Euthanasia/job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lukingout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who's a vet or has worked with some:

Is it at all possible to find work in small animal private practice (not including animal shelters) for a veterinarian unwilling to do euthanasias? I have nothing against it, just can't do it myself (I get far too emotional).

Or will that basically disqualify me from any job in private practice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who's a vet or has worked with some:

Is it at all possible to find work in small animal private practice (not including animal shelters) for a veterinarian unwilling to do euthanasias? I have nothing against it, just can't do it myself (I get far too emotional).

Or will that basically disqualify me from any job in private practice?

Thanks!

Every vet I have ever worked with has had to euthanize an animal. In a majority of cases, it is what is best for the animal. If you are 100% against doing them yourself, you will probably have a hard time finding a job.

As a vet, you need to be able to help people with the passing of their animal family members. They trust you to take care of their pets, and part of that includes helping them through the decision to say goodbye. To not offer this service to sick and suffering patients is not really an option, as far as I know. Imagine establishing a relationship with a client, seeing their pet for years, and finally the pet gets sick and is suffering and nothing else can be done to help. Are you going to tell this trusted client they have to go elsewhere? This is a very emotional time for owners and they want a vet they can trust to be there with them. Also, what would you do if an owner came bursting through the door with their dying and suffering pet. They ask if there's anything you can do to fix their pet, but it's too late the pet is dying and clearly in pain. Are you going to prolong the suffering by sending the pet elsewhere?

I know euthanasia is hard, but you get used to it. I've been in the room many times, and sometimes I'll still cry a little with the owners. It's hard, but it gets easier.

In my opinion, performing euthanasias is absolutely required at all clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theoretically, I suppose you could work at a practice that specializes in dermatology or ophthalmology. I can't imagine they do much euthanasia there.
In all practicality, though, I don't think it would be possible to get into/through vet school with that mindset.
Rather than try to avoid euthanasia, I would focus on becoming comfortable with it. Why is it that you feel you become too emotional/what is your experience with euthanasia? *Everyone* is a mess when their own pet is put to sleep. That doesn't mean that you will feel this way with the process in general.
It sounds like you haven't started working on your vet hours yet, right? Maybe try volunteering/working in a general practice clinic to get a better feel for what vet med is like. You might surprise yourself. =)

And to elaborate, I don't think that anyone is unaffected by euthanasia. However, different people have different ways of thinking about it and of dealing with the emotional stress. I work in a small animal general practice, so I typically see euthanasia as a (sort of) positive thing - a peaceful end for a suffering animal. It's like the last gift we can give our pets.
On the other hand, I don't think I could handle euthanasia in a shelter setting, and I really respect the people who can.

It DOES get better with time for sure. I always try to deal with it by making sure the animal is comfortable and loved in it's final moments (sometimes techs have way too much to do, so I'll just sit there and pet the animal).

I would say I've seen more people NOT wanting euthanasia for an animal that's beyond help. It is a miserable thing to witness. I always keep those images in my mind whenever an animal has to be put to sleep.

If you REALLY can't stand it, perhaps public health is more your speed?

Unless you are in an absolute specialty area (radiology, pathology) that has less direct contact with clients and their animals, you will likely have to perform a few euthanasias as part of your routine. It's probably better to think of ways to best manage the situation/your emotions (make a strategy) and develop it as you go than avoid it entirely. You don't have to enjoy the process, but realizing the benefit for the animal and the impact of a good euthanasia on a client is a good starting point.

I've had lots of friends who have told me they love animals but would hate being a vet because they wouldn't want to perform euthanasia. It is different when it comes to your own animals. It's always tough, but you have to remember it is generally for the best. And as a vet it's up to you to convey to the owners you care about their animal, but also that you know they are making the best decision.

I don't think that anyone is unaffected by euthanasia. However, different people have different ways of thinking about it and of dealing with the emotional stress.

So, so true. I'm also in SA general practice. For the first half of last year, every day I worked, a patient died (either was euthanized or passed away at home and was then brought in for cremation). I spent months dealing with compassion fatigue, and then finally found my self-protective emotional distance again. I am sympathetic with clients, but I do not allow myself to dwell on their emotions: doing so compromises my ability to do my job well.

And you're right about our own pets being euthanized, too--I had to make that decision for my dog February 5th, and I cried about it last night. It's a very different thing to go through as a pet mom than as an assistant/person doing the euthanasia.

I would imagine you can't really get through clinicals without performing euthanasias, right? So even though you could end up specializing someplace in SA where you probably wouldn't do many (if any) euths, you probably won't be able to completely avoid it.
And if you haven't started your vet hours yet, definitely give it a chance, I mean frankly you're never going to know if you'll be able to push the plunger until you're faced with the situation, but you at least might have a better idea of if you could.
On a personal note, I work in a wildlife rehab center, so a good portion of my day is spent euthanizing animals that are beyond help. When I first started volunteering I was HORRIFIED, and I mean it. I had no interest in vet med at that point, and after the first day I wasn't even sure I wanted to go back. I couldn't deal with all the euthanasia happening and never imagined doing it myself. But everyone's right, you do get "used to it". However, I think more than getting used to it though is that you learn to compartmentalize and rationalize what you're doing. Not only is this going to be key to dealing with euthanisias, but with vet med in general.

However, I think more than getting used to it though is that you learn to compartmentalize and rationalize what you're doing. Not only is this going to be key to dealing with euthanisias, but with vet med in general.

This. I've seen quite a few euthanasias. Probably not as many as others because typically it's only the vet that goes into the room unless he/she needs assistance to be respectful and not have a million people in the room, but it definitely gets easier as you realize that it is in the best interest of the animal. Does that mean, I never get upset by them? Of course not. There are times where I will tear up, especially the euthanasias that are non owner witness. In those instances, I make sure I'm the one there to give the dog/cat a hug in its last moments. I find those to be the hardest for me for some reason, or the ones where the men are bawling their eyes out.

To me, euthanaisa is one of the best things we can give our pets when they're suffering. I'll definitely be a complete mess when it comes to my own dog...I mean, I bawled when my fish died in December...

Like everyone else mentioned, if you haven't done so, start shadowing a veterinarian. If possible, maybe try to find a clinic associated with a shelter. The practices I've shadowed at didn't really want me in the room with a client during an owner witness euthanasia, so a clinic with a shelter might get you some more exposure. I feel like they get more non owner witness euthanasias that you can be exposed to. It might also allow you to work your way up from doing more kennel work to working in the vet clinic and getting experience that way.

The short answer is no, unless you are in a specialty practice in a field where euthanasia is unlikely - say, dermatology - but even then you may encounter it.

The long version: Euthanasia is a wonderful gift we can give to our sick patients and their owners when the pet is suffering and cannot medically be helped any more. It is NEVER easy - it's not supposed to be easy. But it is often the right thing to do. Even when I'd been working in a practice for several years, euthanizing my own animal was one of the hardest things I had to do. He was just a kitten, but he had a horrible heart defect and when he went into acute heart failure, the meds just stopped working. It was so much kinder to put him to sleep than to watch him suffer while dying a "natural" death.

There is also a big difference between that, and working somewhere that does "convenience" euthanasias - say, the family can't keep their perfectly healthy, well-adjusted dog any more, so they want to put it to sleep instead of finding it a home. Or the cat is urinating on the rug and they don't want to go through diagnostic testing and behavior modification, they just want to euthanize. That is something you will encounter in general practice, because that's what some people want. I have never worked for a vet who will do it - my first practice had strict policies about euthanasia and not having to endure "that" kind made it much easier. Not that it still wasn't sad, and I never cried, because I did. But we were always doing what was best for the animal.

The short answer is no, unless you are in a specialty practice in a field where euthanasia is unlikely - say, dermatology - but even then you may encounter it.

The long version: Euthanasia is a wonderful gift we can give to our sick patients and their owners when the pet is suffering and cannot medically be helped any more. It is NEVER easy - it's not supposed to be easy. But it is often the right thing to do. Even when I'd been working in a practice for several years, euthanizing my own animal was one of the hardest things I had to do. He was just a kitten, but he had a horrible heart defect and when he went into acute heart failure, the meds just stopped working. It was so much kinder to put him to sleep than to watch him suffer while dying a "natural" death.

There is also a big difference between that, and working somewhere that does "convenience" euthanasias - say, the family can't keep their perfectly healthy, well-adjusted dog any more, so they want to put it to sleep instead of finding it a home. Or the cat is urinating on the rug and they don't want to go through diagnostic testing and behavior modification, they just want to euthanize. That is something you will encounter in general practice, because that's what some people want. I have never worked for a vet who will do it - my first practice had strict policies about euthanasia and not having to endure "that" kind made it much easier. Not that it still wasn't sad, and I never cried, because I did. But we were always doing what was best for the animal.

This! As WEN says, it is a gift that we can give a suffering animal and their family. To let them go with peace and diginity is the ultimate thing we can do. I have been in the field a long time (11 yrs) and I can say that it NEVER gets easier. It isn't supposed to be and it isn't about us. Watching a favorite patient fight against disease and losing.....watching the pain that their family goes through....THIS is why we do it. You can cry with them or save it for after but if you get used to it then it is time to get out. No animal should ever have to suffer when we can relieve it. I have lost more pets than I care to talk about but I made the choice for them before suffering began. Did it hurt? Hell yeah! But it wasn't about me....

Tonight I had to let a squirrel baby go that I had only been rehabbing for a week. She was ADR and had to have something congenital going on. Did I cry? Of course, she was a baby and I wanted her to live and thrive and then go be free.

You should experience euthanasias before you decide. It is very different in a clinic (peaceful) versus in a shelter (the word coarse springs to mind). I have done both...it can be rough but it doesn't have to be.

And to elaborate, I don't think that anyone is unaffected by euthanasia. However, different people have different ways of thinking about it and of dealing with the emotional stress.

+1:thumbup:

I think its also important to remember that euthanasia is unlikely to be the most emotionally stressful thing you will do as a vet. There are many, many other things you will get emotional about as well, and ALL of it takes its toll on your wellbeing. I'm talking about making mistakes, animals dying because of those mistakes, animals dying despite you doing everything you can, owners bringing complaints against you, potentially poor working conditions, poor reimbursement etc etc. The list goes on. So euthanasia is realistically a very small part of the emotional burden of being a vet - if you think you would have a hard time emotionally handling just euthanasia, I would be seriously searching your ability to emotionally handle the other areas of the field.

I believe that all vets need to be committed and emotionally connected to their job, but too much committment and too much emotion DOES just lead to burn out. At the end of the day, you have to be able to seperate your feelings and compartmentalise. If you can't do that, I would say being a vet is not for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to add, despite this, yes, there are veterinarians who refuse to do euthanasia.

I think you would be extremely unattractive to a clinic to hire though, as that means the other veterinarians have to do all THIER euthanasias AND YOURS. Which places more emotional burden on them, and makes THEM more likely to burn out - basically because of you!

And in the current employment climate, I would be thinking long and hard about doing ANYTHING that might make you less employable...

I know of a vet who is faculty at a vet school who has never performed a euthanasia, not even during vet school. Cellular pathologist, I believe.

At a clinic? Not likely.

+1:thumbup:

I think its also important to remember that euthanasia is unlikely to be the most emotionally stressful thing you will do as a vet. There are many, many other things you will get emotional about as well, and ALL of it takes its toll on your wellbeing. I'm talking about making mistakes, animals dying because of those mistakes, animals dying despite you doing everything you can, owners bringing complaints against you, potentially poor working conditions, poor reimbursement etc etc. The list goes on. So euthanasia is realistically a very small part of the emotional burden of being a vet - if you think you would have a hard time emotionally handling just euthanasia, I would be seriously searching your ability to emotionally handle the other areas of the field.

I believe that all vets need to be committed and emotionally connected to their job, but too much committment and too much emotion DOES just lead to burn out. At the end of the day, you have to be able to seperate your feelings and compartmentalise. If you can't do that, I would say being a vet is not for you.
Absolutely!

Euthanasias are always sad. But you are going to find many other things that are even more stressful and emotionally exhausting. I am not very involved in small animal medicine, though I do have plenty of hours with it, but even in large animal/food animal, my passion, it's still hard at times(okay, much more often than that). Picture getting no sleep for days, then struggling to deliver a calf or lamb. Only someone who's done it can understand what it's like- you are completely giving yourself up for the good of the dam and the offspring, usually freezing in short sleeves and covered with every kind of fluid possible in such a situation- fighting for their lives. And if you lose the dam and/or baby/ies, it is absolutely devastating. Giving the kiss of life or chest compressions to resuscitate babies, doing whatever needs to be done...it takes a clear head even with complete mental, physical, and emotional exhaustion.

I've bawled my eyes out during an emergency rumenotomy on one of my lambs (severe bloat). It was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do in my life, but I did it. I've lost lambs and ewes and it was very hard. I feel very much for those who have lost or are losing livestock because I completely understand how they feel. There is a special bond between livestock and owner: it doesn't matter what they are used for, including food.

I still count all the negatives as part of the job, accepting them. I completely love what I am doing now and would never want it any other way. Maybe those losses make all the many healthy deliveries that much more joyful. Death is a part of life.

You need to get a feel for what it all entails, and find some way to manage your emotions. We don't want cold-hearted people vetting, but you cannot allow it to rule over you because it will completely wear you down.

Also, sometimes you have to realize that euthanasia is the only humane treatment left to a patient. Part of the veterinary profession is to improve the quality of life of the animals we're treating, and if an animal is terminally ill and in terrible pain... euthanasia can be the kindest thing. That doesn't change how heartbreaking it is for you and the owner. I think the more you're exposed to it, the more you can see that while some euthanasias are for "convenience," many of them are calculated decisions to find what's best for the patient.

Personally, I couldn't take my pets to a vet who refused to euthanize. As an owner, I know that when the time comes, I'm not going to be ready to let go. I want someone I trust to be able to offer guidance as to when is "the right time." How can an owner trust that you're not making their pet suffer with no hope of recovery if you have a personal problem with euthanasia?

Just my two cents - which probably comes from seeing a little too many owners who refuse to quit. Ever. Major invasive surgery and requesting full CPR on a dog that has terminal cancer and is in terrible pain. :thumbdown:

I think you would be a very unattractive potential employee for most vet practices if you refuse to perform euthanasias. Sure, it's possible to find a clinic where you would fit in, but it would really, really narrow your employment potential - the the point where I'd wonder if the cost of the job search (and schooling) would be worth it.

And it already seems very difficult to find a job, so limiting yourself even more may end up being really bad for you.

I agree with the others, euthanasia is going to be something that you will at some point have to face. It is difficult and emotionally draining but it gets easier to manage over time. I was given the "black cloud techinician" nickname because I seemed to end up with most of the euthanasias or really sick pets that ended up being euthanized... It is hard but I am usually really good at channeling my emotions and dealing with them at a later time when it is suitable. At the moment of the euthansia the client needs you to be there for them and if you are an emotional basketcase then that can be even harder on the client. I am not saying you need to be a stone wall but more of an emotional support system. I found it easier to connect with clients if I withdrew my emotions and was there to just support them... reassuring them that they are making the proper decision, asking them if they have any questions about what happens during the process before we do it and letting those client who could not witness their pets final moments know that I will be there with their pet for them. Yes, it is the worst and most difficult part of the job, yes there will be cases where you will not be able to channel your emotions but over time it does get easier to manage. I still agree that it would be very difficult to find a job that will allow you to never do a euthanasia.

There are certainly fields that involve less euthanasia than others. Dermatology comes to mind, although my dog's dermatologist did his euthanasia (not derm related) because she was the vet he saw practically weekly for his skin issues and we both felt most comfortable there. IF you do well enough in school to get certain residencies (which is kind of a gamble honestly if you know there's no way you could do general practice) you could probably do very few euthanasias in your career, but you would also have to go through vet school and do/see euthanasias there.

I know euthanasia seems scary/sad/emotional, but it helps me to think of the alternative. In undergrad I worked at a human hospital and I saw people dying "natural" deaths and it was often painful and terrifying for them. I also saw many people being kept alive basically against their will with no quality of life, and that was horrible too. It's bad enough in humans who (may) understand what is going on; I can't imagine willfully putting an animal through that. Being able to provide a death that is peaceful, quick, and dignified is a gift to a suffering animal and to their family.

You also need to keep in mind that euthanizing YOUR pet and euthanizing someone else's pets are very different experiences. I was a ****ing wreck for weeks when I had my dog euthanized, but I've assisted in many euthanasias for clients and it's definitely sad, but it's not something that would ruin me for the rest of the day.

There are certainly fields that involve less euthanasia than others. Dermatology comes to mind, although my dog's dermatologist did his euthanasia (not derm related) because she was the vet he saw practically weekly for his skin issues and we both felt most comfortable there. IF you do well enough in school to get certain residencies (which is kind of a gamble honestly if you know there's no way you could do general practice) you could probably do very few euthanasias in your career, but you would also have to go through vet school and do/see euthanasias there.

I know euthanasia seems scary/sad/emotional, but it helps me to think of the alternative. In undergrad I worked at a human hospital and I saw people dying "natural" deaths and it was often painful and terrifying for them. I also saw many people being kept alive basically against their will with no quality of life, and that was horrible too. It's bad enough in humans who (may) understand what is going on; I can't imagine willfully putting an animal through that. Being able to provide a death that is peaceful, quick, and dignified is a gift to a suffering animal and to their family.

You also need to keep in mind that euthanizing YOUR pet and euthanizing someone else's pets are very different experiences. I was a ****ing wreck for weeks when I had my dog euthanized, but I've assisted in many euthanasias for clients and it's definitely sad, but it's not something that would ruin me for the rest of the day.
There is a difference between man and animal- that is why we do not euthanize human beings.

There is a difference between man and animal- that is why we do not euthanize human beings.

...My point was that the alternative to euthanasia is often unpleasant physically and emotionally, and that having seen enough of the alternative firsthand helps me deal with euthanasia better.

Human euthanasia and physician assisted suicide (the latter is legal in some states and countries) are a topic for another thread.

...My point was that the alternative to euthanasia is often unpleasant physically and emotionally, and that having seen enough of the alternative firsthand helps me deal with euthanasia better.

Human euthanasia and physician assisted suicide (the latter is legal in some states and countries) are a topic for another thread.
I agree with you on the animal euthanasia.

We do it all the time. There are a number of countries in which it's legal. And, there's capital punishment.
Just because it's legal and "done all the time" doesn't make it morally right.

Taking a human life in self-defense is permissible, but "euthanasia" is not. It's murder, and it doesn't matter if the individual murdered consented to it or not..

I don't see how arguing this is going to get anywhere, as I suspect that those who are proponents of human euthansia do not believe that each of us is endowed with an immortal soul...hence, in your view, we are no better than animals.

If your friend went up to you and said he/she was drepressed and didn't want to live anymore, would you pull the trigger? If you did, I am pretty sure that you would be prosecuted for homicide.

Why not engage in cannibalism?

Why not kill infants whose parents deem their lives not worth living anymore? No, wait, we do this already.

Taking a human life in self-defense is permissible, but "euthanasia" is not. It's murder, and it doesn't matter if the individual murdered consented to it or not..

I don't see how arguing this is going to get anywhere, as I suspect that those who are proponents of human euthansia do not believe that each of us is endowed with an immortal soul...hence, in your view, we are no better than animals.

If your friend went up to you and said he/she was drepressed and didn't want to live anymore, would you pull the trigger? If you did, I am pretty sure that you would be prosecuted for homicide.

Why not kill infants whose parents deem their lives not worth living anymore? No, wait, we do this already.

Oh jeez can we please not do this here.

I for one, wish that physician assisted suicide was legal everywhere...if I'm dying of a terminal disease and in a ton of pain I think that is an ok thing to do. I've watched several family members suffer through terminal issues like cancer etc, most recently my fiancee's aunt passed away but in her last week she was in so much pain all they could do was to keep her totally doped up and out of it until she finally passed away...

And depression is a treatable condition..most people who are proponents of PAD usually reserve it for terminal cases.

Or maybe they believe that we are equal because we as well as humans have an immortal soul.

(not saying that's me. js that it's a possibility.)

Oh PLEASE.

Are we seriously going to get into this here? Because if we are, let me go make some popcorn. :rolleyes:

Just because a condition is terminal doesn't mean that it is okay to kill the person, whether they are suffering or not.

As I said before, I believe that there is a fundamental difference between man and animal, and once it is acceptable everywhere to kill someone who is suffering, then where do we draw the line? It's acceptable to kill unborn babies, it's it's acceptable (in some areas) to kill babies after birth if their parents deem their lives "not worth living" (i.e. disabled), and now it's acceptable to kill terminal patients.

Maybe someday your life will be taken by a doctor who decides that he/she knows what's best for you, regardless of your beliefs and wishes.

I am going to withdraw from this now. I made my point and you are free to believe whatever you choose, but I completely disagree with any form of "mercy killing" because it is not merciful.

Nobody said anything about killing people without their consent. It would be that individual making the decision, not the doctor.

Getting back on topic, I do believe that you will get used to euthanasia. My very first day ever with a veterinarian, I watched several horse euthanasias. It was not the most pleasant experience but I knew that was part of the field. Now I have assisted with many of them and it does not bother me (is that bad?). For me, once we leave the farm or the exam room, I no longer think about it.

As already stated, there are far worse scenarios that a vet is put in.

Getting back on topic, I do believe that you will get used to euthanasia. My very first day ever with a veterinarian, I watched several horse euthanasias. It was not the most pleasant experience but I knew that was part of the field. Now I have assisted with many of them and it does not bother me (is that bad?). For me, once we leave the farm or the exam room, I no longer think about it.

As already stated, there are far worse scenarios that a vet is put in.

I understand where you're coming from with this. There are few euthanisias that stick with me for an extended period of time. Every once in a while one really gets to me, but I would more so think about it as healthy separation? I think for myself at least, it's more of a self defense, emotional shutdown for that moment. Obviously sometimes they get to me (I think if they are NEVER bothering you there's a problem though). Like when men cry, that gets to me, and euths where a pet's brain is totally there but there body is failing them, those ones are tough.

I understand where you're coming from with this. There are few euthanisias that stick with me for an extended period of time. Every once in a while one really gets to me, but I would more so think about it as healthy separation? I think for myself at least, it's more of a self defense, emotional shutdown for that moment. Obviously sometimes they get to me (I think if they are NEVER bothering you there's a problem though). Like when men cry, that gets to me, and euths where a pet's brain is totally there but there body is failing them, those ones are tough.

I can empathize with this. I have seen and assisted with so many that it doesn't bother me as much either. And this is in both a clinical and a shelter setting. That doesn't mean it does affect me (cuz it does), I'm just able to guard myself and sort of separate from the situation I guess. There are still those cases that really get to me. The last case I assisted with before I left for school, we put down a young cat that tested feline leukemia positive. The whole family, husband, wife and 5 kids, came to be with him during the euth and I pretty sure I lost it.

Just because a condition is terminal doesn't mean that it is okay to kill the person, whether they are suffering or not.

As I said before, I believe that there is a fundamental difference between man and animal, and once it is acceptable everywhere to kill someone who is suffering, then where do we draw the line? It's acceptable to kill unborn babies, it's it's acceptable (in some areas) to kill babies after birth if their parents deem their lives "not worth living" (i.e. disabled), and now it's acceptable to kill terminal patients.

Maybe someday your life will be taken by a doctor who decides that he/she knows what's best for you, regardless of your beliefs and wishes.

I am going to withdraw from this now. I made my point and you are free to believe whatever you choose, but I completely disagree with any form of "mercy killing" because it is not merciful.

Just to point out here, and I know, I should shut up, but PAS is not a mercy-killing in the terms that "the doctor who decides what's best for you". Do some research into the process and all the criteria people have to meet. Oh, and btw, the people take the drugs themselves. One of the criteria for PAS is that the person requesting the prescription must be able to take the pills by their own hand.

Anyways, back on topic.

I never thought I could get used to euthanasia myself, but while it made me sad, there was always more work to be done so I couldn't dwell on it for long. Animals in pain still make me cringe, but it makes me happy that euthanasia is available for the pets that could use it.

:oops: I am one that likes to think that pets have some type of spirit/soul, simply because it makes me feel better as a person to think that it's not erasing their life but merely granting them freedom to go onto somewhere better. It also helps me ease the pain when I lose/will lose a pet. :oops: Kind of reminds me of a post in the allo boards about someone saying they didn't want to meet an atheist since they worried about the morals of someone who wasn't worried about eternal damnation. :rolleyes:

Thats a tough call because if the animal is not mine nor a friends pet, it does not bother me. I have yet to get emotional during or after a euthanasia. I hope this does not make me an awful person. Im not saying I am not sorry for the family but I guess I dont feel a connection to the animal so it does not get to me.

I think also the fact that I probably assist with one euthanasia a week that I just get so used to it. I think if I got really emotional every time I saw one, I would be mentally unstable and overall unhealthy.

Just because it's legal and "done all the time" doesn't make it morally right.[\QUOTE]

Did I make a claim one way or the other?

You said we don't euthanize human beings. You were wrong. That's all I addressed. It wasn't arguing, it was correcting. All of the hyperbole in your response was completely over the top.

Last edited:
Getting back on topic, I do believe that you will get used to euthanasia. My very first day ever with a veterinarian, I watched several horse euthanasias. It was not the most pleasant experience but I knew that was part of the field. Now I have assisted with many of them and it does not bother me (is that bad?).

I would think it's healthy, isn't it? As a pre-get and now student, I've been around plenty but not actually DONE any, so I imagine it changes when you start being the hand that kills, so to speak. But I hope I handle it like you do.

I'm a pretty staunch supporter of euthanasia (even for humans), so I think the only cases that are likely to really bug me are the ones that I consider truly 'convenience' and not compassionate or quality-of-life related. Or does it not really separate out emotionally like that once you're the vet doing it?

I would think it's healthy, isn't it? As a pre-get and now student, I've been around plenty but not actually DONE any, so I imagine it changes when you start being the hand that kills, so to speak. But I hope I handle it like you do.

I'm a pretty staunch supporter of euthanasia (even for humans), so I think the only cases that are likely to really bug me are the ones that I consider truly 'convenience' and not compassionate or quality-of-life related. Or does it not really separate out emotionally like that once you're the vet doing it?

It works like that for me, LIS. I don't agree to convenience euthanasias. But having seen a relative on life support, I strongly support euthanasia for humans as well as suffering pets. Suffering is suffering. I think it is amazing we can provide an easy, humane death for pets that are suffering. I wish we could do that for our loved ones, too.

I have both assisted and been the one to perform euthansia.. I honestly feel the same both ways.. Maybe it is just me but does it make a difference if I am restraining the animal when it dies vs. pushing the plunger? I am still there and still involved. I guess I don't really view it as killing the pet but more so as allowing the pet a peaceful end... that is what allows me to get through it. The convience euthanasias always bother me we didn't do them where I worked, 99.999999% of the time but there were always a few "exceptions" (i.e. "aggressive" animals).

I'm a teeny bit late, but I have lots of popcorn gifs I want to use...

vdIy4.gif

jwsCI.gif

BVpXJ.gif

mfrM1.gif

Love how a discussion about euthanasia impacting job availability morphed gently to abortion, rofl.

It works like that for me, LIS. I don't agree to convenience euthanasias. But having seen a relative on life support, I strongly support euthanasia for humans as well as suffering pets. Suffering is suffering. I think it is amazing we can provide an easy, humane death for pets that are suffering. I wish we could do that for our loved ones, too.

I'm a teeny bit late, but I have lots of popcorn gifs I want to use...

vdIy4.gif

jwsCI.gif

BVpXJ.gif

mfrM1.gif

Love how a discussion about euthanasia impacting job availability morphed gently to abortion, rofl.

Ahhhahahahah!!!:roflcopter: I have been embodied in all these since it took the sinister turn this morning. I will only say that I agree with humane euthanasia, be it human, pet or any other capacity. Suffering need not be infinite simply because we, as "higher beings", have moral issues with taking life.

I wholeheartedly agree!:thumbup: I watched my grandfather suffer with Alzheimer's and lung cancer then brain cancer before he finally passed away. I watched my sister in law suffer from uterine cancer before she was taken. I then watched my father in law suffer with Alzheimer's and linger for more than two years while being basically kept completely medicated as he had become combative and then comatose with a feeding tube. It was the most atrocious thing I have ever witnessed.

Suffering is suffering as dyachei says. I think it is horrible that we can let our beloved animals go with peace and dignity but we can not afford the same care to our elderly and terminal patients.:(

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is ok with human euthanasia/PAD as well. I think as veterinarians/techs/students we see the great benefit that humane euthanasia can provide, and I only hope that if I am dying of a painful, terminal illness I have the option to painlessly end my own suffering if the time comes. :thumbup:

I have both assisted and been the one to perform euthansia.. I honestly feel the same both ways.. Maybe it is just me but does it make a difference if I am restraining the animal when it dies vs. pushing the plunger? I am still there and still involved. I guess I don't really view it as killing the pet but more so as allowing the pet a peaceful end... that is what allows me to get through it. The convience euthanasias always bother me we didn't do them where I worked, 99.999999% of the time but there were always a few "exceptions" (i.e. "aggressive" animals).

The most recent clinic I worked at saw a huge increase in euthanasias right after I started working there. We had at least one every other day if not more through that summer. The thinking was that there were many older, sick animals and their owners would prefer to give them a humane death than risk something happening while they weren't around. As far as I could tell none of these were strictly convenience. The animals were terminal. I only saw one convenience euth and that was for an extremely aggressive dog (extreme to the point he was aggressive with the owners as well). It was sad for everyone involved, but we all knew it had to be done. And there were some euthanasias where I was a little down afterwards. The client/patient/doctor relationship was really close at this clinic and you couldn't help but to know the animals. Perhaps the saddest was a Bull Mastiff with osteosarcoma. He already had a fore limb amputated and ended up with osteosacroma in the other fore limb. There wasn't much to do. He was still very much himself, a happy-go-lucky-treat-hound, but it wasn't right to have him suffer through cancer. Even when it is sad and emotionally draining, usually it's for the best.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is ok with human euthanasia/PAD as well. I think as veterinarians/techs/students we see the great benefit that humane euthanasia can provide, and I only hope that if I am dying of a painful, terminal illness I have the option to painlessly end my own suffering if the time comes. :thumbup:

Agreed.

It's not convenience if it's aggression. It's the owner and vet making the decision that the animal cannot be managed in a way that keeps humans and/or other animals safe. I've been the owner in that decision and trust me, there was nothing convenient about it.

It's not convenience if it's aggression. It's the owner and vet making the decision that the animal cannot be managed in a way that keeps humans and/or other animals safe. I've been the owner in that decision and trust me, there was nothing convenient about it.

I agree, I don't think euthanizing an aggressive animal is convenience at all. It's safety.