Family Medicine Board Modules and guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FP-hospitalist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like this was asked once before a couple years ago.... There was two replies.

What FM board modules are you taking? Several people in my program state that you should take OB and ambulatory--stated to be the easiest. In reviewing my previous ITEs my strongest areas hands down are peds and ER with scores typically in the high 700s. Thus, I feel taking peds and ER will likely serve me well. However, I have heard time and time again to stay away from peds......

Also, I recently chatted with "help" on the ABFM chat line. They stated that any question dealing with outdated material (JNC, hyperlipidemia guidelines) will be reviewed after the test is taken, and the score adjusted if necessary. They stated to answer questions the way you practice currently. The went on to say the JNC 7 and 8 differences should not affect exam question...... All those questions that suggest tx HTN in DM pt's with BP above 130/80 will change???? And what about the hyperlipidemia guidelines???? I have gone through lots of questions dealing with the previous methods used to tx hyperlipidemia. The entire way hyperlipidemia was tx has changed....

I am frustrated and tired.

Members don't see this ad.

In case anyone was wondering this is the ABFM's response to the question I listed above. My subsequent response is also listed below.

ABFM:
"We try to avoid asking questions about topics where the answer is in flux or there have been recent changes in guidelines. For most questions about hypertension, for example, the answer would be the same according to both JNC-7 and JNC-8, so we would try to make sure any hypertension questions fell into this category. Sometimes something new comes along that we didn’t expect, however, and the new information is published after the time we can make changes to the exam. My advice in these situations is always to answer the question just as you would in actual practice on that day. We have a review process in place after the exam is given that would allow us to give credit for questions where the answer is no longer clear, or where recommendations have changed, and it would be counterproductive to ask people to remember outdated information."

ME:
I really appreciate your response, but find the lack of information the ABFM provides in regards to tested guidelines frustrating.....to say the least.

I'm not asking for questions or help. Providing test takers whom are required to have the largest breadth of medical knowledge statements/information on the ABFMs current tested guidelines is important. Most specialties provide this knowledge to their test takers.

I think it's unfair to make a statement stating the questions will be reviewed. This leads to ambiguity and confusion when answering questions. I could easily see myself getting frustrated when testing. There are so many guidelines with varying opinions this complicates the matter further.

I find your response stating that JNC 7/8 should not affect questions troubling. I have been asked countlessly in board prep about tx BPs to levels below 130/80 in DMs, and tx BPs to below 140/90 in elderly. I no longer practice this way per JNC 8 guidelines.

The entire way we tx hyperlipidemia has changed. What's your response?

Lastly the ambiguity and lack of information provided makes choosing a module difficult. I feel uncomfortable choosing ambulatory if I don't know what guidelines are tested.

I don't expect to know questions! I do expect the ABFM to provide physicians that have been in school/training for roughly 7 years with some information about testing expectations. I also find it frustrating that someone could simply say---oh if it's wrong will give you credit or partial credit....

Does this bother anyone else or am I just crazy and stressed out?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you. I feel good about milestones. I am still not sure which way to head...... Maybe peds and ambulatory...... We are OB heavy, but I haven't been doing more than continuity for at least a year.

Take what you feel strongest in..

I feel strongest in ER and ambulatory - so I did both. I felt with my interest in Emergency medicine which has driven me read a lot about it over the residency really helped me answer the questions. Some of my co-residents did Ambulatory-Hospital because we are inpatient service heavy.

Just wanted to revive this thread, as I don't see any recent posts about FM boards. What are people using to study? Any more recent thoughts on the modules?

I'm thinking of buying Rosh Review question bank, any experience with this?

Just wanted to revive this thread, as I don't see any recent posts about FM boards. What are people using to study? Any more recent thoughts on the modules?

I'm thinking of buying Rosh Review question bank, any experience with this?

Using AAFP Board prep, along w/ ABFM Q Bank. Intraining score wasn't too shabby, that calc thing said have a good chance of passing..

Likely taking Amb. module, not sure about what else..

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing the AAFP Express Course as well. I'm doing questions but right now am preparing for my ostepathic boards so have shifted into OMT review until the 19th. After that, with a month left, I'll get back to questions.

A lot of residents and attendings at my program recommend OB and Geriatrics. We do a fair amount of OB and have a dedicated month to geriatrics in addition to monthly nursing home rounds as well as a good amount of geriatric patients in our office.

Are there anything different in terms of module Qs from the usual Qs or is the format the same but just focusing on the particular subject matter?

Has anyone used this: http://www.aafp.org/cme/cme-topic/all/fp-comprehensive.html ??

Is this mainly just Qs or does it also have topics worthy of reading/discussion?

Thanks

BTW - I heard OB and Ambulatory are the most straight forward.

Some people at my program have used the huge binder full of power point slides that is sold with the FP Comprehensive CD but I haven't heard of anyone using the Qbank. Some people were listening to lectures from that same set. They have done well historically.

I settled on Rosh review after looking around at stuff and getting frustrated with the free AAFP Qs today. It's got great explanations with graphics that stick in my brain - you can do 10 sample questions on their website if you're interested. Also planning to read all the USPSTF recs and Choosing Wisely from cover to cover.

I've heard the same about OB and Ambulatory. As someone doing an OB fellowship currently, I'm definitely doing OB. Just trying to decide on the second one...

Some people at my program have used the huge binder full of power point slides that is sold with the FP Comprehensive CD but I haven't heard of anyone using the Qbank. Some people were listening to lectures from that same set. They have done well historically.

I settled on Rosh review after looking around at stuff and getting frustrated with the free AAFP Qs today. It's got great explanations with graphics that stick in my brain - you can do 10 sample questions on their website if you're interested. Also planning to read all the USPSTF recs and Choosing Wisely from cover to cover.

I've heard the same about OB and Ambulatory. As someone doing an OB fellowship currently, I'm definitely doing OB. Just trying to decide on the second one...

I thought the AAFP Qs were good Qs and they frequented the ITE.
Nonetheless, I made it through all 10 Rosh freebie Qs and the Qs seem to mirror a lot of the AAFP Qs. I say this because I got all of them right. I do like the "next step" Qs. I do agree the pics and explanations are good. Any idea if the Qs are representative of the actual boards?

Last edited:
Great call on "Choosing Wisely" -- hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. Reading through it, seems to be a ton of tidbits, but some of those tidbits showed up on ITE. I'll add that to my review. I think I'll go for Rosh Review and supplement with AAFP Journal Articles on topics I feel weak in plus the notes I took from the recent 3 years worth of ITEs.

Members don't see this ad :)

I bought Rosh.
I'm not so sure about it upon doing more Qs
Peds is all about congenital heart stuff, which I understand is important, but certain details are a tad much.
Just got a question about the Cardiac Arrest Score - really?
I hope I didn't waste my time with a QBank that really is just an altered EM QBank,

I bought Rosh.
I'm not so sure about it upon doing more Qs
Peds is all about congenital heart stuff, which I understand is important, but certain details are a tad much.
Just got a question about the Cardiac Arrest Score - really?
I hope I didn't waste my time with a QBank that really is just an altered EM QBank,
For what it's worth our program got Rosh last year for us, and we were no impressed. Didn't really think it mirrored AAFP.

Great call on "Choosing Wisely" -- hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. Reading through it, seems to be a ton of tidbits, but some of those tidbits showed up on ITE. I'll add that to my review. I think I'll go for Rosh Review and supplement with AAFP Journal Articles on topics I feel weak in plus the notes I took from the recent 3 years worth of ITEs.
For what it's worth I used to rosh review for emergency med and it was not representative of the Shelf exam. I would never use Rush ever again Why not uworld or graber and Wilbur or in training exams

For what it's worth I used to rosh review for emergency med and it was not representative of the Shelf exam. I would never use Rush ever again Why not uworld or graber and Wilbur or in training exams

Shelf exam?
Are you a Med student? The purpose of these Qs is for the board cert exam.

Shelf exam?
Are you a Med student? The purpose of these Qs is for the board cert exam.

I just matched into FM!
-Yeah I was trying to let you know that my experience with Rosh review has been terrible.
-I used it for E.R. and pediatrics and both times did not approximate the shelf well at all.
-So personally I would not trust Rosh a third time with ABFM prep

But during my time off this year studied for step 3 and also FM-boards (lots of free time)

-These are the tools I used:
1) in-training exams, AAFP free questions, ABFM free questions
2) Wilbur and Graber - (exam questions book)
3) UWORLD ABFM - UWORLD has a question bank for ABFM. UWORLD was always the gold standard for me - but their ABFM bank is actually very similar to in-training exam questions.
-I used UWORLD ABFM for step 3 studying thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone
4) UWORLD ABIM - I used the ABIM questions for step 3
5) Step 3 UWORLD, MKSAP 16

I thought Wilbur and Graber was the gold standard (along with in-training exams)?

I highly recommend Wilbur and Graber - it is a very well written question book. I don't read much but do lots of questions.

Last edited:
Studied using the Wilbur and Graber book and did all the AAFP board review questions online.
Took the last 5 years worth of ITE's
Chose ambulatory and sports med. Honestly if you're MSK inclined/going to SM, the SM module was a breeze. I ended up getting one wrong on it lol. Most people in my program chose OB though, as we were an OB heavy residency.

Studied using the Wilbur and Graber book and did all the AAFP board review questions online.
Took the last 5 years worth of ITE's
Chose ambulatory and sports med. Honestly if you're MSK inclined/going to SM, the SM module was a breeze. I ended up getting one wrong on it lol. Most people in my program chose OB though, as we were an OB heavy residency.

Where did you get the 4th and 5th year exams? ABFM only has the 3 most recent ITEs.

Where did you get the 4th and 5th year exams? ABFM only has the 3 most recent ITEs.
I wouldn't focus much past 2013 ITE as the exam is going to reflect new treatment recommendations. Just my opinion.

By doing the 3 most recent ITEs and the AAFP express course, I went into the 2015 ACOFP ITE (Osteopathic) feeling pretty good. My suspicion was right, with a raw score of 80-85% depending on if the questions I thought were omitted really were omitted. It wasn't expressed and I had to assume.

My point is, don't over do it and confuse yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't focus much past 2013 ITE as the exam is going to reflect new treatment recommendations. Just my opinion.

By doing the 3 most recent ITEs and the AAFP express course, I went into the 2015 ACOFP ITE (Osteopathic) feeling pretty good. My suspicion was right, with a raw score of 80-85% depending on if the questions I thought were omitted really were omitted. It wasn't expressed and I had to assume.

My point is, don't over do it and confuse yourself.

I think that's the key thing, not overthinking things and confusing myself - which is something I did on the 2015 ITE, but still managed to do well anyways.

I've saved them all from previous residents. ABFM only keeps the 3 most recent ITE's, however I saved each test/answer key since 2008. I still take the ITE for myself (and funsies) and try to extrapolate the MSK/SM questions for board review prep to the residents later on.

I've saved them all from previous residents. ABFM only keeps the 3 most recent ITE's, however I saved each test/answer key since 2008. I still take the ITE for myself (and funsies) and try to extrapolate the MSK/SM questions for board review prep to the residents later on.

So you're still in academics. Cool.