Failed APPE Pharmacy Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's crazy that you went to High Point. I went to UNC so this is the first I'm hearing about that program and it's rotations. I remember being at a conference though and some highpoint students offering me their bedazzled, glitterified business cards o_O Not the best outlook for that school in my eyes. I've only heard poor things but this is very eye-opening

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd also never encourage anyone to apply there...it's gotta be the most expensive school in NC :eek:

That's crazy that you went to High Point. I went to UNC so this is the first I'm hearing about that program and it's rotations. I remember being at a conference though and some highpoint students offering me their bedazzled, glitterified business cards o_O Not the best outlook for that school in my eyes. I've only heard poor things but this is very eye-opening
Right. It is pretty shady they made my parents pay $60,000 for just 1 year including $3,000 for this rotation, and then to top it off, they said, "I have to repeat P1 year"-even though it was a summer rotation and they could have let me make it up before P2 year. I mean I know my family can afford the tuition, but to cheat my parents is f****ed up!!!! It's the principle that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I know my family can afford the tuition, but to cheat my parents is f****ed up!!!! It's the principle that counts.

Your college has no principles, and they know your family can afford--hence that is why they made sure to take advantage of them.

Reactions: 1 users
It's $60k a year?! Bruh...
Why would you have even signed up for that? There's no way I would have even started pharmacy school if I was paying that much. Dude you're already $240k in the hole for tuition alone and I know that doesn't include living expenses. Tbh that's not worth it. You should have just gone the state school route if you really wanted to go.

Your college has no principles, and they know your family can afford--hence that is why they made sure to take advantage of them.
Right that's exactly what my parents said.

It's $60k a year?! Bruh...
Why would you have even signed up for that? There's no way I would have even started pharmacy school if I was paying that much. Dude you're already $240k in the hole for tuition alone and I know that doesn't include living expenses. Tbh that's not worth it. You should have just gone the state school route if you really wanted to go.
Yeah, I've learned my lesson to stay the f**k away from private schools. I'm only thinking about public schools. Tbh, I don't go to HPU anymore so at least I don't have to worry about paying anymore. I can see why many in-state NC residents only apply to UNC for pharmacy school. Plus, the campus atmosphere at UNC is waaaaaaaaay better!!!

Hello, it’s been a while since I been on here. I tell you my past experience for pharmacy rotations were horrible. But in the end I do have a pharmD and one step closer to getting my license. I passed the Naplex already. I just have to pass the MPJE. If anyone has a rotation where the preceptor is a bully, definitely talk to your course coordinator if there is any issue. Most of the time it’s the preceptor fault, especially if you did well in pharmacy school like me. Looks like I came out fine after my past of failing rotations. Just from looking at all my posts on here, I been thru a lot of stress as you can see. Once I pass my state Mpje, my license is in my hands and I can finally save patient lives!

tennismaniac, I’m sorry you had to go thru this. Your situation kinda reminds me of mine, but even worse since it’s 3 days out of the 4 weeks. I know from my experience overall that it really matters about what preceptor you get. I actually went to a private school too but different from yours. From reading your story you are definitely unlucky. An normal and understanding preceptor would atleast document what you did wrong and give you an chance to improve. They need to give the students a chance and document by law. Since it’s rare to fail a rotation, the preceptor would have to be so mean in order to fail a student. I had 6 out of 8 rotations where the Preceptors were understanding and made sure everything was done correct following the rules. And I learned more from those Preceptor’s and became more competent. For the IPPE coordinator to side with the preceptor is pretty messed up and wrong. I don’t know why Preceptor’s want to give students a hard time and fail students if they are having a bad day and don’t feel like working. That pharmacist needs to get fired from precepting since I know if I had that pharmacist, maybe the same thing would happen to me. And Preceptor’s have been thru pharmacy school and it is a hard field. Not sure why then they have to give students a hard time even even though their preceptor probably did not give them a hard time at all. And it’s an ippe rotation too. Often preceptors would give students a chance if they atleast tried and worked hard and let them pass before going to appe rotations. That’s like saying oh this student didn’t have good standing posture, I am going to fail you because of that. Shake my head.

It was worse than failing retail -- I managed to fail a LTC pharmacy rotation (a pharmacy that was bought out by Omnicare.) The funny thing is that I legitimately don't even remember exactly what it was they failed me for. But it happened after I complained about how all I was doing was tech work for 10 hours a day.

Somehow, I always got better marks for the internal medicine-type of rotations than the "fluff" rotations. Actually, I know how I did. I suck at masking my feelings and I hate having my time wasted. My apathy for pointless rotations likely shined through very strongly.
Man, I had it worse than you. I failed my first internal medicine rotation with a focus on ID. It almost became a trickle down effect because this preceptor knew my other preceptors or in some cases friends with the other preceptors in the medicine/ambulatory care rotations/the DI rotation. However, I made Bs on all of those rotations and the make up IM rotation.

Oh, I thought I was the only student who had failed a pharmacy rotation. I was supposed to be at my site for 4 weeks in the summer, but my preceptor was a first class bitch. In fact, what she did was so unforgivable, it makes me so F*****G PISSED. Day 1-I worked with the other pharmacist. I filled prescriptions, answered phone calls, attended to customers, organized the stock shelves, and actively participated in the pharmacy. Granted it was my first day on the job, so I was still getting accustomed to the workflow and the computer system. The other pharmacist was busy with inventory work and told me not to disturb him, which I understood. Day 2-did the same tasks as Day 1 and the last 2 hours, my preceptor comes in to work before I was done for the day. She does not even know me. She sits me down and apparently accuses me of things that I did not do. She said I was lazy and not participating in the pharmacy-which was not true. She also accuses me of having no interest in this profession, which is bull**** considering she had never worked with me at all. I believe the other pharmacist lied to her. So I tried explaining my side of the story and she accuses me of arguing. So I apologize "let her win" and proceeded to work with her for two hours. I could not understand why she was making these accusations. During the two hours, there was no teaching, academic instruction, assessment or discussion involved. I literally just counted pills and answered the phone. Later that night, after I left, she called the IPPE coordinator at my school and decided within two hours that I was not capable of passing and when I walked in on my 3rd day, I saw my IPPE coordinator and my preceptor and they both said I failed the rotation. LET ME SAY THIS WAS THE WORST MOMENT OF MY ACADEMIC CAREER. It's F****D up. How can I fail when the preceptor did not work with me??? More than the preceptor I blame the school and apparently a bunch of ****/lies was said about me so the preceptor could justify failing me. It was all subjective and none of it was based on my knowledge. IN FACT, IT IS INHUMANE TO MAKE STUDENTS PAY $3,000 FOR THIS COURSE and and fail them for no reason. I learned nothing from my rotation. In fact, I talked to the dean and the academic affairs committee and they basically said the preceptor had every right to fail me. Not sure if its worth taking legal action.
Damn, I would have sued the school

Damn, I would have sued the school
I considered suing the school, however I felt like I did not have tangible proof as evidence so I felt the "best way" is to just walk away. Which is why do not go there anymore. The school is High Point University btw-a picturesque hellhole.

Hello, it’s been a while since I been on here. I tell you my past experience for pharmacy rotations were horrible. But in the end I do have a pharmD and one step closer to getting my license. I passed the Naplex already. I just have to pass the MPJE. If anyone has a rotation where the preceptor is a bully, definitely talk to your course coordinator if there is any issue. Most of the time it’s the preceptor fault, especially if you did well in pharmacy school like me. Looks like I came out fine after my past of failing rotations. Just from looking at all my posts on here, I been thru a lot of stress as you can see. Once I pass my state Mpje, my license is in my hands and I can finally save patient lives!
I would have totally talked to my IPPE coordinator but not sure if it would have been worth it. Because my preceptor talked to me at the end of day 2 then later that night she called the IPPE coordinator to have me pulled from this rotation. With no documentation, no warning and after working with my for less than 2 hours. The IPPE coordinator sided with the preceptor for no f*****G reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish we had the preceptors side. Or that we were getting the whole side of your story. You say they worked with you for less than 2 hours so presumably you made a pretty strong impression on them in that time frame or you did something really bad before that to warrant the preceptor not even wanting to work with you at all. The idea that you were kicked out for not showing an interest in that timeframe is pretty incredible/unbelievable.

I think the saddest part is there is nothing for you to learn from it if that was all the feedback you got. If you got more feedback please share it with us so we can have a more complete picture.

I considered suing the school, however I felt like I did not have tangible proof as evidence so I felt the "best way" is to just walk away. Which is why do not go there anymore. The school is High Point University btw-a picturesque hellhole.
Well, what proof do they have. Based on what you described, this might have been a false accusation. Anyways, I have had it just as bad in a non-private school. I had a preceptor tell other professionals, I.e. attending physicians, that my recommendations should not be taken seriously because I am a poor student, but luckily I just busted my butt and got through that rotation.

Well, what proof do they have. Based on what you described, this might have been a false accusation. Anyways, I have had it just as bad in a non-private school. I had a preceptor tell other professionals, I.e. attending physicians, that my recommendations should not be taken seriously because I am a poor student, but luckily I just busted my butt and got through that rotation.
I mean the school probably is going to be biased toward the preceptor because they don't wanna lose anymore of their sites. So to answer your question, they don't have tangible proof. Only the statement from both pharmacists who work there, who are loyal to each other, so they told LIES. The school also told lies as well. For example, I briefly sat down for 2 min. when there were no scripts to fill, the phone was not ringing & no customers were waiting. The preceptor wrote in her statement that I complained about working in various aspects of the pharmacy. I.E. sitting down. I did not complain or have any negative views about working at the pharmacy during the rotation. That B***H lied just to f**k with me. This should not used as grounds to fail someone because it is ridiculous. So a lot of the things were taken out of context. I agree I briefly sat down for 2 min, but only after I was walking up and down-filling scrips, answering phone calls, putting drugs back on the shelves.

Last edited:
tennismaniac, I’m sorry you had to go thru this. Your situation kinda reminds me of mine, but even worse since it’s 3 days out of the 4 weeks. I know from my experience overall that it really matters about what preceptor you get. I actually went to a private school too but different from yours. From reading your story you are definitely unlucky. An normal and understanding preceptor would atleast document what you did wrong and give you an chance to improve. They need to give the students a chance and document by law. Since it’s rare to fail a rotation, the preceptor would have to be so mean in order to fail a student. I had 6 out of 8 rotations where the Preceptors were understanding and made sure everything was done correct following the rules. And I learned more from those Preceptor’s and became more competent. For the IPPE coordinator to side with the preceptor is pretty messed up and wrong. I don’t know why Preceptor’s want to give students a hard time and fail students if they are having a bad day and don’t feel like working. That pharmacist needs to get fired from precepting since I know if I had that pharmacist, maybe the same thing would happen to me. And Preceptor’s have been thru pharmacy school and it is a hard field. Not sure why then they have to give students a hard time even even though their preceptor probably did not give them a hard time at all. And it’s an ippe rotation too. Often preceptors would give students a chance if they atleast tried and worked hard and let them pass before going to appe rotations. That’s like saying oh this student didn’t have good standing posture, I am going to fail you because of that. Shake my head.
Right! EXACTLY. See my pharm school was only 2 years old and even the IPPE coordinator emailed me saying she doesn't like students at all, which makes me wonder why she's even a preceptor. I believe this could have been masked racism since I am south asian and the preceptors grounds for failing me were for frivolous nonacademic reasons. For ex. during the rotation, I said, "oh, I should have worn better shoes with stronger support." And the other pharmacist told her I was complaining about working at the pharmacy saying it's hard for my feet. THAT'S NOT WHAT I F*****G SAID AT ALL!!! When I tried to explain what really happened, she accused me of arguing with her. that's so f****d up!!!!

I mean the school probably is going to be biased toward the preceptor because they don't wanna lose anymore of their sites. So to answer your question, they don't have tangible proof. Only the statement from both pharmacists who work there, who are loyal to each other, so they told LIES. The school also told lies as well. For example, I briefly sat down for 2 min. when there were no scripts to fill, the phone was not ringing & no customers were waiting. The preceptor wrote in her statement that I complained about working in various aspects of the pharmacy. I.E. sitting down. I did not complain or have any negative views about working at the pharmacy during the rotation. That B***H lied just to f**k with me. This should not used as grounds to fail someone because it is ridiculous. So a lot of the things were taken out of context. I agree I briefly sat down for 2 min, but only after I was walking up and down-filling scrips, answering phone calls, putting drugs back on the shelves.
Wow, that is ridiculous. Shows that they are extremely politically correct. What is also alarming is the preceptor did not give you a midpoint evaluation, which is against ACPE standards. Glad you left the school.

Wow, that is ridiculous. Shows that they are extremely politically correct. What is also alarming is the preceptor did not give you a midpoint evaluation, which is against ACPE standards. Glad you left the school.
Oh really, I had no idea they were going against the ACPE standards. High Point University is not an accredited institution, so they may have been able to get away with this ****. Those selfish b*****ds!!!!

I'm assuming you meant not politically correct.

I'd also never encourage anyone to apply there...it's gotta be the most expensive school in NC :eek:
I actually consulted an educational lawyer about this and they said I had a case. However, due to the time & expense factors, I decided the best thing was to "walk away." When I sat with the dean to review my case, I actually asked him, "Are professors actually allowed to fail/dismiss students-like before the semester ends?" HE ACTUALLY SAID YES. NO LIE. He actually admitted the the school went against the guidelines by not giving an academic warning. The IPPE coordinator & preceptor told LIES in their statement saying, "the preceptor gave a warning and a documented list of reasons for me to improve" which is B******T. DID NOT HAPPEN. It is f****d up the school makes students PAY FOR THESE COURSES and they have the authority to fail them. I can understand if there's cheating or academic misconduct. But that is just RIPPING PEOPLE OFF and they're going against their values of giving students an equal opportunity to succeed.

Oh really, I had no idea they were going against the ACPE standards. High Point University is not an accredited institution, so they may have been able to get away with this ****. Those selfish b*****ds!!!!

Going to an unaccredited school is always a huge risk.

At least you actually got to complete that rotation. Unlike me. :( Also, even the dean of High Point Pharm School (he was a different person last year than this year) F*****G LIED SAYING- Oh, "you actually had two preceptors." WTF this is the first time I was hearing this-after I failed the rotation. He purposely said this just to justify why it was okay for them to fail me. High Point University's pharmacy school staff lies and there are no logical explanations for their reasoning. I have been told that they reject every students argument because they don't like students coming in and complaining-even if the student does have a valid point. Even if the other pharmacist was my preceptor, he told me not to bother him since he was doing inventory-so if I was gonna have 2 preceptors for my rotation site, it should have been made clear to me well ahead of time. Plus, I asked him a question about the workbook we were supposed to do, and he said, "oh, you'll have to ask Susan (the preceptor)." I was supposed to be at the site for 4 weeks and I was failed and dismissed after the 2nd day. With no teaching, no discussion. No patient care activities, etc.

• Sad
I did my rotations in 2015-2016 and I was certainly put through the wringer as well. There were a couple of rotations I thought I was going to fail, and got a C in them. Got A's in all other ones. It really does depend on who's looking over you. One of them literally crippled my self-esteem and faith in myself. Now as a practicing pharmacist who is widely recognized as good at my job by staff as well as patients, I see how full of **** they were, and if I ran into them again, I'll just say that I wouldn't speak to them any more than I have to.

I know our situations are not similar. However, let me see the good of your argument: one should not let rotations define their career as a future pharmacist.

The school committed educational malpractice: FYI.

I did my rotations in 2015-2016 and I was certainly put through the wringer as well. There were a couple of rotations I thought I was going to fail, and got a C in them. Got A's in all other ones. It really does depend on who's looking over you. One of them literally crippled my self-esteem and faith in myself. Now as a practicing pharmacist who is widely recognized as good at my job by staff as well as patients, I see how full of **** they were, and if I ran into them again, I'll just say that I wouldn't speak to them any more than I have to.
FYI: I appreciate your words of wisdom. I don't want you to think I am dismissing your argument by sounding pessimistic.

FYI: I appreciate your words of wisdom. I don't want you to think I am dismissing your argument by sounding pessimistic.

To be honest, I didn't even see your post. I was just posting my general thoughts on my APPE experience. Glad you could take something positive from my post.

In my case, the school
I had a student once council a patient that brand name medications are better than generic. I told her she was never allowed to say that to another patient at my pharmacy and she argued with me about it. I simply told her if she did I would not allow her to council again at all. It does not matter to me at all that she can practice in a “good and different way” when it is her license. It’s my way or the highway as long as I am the preceptor.

So depending on what “her way” means it might still have been reasonable to fail you. But not without giving you a fair chance to improve.

I wish we had the preceptors side. Or that we were getting the whole side of your story. You say they worked with you for less than 2 hours so presumably you made a pretty strong impression on them in that time frame or you did something really bad before that to warrant the preceptor not even wanting to work with you at all. The idea that you were kicked out for not showing an interest in that timeframe is pretty incredible/unbelievable.

I think the saddest part is there is nothing for you to learn from it if that was all the feedback you got. If you got more feedback please share it with us so we can have a more complete picture.

I'm not sure if you're insinuating it's my fault. However, my preceptor grading me was highly subjective and not based on any valid proof. Again, I was failed and dismissed after the 2nd day-with no warning, midpoint evaluation, discussion or teaching involved. My preceptor did not even give me a list of documented areas to work on. Toward the end of the second day, she explained what I have to work on, but she did not give me a chance to improve because the same day she called the IPPE coordinator to have me pulled/failed from the rotation. I was unaware I was coming across a certain way, so I apologized for unintentionally giving off the wrong impression. I did not do anything bad at all. No patient was hurt and no one was offended. Maybe your rotation/teaching experience may be way different and your school might have had a different set of rules which is why it's hard for you to understand my perspective-which is fine. I'm not gonna ask/beg for sympathy.

But even though this was bull***t, they said they felt I was not interested (which was LIES-considering the amount of work I did). It was the little things that occur-nothing drastic happened. For example, that day I was two minutes late and she made such as big deal. My shift started at 11 am and I showed up at 11:02 (which was basically 11). Also, when we met for the first time the day before, she mentioned how, you only tell no more than 3 points to counsel a patient and I added, "you wouldn't say the MOA" and she thought I was arguing, which was bulls**T. There was also a limit to what I could do b/c they said I couldn't use the register and I was still learning how to use the computer system. Plus, there were hardly any customers during certain times of the day. That's not my fault-it's just the nature of retail pharmacy. Also, during my half hour break, outside Starbucks, I had my head down. And apparently the store manager saw this and he asked the other pharmacist if I was okay. But this was perceived as me being unprofessional (I was not even behind the pharmacy counter-IT WAS DURING MY FRICKIN BREAK). They took this situation out of context. I briefly sat down when there were no customers or no work to be done and apparently she wrote that I "complained about various aspects of the pharmacy. i.e. sitting down. WTF!!!! THE LIES!!! I also said that I should have worn better shoes since I was on my feet and they said I was having a bad attitude. But to derail my academic career by taking things out of context is inhumane and unforgivable. 1) I should have been given a chance to improve 2) preceptor should have given a warning, according to the ACPE guidelines 3) none of these things were based on anything academic/pharmacy related. Basically the other pharmacist I worked with lied and took things out of context and my d****ss preceptor and the IPPE coordinator jumped to conclusions.

No offense, but you at least got to complete and pass your rotation.

Thepharmstudent1111m think you need to think of your experience from another prospective. All preceptors were once student and understand what the consequences of failing a rotation will be. It takes a lot of gut to fail a student and not feel guilty or regret it about it by the end of the day. While venting on the forum will help relieve stress, figuring out why a preceptor would actually fail you will benefit you in the long run. If a preceptor did not like all students from a school, they do not and will not stay as a preceptor. Preceptors, for most part, do not get paid and do not receive any type of compensation.

As a student, I had a preceptor that I disliked so much that I still use her as an example to my students to this day. I tell my students, you will not like every preceptor, however, there is always something to learn from them, such as, what NOT to be. I may not have received an A but I still did not fail her rotation. As a preceptor, I am a tough retail pharmacy rotation for P4 students, because my logic is this: In a years time or less you will be sitting in my very position with no one to guide you. People's lives are at your hands and being a retail pharmacist requires more knowledge than just being able to count by 5's. From what you said, you think a preceptor should not fail a student if you feel that student may cause harm as a pharmacist and do harm to the patients in the community?
Students still have a whole year to prep for the boards you know? They’ll have to take Naplex and law and pass in order for them to even practice. Don’t fail a student if they show up on time, are respectful, and willing to learn. If they don’t know something, teach them. Give them a C instead but to fail them? That’s too harsh

• Dislike
Students still have a whole year to prep for the boards you know? They’ll have to take Naplex and law and pass in order for them to even practice. Don’t fail a student if they show up on time, are respectful, and willing to learn. If they don’t know something, teach them. Give them a C instead but to fail them? That’s too harsh
necro thread warning - haha

For me and many of my classmates went through similar rotations. I did my rotations in 16-17 and I remember a couple of preceptors were pretty close to failing me. Luckily they did not, but looking back at it now it was mostly because of me being too straight forward and not understanding people rather than my skills as a student/pharmacist. The no nonsense personality of mine who would refuse to waste my time did not do well in certain settings. In the real world people mostly care about themselves, including preceptors and how you make them feel more than you the student. So many times it's all about putting on a smile even when people are wrong and making them feel good about themselves.

For me and many of my classmates went through similar rotations. I did my rotations in 16-17 and I remember a couple of preceptors were pretty close to failing me. Luckily they did not, but looking back at it now it was mostly because of me being too straight forward and not understanding people rather than my skills as a student/pharmacist. The no nonsense personality of mine who would refuse to waste my time did not do well in certain settings. In the real world people mostly care about themselves, including preceptors and how you make them feel more than you the student. So many times it's all about putting on a smile even when people are wrong and making them feel good about themselves.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess you are the top pharmacist at your current worksite?

I am going to go out on a limb and guess you are the top pharmacist at your current worksite?
I am not the PIC at my site since my partner has 15 years of experience over me however I am lucky to have a Mon-Friday 8-5 job and get a decent raise every year so I think just doing the job and nodding my head and smiling to everyone is working for me so far better than the alternative :)

Tell me you’re on the spectrum without telling me you’re on the spectrum.

I am not the PIC at my site since my partner has 15 years of experience over me however I am lucky to have a Mon-Friday 8-5 job and get a decent raise every year so I think just doing the job and nodding my head and smiling to everyone is working for me so far better than the alternative :)
I think you missed the sarcasm.

I think you missed the sarcasm.
oh the point that I am not a good pharmacist? Well who's opinion is this based on? My rotations didn't have much to do what I do now, I really have no reason to prove to anyone if I am good pharmacist or not. I am happy where I am and enjoy what I do which is more that what could be said about many pharmacists out there. The OP was about having terrible preceptors and I have experienced that and my point was that looking back I could have handled it better.