externship placement with arrest record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shellyk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So until about 2 weeks ago I had a clean record, with an exception to traffic tickets. I have gotten an externship placement for my first practicum in my doctoral program. I want to work in forensic psychology. I was offered the position back in January and plan to start in August.

However, over memorial day weekend I was arrested on charges for possession of a small amount of marijuana. Just possession, nothing more than that. Its a misdemeanor charge, however I have hired an attorney and he assured me that worst case scenario the charges will be conditionally discharged in a year (as long as I get no other charges) and best case scenario it will be dropped to a municipal ordinance which will also be discharged following 1 year of no additional charges. He said that I will also be eligible for expungement a year following the charges being dropped. He assured me that it would not effect my career, but I still have some concerns.

So here's the thing, the court date isn't for a month and a half. So technically speaking the only thing on my record right now is the arrest. However, I am wondering when I do background clearances for my practicum placement and the arrest shows up if it will be grounds for denying me to begin the practicum placement there. We have to do the FBI background clearances, a state-wide background clearance and a child abuse clearance. I plan mostly on working with male sex offenders so I'm just horrified of being denied a practicum placement so late in the game and having to spend another year in the program because of something so stupid on my part.

Has anyone encountered similar situations? Or offer any advice or information that would be helpful?

Thanks so much,
Shelly

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest question is why would you want to work with male sex offenders? That's a rhetorical question so no need to answer. There have been threads about misdemeanor criminal charges on this forum that you might want to search for. This is not something that will probably come up in most background clearance checks; however, many positions in psychology will ask if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. Also, most licensing boards will ask the same question. There are different legal opinions on whether or not expunged charges have to be disclosed and to whom. I actually believe that honesty is the best policy and have always disclosed anything that is asked when applying for a job and it has rarely gotten in the way of my employment. Of course, the legal problems that I have had were pretty far in the past so that can make a difference.

Oh and since you mentioned working in a forensic setting, the background checks in criminal justice tend to be more extensive and they will want to know your entire substance use history. I was unable to get clearance for a practicum placement due to that factor.

Hi all,

So until about 2 weeks ago I had a clean record, with an exception to traffic tickets. I have gotten an externship placement for my first practicum in my doctoral program. I want to work in forensic psychology. I was offered the position back in January and plan to start in August.

However, over memorial day weekend I was arrested on charges for possession of a small amount of marijuana. Just possession, nothing more than that. Its a misdemeanor charge, however I have hired an attorney and he assured me that worst case scenario the charges will be conditionally discharged in a year (as long as I get no other charges) and best case scenario it will be dropped to a municipal ordinance which will also be discharged following 1 year of no additional charges. He said that I will also be eligible for expungement a year following the charges being dropped. He assured me that it would not effect my career, but I still have some concerns.

So here's the thing, the court date isn't for a month and a half. So technically speaking the only thing on my record right now is the arrest. However, I am wondering when I do background clearances for my practicum placement and the arrest shows up if it will be grounds for denying me to begin the practicum placement there. We have to do the FBI background clearances, a state-wide background clearance and a child abuse clearance. I plan mostly on working with male sex offenders so I'm just horrified of being denied a practicum placement so late in the game and having to spend another year in the program because of something so stupid on my part.

Has anyone encountered similar situations? Or offer any advice or information that would be helpful?

Thanks so much,
Shelly

Attorneys can and will use anything to try to discredit your rep and judgment on the stand. If you are going into forensic psych work, you can expect to at least be depo on occasion. I would seriously think about sticking with legal substance use, if I were you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks so much,
Shelly

I hope everything works out for you. Something you may want to consider for down the road is the fact that, depending upon the clearance, you may be asked to self-report any illegal drug usage. I held a clearance at one point, and that was part of my background questionnaire. Another question was if you had ever illegally used a controlled substance while holding a clearance or serving in law enforcement or courtroom proceedings. Even if this is expunged from your record, you may find yourself having to answer these questions during a background investigation, and you definitely do not want to be caught lying. Depending on the position, the investigators can create a network of references (beyond the ones you provide on the form), and these details tend to come out of the woodwork in the end. Something to think about.

I hope everything works out for you. Something you may want to consider for down the road is the fact that, depending upon the clearance, you may be asked to self-report any illegal drug usage. I held a clearance at one point, and that was part of my background questionnaire. Another question was if you had ever illegally used a controlled substance while holding a clearance or serving in law enforcement or courtroom proceedings. Even if this is expunged from your record, you may find yourself having to answer these questions during a background investigation, and you definitely do not want to be caught lying. Depending on the position, the investigators can create a network of references (beyond the ones you provide on the form), and these details tend to come out of the woodwork in the end. Something to think about.

Thank you for the perspective and good wishes, my attorney seems pretty confident that my career will not effected by this,(as there are some county prosecutors with expunged conditional discharges) and almost everyone's responses have been pretty reassuring thus far. From what I remember about the application process at my practicum they asked if I was ever convicted of a crime, which will not be the case. (even after the court date) I'm not sure if this counts at all, but the practicum position I was offered is in a city that has decriminalized the substance, and it is not a federal facility. (the charges were in a neighboring state) Though, that is definitely something that I should think about and be prepared for in the future so I thank you very much for the feedback!

Regarding federal investigations: please do not respond "as though the incident had never happened." I can tell you for a fact that expunged records will show up in a federal background check of sufficient scope. I've seen people lose their clearances due to things they "forgot" to disclose. Also, if the investigator runs an SSBI (single scope background investigation), they're going to do what's called "developing" references, where they start branching out beyond the original reference. You won't know who they're going to talk to. They will also interview neighbors, past employers, etc. You don't get to pick and choose your references. The truth always comes out. There's also always the possibility you may need a polygraph for some positions.

Most state and local background checks are significantly less invasive. Take that for what you will.

I would strongly agree, and I tried to hammer the point repeatedly that my belief was federal agencies can access it, and that working with them like I did is the best way. But I would never tell some local employer

Yeah, I've seen some level of leniency with minor drug charges, as long as the applicant came clean about it and had demonstrated better judgment moving forward. My concern for OP is how recent the occurrence is. But she said her position is not at a federal facility, so hopefully she won't need to worry about it, other than in terms of future, higher level positions.

I promise you that regardless of what happens with expungement, this can and will be found through private investigators who maintain separate databases. You will have to answer for it. Could be somewhere from "not good" to "extremely bad". In a forensic field like sex offender therapy I would almost guarantee you would end up in court with a super high probability of being involved in a child custody case. Here's how I would write th interrogatories.

Atty: tell us about your education
Dr Shelly: blah blah blah
Atty: isn't it true that your training in psychology is part of your overall practice
Dr Shelly: I guess
Atty: and in this training you received some training in ethics?
De Shelby: yes
Atty: and in this training they had things about telling the truth
Dr Shelly: I supposed
Atty: can you read the highlighted sections of the spa ethics code for me? ( passes over principle c)
Dr Shelly: reads
Atty: and can you read standard 2.06 for me?
Atty: thank you. When you were telling us about your training before you mentioned some things about licensing. Is there an application in that ?
Dr Shelly: yes
Atty: I'd like to introduce dr Shelly's application into evidence. Can you read the section about swearing under oath? Can you read xyz sectioin about arrests?
Atty: now dr Shelly can you read this background check i ran through a private investigator.
Atty: So you lied under oath there dr. Since we know you are willing to lie under oath, wouldn't it be safe to assume you are lying under oath now?
Atty: now earlier you said that it it was unethical to practice while impaired and that it was part of practice to train. Wouldn't you say you were violating your professions ethics when you got arrested for marihuana in training ?

This took me like 45 sec to come up with. What do you think a trained atty is going to do?

As for federal agencies: when I worked in a lab with both fissile and controlled substances, the fbi literally found my second grade teacher.

Reactions: 1 users
There's also always the possibility you may need a polygraph for some positions.
Well it's a good thing those can't actually tell if you're lying! But I otherwise agree with your overall point.

Reactions: 1 user
For federal BOP internships, I believe you have to disclose if you have used marijuana in the past 7 years and if you used it on the job in the past 3. I don't know how extensive the background check is for internship.

My take is that if you've been arrested/formally charged at some point, unless it ends up getting thrown out entirely, it's best just to be honest and disclose when asked. As was mentioned, I personally would not act as though it had not happened; I'd rather be denied from the outset than move along and have it come out later that I wasn't honest. There are some situations where "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission;" this isn't one of them.

If they're going to run a background check on you at your current externship placement, again, my personal leaning would be to just go ahead and disclose. It's possible that you'd lose the placement, but as PSYDR pointed out, particularly working in forensics, it's better to have that happen than to have it come out later that you didn't disclose when given the opportunity and were somehow discovered later (even years down the line).

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to think psydr waxes towards the melodramatic, as again according to my state I have the legal right to answer that I was not arrested. Also, on some applications I have filled out they even said I do not have to report expunged record, as this is the point of expungement. Although everyone seems unanimous that you should disclose it to all federal agencies, you should be talking to your lawyer about how to handle places short of that. Private agencies are a mixed bag. Every employer I've worked for used one and none have shown a record, but my girlfriends lawyer dad ran me through his friend before I took her on vacation and that showed it.

I tend to think psydr waxes towards the melodramatic, as again according to my state I have the legal right to answer that I was not arrested. Also, on some applications I have filled out they even said I do not have to report expunged record, as this is the point of expungement. Although everyone seems unanimous that you should disclose it to all federal agencies, you should be talking to your lawyer about how to handle places short of that. Private agencies are a mixed bag. Every employer I've worked for used one and none have shown a record, but my girlfriends lawyer dad ran me through his friend before I took her on vacation and that showed it.

I think the focus on what box can/do I check is bit shortsighted and misses the point many of us are making.

Its discoverable. Period. "Expunged" is simply a legal term. I doesn't really mean it never happened, obviously. The dirt that can get dug up to slander an expert witness, or even the judgment of a non expert (treating) witness has no limits, and to think that this won't get thrown in the face of this person at some point in their forensic career is naïve.

Last edited:
to think that this wont get thrown in the face of this person at some point in their forensic career is naïve.

If that was ever a point I had argued I would probably concede. You can tell from the title the question regards externship placement during which they will probably not find it if it gets expunged. If you want him to ask a different question tell him that. For now, to find a placement, my experience is institutions short of federal don't see it.

I can assure you the charge, even if dropped, will always remain on your FBI background check. A conviction will remain on that check if expunged as well. If the charge gets dropped or somehow reduced to a summary grade offense it will have zero impact on your future. On the other hand, a misdemeanor conviction may have you doing some explaining down the road. It sounds like you're okay for the time being, but if I was in your shoes I'd fight it and expunge it to the best of my financial ability. I think you'll be okay though.

If that was ever a point I had argued I would probably concede. You can tell from the title the question regards externship placement during which they will probably not find it if it gets expunged. If you want him to ask a different question tell him that. For now, to find a placement, my experience is institutions short of federal don't see it.

And I think her question demonstrates a shortsighness about the issue...hence my post.

I don't think consulting with a lawyer would be a bad idea, particularly in the instance of future (potentially more serious/career-impacting) decisions.

My personal philosophy, as I mentioned above, has always been--when in doubt, disclose. But that's not to necessarily say this represents the best or most practical course. I just figure that's generally the most defensible position from an ethical standpoint.

The feds will always see it. I don't have any hard data to support this, but all of my friends that work for the BOP [n of roughly 12] if they had stuff, their stuff popped up. Plus the integrity interview. My advice, be transparent. I had a friend hire two lawyers, paid some serious cash, time, and effort, to get something sealed/ expunged/ never see the light of day. She thought she could then play the semantic card. Went on interviews. Feds saw it. Transparency is going to be key for you with this.

I have to agree self-disclosure is the most ethically defensible position. Based on her interests, I think it's likely she will someday want to apply for federal positions (at which point they'll know her whole life's story). In that position, I would've wanted to be consistently honest from the beginning. I'm not a lawyer though.

I promise you that regardless of what happens with expungement, this can and will be found through private investigators who maintain separate databases. You will have to answer for it. Could be somewhere from "not good" to "extremely bad". In a forensic field like sex offender therapy I would almost guarantee you would end up in court with a super high probability of being involved in a child custody case. Here's how I would write th interrogatories.

Atty: tell us about your education
Dr Shelly: blah blah blah
Atty: isn't it true that your training in psychology is part of your overall practice
Dr Shelly: I guess
Atty: and in this training you received some training in ethics?
De Shelby: yes
Atty: and in this training they had things about telling the truth
Dr Shelly: I supposed
Atty: can you read the highlighted sections of the spa ethics code for me? ( passes over principle c)
Atty: and can you read standard 2.06 for me?
Atty: thank you. When you were telling us about your training before you mentioned some things about licensing. Is there an application in that ?
Dr Shelly: yes
Atty: I'd like to introduce dr Shelly's application into evidence. Can you read the section about swearing under oath? Can you read xyz sectioin about arrests?
Atty: now dr Shelly can you read this background check i ran through a private investigator.
Atty: So you lied under oath there dr. Since we know you are willing to lie under oath, wouldn't it be safe to assume you are lying under oath now?
Atty: now earlier you said that it it was unethical to practice while impaired and that it was part of practice to train. Wouldn't you say you were violating your professions ethics when you got arrested for marihuana in training ?

This took me like 45 sec to come up with. What do you think a trained atty is going to do?

As for federal agencies: when I worked in a lab with both fissile and controlled substances, the fbi literally found my second grade teacher.

Hi PSYDR,

I appreciate the feedback, however I think you have slightly misinterpreted the situation. While this is something that I definitely should prepare for I also don't think being charged for possession makes someone guilty for using said substance while in training or practicing. The only
Definitive evidence is a charge for possession, not use. If it was a DUI or DWI I would totally agree with you. However, there will not be any convictions on my record. People are falsely charged all of the time. While I definitely think an attorney would try to use this I think being prepared to answer this in cross examination in the future would help mitigate this potential threat to my credibility. So I thank you for the perspective so that I may prepare for this in the future.

If I am ever asked about the arrest I would certainly disclose. However if I'm asked about convictions I would not because I will not be convicted of the charge. (a conditional discharge is not a conviction, it's a pending charge that is dropped in a year so long as there is no more charges) I agree honesty is the best policy. I thank everyone for their advice and perspective on the situation.

Hi PSYDR,

I also don't think being charged for possession makes someone guilty for using said substance while in training or practicing.

"I was just holding for a friend...." Is this really what you want try to get people to believe?! Come on man. Own it.

"I was just holding for a friend...." Is this really what you want try to get people to believe?! Come on man. Own it.

Maybe they were just planning on selling it! That's much better, right?

Look I just don't think OP is all that concerned about possible cross examination 15 years from now right now. Yes, she has an interest in this field. But first she wants to do a practicum and just wants to know if this is possible. So relax, and if you want to put your OCPD, narcissism or whatever personality disorder you people/trolls (accordingly) seem to have, do a PSA on your own thread. She's not applying to be a special prosecutor for the FBI right now.

I would ask that if you are going to make personal attacks, that you refrain from throwing out diagnostic labels. It's unprofessional and demeaning to individuals who actually have the disorders.

I would be absolutely shocked if half the people on this forum don't really have them

If you know more than someone who does this for a living... Have at it.
I'm not questioning your credentials, I thanked you multiple times in my previous post, it wasn't sarcastic, I meant it. All I was saying was that possession doesn't mean your are guilty of use. It means you are in possession, and that's all there is evidence for. My post isn't intending to offend anyone, so sorry if you're interpreting it that way.

I'm not questioning your credentials, I thanked you multiple times in my previous post, it wasn't sarcastic, I meant it. All I was saying was that possession doesn't mean your are guilty of use. It means you are in possession, and that's all there is evidence for. My post isn't intending to offend anyone, so sorry if you're interpreting it that way.

Can I ask why a person carries dope on their person unless there is intent to either use it or sell it?

I hope you don't expect any halfway intelligent person NOT to make the inference of use (or distribution, but I think most people will give the benefit of the doubt about that) from this incident?

Can I ask why a person carries dope on their person unless there is intent to either use it or sell it?

Someone in the house/car can have it and others can be charged as well. This is not to say OP doesn't burn them down, I'm sure she does, but there are a literally infinite number of ways to be charged without personally possessing or consuming.

Someone in the house/car can have it and others can be charged as well. This is not to say OP doesn't burn them down, I'm sure she does, but there are a literally infinite number of ways to be charged without personally possessing or consuming.

Is that what happened?

Regardless, you are missing the point. You are charged with possession. People (supervisors, attorneys, colleagues) are going to think: "Dr. X smokes dope."

It silly to think that they wont.

Is that what happened?
Maybe? It was to me

Regarding your edit: of course, I myself would bet money she smoked. I'm just answering your question with additional information because you asked for it

Maybe? It was to me

Regarding your edit: of course, I myself would bet money she smoked.

The OP seems to be putting a lot stake/hope in the fact that people wont...or cant "prove" it. And that's just silly.

Is that what happened?

Regardless, you are missing the point. You are charged with possession. People (supervisors, attorneys, colleagues are going to think: "Dr. X smokes dope."

It silly to think that they wont.

Perhaps they will, but I could imagine that in a court of law what people think does not hold much weight unless there is evidence to back it up. Sure if the attorney wanted to make an inference while cross examining he/she could, but I would think that a 6-7 year old expunged arrest and charge with no conviction (which is how long it would be by the time I would be applying for licensure) might be hard to make valid inferences from about credibility.

Just an FYI, what I've been saying is what I have heard from my attorney, who has worked many high profile cases in the past. (i.e. death row, murder etc...) So I'm not trying to argue with you out of ignorance, I'm honestly just trying to get information and different perspectives on how some people might view this situation. Some of you have been very helpful(for which I'm very grateful for), and some have been very harsh and critical, which is good I suppose because I'm going to run into narrow-minded colleagues in this field I'm sure.

On a slightly lighter note, maybe I'll just apply for internship, post doc and licensure in a state that has legalized it and stay away from federal jobs until its legalized federally XD.

Perhaps they will, but I could imagine that in a court of law what people think does not hold much weight unless there is evidence to back it up. Sure if the attorney wanted to make an inference while cross examining he/she could, but I would think that a 6-7 year old expunged arrest and charge with no conviction (which is how long it would be by the time I would be applying for licensure) might be hard to make valid inferences from about credibility.

Just an FYI, what I've been saying is what I have heard from my attorney, who has worked many high profile cases in the past. (i.e. death row, murder etc...) So I'm not trying to argue with you out of ignorance, I'm honestly just trying to get information and different perspectives on how some people might view this situation. Some of you have been very helpful(for which I'm very grateful for), and some have been very harsh and critical, which is good I suppose because I'm going to run into narrow-minded colleagues in this field I'm sure.

On a slightly lighter note, maybe I'll just apply for internship, post doc and licensure in a state that has legalized it and stay away from federal jobs until its legalized federally XD.

I have said zilch about my personal feelings about cannabis or your use of it. I have suggested that if you value your career, your reputation, and your job prospects, you should cease using an illegal substance...and I have suggested that people will seek to attack you based on this.

Is this "harsh?" Really? To me, this sounds like sage advice from a professional in the field more seasoned than yourself.

Also, if you think credibility of the accusation has anything to do with the ultimate effectiveness of casting doubt on said person, please see the case of Richard Jewell. . .or perhaps just read the social psych literature.

Perhaps they will..
On a slightly lighter note...
I hope you don't say any of those things to your future practicum or cohort. I'm actually siding with erg at this point, God forbid. While I still think you need to bury it deep and apply for jobs accordingly, this line of reasoning is not the way to do it.

I have said zilch about my personal feelings about cannabis or your use of it. I have suggested that if you value your career, your reputation, and your job prospects, you should cease using an illegal substance...and I have suggested that people will seek to attack you based on this.

Is this "harsh?" Really? To me, this sounds like sage advice from a professional in the field more seasoned than yourself.

I wouldn't quite say its "sage" advice, more like common sense advice, advice in which I have already taken prior to writing this post. But nonetheless thank you for your opinion. The "harsh" comment was not targeted at you directly.

I hope you don't say any of those things to your future practicum or cohort. I'm actually siding with erg at this point, God forbid. While I still think you need to bury it deep and apply for jobs accordingly, this line of reasoning is not the way to do it.

No of course I wouldn't. I was joking...

No of course I wouldn't. I was joking...
There are few safe jokes in this field, and none of them about things that relate to perceptions of your ethical reasoning

There are few safe jokes in this field, and none of them about things that relate to perceptions of your ethical reasoning
Well I guess its a good thing that my identity is not affiliated with this site then.

I have been cross examined and none of my past has come up, so far. If or when it does, I would answer honestly and forthrightly and have no fear that I would be caught in a lie as I have always disclosed exactly what has been asked. My experience has been that they tend to focus more on my credentials and reasoning. Maybe that is just because I have not been involved in a high profile case.

More importantly though, I am still wondering where the criticism about harshness of posts is coming from? It seems to me that people are merely reflecting the reality of the situation. Psychologists are licensed healthcare professionals with an expectation of high ethical standards. The harshest post I saw was an attack against posters for being obsessive. Well, when it comes to following ethical standards and laws, obsession with the details is the expectation. The decisions that we make on a day to day basis affect peoples lives. The students who are on this board are in the process of becoming psychologists and I do not think that we should sugarcoat or water down our communications so that we don't hurt their feelings.

I said OCPD as a reference to excessively rigid standards of morality and then given in an unsolicited way towards others, not because they're obsessive about anything reasonable

and some have been very harsh and critical, which is good I suppose because I'm going to run into narrow-minded colleagues in this field I'm sure.

Then perhaps you would like to enlighten us on who has been "harsh and critical" toward you. How is this related to "narrow-mindedness"?

I will say that, although there are far many things worse, when reviewing pediatricians for my son, I think one with an arrest record for almost anything would give me at least some pause. I think its very natural and quite reasonable for people to conflate personal habits with professional competency and reliability.

Last edited:
Then perhaps you would like to enlighten us on who has been "harsh and critical" toward you. How is this related to "narrow-mindedness"?
Are you trolling at this point? I AGREE with you, but at this point you're just setting OP up for embarrassment and idiocy

my summary:

Op asked if she should tell the truth. Some people advised her to tell the whole truth. Some people found this offensive.

my summary:

Op asked if she should tell the truth. Some people advised her to tell the whole truth. Some people found this offensive.

Tom Cruise handled the truth. 10 years later, it caught up with him. Or so I suspect.

I said OCPD as a reference to excessively rigid standards of morality and then given in an unsolicited way towards others, not because they're obsessive about anything reasonable
As a psychologist we are held to a higher standard and when we make an error in judgement that leads to an arrest, there will be some 'splaining to do. That's just the way it is. I fail to see how pointing this out is an example of an excessively rigid standard of morality. I think you are reading more into it than what anyone said.