fellowship name recognition during job hunt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottpilgrim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Yesterday, I matched into a pain fellowship that I ranked high because of personal reasons and am pleased to be going there.
From my impression, the training is good but the name recognition is not up there.
Will the lack of a national name be noticeably detrimental when job hunting?
Is there anything I can do to preemptively compensate for this?

ty

Members don't see this ad.

It can only help open doors for you.
Regionally known programs are just that, so assuming you want to stay in that region, you might be better off going to the smaller program. Make the most of your opportunity, work hard, and stand out. If you do that, you will get a superior reference, and that might make all the difference in securing a competitive position somewhere.
Good luck!

The name of the program is not nearly as important as the name of the program director, chairman, etc. It's through personal connections that you will get a highly competitive job somewhere you want to be. Keep in mind too that there is name recognition everywhere, and that a big name does not guarantee anything. If a Harvard grad and a Stanford grad both apply for a job in California, who do you think would have preference?

Reactions: 1 user