Family in Med School/Cost of Attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camacho Mt. Dew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

I posted this in the osteopathic medical, but thought I would reach out here as well.

I'm currently a pre-med with hopes of matriculating into medical school next fall and was hoping for some advice or possible answers to my concerns. When and if I start school in the fall of 2016 I will be moving with my son and my wife. One of my main concerns is not having enough funds to cover our expenses. Currently I feel that we should be OK, but if I were to need additional assistance I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with cost of attendance adjustments and what that process entails. Ideally I would like for my wife to stay home with our son. Any advice or information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For federal loans, cost of attendance increases have to be for very specific expenses, usually as reimbursement after you pay out. Child care and medical care are covered. Generally "living expenses" aren't increased if you can't live on what's provided.

Pick a med school and look at the financial aid page, see if you can find a cost of attendance breakdown as well as the "form" for a budget increase to see the categories.

The nontrad forum has other parents in med school who can offer good help.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user