Failed Obgyn clerkship...future prospects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntelInside

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why did you fail the rotation? Was it because you failed the shelf exam or was it due to preceptor grading? Failure due to preceptor grade will probably be worse.

Last edited:
Agreed, the reason for failing is important. For general surgery, honestly I think you'll be fine. There are a lot of people specializing in surgery now, and the average board score for general surgery is not that high. Last I heard was in the high 220s? Someone correct me if I am wrong. Regardless, I would definitely address it in your personal statement in a subtle, triumphant way. That way when you interview, you can reference that as a "learning experience" of sorts. You are in a tough spot, but I don't think it's the end of the world if you did well on surgery and have good LORs.

If it was for professionalism or some other preceptor-based report, you need to start thinking about prelims or transitional years, being completely and brutally honest.