externship placement with arrest record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I fail to see how advising against engaging in illicit substance use imposes or suggests "excessively rigid standards of morality."

I'm not suggesting that the OP shouldn't dance or stay out past 10 on a school night. Advising a licensed healthcare professional not to engage in illegal behavior of substance use seems like, to quote to OP, "common sense advice."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What my only point boils down to is that my career has gone great never telling anyone, and I wouldn't have a career if I went around volunteering it. The idea that I would sabotage the progress of my entire adult life for some oversheltered probably-homeschooled person's ideas of what I "should" do is literally laughable

Members don't see this ad :)
What my only point boils down to is that my career has gone great never telling anyone, and I wouldn't have a career if I went around volunteering it. The idea that I would sabotage the progress of my entire adult life for some oversheltered probably-homeschooled person's ideas of what I "should" do is literally laughable

12 years of Catholic school. Wanna fight about it? :)

I would certainly not advise sharing it either. But disclosure, when requested, is almost universally preferable to attempts at hiding or deception.

A man pays his debt. And a man owns his mistakes. Words to live by. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Why the use of the first person all of the sudden?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the primary difference here is that the OP wants to go into forensic psych, which will involve positions with higher security clearance and more extensive background checks (as well as people trying to find anything at all possible to discredit OP on the stand). Also, I think people are just saying that if an application outright asks you, it's probably better to admit it than to risk them finding out later. I can imagine that this might come up for internship applications, for instance.

We should see just how much hyperbole we can squeeze into this thread.
When a true genius comes into the world you may know him by this sign - that all the dunces are in confederacy against him

Cara, I don't understand your post. It's way too straightforward. Could you make a few outlandish claims and gross exaggerations and repost?

That sounds like something someone with antisocial personality disorder would ask! I can't imagine how you can be a therapist! Do you talk to your clients that way??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the primary difference here is that the OP wants to go into forensic psych, which will involve positions with higher security clearance and more extensive background checks (as well as people trying to find anything at all possible to discredit OP on the stand). Also, I think people are just saying that if an application outright asks you, it's probably better to admit it than to risk them finding out later. I can imagine that this might come up for internship applications, for instance.

The problem with this is that these prognostications are predicated on OP actually becoming a forensic psychologist, clearly a preposterous possibility. At best she will become a part time county prison psychologist. A win-win as she will both relate better to her clientele and have time to write a memoir based on her life in crime

The problem with this is that these prognostications are predicated on OP actually becoming a forensic psychologist, clearly a preposterous possibility. At best she will become a part time county prison psychologist. A win-win as she will both relate better to her clientele and have time to write a memoir based on her life in crime
Hey! I use to work as a part-time psychologist for a county jail! :p