Family Versus Medicine vs General Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends asked me what is the difference between FM and GP in America and I caught myself unable to give a clear answer. Please help! (American setting only). Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends asked me what is the difference between FM and GP in America and I caught myself unable to give a clear answer. Please help! (American setting only). Thank you.

FM is a specialty. GP is someone w/o FM or IM board certification who does primary care.

Traditionally, the term "GP" or "general practitioner" is an old phrase that often referred to those who would do a general internship (one year), then practice medicine. These physicians would get licensed, would not have any board certifications, and would be generalists with no specific training in any ABSM specialty. Those days are over.

Many laypeople may refer to internists and family physicians as "GPs" - but that is technically an incorrect use of the term. Today's family physicians go through a 3-year residency in family medicine and have the opportunity to get board-certified in family medicine, which is an ABSM specialty.

The same is true for internists (internal medicine, 3-year residency)

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Exactly.

The use of the term "GP" in other countries, such as the UK, adds to the confusion.

I really like the term General Practice alot better than Family Medicine. I wish they would have just kept it instead of changing it in the 70's. I think the reason given was "gee it sounds more family friendly" and general practitioner "doesn't accurately describe our extra training". To me the term general practitioner sounds as though it is describing someone who can handle most medical problems not someone who is lacking in specific training.