Fired Professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A very well-written article.

Members don't see this ad.

The article is behind a pay-wall/blocked when using an ad-blocker. Professor-IDGAF commented the full text on a reddit post:

Reactions: 1 user
The profs responses in that article sounded cogent and thoughtful which is some evidence against the aging theory. He did seem to think that there is downward pressure of performance expectations and maybe that perspective regardless of how accurate that was is probably what led to this outcome. A one man mission to hold higher standards can be a bit quixotic and lead to frustrated students being held to a potentially unreasonable standard. Pre-med students still have to take their mcats so if Princeton isn’t upholding a high standard then the students just won’t get into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The profs responses in that article sounded cogent and thoughtful which is some evidence against the aging theory. He did seem to think that there is downward pressure of performance expectations and maybe that perspective regardless of how accurate that was is probably what led to this outcome. A one man mission to hold higher standards can be a bit quixotic and lead to frustrated students being held to a potentially unreasonable standard. Pre-med students still have to take their mcats so if Princeton isn’t upholding a high standard then the students just won’t get into med school.
Yes Overton window

I have never missed Chronicle comments more. Guess I'll have to go on Reddit!

Fwiw, I really liked his response to the question about "kids these days."

Agreed, though I didn't think that he could not string two sentences together. The reference to emailing students was a more helpful gauge of his abilities to me than a conversation with a reporter. I don't see how the interview took place, but Zoom vs telephone vs in person might say something as well. I do agree that a one man mission to hold people to higher standard is a bit of a fool's errand. From the response of the administration, this sounds like an ongoing conflict between them and him rather than a one time issue.