Failed out of DO program, trying to get back in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EM is becoming more and more competitive. Several in last year's UNE class who were top of the class in board scores, 2nd and 3rd year grades, etc. got their 6th or 8th rank choice. A couple didn't match at all. I was shocked - I thought several of them would get their top choice and be a shoe-in.

Also, be aware about 80% of all med students change their minds regarding their specialty (and all of them say "Oh, I won't change my mind" before 3rd year clinical rotations). Just worry about doing well in med school then look at your options later.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd be completely fine with FP if needed, but like ShyRem said it's kind of getting ahead of myself. I have to focus on kicking butt in school before I really start thinking about specialty training.

My main concern was with regard to getting a residencyanywhere at all. ShyRem, some of the people who didn't match at all were in the top of the class at UNE?? What do they do with that year's time before they can apply to match again? Is there anything they can do to make themselves more competitive?

Many people who don't match either don't rank enough programs, or they apply to competitive specialties. All scrambled into something... whether their desired specialty or a TRI year.

I hope I don't have to find out what to do with a year you don't match... my match is coming up. Rank lists are due next month. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people who don't match either don't rank enough programs, or they apply to competitive specialties. All scrambled into something... whether their desired specialty or a TRI year.

I hope I don't have to find out what to do with a year you don't match... my match is coming up. Rank lists are due next month. :scared:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine :). Is getting into a TRI very easy to do and does it make it a lot easier to match the 2nd time?

Got into Touro! ... I have NO idea what I'm going to do... I liked RVU a little better but am scared that I won't get the loan... I have a 667 credit score and no access to a cosigner and RVU can't promise anything... Im also very concerned about the boards results of the class of 2012 at Touro... omg... anyone want to weigh in on this any further?

Got into Touro! ... I have NO idea what I'm going to do... I liked RVU a little better but am scared that I won't get the loan... I have a 667 credit score and no access to a cosigner and RVU can't promise anything... Im also very concerned about the boards results of the class of 2012 at Touro... omg... anyone want to weigh in on this any further?
Personally, I think how you perform on the boards is reliant on your motivation/ability. If you are a highly motivated individual, you will perform fine on the boards (given that you have the ability). I would be more concerned with the financial aspects of RVU than the board preparation of another school. Also, does RVU have a proven track record with preparing students for the boards? (an actual question, I don't know).

However, you should weigh other aspects: rotation sites, living area/community, faculty/student body... there are significant differences between RVU and Touro with respect to these aspects.

Congrats on the acceptances, and good luck with your decision.

Personally, I think how you perform on the boards is reliant on your motivation/ability. If you are a highly motivated individual, you will perform fine on the boards (given that you have the ability). I would be more concerned with the financial aspects of RVU than the board preparation of another school. Also, does RVU have a proven track record with preparing students for the boards? (an actual question, I don't know).

However, you should weigh other aspects: rotation sites, living area/community, faculty/student body... there are significant differences between RVU and Touro with respect to these aspects.

Congrats on the acceptances, and good luck with your decision.

Hi Dude,

Thanks for your input, which school are you going to attend? Touro or the LECOM in FL? Why?

RVU does not have a proven track record yet, but they do quite a lot to prep their students for the boards (kaplan class/access to review question banks from Dec of 2nd year etc). I guess my view tends to be that no record is better than one of failure... but if all the med schools thought that way I wouldn't ever have been reaccepted. The financial aspect @ RVU does scare me also...

I agree with the above poster that your performance on the boards has more to do with you than the school. Just make sure you get an early start to studying for boards (you may want to buy a copy of First Aid for Step 1 when you start classes and read the info in there that relates to each class as you go along, adding notes of your own, do some questions in a question bank for each subject, etc.).

I agree with the above poster that your performance on the boards has more to do with you than the school. Just make sure you get an early start to studying for boards (you may want to buy a copy of First Aid for Step 1 when you start classes and read the info in there that relates to each class as you go along, adding notes of your own, do some questions in a question bank for each subject, etc.).

My copy of first aid came in the mail last week . . . I also have recorded lectures for board prep that I pipe through my work computer/head phones when I'm not doing anything and I just google terms I haven't heard yet like tension pneumothorax and Cardiac tamponade etc...

So I think I'm going to go to RVU . . . I got a much better impression of the school and the location is 1000x better (IMO anyway, Harlem versus Parker). The facilities are superior in every way (again IMO). I am a firm believer that how you feel at a certain place has a lot to do with how you're going to perform there, so that's the main motivation in the decision. I apparently do have access to a cosigner now in case I need it but hopefully won't... Although the cost of attendance of Touro and RVU are very similar on paper, I believe that I can keep it down to under 57k/year at RVU rather than over 64k at Touro and live a heck of a lot better at the same time. I can get a 1100 sqr foot place for < 800 in CO as opposed to 650 sqr ft place for > 1500 in harlem.

I've looked into the faculties at both schools and many of the professors at RVU came from other established schools (Nova and Texas COM to name a couple) and have stayed at least this far. Touro has had a major shuffling in their faculties, and although the current 1st and 2nd years seem to think they have it better than the first class that took the boards, this remains to be seen. Since I interviewed at both schools twice, I had a chance to interact on a personal level with 4 of each schools' professors, as they both do a 2 on 1 interview style. Again I was just more impressed/comfortable with the prof's from RVU than the ones from Touro. No offense to Touro but for me RVU just seems to be a better fit. I also find myself not caring about the for-profit status of the school. I think anyone who views any university/med school as fundamentally not-for-profit is really kidding themselves. Again no offense to anyone just IMO. Besides that 90% of people I've talked to about this think that board scores >>>>> 3rd/4th yr Grades >>> what school you attended, and again I think how I preform will be directly correlated with my comfort level at the place I'm studying.

I also canceled my WCU interview because I want to conserve $ for possible interviews at DMU or UNE or either PCOM. I still am hoping that UNE interviews me, as my pre-med committee chair neglected to click on that school when preparing my virtual evals back in August, so I was only complete there just before christmas. So I'll let you know if anything happens in that regard.

Reactions: 1 user
My copy of first aid came in the mail last week . . . I also have recorded lectures for board prep that I pipe through my work computer/head phones when I'm not doing anything and I just google terms I haven't heard yet like tension pneumothorax and Cardiac tamponade etc...

So I think I'm going to go to RVU . . . I got a much better impression of the school and the location is 1000x better (IMO anyway, Harlem versus Parker). The facilities are superior in every way (again IMO). I am a firm believer that how you feel at a certain place has a lot to do with how you're going to perform there, so that's the main motivation in the decision. I apparently do have access to a cosigner now in case I need it but hopefully won't... Although the cost of attendance of Touro and RVU are very similar on paper, I believe that I can keep it down to under 57k/year at RVU rather than over 64k at Touro and live a heck of a lot better at the same time. I can get a 1100 sqr foot place for < 800 in CO as opposed to 650 sqr ft place for > 1500 in harlem.

I've looked into the faculties at both schools and many of the professors at RVU came from other established schools (Nova and Texas COM to name a couple) and have stayed at least this far. Touro has had a major shuffling in their faculties, and although the current 1st and 2nd years seem to think they have it better than the first class that took the boards, this remains to be seen. Since I interviewed at both schools twice, I had a chance to interact on a personal level with 4 of each schools' professors, as they both do a 2 on 1 interview style. Again I was just more impressed/comfortable with the prof's from RVU than the ones from Touro. No offense to Touro but for me RVU just seems to be a better fit. I also find myself not caring about the for-profit status of the school. I think anyone who views any university/med school as fundamentally not-for-profit is really kidding themselves. Again no offense to anyone just IMO. Besides that 90% of people I've talked to about this think that board scores >>>>> 3rd/4th yr Grades >>> what school you attended, and again I think how I preform will be directly correlated with my comfort level at the place I'm studying.

I also canceled my WCU interview because I want to conserve $ for possible interviews at DMU or UNE or either PCOM. I still am hoping that UNE interviews me, as my pre-med committee chair neglected to click on that school when preparing my virtual evals back in August, so I was only complete there just before christmas. So I'll let you know if anything happens in that regard.

Good Luck Bones. I wish you the absolute best and successful second chance at becoming a doctor. You have definitely inspired me on my path to doctorhood.:)

Good Luck Bones. I wish you the absolute best and successful second chance at becoming a doctor. You have definitely inspired me on my path to doctorhood.:)

Thanks Punk! I've really appreciated all your positive energy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OUCOM?? Wow. One of the best. If you can deal with the OOS 5 year contract, or have the bling to buy out of it ... you're set.

OUCOM?? Wow. One of the best. If you can deal with the OOS 5 year contract, or have the bling to buy out of it ... you're set.

If they took me I'd gladly live in Ohio for the rest of my life!

Whats this deal with OUCOM? a five year thing? I never heard of this...

If you aren't a resident of Ohio, then you sign a contract stating that you will practice for 5 yrs in Ohio. Depending on your specialty some/all of residency may count (if it is in Ohio).

Or use your pimp money to buy out the contract :D.

Sent in my first deposit to RVU. :)

I feel really good about my decision and am glad I don't have to think about pros/cons constantly anymore. I'll still go on any interviews I'm offered but even if I don't get in anywhere else, I'm quite happy. I can just focus on continuing to study and staying sharp for late July!

Sent in my first deposit to RVU. :)

I feel really good about my decision and am glad I don't have to think about pros/cons constantly anymore. I'll still go on any interviews I'm offered but even if I don't get in anywhere else, I'm quite happy. I can just focus on continuing to study and staying sharp for late July!

Congrats again man! Go get 'em!

So, I've been toying with the idea of applying for Air Force and/or Navy HPSP scholarships. I've always liked the idea of becoming an officer in the military and think going overseas to serve would be very rewarding. My question is, with my less than rosy history with NYCOM, do you think I'd be considered for these scholarships? I'm fairly certain they require transcripts from both undergrad and grad.

Thanks!

So, I've been toying with the idea of applying for Air Force and/or Navy HPSP scholarships. I've always liked the idea of becoming an officer in the military and think going overseas to serve would be very rewarding. My question is, with my less than rosy history with NYCOM, do you think I'd be considered for these scholarships? I'm fairly certain they require transcripts from both undergrad and grad.

Thanks!

Check out the milmed forum. Did you go on your other interviews yet?

Check out the milmed forum. Did you go on your other interviews yet?

Thanks PunkmedGirl I dont know why I didn't think of that. I posted a thread on there, lets see what they think.... My OU-COM interview still hasn't materialized. The director of admissions told me to expect something in Feb, but I haven't heard anything. I'm happy with RVU, so I'm not pushing the issue too hard.

Thanks!

go for it!

Thanks PunkmedGirl I dont know why I didn't think of that. I posted a thread on there, lets see what they think.... My OU-COM interview still hasn't materialized. The director of admissions told me to expect something in Feb, but I haven't heard anything. I'm happy with RVU, so I'm not pushing the issue too hard.

I hear ya. I'm so proud that you've made it this far.

Me too! Forget that jerk in the milmed forum. I can see being mad at the AOA or the RVU administration, but there is no reason to be rude to the students who are working just as hard as anyone else. (I'd have posted this there but didn't want to provoke an argument.)

I would be more than happy to be treated by a physician out of RVU, especially if they were you, Bones. :)

Dang...let me go read that.

haha thanks guys :) I'll let you know what happens with my HPSP application.

Good luck with that. If you do not want to go DO again, then why are you asking for a list so you can apply again? Why are you trying to take a seat from a student that really WANTS to be a DO?

First off I didn't think you would be able to get back in, unless you didn't list that you were in the DO school.

As for the person claiming someone who really wants to be a DO, I love it!!! "someone who really wants to be a DO" is someone who doesn't get into an MD school, with the exception of about 5 people in my class. Anyone else claiming that is lying and I'm sorry to burst your bubble, I bet you're the type of person that fakes cranial as well dont you? But we wont focus on your pointless commentary.

So- Go ahead and try to get in if this is what you wish, just dont try TCOM because this school is hard since they try to boost their curriculum with pointless extra classes since they receive grant money for them. Also they tend to use old exam questions that were used, require attendance even if the person lecturing cant teach, withold study material from you, have told us its "prohibited" and against "school regulations" to go out and seek material from previous years for what they call CILs because it is supposed to be an "interactive session" where we should already come prepared- which we all have previous years notes so we go ahead and answer since the answer is on the powerpoints, and there are more problems with this school but you get the point, pick a different one. I suggest you pick a new one and either lie to them (since they are less likely to catch it) or tell them (since they should be interested in making money- since they are "for profit" schools), also dont go to denver because that is where the majority of old tcom faculty is headed recently.

Hey I just read you got into RVU- watch out Dr Dubin is the old dean of tcom and he'll claim he's the reason the board scores have gone up in tcom, the reality is that TCOM is included in the application process of TMDSAS (this is the md school apps for all of texas MD schools apart from baylor med which is private) the real reason is that the students applying generally have higher GPAs and MCAT scores.

Since you got in, just go and be happy, time to study hard again, not that you weren't the first time. I suggest you talk to as many upper classmen as possible and find out what was on the exam last year and what to focus on, also anyone that tells you to read everything is full of BS but by now I'm sure you know this. Good luck, and dont trust anyone from TCOM...lol.

Last edited:
As for the person claiming someone who really wants to be a DO, I love it!!! "someone who really wants to be a DO" is someone who doesn't get into an MD school, with the exception of about 5 people in my class. Anyone else claiming that is lying and I'm sorry to burst your bubble, I bet you're the type of person that fakes cranial as well dont you? But we wont focus on your pointless commentary.

I got into both and chose DO. I didn't care about the letters, I looked at location and clinical affiliations as being more important. Don't assume just because you couldn't get into an MD school that everyone else couldn't either (although that is the case with many).

Since you got in, just go and be happy, time to study hard again, not that you weren't the first time. I suggest you talk to as many upper classmen as possible and find out what was on the exam last year and what to focus on, also anyone that tells you to read everything is full of BS but by now I'm sure you know this. Good luck, and dont trust anyone from TCOM...lol.

So you made this screenname to pretty much B*&%@ about your school? I think there are posts now officially whining about every DO school, crying about how "unfair" their school is. You should've gone to the Carribean.

I got into both and chose DO. I didn't care about the letters, I looked at location and clinical affiliations as being more important. Don't assume just because you couldn't get into an MD school that everyone else couldn't either (although that is the case with many).

So you made this screenname to pretty much B*&%@ about your school? I think there are posts now officially whining about every DO school, crying about how "unfair" their school is. You should've gone to the Carribean.

I made this because there are too many people giving answers that are simply full of crap about this school and ive decided (free to ask anyone who wants to tell you what I responded to them) to give them what I think about it. So far the most common question is ive only gotten into TCOM and out of state DO schools aside from the carribean, my response "if you dont get in anywhere else then come here because of the tuition being lower".

Hey I just read you got into RVU- watch out Dr Dubin is the old dean of tcom and he'll claim he's the reason the board scores have gone up in tcom, the reality is that TCOM is included in the application process of TMDSAS (this is the md school apps for all of texas MD schools apart from baylor med which is private) the real reason is that the students applying generally have higher GPAs and MCAT scores.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So you're one of the bitter second years who got pimped by Dubin. And since you can't grow a pair you decided to create a user name on a forum just so that you can feel better about yourself and bash the school?

What pisses me off the most is that there are hundreds of just as capable, if not more, people out there who didn't get in, but your ungrateful self is wasting time complaining instead of dealing with cons, WHICH EXIST AT EVERY SCHOOL.

Everyone, for heaven's sake, make your own judgments.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd be completely fine with FP if needed, but like ShyRem said it's kind of getting ahead of myself. I have to focus on kicking butt in school before I really start thinking about specialty training.

My main concern was with regard to getting a residencyanywhere at all. ShyRem, some of the people who didn't match at all were in the top of the class at UNE?? What do they do with that year's time before they can apply to match again? Is there anything they can do to make themselves more competitive?

Its hard to ever be more desirable than straight out of med school. Rank enough programs that you are guaranteed to match. Not matching is a NIGHTMARE!

DOstudentTCOM, you are a bit of an ass. I messaged you to see why you disliked TCOM so much because I am thinking about going there. Not only did you not reply, you pretty much quote my message word for word in your post. So clearly you read it, but decided to not be helpful at all.

Thanks a lot.

Also, I just want to point out that DOstudentTCOM claims "so far the most common question is 'I've only gotten into TCOM and out of state DO schools aside from the carribean.'" Just to be clear, I sent that message to him. I sincerely doubt there are lots of people in my exact same situation (getting into mutliple DO schools and MD schools in the caribbean) messaging DOstudentTCOM. Just seems highly unlikely

So really, what he/she means to say is that he has received one message like that. I guess he/she wanted to sound impressive.

DOstudentTCOM, you are a bit of an ass. I messaged you to see why you disliked TCOM so much because I am thinking about going there. Not only did you not reply, you pretty much quote my message word for word in your post. So clearly you read it, but decided to not be helpful at all.

Thanks a lot.

Also, I just want to point out that DOstudentTCOM claims "so far the most common question is 'I've only gotten into TCOM and out of state DO schools aside from the carribean.'" Just to be clear, I sent that message to him. I sincerely doubt there are lots of people in my exact same situation (getting into mutliple DO schools and MD schools in the caribbean) messaging DOstudentTCOM. Just seems highly unlikely

So really, what he/she means to say is that he has received one message like that. I guess he/she wanted to sound impressive.

Ouch.

Do you think I was too mean punkmed? Sorry, I was just extremely annoyed. I thought "hey, before I commit to a school I should hear all the positives and negatives about it first." I asked DOstudentTCOM because he seemed willing to explain his dislike of the school. Now it appears that he just created his account to spam these message boards with anti-DO and anti-TCOM nonsense.

DOstudentTCOM, if you have legitimate points, please help me out and share them with me. If I am wrong about you, I will gladly apologize.

I think TCOM is a great school. There are a few downsides to it though. My critiques may not even be still valid since it was from 4 years ago. Just look into these things for yourself.

1. I didn't like how you had to use their computers because all of your "books" were on them. I like to highlight, underline, and have a real book. This computer thing was not good with my learning style.
2. Their main hospital was in limbo when I applied. Just check to see where their students do clinical rotations. They could well be amazing by now.
3. Their summers were on the short side. I wasn't so concerned because I needed breaks, but because I wanted to do research, volunteer, etc. To compare, my school gives 8 weeks off between MSI-MSII. TCOM only gave 2 weeks. Not near enough time for a good research project.

Again. Please check my critiques, because they may no longer be valid. Overall, I still think it is a great school. I know a number of peers that have graduated there and are great doctors.

Do you think I was too mean punkmed? Sorry, I was just extremely annoyed. I thought "hey, before I commit to a school I should hear all the positives and negatives about it first." I asked DOstudentTCOM because he seemed willing to explain his dislike of the school. Now it appears that he just created his account to spam these message boards with anti-DO and anti-TCOM nonsense.

DOstudentTCOM, if you have legitimate points, please help me out and share them with me. If I am wrong about you, I will gladly apologize.

Lol. Oh no darling, I thought it was actually amusing that to your words and used them as he/she's own.

yaktor said:
DOstudentTCOM said:
yaktor said:
Hi DOstudent,

I got accepted to TCOM, another DO school and a school in the caribbean. I'm trying to decide where to go. I was hoping to stay in the U.S., but I also really want to become an MD. What do you think I should do?

Also, why shouldn't I go to TCOM? Since I'm in-state, it is far cheaper than my other two options or reapplying.

I think your message got cutoff. Sorry, why don't you like TCOM? Do you think I am better off reapplying, going to TCOM, or going to the caribbean? Thanks,

-yaktor

The upcomming year will be better. I dont have a lot of time to respond right now since we have an exam but I promise you if you send me another message in a week I will tell you how its getting better .

short list

better things about next year:
1-summer break getting longer (this is not a being lazy thing this is important bc the degree of burnout, no matter how dedicated you are will become a factor)
2-no preceptorship requirement- seems like a good thing, but in all honesty, in your first year you really dont know enough and are not allowed to do enough to actuallly benefit from preceptorship, also you are not given enough time off to do it, you sometimes end up doing it when you shouldn't because you're in school and lose VERY VALUABLE STUDY TIME.
3-supposedely classes like community resources, ethics, bioresearch, etc are going to be cut back. These are interesting classes and if you had the time to sit and learn about this stuff it would be great, however you NEED AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE TO STUDY bc there is just too much information (without even including the omm material) to learn.

What you need to look at that may still suck:
1- Some medical schools offer their students a set of notes/packet for them to use throughout the year. TCOM will at times post powerpoints before classes, however there will be numerous times (especially second year) when they will not post the powerpoints because they call it a CIL (look at the schedule) and expect you to read the material and be prepared ahead of time (this is bull) so that you can come in and test your knowledge by answering the cases (which sometimes "CIL's" are linked to a quiz, and if you had the powerpoint ahead of time, you'd be able to focus on what you have to study). Another problem with not having the CIL is that you have to type as fast as possible to try and get all the case details down so that you can later use them to study the material for the exam especially since this school likes to assign reads from Cecils internal medicine and Robbins pathological basis of disease (look the books up on amazon) which is simply more than you need. Ask doctors that you know or people that recently graduated what they think about a factuly that pushes students to use Cecils to study from and Robbins instead of using outlines, powerpoints, or notes. With that said, most students meet upperclassmen and ask around for notes and that is what really makes up the vast majority of their study material, because most questions (assuming you have the right material) will come from that and it is just not necessary to read cecils or robbins textbook- you're better off reading baby robbins and using outlines made by previous students.

2- How many hours of interesting courses such as community resources, ethics, bioresearch, biostatics (the way its taught here will not prepare you for boards), etc you will have during the week. There is simply TOO MUCH MATERIAL (this is without even counting omm) to have to learn to be adding classes such as these.

3- The OMM department here is simply too inconsistent. Their questions repeatedly have multiple answers at times with the explanation for why a certain choice over another was chosen being because thats what the factulty member decided to be the right answer. There will be numerous questions where something will be written on one slide which would hint at you to choose one answer versus another, yet a different powerpoint will have something written that will lead you to choose another answer. This department is currently run by a lady named Dr. Henzel, feel free to ask non-class officers for their oppinion about this lady. Just say, "I have a friend of mine that went here, he's a "third year" (this way they dont try to ask you for whom your friend is) and he says Dr. Henzel is really crappy with the way she runs omm. Keep in mind that you are dealing with medical students whom will not be straight forward with you if they dont know your stance because we dont want you to go running to the administration to tell them well so and so told me this school sucks, because, guess what, IT WILL COME BACK TO US (hence my anonymous name).

4. Is there anything that is being done to solve the issue about not having CIL's before classes. If they tell you that there is the study guide with everything you need on it, this is bull. I have their study guid and guess what, most of the powerpoints I use are not from the study guide since they are not scribed, complete, and also entire powerpoints are missing from it. The excuse they will give you is "we here at tcom have found a way of teaching callled "adult learning" this is code for we dont want to be responsible for what is on the powerpoint in case we write a faulty question we dont want you to pin us on what we have on our powerpoint so we'll just not give any of them out". I am telling you to do this just so that they will be aware that you are not completely clueless as to what is going on at this school, this is your life and your career and where you will be for the next 4 years, you should have a quality education. They will tell you that the board scores have inceased since they've implemented this new style of learning/teaching , this is true, and the reason is because TCOM is in the TMDSAS application pool, most students that dont get into an MD school are the ones that end up comming here, this is just the way things work, not because this school is inferior, in fact due to a lot of this, we are actually forced to adapt and learn the same information in less time than at other schools, which in the end forces us to be better students (not than those at other schools) than we would have been had we been at a different medical school.

PS- if this is the only school you get into (vs 250K at the carribean that you will have to pay) my suggestion is to come here, simply because it is cheaper and because you will pass, and also because the school has been getting drastically better since the previous year's dean (Dr. Dubin) left to go to rocky mountain vista (the DO colorado school) where he is currently getting paid a lot more (irregardless of what you get told by others, this i know for a fact). If you look this guy up, you will see a nice guy (whom has added numerous students on facebook) with lots of nice quotes. Keep in mind that this is a medical school with students that would love a recommendation from the assistant dean i think is what his actual position was or the dean of student affairs, I mean think about how nice it would have been to have a recommendation from the Dean of your university while you were applying to medical school saying how much of a hard worker you are and how smart you are (dont ever underestimate the power of a premed/medical student to be an asskisser). Lastly, I have a TON OF ERROS ON THIS MESSAGE, I have a neuro pathology exam this friday to study for and as usual this school has not supplied us with the material needed to do well, so I'm forced to use what I'm hoping will cover the test questions. The reason being that we've been told to read Cecils book of internal medicine (over 100 pages of reading) in a week..lol..which you may be able to read, but to read and to retain are two different things. Good luck , work hard, study harder, and hope for the best. If you heard different from someone about anything I wrote above, keep in mind this is my personal opinion, I dont care to know what you heard (I'm not trying to offend you but I only made this account to get both sides out on this school ), I dont care to know what I miss-spelled ( i can see all the dam red myself), and lastly if your response is man you really wanted to be an MD and this is why you're writing this, 1- yes I did want to be an MD, 2- no this is not why I'm writing this 3- Im happy with being a DO because I actually wanted to be a physician not an MD not a DO (dont lie to yourself, we both cover the "entire" body, the days of focusing strictly on the disease are long gone and if you know a doctor that gave you blah blah blah for x disease instead of asked you about your life, feelings, etc , deal with it, and find a different doctor or tell whomever you know to find a different doctor, there are plenty of doctors (DO and MD) that care about their patients.

While I appreciate that you replied so thoroughly, I would have preferred that you not quote my private message. After all, that pretty much defeats the point of private messaging.

The upcomming year will be better. I dont have a lot of time to respond right now since we have an exam but I promise you if you send me another message in a week I will tell you how its getting better .

short list

better things about next year:
1-summer break getting longer (this is not a being lazy thing this is important bc the degree of burnout, no matter how dedicated you are will become a factor)
2-no preceptorship requirement- seems like a good thing, but in all honesty, in your first year you really dont know enough and are not allowed to do enough to actuallly benefit from preceptorship, also you are not given enough time off to do it, you sometimes end up doing it when you shouldn't because you're in school and lose VERY VALUABLE STUDY TIME.
3-supposedely classes like community resources, ethics, bioresearch, etc are going to be cut back. These are interesting classes and if you had the time to sit and learn about this stuff it would be great, however you NEED AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE TO STUDY bc there is just too much information (without even including the omm material) to learn.

What you need to look at that may still suck:
1- Some medical schools offer their students a set of notes/packet for them to use throughout the year. TCOM will at times post powerpoints before classes, however there will be numerous times (especially second year) when they will not post the powerpoints because they call it a CIL (look at the schedule) and expect you to read the material and be prepared ahead of time (this is bull) so that you can come in and test your knowledge by answering the cases (which sometimes "CIL's" are linked to a quiz, and if you had the powerpoint ahead of time, you'd be able to focus on what you have to study). Another problem with not having the CIL is that you have to type as fast as possible to try and get all the case details down so that you can later use them to study the material for the exam especially since this school likes to assign reads from Cecils internal medicine and Robbins pathological basis of disease (look the books up on amazon) which is simply more than you need. Ask doctors that you know or people that recently graduated what they think about a factuly that pushes students to use Cecils to study from and Robbins instead of using outlines, powerpoints, or notes. With that said, most students meet upperclassmen and ask around for notes and that is what really makes up the vast majority of their study material, because most questions (assuming you have the right material) will come from that and it is just not necessary to read cecils or robbins textbook- you're better off reading baby robbins and using outlines made by previous students.

2- How many hours of interesting courses such as community resources, ethics, bioresearch, biostatics (the way its taught here will not prepare you for boards), etc you will have during the week. There is simply TOO MUCH MATERIAL (this is without even counting omm) to have to learn to be adding classes such as these.

3- The OMM department here is simply too inconsistent. Their questions repeatedly have multiple answers at times with the explanation for why a certain choice over another was chosen being because thats what the factulty member decided to be the right answer. There will be numerous questions where something will be written on one slide which would hint at you to choose one answer versus another, yet a different powerpoint will have something written that will lead you to choose another answer. This department is currently run by a lady named Dr. Henzel, feel free to ask non-class officers for their oppinion about this lady. Just say, "I have a friend of mine that went here, he's a "third year" (this way they dont try to ask you for whom your friend is) and he says Dr. Henzel is really crappy with the way she runs omm. Keep in mind that you are dealing with medical students whom will not be straight forward with you if they dont know your stance because we dont want you to go running to the administration to tell them well so and so told me this school sucks, because, guess what, IT WILL COME BACK TO US (hence my anonymous name).

4. Is there anything that is being done to solve the issue about not having CIL's before classes. If they tell you that there is the study guide with everything you need on it, this is bull. I have their study guid and guess what, most of the powerpoints I use are not from the study guide since they are not scribed, complete, and also entire powerpoints are missing from it. The excuse they will give you is "we here at tcom have found a way of teaching callled "adult learning" this is code for we dont want to be responsible for what is on the powerpoint in case we write a faulty question we dont want you to pin us on what we have on our powerpoint so we'll just not give any of them out". I am telling you to do this just so that they will be aware that you are not completely clueless as to what is going on at this school, this is your life and your career and where you will be for the next 4 years, you should have a quality education. They will tell you that the board scores have inceased since they've implemented this new style of learning/teaching , this is true, and the reason is because TCOM is in the TMDSAS application pool, most students that dont get into an MD school are the ones that end up comming here, this is just the way things work, not because this school is inferior, in fact due to a lot of this, we are actually forced to adapt and learn the same information in less time than at other schools, which in the end forces us to be better students (not than those at other schools) than we would have been had we been at a different medical school.

PS- if this is the only school you get into (vs 250K at the carribean that you will have to pay) my suggestion is to come here, simply because it is cheaper and because you will pass, and also because the school has been getting drastically better since the previous year's dean (Dr. Dubin) left to go to rocky mountain vista (the DO colorado school) where he is currently getting paid a lot more (irregardless of what you get told by others, this i know for a fact). If you look this guy up, you will see a nice guy (whom has added numerous students on facebook) with lots of nice quotes. Keep in mind that this is a medical school with students that would love a recommendation from the assistant dean i think is what his actual position was or the dean of student affairs, I mean think about how nice it would have been to have a recommendation from the Dean of your university while you were applying to medical school saying how much of a hard worker you are and how smart you are (dont ever underestimate the power of a premed/medical student to be an asskisser). Lastly, I have a TON OF ERROS ON THIS MESSAGE, I have a neuro pathology exam this friday to study for and as usual this school has not supplied us with the material needed to do well, so I'm forced to use what I'm hoping will cover the test questions. The reason being that we've been told to read Cecils book of internal medicine (over 100 pages of reading) in a week..lol..which you may be able to read, but to read and to retain are two different things. Good luck , work hard, study harder, and hope for the best. If you heard different from someone about anything I wrote above, keep in mind this is my personal opinion, I dont care to know what you heard (I'm not trying to offend you but I only made this account to get both sides out on this school ), I dont care to know what I miss-spelled ( i can see all the dam red myself), and lastly if your response is man you really wanted to be an MD and this is why you're writing this, 1- yes I did want to be an MD, 2- no this is not why I'm writing this 3- Im happy with being a DO because I actually wanted to be a physician not an MD not a DO (dont lie to yourself, we both cover the "entire" body, the days of focusing strictly on the disease are long gone and if you know a doctor that gave you blah blah blah for x disease instead of asked you about your life, feelings, etc , deal with it, and find a different doctor or tell whomever you know to find a different doctor, there are plenty of doctors (DO and MD) that care about their patients.

It's a good thing your at TCOM and not LECOM because then you would really be bitching about reading 800 pages.:cool:

It's a good thing your at TCOM and not LECOM because then you would really be bitching about reading 800 pages.:cool:

Yup this guy would not make it at LECOM... sounds like a whiner to me. You wanted to get into school so much you were willing to go almost anywhere now that you are there you dislike it. If you had more than one option and you picked TCOM then that's on you because you picked a place you don't like, if you had TCOM as your only option be thankful that they decided to accept you, you could be stuck in a job you don't like or in a post bac program trying to get into school.

Suck it up and be an adult

Yup this guy would not make it at LECOM... sounds like a whiner to me. You wanted to get into school so much you were willing to go almost anywhere now that you are there you dislike it. If you had more than one option and you picked TCOM then that's on you because you picked a place you don't like, if you had TCOM as your only option be thankful that they decided to accept you, you could be stuck in a job you don't like or in a post bac program trying to get into school.

Suck it up and be an adult

This guy wouldn't make it many places. 100 pages of reading in a week? lol! We have syllabus material that is usually in excess of 100 pages a week, which many of us then augment with more reading. For example, in our last block, we had 100 pages of syllabus a week, and then I read 120 pages of Robbins to supplement the path. And I was able to do that while still having free time on the weekends.

On a completely separate note, your avatar is hilarious. lol wtf.

I figure I like looking at the pictures of half naked girls as avatars, I should give the ladies something to look at as well

Awww.. That's so thoughtful of you. I bet your an excellent manfriend.:D

I figure I like looking at the pictures of half naked girls as avatars, I should give the ladies something to look at as well
:thumbup:

Love it for the practicality and the hilarity :)

I think TCOM is a great school. There are a few downsides to it though. My critiques may not even be still valid since it was from 4 years ago. Just look into these things for yourself.

1. I didn't like how you had to use their computers because all of your "books" were on them. I like to highlight, underline, and have a real book. This computer thing was not good with my learning style.
2. Their main hospital was in limbo when I applied. Just check to see where their students do clinical rotations. They could well be amazing by now.
3. Their summers were on the short side. I wasn't so concerned because I needed breaks, but because I wanted to do research, volunteer, etc. To compare, my school gives 8 weeks off between MSI-MSII. TCOM only gave 2 weeks. Not near enough time for a good research project.

Again. Please check my critiques, because they may no longer be valid. Overall, I still think it is a great school. I know a number of peers that have graduated there and are great doctors.

1. That must have been a temp thing were trying out-we have ppts and books that you actually read out of are rare the first year. Second year it's all about Robbins.
2. That hospital is now our new building, lol. But rotations are around FW in the major hospitals, and options to do a year or two in Corpus Cristi or Baytown. Pretty solid from what I hear the 3rd and 4th years say.
3. Ah yes, the only qualm I have with TCOM. We have 3 weeks this summer. We are in the midst of an uproar. But I think they will be changing that next year for all the first years.

I hadn't checked this in a while and was surprised that it's still active. Just an update on my end, I have an in-person meeting with Navy recruiters today . . . trying to get the Air Force to look at me too but it seems like they may have an overabundance of applicants.

I hadn't checked this in a while and was surprised that it's still active. Just an update on my end, I have an in-person meeting with Navy recruiters today . . . trying to get the Air Force to look at me too but it seems like they may have an overabundance of applicants.

YEA!!!!!!. Let us know how it goes.