I listened to the CDs. Guys, I know the stuff for the exam. Ask me anything and I can teach it to you. That being said, if I failed it (which, let's be honest, I really think I did), how do I proceed? I am tempted to sign up again immediately and just go take the stupid thing as soon as possible.

Thoughts?

Yes, what Dr. E said.

I was fairly convinced I failed it and passed with a comfortable margin. Just keep in mind that even for the ones you recall and look up later - those could be experimental items.

I understand the concern though. Try hobbies in the meantime!

Update: I ended up taking the exam yesterday. I went in fairly confident as I had passed a practice exam from AR and the PEPPPO by that point. I was grilled by a peer who is also studying for EPPP on several different occasions and managed to answer everything correctly with an abundance of information to the point where I was teaching her the material she was confused about.

Then yesterday happened. I am pretty sure I failed it. I can't think of a single question I answered correctly. Moreover, the questions I was able to look up after the test, I got wrong. So... Now what?

I read 2012 AR materials cover to cover, 2010 AATBS materials cover to cover, and I used THREE different study guides. Oh, and I listened to the CDs. Guys, I know the stuff for the exam. Ask me anything and I can teach it to you. That being said, if I failed it (which, let's be honest, I really think I did), how do I proceed? I am tempted to sign up again immediately and just go take the stupid thing as soon as possible.

Thoughts?

I studied for 11 months for the test using 1-2 year old AR materials. I think I spent 8 months reading the manuals (til they fell apart) and was scared to take the practice tests. When I finally forced myself to take the exams, I was so disheartened to find out that the practice tests were vastly different from the material contained in the books. Thinking I couldnt learn any more information, I just about had a heart attack! I remember sitting on my bed every Friday night in my crappy apartment with my satellite radio playing dance music, wishing i could go out and have fun.

I finally decided to take the exam and I was shocked how different the exam was from wither the tests or the practice manuals. A lot of the material wasn't even covered in either those exams and books. Part of me thought I had failed but the other part of me thou ght there was no way I could have -- I studied SO much. Long story short, I passed with a 695. EVERYONE thinks they failed the exam, so your experience is typical. However, as long as you studied (and you can study far less than I did), you probably passed!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I studied for 11 months for the test using 1-2 year old AR materials. I think I spent 8 months reading the manuals (til they fell apart) and was scared to take the practice tests. When I finally forced myself to take the exams, I was so disheartened to find out that the practice tests were vastly different from the material contained in the books. Thinking I couldnt learn any more information, I just about had a heart attack! I remember sitting on my bed every Friday night in my crappy apartment with my satellite radio playing dance music, wishing i could go out and have fun.

I finally decided to take the exam and I was shocked how different the exam was from wither the tests or the practice manuals. A lot of the material wasn't even covered in either those exams and books. Part of me thought I had failed but the other part of me thou ght there was no way I could have -- I studied SO much. Long story short, I passed with a 695. EVERYONE thinks they failed the exam, so your experience is typical. However, as long as you studied (and you can study far less than I did), you probably passed!

Thank you all for the encouragement. This process is crazy. It really fills you with self-doubt.

I also had the same experience with the material on the test being vastly different from that in either of the practice exams or review materials. I had some very strange, off the wall questions. I am pretty sure they weren't even about things related to psychology. I would love to see the video survellience of me during the exam because I remember throwing my hands up in the air and mouthing some four letter words out of frustration. Oh well, did what I could. Now I am trying to figure out how in the heck we get our scores. Some say snail mail, some say email, some hint at top secret state websites. My state is vague and apparently I will get my scores via tea leaf reading at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the encouragement. This process is crazy. It really fills you with self-doubt.

I also had the same experience with the material on the test being vastly different from that in either of the practice exams or review materials. I had some very strange, off the wall questions. I am pretty sure they weren't even about things related to psychology. I would love to see the video survellience of me during the exam because I remember throwing my hands up in the air and mouthing some four letter words out of frustration. Oh well, did what I could. Now I am trying to figure out how in the heck we get our scores. Some say snail mail, some say email, some hint at top secret state websites. My state is vague and apparently I will get my scores via tea leaf reading at some point.

My test was vastly different than my practice test and study materials too. I was unknowingly chewing on the hood string to my sweatshirt during the whole test! I probably looked like a complete spaz. I'm freaking out with this waiting game! best wishes to you :)

My test was vastly different than my practice test and study materials too. I was unknowingly chewing on the hood string to my sweatshirt during the whole test! I probably looked like a complete spaz. I'm freaking out with this waiting game! best wishes to you :)

Last edited:
Yes, what Dr. E said.

I was fairly convinced I failed it and passed with a comfortable margin. Just keep in mind that even for the ones you recall and look up later - those could be experimental items.

I understand the concern though. Try hobbies in the meantime!
agreed. take this time to re-acquaint yourself with leisure reading. there's nothing you can do about it now. we all think we failed and it seems that most of us havent!

I also just took the EPPP and thought it was very hard. I'm convinced that I failed and keep ruminating on some of those crazy questions. Sigh. I hope we get our scores soon so we can know either way.

I just checked the PsyIms website and I passed! My score was a 578. :D

Congrats! I also passed, with room to spare - and I was very unsure of that exam!

CONGRATS!!! what great news!!!

My scores are still not up. Is this bad news???