Explanation Statement ("Math Challenged")

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_DVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have read a few of the previous threads about the VMCAS explanation statement. However, none of the threads that I found dealt specifically with the problem that I have thought about writing about in the Explanation Statement.

I have always struggled with math. I can even remember being "mathematically challenged" back in elementary school. I do well in my classes overall(I have about a 3.6 cum gap). But, as a result of my weakness in mathematics some classes that were math intensive such as General Chemistry I really struggled with. I ended up with C's in both Gen Chem 1 and 2. Do you all think that I should write an explanation as to why I performed poorly in these classes?

I by no means want to seem like I am making excuses for a subpar performance. I completely own the grades that I have made. No one is at fault for my performance but myself.

Members don't see this ad.

No, that just sounds like an excuse and would be putting a nail in your coffin.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. Even though VMCAS doesn't open for 5 months, I am getting nervous and contemplating the application process very intensely. So, I guess I am worrying about things that I shouldn't be.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this like a diagnosed learning disorder or just a suspicion that you have?

If it's just a suspicion, I wouldn't mention it in the explanation statement. If this problem has only netted you two C's so far, that's not a very strong pattern of low performance.

You and I sound pretty similar, in terms of our GPA/chem grades/being mathematically-challenged. If you're still maintaining that 3.6 cumulative grade, don't worry about the explanation section. If it gives you any confidence, I, too, have a couple Cs in chem (second semester gen chem and first semester orgo), am a total math butthead, and applied with a 3.65 GPA-- pleased to say I have two interviews and listed as an alternate at Oregon! :) You'll be fine!

For my explanation statement, I wrote a short paragraph on why one particular semester's grades were not as high as my usual semesters (the reason was that I was driving 2 hours to home 3-4 times a week since my dad was in the hospital with some serious problems). So between working 2 jobs and doing that, I lost a lot of study time. I'm not writing it again this year.

It's very difficult to word anything regarding why you might have subpar grades without sounding like you are trying to make an excuse for it. There are certainly valid reasons (You were in the hospital and missed a portion of the semester, death in the family, etc.). I think you should write about it, if that were the case. My file reviews left me under the impression that no one actually read my explanation statement, because when I asked for feedback about it, I got "Um......uh...let me take a look." So that either means it got no red flags and the reviewer had to quickly read my statement and tell me what they thought of it, or no one actually read it and commented on it. Just my personal experience.

Not being good in a subject is not a valid reason to write an explanation statement. What are you going to say? "My math-related course grades are low because I am bad at math." Don't take this the wrong way, but plenty of people struggle with math (and every course ever, to be honest) and study their butts off to ace the course. I think you'd be putting the red flag on your application for yourself if you write it. There is more to your app than grades and experience....something like that can translate into the adcoms thinking you could potentially write off future medical mistakes as "not your fault because you're bad at math."

(You were in the hospital and missed a portion of the semester, death in the family, etc.). I think you should write about it, if that were the case.

That was me! lol. Hospitaliation during finals week.....darn.

Thanks for your replies. Even though VMCAS doesn't open for 5 months, I am getting nervous and contemplating the application process very intensely. So, I guess I am worrying about things that I shouldn't be.
Don't be nervous. I think most of us struggle with math and chemistry (and physics!). I remember asking the vets I worked for a couple years ago for help with some basic general chemistry 1 stuff and they had no idea what to do. A 3.6 is a great cum GPA, btw.
Also, I applied this past application cycle, but withdrew my app yesterday (because I too am challenged and have to retake a pre req). The application process is time consuming and can be frustrating, but a lot of people on here are more than willing to help with different aspects of it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to help. My biggest piece of advice would be to start your VMCAS app early, giving you plenty of time to make any edits if needed. It took me a couple months (and 15 drafts) just to write my personal statement. I'm glad I started early enough that I never felt rushed.
Best of luck!

Take a look at successful applicant threads from past years. Many people get in with a couple of Cs - or worse! No need to write an explanation statement.

Those things seem to happen in the most convenient of times, don't they?

Oh yeah...on the upside, I was on drugs 4x the strength of morphine! Thank you pneumonia, pleurisy and sepsis....

Oh yeah...on the upside, I was on drugs 4x the strength of morphine! Thank you pneumonia, pleurisy and sepsis....
Glad you made it!! How did that work out with school?

Glad you made it!! How did that work out with school?

Thanks! Was definitely scary...And I had to take 8 finals instead of 4 (thank you quarter system) my spring quarter without taking the classes, just the finals. If that makes sense. Got all A's and B's though so I was stoked about that!
But back to OP....I feel that is a legitimate explanation statement. Otherwise they would have been like "what's with all these incompletes..."

Is this like a diagnosed learning disorder or just a suspicion that you have?

If it's just a suspicion, I wouldn't mention it in the explanation statement. If this problem has only netted you two C's so far, that's not a very strong pattern of low performance.

No I have not been diagnosed with a learning disorder. I think I will take everyones advice and just not say anything about it. If it comes up in my interviews then I will be glad to explain.