Euthanasia/job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not convenience if it's aggression. It's the owner and vet making the decision that the animal cannot be managed in a way that keeps humans and/or other animals safe. I've been the owner in that decision and trust me, there was nothing convenient about it.

Yes, I agree that aggression is not a convenience euthanasia but that is why I put "aggressive" animals... We have clients that are moving/can't take pet with/just had a baby/some other random life event that claim their pet has become "aggressive" and they wish to put it down... It is usually quite obvious that they are lying and often times they will slip up and say something like, "I wish I wasn't moving" or "If I thought he would get along with kids..." It is unfortunate, but if they bring the pet claiming it has become aggressive most of the vets that I have worked with won't dig too deeply or question the aggression.

Yes, we have euthanized aggressive pets... Dogs that you can't get within 5 feet of... those I do not consider convenience..

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I figured you might have meant that... it came up again from another poster who called it convenience when the animal was indeed very aggressive - that's why I said something. No worries.

Just want to say that the first time I assissted a vet in euthanising a dog, I was barely able to keep from bursting into sobs, I was able to keep my composure just long enough to get out of the exam room. However, when I spoke to the vet later, he told me that the dogs owner had seen my strong reaction and he really appreciated it. I realized then that the more compassionate you are and the more you care about these animals, the more necessary it becomes for you to perform the euthenasia. In one of the hardest moments of their lives, pet owners need a vet that will be compassionate, understanding, and will treat their pet like its their own, like its the most special dog or cat on the planet. Im sure everyone here understands how hard this is for you and struggles with this procedure, and that is precisely why we are the best people to take care of it.

It works like that for me, LIS. I don't agree to convenience euthanasias. But having seen a relative on life support, I strongly support euthanasia for humans as well as suffering pets. Suffering is suffering. I think it is amazing we can provide an easy, humane death for pets that are suffering. I wish we could do that for our loved ones, too.

Having just watched my grandmother, who was a lot like me in personality, go through a ridiculous amount of pain and frustration before finally being able to die in peace, I can only say that my opinions on that particular matter have intensified. I honestly wish there was some way to draw up an appropriate amount of pentobarb and stash it somewhere where it could stay safe in case I'm ever in the sort of position where I would want somebody to slip it into an IV line for me. :rolleyes: