extracurrics: quality vs quantity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gina_g

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as extracurriculars go, I've only been really involved starting this school year. In February, I started to help out with research. In the beginning of April, I volunteer for a club that directly helps the underserved. Also, in the beginning of last month, I've also started to observe optometrists -- I've observed three so far and I volunteer at this one optometry place, all in the setting of academia. I plan to observe more optometrists before I apply, such as one in private practice, one who primarily works with the underserved, and one who works with an opthamalogist.

I plan to stick with all three of my extracurriculars until June of next year. By the time I apply in Sept/Oct, the total time I've been involved does not equate to about a year's worth time of volunteering. Does it matter how long has one been involved for one's application to be strengthened or is it what I do/get out of it that matters?

(I know this sounds like a no-brainer question but I just wanted to make sure... :confused: )

Thanks for reading :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi gina g,

yes it is quality that matters most and also how you sell these activities on your application. make sure youe state how what you have done will help make you a better optometrist - ie research has taught you how to think more analytically. goog luck, kick butt on your oat, keep that gpa up and you should be just fine :love: