Failed out of DO program, trying to get back in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be a lot to ask, but would you mind telling us which schools are easy to fail out of besides yours? I'd like to know before I get into a school like that.

Great question to ask your student tour guide.

Members don't see this ad.

EVERY school is easy to fail out of if you don't do the work.

I know, but some schools tend to work with you more than others. Some see that you failed two classes and you're done, like the OP. Other schools get you tutoring to help with your courses or with test-taking skills, let you remediate over the summer, allow you to repeat the year if need be. If after all that, you still can't pass, then I can understand. But like OP, I can see where someone would have a hard time adjusting to med school and make mistakes at the beginning of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
no offense, but I really don't think you can be choosy at this point. If you get dismissed from an osteopathic school, you would still have to report that to any allopathic schools you'd be applying to. If a DO school admits you after getting dismissed you should literally erect a shrine of gratitude to that admissions committee.

No offense, but you don't understand the situation at all. If I could afford a lawyer, my former school would be at the losing end of a lawsuit right.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally wouldn't blame/put down the whole DO profession because of one school's policies for dismissing a student.

It was their obvious disregard for the osteopathic philosophy that they love to preach. I just won't buy into it anymore.

I know, but some schools tend to work with you more than others. Some see that you failed two classes and you're done, like the OP. Other schools get you tutoring to help with your courses or with test-taking skills, let you remediate over the summer, allow you to repeat the year if need be. If after all that, you still can't pass, then I can understand. But like OP, I can see where someone would have a hard time adjusting to med school and make mistakes at the beginning of the program.

My former school would work with students who were failing all their classes. However, they had no patience for a student with an 85 average who missed 4 OTM labs due to a chronic illness. Go figure. You won't know until you're in, but it's a good question to ask at an interview.

My former school would work with students who were failing all their classes. However, they had no patience for a student with an 85 average who missed 4 OTM labs due to a chronic illness. Go figure. You won't know until you're in, but it's a good question to ask at an interview.

That is such BS you should sue the pants off of them!

Here here! Thats the kind of school I need to go to, where they don't always have a gun to your head. Attending an institution that constantly emphasizes the consequences of failure and their dang "2 strikes and you're screwed" rule ALL the time breeds extra problems. Add that to a pre-existing weakness and it's all over for me (at least at that particular place). I'm positive that I could have been successfully remediated, and if I had been at ANY allopathic school and the majority of other D.O. schools, that's what would have happened. In stead, I lose two full years, instead of one, and have to remediate myself... which would be fine aside from it being difficult to be readmitted elsewhere with the dismissal on my record.

Last edited:
Now on the other hand, I've seen students who fail 6, 7, 8 classes (some more than once) who continue to be in school. I've seen people take 4 or even 5 years to do the first two years of school due to repeated failing of courses. There comes a time where you have to look at someone and say "you just don't have it."

Here here! Thats the kind of school I need to go to, where they don't always have a gun to your head. Attending an institution that constantly emphasizes the consequences of failure and their dang "2 strikes and you're screwed" rule ALL the time breeds extra problems. Add that to a pre-existing weakness and it's all over for me (at least at that particular place). I'm positive that I could have been successfully remediated, and if I had been at ANY allopathic school and the majority of other D.O. schools, that's what would have happened. In stead, I lose two full years, instead of one, and have to remediate myself... which would be fine aside from it being difficult to be readmitted elsewhere with the dismissal on my record.

So this is kind of harsh, but you should probably sit down and seriously think whether or not med school is for you and you definitely have to stop complaining that your previous med school didn't help you enough. You failed anatomy... twice. That's not a good sign; the vast majority of med students pass their first year classes and if they do fail a course, they remediate over the summer. If they don't remediate successfully, then that's a sign that a student may not be able to handle the academic rigors of med school.

First year does come as a bit of a shock because their is an increase in the volume of work, however, it's also going to be one of the easiest of your years as far as material is concerned-- the pace is slower than second year and during third year you're working your ass off and studying at night. If you can't pass your anatomy course, how are you going to do when things get even more difficult; how are you going to pass your boards?

I don't think that an SMP is going to help you very much because those tend to assist students who fooled around in undergrad, have a low gpa, and are trying to prove that they can handle med school curriculum. You tried actual med school, and didn't do well. That's a big red flag.

Will you get in another osteopathic school? I have no idea but I can tell you a US allopathic school isn't going to take you. You could consider the Caribbean, but that is a huge investment and even if you don't fail out (attrition rate is high in offshore schools), then you have to worry about matching.

The first time I took the MCAT was in 1996, it showed up on my score report. Either way you do it, any MCAT you take at any time WILL show up. Since you have a really big hole to dig yourself out of, why are you going to make it deeper by not divulging the whole truth by yourself?

You need to show that you CAN succeed in a program. You have already shown that you cannot. Anything you do that is negative will probably earn you an automatic rejection.

AACOMAS automatically uses the extant score report from a previous application as long as it is within 3 years. This is different from when you did it, because they even allow you to auto-copy a previous application starting last year in its entirety.

If you don't release a new score, they cannot find out about it. I released first in 2007, and that's what they're using. All scores are reported automatically to AMCAS but who cares since I'm not even using AMCAS, right?

I agree that I need to show that I can handle it, and if I have the option of not having a 2 point lower score sitting there on the application, it's obviously preferable, even though they say they'll use the higher score.

This might be a lot to ask, but would you mind telling us which schools are easy to fail out of besides yours? I'd like to know before I get into a school like that.

I definitely agree that it seems like some schools are more understanding than others are. You might want to ask on the current med student forums what the policies on remediation are at their schools. Asking at an interview could backfire if it gets back to the wrong person and they think it means you are going into things expecting to fail.

All I can say is that my impression always was that my alma mater (MSUCOM) is very understanding and tends to work with students to help them stay in school rather than quick to kick them out. Though I never failed a class while I was there, the atmosphere there was a lot less stressful just knowing that the attitude there was so supportive.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this is kind of harsh, but you should probably sit down and seriously think whether or not med school is for you and you definitely have to stop complaining that your previous med school didn't help you enough. You failed anatomy... twice. That's not a good sign; the vast majority of med students pass their first year classes and if they do fail a course, they remediate over the summer. If they don't remediate successfully, then that's a sign that a student may not be able to handle the academic rigors of med school.

First year does come as a bit of a shock because their is an increase in the volume of work, however, it's also going to be one of the easiest of your years as far as material is concerned-- the pace is slower than second year and during third year you're working your ass off and studying at night. If you can't pass your anatomy course, how are you going to do when things get even more difficult; how are you going to pass your boards?

I don't think that an SMP is going to help you very much because those tend to assist students who fooled around in undergrad, have a low gpa, and are trying to prove that they can handle med school curriculum. You tried actual med school, and didn't do well. That's a big red flag.

Will you get in another osteopathic school? I have no idea but I can tell you a US allopathic school isn't going to take you. You could consider the Caribbean, but that is a huge investment and even if you don't fail out (attrition rate is high in offshore schools), then you have to worry about matching.

OK thanks for your input. At the risk of sounding equally harsh, I'd like to clarify something for your obvious lack of reading comprehension: I didn't have the opportunity to remediate anything. I failed two different classes, the second one by a much slimmer margin than the first, so there was obvious improvement/upward trend (9 vs 1.5) but in both system the anatomy was the major problem dragging me down, hence my focusing on it so much. I find it ironic that the allopathic schools wouldn't consider me, since NONE of them would have treated in the same way as my first DO school, but that's the truth.

This is irrelevant, though, as I'm only interested in D.O. anyway. In fact, most of your post is irrelevant since you obviuosly didn't read my OP correctly. It's ok, you're probably burnt out for some reason... I try to look on the brighter side:) lol

OK thanks for your input. At the risk of sounding equally harsh, I'd like to clarify something for your obvious lack of reading comprehension: I didn't have the opportunity to remediate anything. I failed two different classes, the second one by a much slimmer margin than the first, so there was obvious improvement/upward trend (9 vs 1.5) but in both system the anatomy was the major problem dragging me down, hence my focusing on it so much. I find it ironic that the allopathic schools wouldn't consider me, since NONE of them would have treated in the same way as my first DO school, but that's the truth.

This is irrelevant, though, as I'm only interested in D.O. anyway. In fact, most of your post is irrelevant since you obviuosly didn't read my OP correctly. It's ok, you're probably burnt out for some reason... I try to look on the brighter side:) lol

Fine, you're right, I'm wrong. You failed first year because you failed both semesters of anatomy and by kind of a lot (47 in any class is not exactly cutting it).

You just seem to have this attitude of "it's not my fault, my school wouldn't help me..." which is kind of disturbing. You failed out of med school, so own it and take a realistic look at yourself. If you can't pass first year of med school (d/t anatomy or not), do you really think that you're going to make it through the rest of med school and training because things just get tougher from here on in.

What school was that? That's CRAZY!

Now on the other hand, I've seen students who fail 6, 7, 8 classes (some more than once) who continue to be in school. I've seen people take 4 or even 5 years to do the first two years of school due to repeated failing of courses. There comes a time where you have to look at someone and say "you just don't have it."

I agree. There's no excuse for taking that long to complete the first two years or failing that many times. Was this at UNE or just in general?

Fine, you're right, I'm wrong. You failed first year because you failed both semesters of anatomy and by kind of a lot (47 in any class is not exactly cutting it).

You just seem to have this attitude of "it's not my fault, my school wouldn't help me..." which is kind of disturbing. You failed out of med school, so own it and take a realistic look at yourself. If you can't pass first year of med school (d/t anatomy or not), do you really think that you're going to make it through the rest of med school and training because things just get tougher from here on in.

I'm glad you were able to extract a little more out of my OP...perhaps a third read would yield full understanding. I am compelled to direct you to the multiple parts where I admit I had a problem and have spent the last year or so addressing it. I have done nothing with my life but own up to it since it happened...if you have any advice (besides giving up), I'd like to hear it. As I said, I'll do anything.

If I complain a little too much about the fact that my first school discarded me without giving me the chance to fix my issues myself (which is all I would have liked/asked for...I cannot imagine how this is not obvious but apparently it requires clarifying) I apologize, everyone until you has been sympathetic, but what do they know right?

I agree. There's no excuse for taking that long to complete the first two years or failing that many times. Was this at UNE or just in general?

I agree that's totally insane!!!

OK I didn't have the opportunity to remediate anything. I failed two different classes, the second one by a much slimmer margin than the first, so there was obvious improvement/upward trend (9 vs 1.5) but in both system the anatomy was the major problem dragging me down, hence my focusing on it so much.

Uhhh...hate to point this out, but in med school we play for keeps. There is no such thing as an upward trend if you are failing. You do not get the benefit of the doubt when you go from utterly failing (47%) to almost not failing (69%). You are a professional student, and as such you are held against rigid standards. You knew the consequences of failing a second class, and yet you failed. If I was on your academic review board and you put forward that argument, steam would have literally shot from my ears.

Uhhh...hate to point this out, but in med school we play for keeps. There is no such thing as an upward trend if you are failing. You do not get the benefit of the doubt when you go from utterly failing (47%) to almost not failing (69%). You are a professional student, and as such you are held against rigid standards. You knew the consequences of failing a second class, and yet you failed. If I was on your academic review board and you put forward that argument, steam would have literally shot from my ears.

You may as well have been. I'm pretty sure steam did shoot out of the anatomy prof's ears. That wasn't the only argument I put forth, I mean I did present a course of action to address the clear-cut problem and didn't want advanced standing or anything.

I'm not saying I deserved to be advanced, I just wanted to start over, thats what the review board had before them, and your reaction was consistent with yours. Maybe you could elaborate a little further as to why you don't think it was a reasonable course of action? Thanks for input.

That's just it. Med school isn't just about the students and making sure they succeed, it's about producing competent physicians. If a student fails a block d/t very dismal grades (47 on an exam-- fine, but a 47 as his anatomy average is pretty concerning) and can't figure out a way to succeed the second semester, then the disciplinary committee has a responsibility to evaluate whether or not the student is going be able to meet the standards in medicine. In this case, they thought he couldn't.

There are acceptable reasons for not succeeding in med school (i.e. undiagnosed learning disability, severe depression, family reasons), but stating that you had a difficult time in anatomy and didn't like working with cadavers isn't one of them.

Well, you have two strikes against you. First, and foremost is your dismissal from your previous school. Second, is your middling MCAT score. 24 is a borderline score for regular applicants at DO schools. Matriculates with scores in that area generally have some other outstanding quality (High GPA, ECs, etc). If you are going to reapply, you need to put for a cogent argument as to why an adcom should accept someone who as already failed over someone who has not attended school yet. Since you asked, my advice would be to go to PA school

In general. You'll find such students almost everywhere. And some transfer students fall into this category (NOT ALL - just some. I definitely know of some). Even schools with policies of only two remediated classes, or after two failed courses you repeat a year, whatever... rules are bent all the time. And I question whether the schools are really doing the profession a favor by helping such students to pass. Medical school is supposed to produce competent physicians, not the best pass rate. And if they make a mistake in allowing someone in that can't cut it, they have the responsibility to cut the student earlier rather than later before their student debt is so large they can't possibly pay it off.

That's just it. Med school isn't just about the students and making sure they succeed, it's about producing competent physicians. If a student fails a block d/t very dismal grades (47 on an exam-- fine, but a 47 as his anatomy average is pretty concerning) and can't figure out a way to succeed the second semester, then the disciplinary committee has a responsibility to evaluate whether or not the student is going be able to meet the standards in medicine. In this case, they thought he couldn't.

There are acceptable reasons for not succeeding in med school (i.e. undiagnosed learning disability, severe depression, family reasons), but stating that you had a difficult time in anatomy and didn't like working with cadavers isn't one of them.

I don't comprehend how not being ready for medical school is not a valid reason for getting a second crack at it. Thanks for your opinions.

Well, you have two strikes against you. First, and foremost is your dismissal from your previous school. Second, is your middling MCAT score. 24 is a borderline score for regular applicants at DO schools. Matriculates with scores in that area generally have some other outstanding quality (High GPA, ECs, etc). If you are going to reapply, you need to put for a cogent argument as to why an adcom should accept someone who as already failed over someone who has not attended school yet. Since you asked, my advice would be to go to PA school

OK thanks for weighing in.

I'm not sure I understand the animosity that seems to have developed in the past few posts....

How many schools did you end up applying to? I have a list of 13 osteopathic schools and a few allopathic. I'm actually applying to more than I did the first time.

It's strange to me that you are interested in practicing psychiatry....

I'm not sure I understand the animosity that seems to have developed in the past few posts....

How many schools did you end up applying to? I have a list of 13 osteopathic schools and a few allopathic. I'm actually applying to more than I did the first time.

Me either. Best of luck I'm sure you'll get back in somewhere :thumbup:

No animosity on this end. From my point of view however, it is going to be extremely difficult to get in after getting dismissed. With 30k people applying for 12k spots (or whatever it is) supply and demand is really your worst enemy here. I am just a very blunt person, and I guess that doesn't translate well to anonymous message boards. My main msg would be, if you are a re-app who was dismissed, it would be in your best interest to have a solid backup plan and not to delude yourself into thinking you have an even shot at gaining an acceptance.

Dont most schools specifically state they will not consider any applicant that has been dismissed from any medical school in the past?

Dont most schools specifically state they will not consider any applicant that has been dismissed from any medical school in the past?

This is true of many schools, but many allow the dean of the school to consider bypassing this rule on a case by case basis. I have permission from several such deans. A few schools will consider previously dismissed applicants without extra measures like that.

This is true of many schools, but many allow the dean of the school to consider bypassing this rule on a case by case basis. I have permission from several such deans. A few schools will consider previously dismissed applicants without extra measures like that.

Well, there you go. It seems you will have to pick your schools very carefully and triple check to make sure it isn't a lost cause before you even send anything.

I've been lurking the thread and I also don't sense animosity but rather as futIDdoc said, blunt statements. You're in a very difficult position and I commend your efforts before and after your dismissal, but the advice and realizations here are valid, as cold as they may be.

Well, there you go. It seems you will have to pick your schools very carefully and triple check to make sure it isn't a lost cause before you even send anything.

I've been lurking the thread and I also don't sense animosity but rather as futIDdoc said, blunt statements. You're in a very difficult position and I commend your efforts before and after your dismissal, but the advice and realizations here are valid, as cold as they may be.

I sense no animosity from futIDdoc...from others I am not so sure. I just get annoyed when people make statements without first assimilating the information in the OP (and I'm sure others do as well, but I'll just say what we're thinking). Thanks for lurking and posting :)

I think some of you are being to harsh on BonesDO. Yes, he failed and didn't do well. However, he is trying hard to continue on with his medical education. How many other people would do the same thing?

With that being said, my recommendation is to re-apply to DO programs and carribean schools. The end game is the same. You will be a doctor and that is all that matters. Do not listen to all the pessimists saying you won't match from an overseas school.

Good luck and keep trying hard. If given a second change though don't make them regret it.

I think some of you are being to harsh on BonesDO. Yes, he failed and didn't do well. However, he is trying hard to continue on with his medical education. How many other people would do the same thing?

With that being said, my recommendation is to re-apply to DO programs and carribean schools. The end game is the same. You will be a doctor and that is all that matters. Do not listen to all the pessimists saying you won't match from an overseas school.

Good luck and keep trying hard. If given a second change though don't make them regret it.

Thanks I'm applying to a bunch of DO's and a couple carib's. I'm really hoping one of the DO's pans out. I mean, I was wait listed at TOURO NY and Rocky Vista last cycle, and both said it was mostly due to how late in the cylce I had applied ( verified in March, interviewed late April. I was in the last interview group at both schools).

I have a question for anyone who may know. How long did it take after you were verified to get secondaries from:

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL Released 10/16/09
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Released 10/16/09
Georgia Campus - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, GA
Released 10/16/09
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Released 10/16/09
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, OH
Released 10/16/09
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Released 10/16/09
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Released 10/16/09
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Released 10/16/09
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
Released 10/16/09
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine, MS
Released 10/16/09

I have ones already from both PCOM's, CCOM and LECOM. Thanks!

It's strange to me that you are interested in practicing psychiatry....

That's fine, you're pre-med, right? Being on the wards, I've learned isn't all about being warm and fuzzy, it's about being objective and sometimes you just have to tell the truth even though it hurts because people need to hear it. Compassion and empathy are requirements, but so is honesty. If someone's future doesn't look great, you have an obligation to your pt to to let them know the true prognosis.

Hi OP

Did you take a university level anatomy class with cadavers after you were dismissed to show you can do it??? This might be helpful

Best of luck

Hi OP

Did you take a university level anatomy class with cadavers after you were dismissed to show you can do it??? This might be helpful

Best of luck

Actually no, do you know of where in NY state I could do that by any chance? That sounds like a great idea but I for some reason thought cadaver anatomy study was limited to professional programs. If not that's something I should def. do. Very good idea, if anyone else knows where I could do that, I'm willing to travel. I live in Chenango County in NY.

Very best wishes to you, Bones! Don't give up if this is what you truly want!:luck::xf::)

That's fine, you're pre-med, right? Being on the wards, I've learned isn't all about being warm and fuzzy, it's about being objective and sometimes you just have to tell the truth even though it hurts because people need to hear it. Compassion and empathy are requirements, but so is honesty. If someone's future doesn't look great, you have an obligation to your pt to to let them know the true prognosis.

More of a Dr. Phil than a Carl Rogers then? =) Did my undergrad research in health psychology. It's important to empower a patient, and yes, honesty is part of that. You might want to work on the empathy though. That hasn't really come across in your posts.

I will admit, I was a bit harsh on the pregnant drop-out's thread in the reapplicant forum, so I can't really judge.

(I've been through two years of med school (including some clinicals), but yes, I am a pre-med again.)

POTW-- Make sure that you mention that you mention your undgrad health psychology research on all of your shadowing and rotation experiences. Since you are pre-med, I am very certain that the residents, attendings, and other med students would love to get pointers from you on how to handle pts.

Bones, I really wish you well. I graduated from MSUCOM and I was an extended student- I was really struggling with anatomy. As someone else mentioned, MSUCOM is pretty understanding.

One thing you might want to check out is how all of this would affect your chances of matching. APROGRAMDIRECTOR is awesome about answering pms and posts as well, he posts in the general residency section and maybe he could give you some input.

Again, I really wish you well, you have a lot of heart.

This thread has turned into a battlefield, not exactly what I envisioned when I started it! So...any comments on where to find an open cadaver anatomy class in NY? I've googled my ***** off and can't find a damn thing.

Bones, I really wish you well. I graduated from MSUCOM and I was an extended student- I was really struggling with anatomy. As someone else mentioned, MSUCOM is pretty understanding.

One thing you might want to check out is how all of this would affect your chances of matching. APROGRAMDIRECTOR is awesome about answering pms and posts as well, he posts in the general residency section and maybe he could give you some input.

Again, I really wish you well, you have a lot of heart.

Thanks so much! I contacted MSU admissions via email and they said that I could not be considered for admission, but I just emailed again asking to appeal directly to their dean, Dr. Strampel. I'll let you know what they say. I'll PM Aprogramdirector also, thanks!

Thanks so much! I contacted MSU admissions via email and they said that I could not be considered for admission, but I just emailed again asking to appeal directly to their dean, Dr. Strampel. I'll let you know what they say. I'll PM Aprogramdirector also, thanks!

Come to Vegas.:) My school has cadavars.:D

It's actually AProgDirector, I misspelled it the first time.
If I were a program director, I'd love to take someone who went through all that you did, it would show that you really really want this, but who knows how program directors think, I am guessing they don't all think like I do.

The policy at MSU may be set in stone, maybe not. I don't know who makes the decisions at MSUCOM, but I think that most students dealt mostly with Dr.Falls- the Dean of Students for academic problems and other issues. Again, it may or may not matter who you contact there, but if you're given the option of a few people to deal with, I'd take Dr.Falls. (nothing at all against Dean Strampel, he does a lot of good for MSUCOM), but Dr.Falls was really sympathetic and even helped me out with anatomy (he teaches part of the course, at least he did when I was a first year).
I can tell you though that the tuition for out of state students at MSUCOM is crazy!
I think we're all pulling for you.:luck::luck:

This thread has turned into a battlefield, not exactly what I envisioned when I started it! So...any comments on where to find an open cadaver anatomy class in NY? I've googled my ***** off and can't find a damn thing.

When you say open cadavers, do you mean prosected ones?

POTW-- Make sure that you mention that you mention your undgrad health psychology research on all of your shadowing and rotation experiences. Since you are pre-med, I am very certain that the residents, attendings, and other med students would love to get pointers from you on how to handle pts.

Don't you have better things to do than irritate people online? He asked whether I was a pre-med... I answered.

Also just realized you started med school...what like a month ago? That gives you incredible insight into everything....

Last edited:
More of a Dr. Phil than a Carl Rogers then? =) Did my undergrad research in health psychology. It's important to empower a patient, and yes, honesty is part of that. You might want to work on the empathy though. That hasn't really come across in your posts.

I will admit, I was a bit harsh on the pregnant drop-out's thread in the reapplicant forum, so I can't really judge.

(I've been through two years of med school (including some clinicals), but yes, I am a pre-med again.)

You went through two years of med school and you had to leave for illness? Unless you had some kind of mental illness that compromised the safety of your patients, I can't imagine any med school kicking you out for illness. Why didn't you take a leave of absence?