Exercise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Van Helsing

I'm already skeptical.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is up guys; hope everyone is doing well.

I am wondering about peoples exercise regimens here on SDN.
A usual workout day for me goes like this:
Cardio= 4 miles on incline treadmill, 4 sets of 25 rep 4-foot box jumps, cool down 1 lap walk
Weight=Bi, Tri, Shoulder, or, back chest and leg. I do abs every day in different variations of difficulty.

Usually I am out of the gym in about 2 hours and 15.
I consume about 2500 calories because I am short.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Benchpress the crushed dreams of my competitors x 100
Curls with my copy of first aid x 50
Fedora tips x 300

On srs note I row in the mornings and jog when I can't row

Reactions: 4 users
Benchpress the crushed dreams of my competitors x 100
Curls with my copy of first aid x 50
Fedora tips x 300

On srs note I row in the mornings and jog when I can't row
Nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift, snatch, clean, maybe some snatch grip hyperextensions, that's all you need!

Reactions: 2 users
Squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift, snatch, clean, maybe some snatch grip hyperextensions, that's all you need!
I am more about physique than classic brute strength. Nice reg, though!

Lifting 2x/week (5/3/1 with barbells, idiot-proof and time efficient) and running/cardio 3x/week. That's about all I have time for these days.

Aikido 4-6 hours a week and I'm starting a weight lifting class next semester to satisfy a PE req., so that will get me involved with that.

I lift Monday through Friday. I rotate chest/shoulders/back with biceps/triceps, so the combinations are always changing up.

As for cardio, in truth I just play sports (mostly soccer) when the weather permits -- which means that for a good chunk of the year, I don't do cardio. This should probably change.

I just walk two hours a day to commute and eat like half a cake.

I have much respect for anyone who does more than that. > _ >

Reactions: 2 users
I run when I can and lift when I can. I have no idea how to make a regular work out regiment. Well i can make one pretty easily. How the hell do I stick to it? Idk...

Lift 4x a week. Cardio 3x a week. Grappling/jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. If I go to medical school the following summer, will probably have to cut down the routine by quite a lot. :(

General lifting once a week, cardio 3x per week including indoor soccer. I've been trying to cut this semester.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Heavy lifting 3 days a week and cardio once a week.

Difficult/technical climbing (5.11-5.13) - 2 days/week, ~2 hours, ~15-20 routes/day
Endurance climbing (5.8-5.11) - 2 days/week, ~2 hours, 50-80 routes/day
HIIT - 4-5 days/week, ~25-40 minutes/session

I'm on my research time, so maybe going a bit overboard, but I've been making a lot of progress.

Powerlifting 3-4 days a week. My cardio is pretty much the walking that I have to do everyday. An hour a day to get to and from the train station for my college commute and an hour to get to and from the gym on my lifting days.

Gotta love the fundamentals! Power rack, a bench, a barbell and a whole lot of plates. Don't need nothing else.

Gotta love the fundamentals! Power rack, a bench, a barbell and a whole lot of plates. Don't need nothing else.

Hopefully some bumper plates. My school's gym staff gets mad when you put up decent weight because it disturbs the cardio bunnies :(

Hopefully some bumper plates. My school's gym staff gets mad when you put up decent weight because it disturbs the cardio bunnies :(

I go to a commercial gym and have the same problem. We also can't use chalk with any of the equipment either. I don't know how the staff expects me to place a 400+ lb barbell on the floor with the lightness of a feather, after a heavy deadlift session :/

Lifting 2x/week (5/3/1 with barbells, idiot-proof and time efficient) and running/cardio 3x/week. That's about all I have time for these days.
I hear ya. It is definitely better than nothing at all..

I lift Monday through Friday. I rotate chest/shoulders/back with biceps/triceps, so the combinations are always changing up.

As for cardio, in truth I just play sports (mostly soccer) when the weather permits -- which means that for a good chunk of the year, I don't do cardio. This should probably change.
I do a lot of cardio because it makes me really lean. Also, it minimizes my cravings. I'm not sure if that's because it tightens my stomach up, or?
Either way, that's a solid regimen.

I run when I can and lift when I can. I have no idea how to make a regular work out regiment. Well i can make one pretty easily. How the hell do I stick to it? Idk...
I wake up at 5:30 and head out. It isn't easy, but the results for me are worth it. It helps my game with the ladies lol.

General lifting once a week, cardio 3x per week including indoor soccer. I've been trying to cut this semester.
Soccer is gnarly. I'd like to find a good cardio vascular recreational sport. I've been skating my whole life but I can't break bones anymore.

Lift 4x a week. Cardio 3x a week. Grappling/jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. If I go to medical school the following summer, will probably have to cut down the routine by quite a lot. :(
I like to spend about two and a half hours at the gym every day. It will be interesting to see what stays and goes when I get accepted. I will probably keep the cardio and just emphasize plyometrics, pushups, pull ups, burpees etc.

Difficult/technical climbing (5.11-5.13) - 2 days/week, ~2 hours, ~15-20 routes/day
Endurance climbing (5.8-5.11) - 2 days/week, ~2 hours, 50-80 routes/day
HIIT - 4-5 days/week, ~25-40 minutes/session

I'm on my research time, so maybe going a bit overboard, but I've been making a lot of progress.
Wow, I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all.
Sound body sound mind.
Pardon my ignorance, but where are you doing your climbing? Any in an indoor facility?

I do a lot of cardio because it makes me really lean. Also, it minimizes my cravings. I'm not sure if that's because it tightens my stomach up, or?
Either way, that's a solid regimen.
I feel like cardio is excellent not just for staying lean but also for simply feeling healthy in general. I think the latter is the main reason I'd like to get myself more into it. When I'm running around all summer playing soccer, I feel awesome. I'd like to feel that way year-round.
Soccer is gnarly. I'd like to find a good cardio vascular recreational sport.
I can highly recommend it for that purpose -- try it one day by calling up some friends and playing a 90-minute full-field pickup game. I guarantee you an amazing cardio workout. Besides, it's incredibly fun. As much as I love our American sports, I personally don't think that we Americans give soccer enough of a chance.

Eco Ball, liquid chalk or straps?

Besides a belt and wrist straps (broke left wrist a couple years back), I haven't been using anything for assistance. I've heard good things about liquid chalk though in terms of not leaving a lot of residue on the barbell. Definitely need to look into that.

Besides a belt and wrist straps (broke left wrist a couple years back), I haven't been using anything for assistance. I've heard good things about liquid chalk though in terms of not leaving a lot of residue on the barbell. Definitely need to look into that.
Liquid Chalk in a bottle is kind of expensive, but is easy to DIY if you have some spare chalk sitting around.

55-60 miles per week, so 8-9 miles a day. no lifting. I do it more so I don't have worry much about what I eat rather than for the health benefits. it will almost certainly change when I go to med school. hopefully not by much. one of my friends who is an m2 says ill be lucky to get 10/week, which is pathetic. hes not very athletic, so im taking what he says with a grain of salt.

55-60 miles per week, so 8-9 miles a day. no lifting. I do it more so I don't have worry much about what I eat rather than for the health benefits. it will almost certainly change when I go to med school. hopefully not by much. one of my friends who is an m2 says ill be lucky to get 10/week, which is pathetic. hes not very athletic, so im taking what he says with a grain of salt.
55-60? Thats insane; good for you! I definitely think that, if you stick to a schedule, you can put in some solid mileage in medical school. Maybe 50 is a bit much, but I bet you could manage 30-35 without too much trouble if you run in the mornings. I have a few friends/acquaintances via our collegiate club running team who are/were in medical school and still managed to put in some solid workouts 5x a week.

55-60? Thats insane; good for you! I definitely think that, if you stick to a schedule, you can put in some solid mileage in medical school. Maybe 50 is a bit much, but I bet you could manage 30-35 without too much trouble if you run in the mornings. I have a few friends/acquaintances via our collegiate club running team who are/were in medical school and still managed to put in some solid workouts 5x a week.

when you think about it, 8-9 is really only 1 hour a day. but id imagine even an hour is probably a big sacrifice when you have to study non-stop. plus it takes a decent amount of energy to put down 9, even if you go slow. but yeah 30-35 (4-5/day) shouldn't be too difficult. and as long as maybe 1 or 2 of those runs are done at a solid pace, not much fitness will be lost.

One of my classmates ran track/XC in undergrad and still pulls similar mileage to you. In the marathon we had a few weeks ago, he placed in the top 20 overall (he upped his mileage in training for it, but you get the idea). You make time for it, or you don't.

I also ran the half-marathon and ended up doing ~20 miles a week at the peak of my training, while still powerlifting 3x a week and going to a spinning class every week. Not sure if I would recommend that again to myself, but it's possible.

I feel like cardio is excellent not just for staying lean but also for simply feeling healthy in general. I think the latter is the main reason I'd like to get myself more into it. When I'm running around all summer playing soccer, I feel awesome. I'd like to feel that way year-round.

I can highly recommend it for that purpose -- try it one day by calling up some friends and playing a 90-minute full-field pickup game. I guarantee you an amazing cardio workout. Besides, it's incredibly fun. As much as I love our American sports, I personally don't think that we Americans give soccer enough of a chance.
That's not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I'm one of the most active people I know.. I would be better off joining in with so
After about 6 miles my knees start to hurt. I usually cap it at 4-6; for my body type it is plenty.
10 miles a day is dedication.

Wow, I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all.
Sound body sound mind.
Pardon my ignorance, but where are you doing your climbing? Any in an indoor facility?

When I am on our vascular service I work about 100 hours/week. I am capped at 80 hours/week in the hospital, but there are presentations, my research (which doesn't just stop because I'm not on a research rotation), studying for my in-service exams, hospital committees etc. There simply is not enough time in a week to be a surgical resident, married and exercise 15-20 hours a week. And I say that as someone who at baseline has only ever slept 5-6 hours a day.

One of my classmates ran track/XC in undergrad and still pulls similar mileage to you. In the marathon we had a few weeks ago, he placed in the top 20 overall (he upped his mileage in training for it, but you get the idea). You make time for it, or you don't.

I also ran the half-marathon and ended up doing ~20 miles a week at the peak of my training, while still powerlifting 3x a week and going to a spinning class every week. Not sure if I would recommend that again to myself, but it's possible.

was the marathon sponsored by your school?

What is up guys; hope everyone is doing well.

I am wondering about peoples exercise regimens here on SDN.
A usual workout day for me goes like this:
Cardio= 4 miles on incline treadmill, 4 sets of 25 rep 4-foot box jumps, cool down 1 lap walk
Weight=Bi, Tri, Shoulder, or, back chest and leg. I do abs every day in different variations of difficulty.

Usually I am out of the gym in about 2 hours and 15.
I consume about 2500 calories because I am short.

All throughout medical school and residency, I have trained the power lifts and the core functional movements. In medical school, workouts lasted 1 - 1.5 hours. In residency they are 30-45 minutes. My cardio is mainly walking- getting 10K steps a day.

I'm also short, and I consume about 3000 calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.