Exact time one has to withdrew from all but one school on April 30th? 5pm? or 11:59pm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you explain to me how blaming bad luck for the realities of life is productive?

Naw, I'm done with this thread or explaining anything to you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I read a thing that said that most people who are rejected from med schools are minority single-parents in abusive relationships.

Seriously, it's 2015, and you didn't think to throw "trangendered" in there?

Gotta step up the troll game if you're gonna stay relevant in pre-allo, kiddo.
@FriendlyFH is not a troll. She is one of the most successful applicants this cycle, just go look at her MDapps. I usually agree with your posts. Please don't give me a reason not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
These people did not decide a half an hour before the deadline because that is when their brain arrived at the correct choice after weeks or months of careful calculations. They just put off deciding until then.

To answer your questions, there is no official hour and no official penalty. You'll have to contact the schools in question directly if you really need the answers you seek. Then again, think about all the deciding you could be getting done in the time you spend on the phone with admissions departments.
what if they just got accepted to a dream school a week ago? **** happens. stop making people feel like their being selfish by taking their time. you dont have to live with their decision, they do

Reactions: 1 user
what if they just got accepted to a dream school a week ago? **** happens. stop making people feel like their being selfish by taking their time. you dont have to live with their decision, they do

Whoah, take a deep breath there sassypants. ;) I already posted apologizing for the tone of my post. I honestly meant it to be tongue-in-cheek, not rude.

@amad01 Productive or not, it's still a reality many have to deal with. As was said before, working hard at school is a privilege. Hard work cannot beat the odds every time. Some people will still have too much else to deal with and will fail. I do agree that those people would have a better chance at getting in if they just worked harder, sure, but at what expense? Not helping support their family because they can't work as much? Not spending as much time raising their children if they're a single parent? Some people are dealt **** hands and have to make what they see as practical decisions that are bigger than themselves, and I think in the grand scheme of things that's "productive."

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just saying, that story is either a giant straw man or a fabrication. My money is fabrication, but either way, she should be embarrassed.
Why should she be embarrassed for not believing in the just world fallacy?

Naw, I'm done with this thread or explaining anything to you
Hey, you tried man. At least we won't end up blaming the patients for their diseases.

I'm just saying, that story is either a giant straw man or a fabrication. My money is fabrication, but either way, she should be embarrassed.
it's also anecdata and a logical extreme.

Sad part is I was defending her for her hard work in earning so many acceptances, which she has the right to hold onto until the end of today, while others on WL's are attacking her for waiting so long.

Hey, you tried man. At least we won't end up blaming the patients for their diseases.

now you have jumped to compare an applicant on a waitlist to a patient with a disease? lol :laugh:

@amad01 Productive or not, it's still a reality many have to deal with. As was said before, working hard at school is a privilege. Hard work cannot beat the odds every time. Some people will still have too much else to deal with and will fail. I do agree that those people would have a better chance at getting in if they just worked harder, sure, but at what expense? Not helping support their family because they can't work as much? Not spending as much time raising their children if they're a single parent? Some people are dealt **** hands and have to make what they see as practical decisions that are bigger than themselves, and I think in the grand scheme of things that's "productive."
I agree. The problem is most are referring to the extreme case black female poor homeless 3 kids no family one leg ESL. For such that are dealt those types of **** combo hands, I retract my statement that "simply working harder" would've produced desired outcomes. But for your average applicant out there, some responsibility needs to be taken.

now you have jumped to compare an applicant on a waitlist to a patient with a disease? lol :laugh:
It's the same fallacious just world mindset . You're blaming WL'd applicants for their waitlist status. It's the same thing as blaming a patient for their illness. You want to tell me you're gonna change your mindset 180 degrees in medical school? Old habits die hard.

I mean, we are the same after all. People on waitlist should've worked harder to get into a top school. Our fault for being born in an environment where we couldn't start reading Nature and Science articles while downing bottles of milk or for being lazy and needing sleep in college to fit in work, school and whatever else. Patients too, should've worked harder to avoid being sick. I mean, who else is to blame for getting cancer? It's your own cells turning against you and you should've worked harder in disciplining them so they wouldn't revolt and take over your organs.

The same indeed. Our fault for not working hard :(

Members don't see this ad :)
im sorry. i am really in this dilemma. what happens if we do not withdraw from all other schools today? besides losing deposit? are we binded?

I was trying to read the thread but you guys were doing the most. I just need a simple answer
Talk to the school(s) immediately if you have an important situation.

Talk to the school(s) immediately if you have an important situation.
I did. One of the schools told me that they don't make the rules, AAMC does. Therefore they don't know if there are any repercussion. Eff it. I'm just going to hold both until I square out everything

@gyngyn said midnight and it makes sense!

Excellent idea! From Wikipedia:

Violence
Researchers have looked at how observers react to victims of rape and other violence. In a formative experiment on rape and belief in a just world by Linda Carli and colleagues, researchers gave two groups of subjects a narrative about interactions between a man and a woman. The description of the interaction was the same until the end; one group received a narrative that had a neutral ending and the other group received a narrative that ended with the man raping the woman. Subjects judged the rape ending as inevitable and blamed the woman in the narrative for the rape on the basis of her behavior.

Illness

Other researchers have found that observers judge sick people as responsible for their illnesses. One experiment showed that persons suffering from a variety of illnesses were derogated on a measure of attractiveness more than healthy individuals were. In comparison to healthy people, victim derogation was found for persons presenting with indigestion, pneumonia, and stomach cancer. Moreover, derogation was found to be higher for those suffering from severer illnesses, except for those presenting with cancer. Stronger belief in a just world has also been found to correlate with greater derogation of AIDS victims.

Poverty
More recently, researchers have explored how people react to poverty through the lens of the just-world hypothesis. Strong belief in a just world is associated with blaming the poor, with weak belief in a just world associated with identifying external causes of poverty including world economic systems, war, and exploitation.

TL;DR version: Basically you're a horrible person for believing in the just world fallacy, as the bolded sentences above demonstrate. Especially the blaming patients for becoming sick. Just wanted to share for everyone's reference.

Well THAT was depressing. But also very enlightening. Also makes the whole SDN Campus Rape discussions make a lot more sense.

I agree. The problem is most are referring to the extreme case black female poor homeless 3 kids no family one leg ESL. For such that are dealt those types of **** combo hands, I retract my statement that "simply working harder" would've produced desired outcomes. But for your average applicant out there, some responsibility needs to be taken.

Agree in some cases, but if everyone worked harder it would just up the playing field across the board and you'd still have a waitlist... and people HAVE been working harder on average (see past app profiles) so I think at a certain point more and more average applicants hit their critical mass so to speak and are only able to perform at the "made it onto the waitlist" level. Whether or not that's you is again a function of work, intelligence and at least some luck. Bottom line is not everyone can become a doctor. Some people on the waitlist are cool with that and move on, others double down and try again. I don't think you can blame luck completely, but I don't think you can blame lack of effort completely either. Some of these people would have been considered ringers if they had applied in 1990.

Edit: loled @ 1 leg. I'm a bad person.

@gyngyn said midnight and it makes sense!
Additionally, I think schools give you some sort of slack. Like they wont just be like "HEY YOURE REJECTED" They will likely call you and be like "oh hey... why you holding onto two schools... plz tell us if you're coming here"

I mean there is always the case that someone sent an email to school X to withdraw, but school X lost their email.... in that case the student is not to blame... school Y (the school that they want to attend) WANTS to fill their spots with their first choice students and has spent careful time selecting them. They won't risk throwing away an applicant for human error.

@miszfifi820 - Stop asking SDN and read your contract! The specific requirements of your particular school(s) may be different, and those are what you need to consider.

I did. One of the schools told me that they don't make the rules, AAMC does. Therefore they don't know if there are any repercussion. Eff it. I'm just going to hold both until I square out everything

The only repercussion would be from the schools themselves (i.e. revoking the offer of acceptance). If you really do need more time than midnight tonight, I would email both admissions departments and ask for permission to hold two acceptances. Get something in writing. The person you spoke to on the phone might not know all the details of the school's policy on this.

As I mentioned before, the AAMC traffic rules are recommendations, not rules. Just as you are recommended to hold only one acceptance (and many schools have this instituted as a rule), schools are recommended to be flexible when students with multiple acceptances are waiting on FA offers. I don't think AAMC is in a position to actually enforce anything.

Reactions: 3 users
@miszfifi820 - Stop asking SDN and read your contract! The specific requirements of your particular school(s) may be different, and those are what you need to consider.
I read the contract it said nothing about the AAMC traffic rules and then I called the school and they said 'idk call AAMC'
Edit: I found out that the school contract I signed isn't binding but now I'm tryna figure out if the apr 30 causes binding

I read a thing that said that most people who are rejected from med schools are minority single-parents in abusive relationships.

Seriously, it's 2015, and you didn't think to throw "trangendered" in there?

Gotta step up the troll game if you're gonna stay relevant in pre-allo, kiddo.
Shrug
Yes, it can get so bad for some people that exceeds your reality allowance.

I read the contract it said nothing about the AAMC traffic rules and then I called the school and they said 'idk call AAMC'

OK - So if you've got legitimate reasons and you really can't decide today (Acceptance #2 is 2 days old, Financial aid unknown, etc.) then realize that you're taking something of a risk. If that's the case, I'd email School #1 and tell them why you haven't released acceptance #2, but that you will make up your mind definitively by ___ (within 2-3 days) and that you really appreciate their forbearance.

Edit: Adding -- And email school #2 as well, explaining that you were thrilled to receive their offer, but since it's so new, would request that they extend to you the same "5 day consideration window" that they would extend post 4/30, and that you will make up your mind definitively by ____

Last edited:
Edit: I found out that the school contract I signed isn't binding but now I'm tryna figure out if the apr 30 causes binding

I keep thinking you were @ProbablyAPenguin and was wondering what was wrong! But then i checked again and was a bit relieved. i would adhere to @DokterMom advice carefully to dispel your worries

I agree. The problem is most are referring to the extreme case black female poor homeless 3 kids no family one leg ESL.
The case is there to demonstrate that there are outliers.

for your average applicant out there, some responsibility needs to be taken.
now we are talking. I now agree. Absolutely. That's how I get back into the game from 0 acceptance. This year, I also had a little bit of luck enhanced the work that I did in the past few years.

Last edited:
Additionally, I think schools give you some sort of slack. Like they wont just be like "HEY YOURE REJECTED" They will likely call you and be like "oh hey... why you holding onto two schools... plz tell us if you're coming here"

I mean there is always the case that someone sent an email to school X to withdraw, but school X lost their email.... in that case the student is not to blame... school Y (the school that they want to attend) WANTS to fill their spots with their first choice students and has spent careful time selecting them. They won't risk throwing away an applicant for human error.
yeah, I don't think they'll be too harsh. Most schools do want to hold on to the students that they have carefully selected at this point since they no longer have to fear of over enrollment for the most part.

yeah, I don't think they'll be too harsh. Most schools do want to hold on to the students that they have carefully selected at this point since they no longer have to fear of over enrollment for the most part.

Of course, those who ARE over-enrolled at this point (and there always seems to be 1 or 2) will now have their perfect 'out'...

I disagree. If the rule is being followed, even if it's last minute, I don't think people deserve any adverse consequence.

What can I say, be more imaginative. People's lives are diverse, so are their circumstances. Honestly I never thought something would come into play for my friends and I thought their decision was a piece of cake until I listened.

Not all the pre-med's problem can be reduce to the formula that they are just neurotic pansies which seems to be your response lately.

Unless you're 1) waiting for a financial aid package or 2) got accepted within the last 48 hours, there's very little reason you shouldn't have decided by now. Just about the only other thing I can imagine is trying to end up somewhere amenable to a spouse, but that's applicable to such a relatively small number of applicants that it's not a concern for the overwhelming majority of people.

If you followed the rules obviously you shouldn't be punished (whatever that punishment may be), but if you assume that the deadline is 11:59pm and a school actually uses 5:00pm, then you have what's coming to you (which is in all likelihood nothing). Zero sympathy.

wow, i cant wait to be classmates with some of you delightful individuals

Reactions: 3 users
wow, i cant wait to be classmates with some of you delightful individuals

e-high-five.jpg

/end thread

How does withdrawing early before April 30th have any impact for someone on the waitlist? If the official deadline is April 30, you have the full right to make use of every last minute of it to make the important decision. I don't see any problem with someone withdrawing at the last minute, especially as you're going to be stuck at the medical school you choose for the next four years, so it's better be one you'll be happy with!

How does withdrawing early before April 30th have any impact for someone on the waitlist? If the official deadline is April 30, you have the full right to make use of every last minute of it to make the important decision. I don't see any problem with someone withdrawing at the last minute, especially as you're going to be stuck at the medical school you choose for the next four years, so it's better be one you'll be happy with!

This question was thoroughly addressed by people on all sides of the issue earlier in the thread.

Meant completely as a rhetorical question. Tones are hard to get across on the internet. Can you imagine reading through this entire thread? People who took the time to explain earlier are admirable people a lot of patience.

If someone withdraws on April 1 rather than April 30, perhaps someone on the waitlist gets accepted in mid-April rather than mid-May. The earlier someone is notified of an acceptance, the more time they have to plan their lives. I think the general idea is that you should withdraw from a school as soon as you have made the decision not to attend. Just because you have the right to do something, does not mean you should do it.

That said, there's nothing wrong with holding onto two or three acceptances up until the deadline if you are actually waiting on additional information that will help you choose. However, if it's just about figuring out which school is the best fit, you're not going to get that answer unless you actually attend all three schools and compare them. In this case, I think your best bet is just to go with your gut, where you felt most at home. You can't really go too wrong and since you can only choose one school, you'll never know if you made the better choice.

Edit:
Meant completely as a rhetorical question. Tones are hard to get across on the internet. Can you imagine reading through this entire thread? People who took the time to explain earlier are admirable people a lot of patience.

Rhetorical means you're looking for opinions, right? :)

Psh, what's there to do in May that's better than annoying your fellow posters on SDN? ;)

If someone withdraws on April 1 rather than April 30, perhaps someone on the waitlist gets accepted in mid-April rather than mid-May.

Pure speculation here, but I'd think the vast majority of people make their decision near the April 30th deadline and those freed up spots from April 30th largely comprise of the first large batch of waitlist offers. If an offer comes in May, it's more likely because of someone turning down a formerly accepted offer after getting off of the waitlist at another school.

You and I are not in disagreement in any sense. There are good reasons other than procrastination as to why most people wait. Unfortunately I met quite a number of accepted students who were very disappointed with the aid they received from their top choice school and subsequently had to scramble and turn to one of their other choices. Had any of them turned down their other choices too early, they would've been in a much more tricky situation at this point (which admittedly is a much better position to be in than no acceptance offers at all). Just check out some of the threads showing up now in this forum, i.e. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/am-i-out-of-luck-withdrawing-question.1133242/

Relationships change, preferences change, and financial aid offers are unpredictable. Unless you can't imagine yourself going to a place (in which case you shouldn't have applied in the first place), better to just save some options till April, in case things come up.

Psh, what's there to do in May that's better than annoying your fellow posters on SDN? ;)

Pure speculation here, but I'd think the vast majority of people make their decision near the April 30th deadline and those freed up spots from April 30th largely comprise of the first large batch of waitlist offers. If an offer comes in May, it's more likely because of someone turning down a formerly accepted offer after getting off of the waitlist at another school.

You and I are not in disagreement in any sense. There are good reasons other than procrastination as to why most people wait. Unfortunately I met quite a number of accepted students who were very disappointed with the aid they received from their top choice school and subsequently had to scramble and turn to one of their other choices. Had any of them turned down their other choices too early, they would've been in a much more tricky situation at this point (which admittedly is a much better position to be in than no acceptance offers at all). Just check out some of the threads showing up now in this forum, i.e. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/am-i-out-of-luck-withdrawing-question.1133242/

Relationships change, preferences change, and financial aid offers are unpredictable. Unless you can't imagine yourself going to a place (in which case you shouldn't have applied in the first place), better to just save some options till April, in case things come up.

Great post. I love how this thread is turning into a more understanding dialog.

It is definitely possible for early withdraws to make a difference in others' life for sure. Like when people withdrew super early in the cycle for rolling school, one more student can be accepted instead of having to be put on waitlist before being accepted. Some school moves their waitlist fast like Pitt, they start to accept people as early as end of Feb. I think a lot of people were aware of that and indeed withdrew super early for Pitt. the WL moved quite a bit.

But as @Dormouse and many other have said, sometimes people don't have the luxury of knowing for sure they won't be going anywhere because of the uncertainty of $$$. Each school has their own formula to calculate EFC, so unless you are like really really poor (in which case you can know by asking what's the maximum aid they gave) or really really rich (in which case, kiss goodbye to need based scholly), it's nearly impossible to predict how much money one can receive in forms of grants and scholarships before hand.

Last edited: