First Aid 2008 Errata

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I figure we should go ahead and get a running list of errors going.

p.91 It says that the rate limiting enzyme for de novo pyrimidine synthesis is Aspartate transcarbamylase. RR Biochem and I think newer studies say that CPS II is the rate limiting enzyme.

P. 91 Fructose 1, 6 bisphosphatase is the rate limiting enzyme for gluconeogenesis, not pyruvate carboxylase

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I figure we should go ahead and get a running list of errors going.

p.91 It says that the rate limiting enzyme for de novo pyrimidine synthesis is Aspartate transcarbamylase. RR Biochem and I think newer studies say that CPS II is the rate limiting enzyme.

P. 91 Fructose 1, 6 bisphosphatase is the rate limiting enzyme for gluconeogenesis, not pyruvate carboxylase

Good idea! I dont have anything to add yet, but will make sure to post if I find anything. :)

how amazing it would be if an FA edition came out that was free of easily correctable errors like these..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

If you have any Errata, submit it and get some money for your effort. All submissions to the FA 2008 can be made at www.firstaidteam.com. As you submit them, our team will review them and post updates online for everything that we verify. If your submission is used in the FA 2009, you can get a $10 gift certificate to Amazon.com. The official offer is in the book, but I thought I'd let everyone know here as well. You can also subscribe (EMAIL) (RSS) to the site so that you are automatically emailed whenever new errors are found.

Good luck studying and please let us know what you find.

Cheers, topher.
First Aid/USMLERx Team
http://firstaidteam.com

To potential buyers: the index in FA 2008 is sort of messed up (ie page numbers are wrong). Almost wish I had stuck with 2006 because now I am getting seriously aggravated with book.

There are only ten errors in the book, and that's four... so there can only be six more left to find! :smuggrin:

P. 196 The label with Heavy chain hypervariable regions should actually read LIGHT chain hypervariable regions. Similarly, the label with Light Chain hypervariable regions should read HEAVY chain hypervariable regions.

p. 428 RTA 4 Hypoaldosteronism causes HYPERkalemia, not hypokalemia.

page 98

Heinz bodies: Bite cells result from the phagocytic removal of Heinz bodies **by** macrophages.

p. 386
A lesion of PPRF causes the eye to look AWAY from the lesion. The text has that it causes the eyes to look toward side of lesion.

Additionally,a lesion of the Frontal eye fields may cause the eye to look away from the lesion in a seizure, but in a stroke, a lesion causes hypoactivity and causes the patient to look toward the lesion.
Seizure in FEF= hyperactivity= looks away from lesion
Stroke in FEF= hypoactivity=eye look toward the lesion

Well, I'm pretty sure that covers the ten mistakes maximum they were shooting for.

Members don't see this ad :)
my god...they barely change the material in the book with every annual release yet they consistently have errors like the ones above. i guess the errors help them sell future "new and improved" editions

on page 168, IgG HAVAb indicates a prior infection OR immunization--not just a prior infection

Ha. I'm already annoyed. I need to rely on FA, but I look at everything in there with a critical eye now.:rolleyes:

Thats why i chose not to study the 2008...im using the 2007 cuz the errata list has already been released.. i wouldnt be able to use the 2008 w/ a peace of mind..but thats just me

Have you guys been submitting these corrections to FA and what if any response have you received from them? Does anyone also have FA 2007 and have you looked to see if the errors are in that edition as well? Worrysome, I have 8 wks to study. :scared:

Have you guys been submitting these corrections to FA and what if any response have you received from them? Does anyone also have FA 2007 and have you looked to see if the errors are in that edition as well? Worrysome, I have 8 wks to study. :scared:

Last time I checked, FA only has one error that was corrected--but that was about a review book. I have submitted some errors, but there has not been a response.

I submitted the error I noted above over two weeks ago and there has been no response. It is still not posted on their website.

I only have an '06 copy and the error I posted for Down's is written correctly in it. I'm too lazy to look up any others...;)

I submitted the error I noted above over two weeks ago and there has been no response. It is still not posted on their website.

I only have an '06 copy and the error I posted for Down's is written correctly in it. I'm too lazy to look up any others...;)

First Aid people should really be ashamed of this practice....they keep generating random errors (as noted above and in many previous posts) ...changing RIGHT to WRONG.....if I was selling 20,000 copies of a book each year, I would put more effort into making it better, not come up with stupid ideas to put out a new version.:thumbdown:

First Aid people should really be ashamed of this practice....they keep generating random errors (as noted above and in many previous posts) ...changing RIGHT to WRONG.....if I was selling 20,000 copies of a book each year, I would put more effort into making it better, not come up with stupid ideas to put out a new version.:thumbdown:

Agreed. It especially sucks for those of us who will be taking the exam before June. Hopefully someone will take a good look at this thread and do something about it, if only for next year. I wish I had just bought 2007 and corrected all the errors. :mad:

Pg. 262, Bacterial Endocarditis-pneumonic "FROMJANE" does not include petechiae which is the major manifestation! I got this wrong on a Practice of Medicine exam b/c FA didn't include it, errr! Think of "fromjaneP"

Can MadameLulu keep updating her original post with the posted errors? Just so we don't have to read through a lot of complaining about FA to get at the errors.

LIST OF ERRATA------(Ie. doing FA's job for them)

PG 91---------It says that the rate limiting enzyme for de novo pyrimidine synthesis is Aspartate transcarbamylase. RR Biochem and I think newer studies say that CPS II is the rate limiting enzyme.

PG 91---------Fructose 1, 6 bisphosphatase is the rate limiting enzyme for gluconeogenesis, not pyruvate carboxylase[/quote]

PG 119--------Down's syndrome prenatal screening : alpha-fetoprotein goes DOWN in DOWN's, not up as indicated in the table, and B-HCG goes up, not down - these two markers are reversed

PG 196--------The label with Heavy chain hypervariable regions should actually read LIGHT chain hypervariable regions. Similarly, the label with Light Chain hypervariable regions should read HEAVY chain hypervariable regions.

PG 428--------RTA 4 Hypoaldosteronism causes HYPERkalemia, not hypokalemia

PG 375--------it says that cranial nerve VI arises from the contralateral nuclei :confused::confused: I think it should say that IV arises dorsally and that the nerve comes from the contralateral nuclei

PG 98---------Heinz bodies: Bite cells result from the phagocytic removal of Heinz bodies **by** macrophages.[/quote]

PG 160--------Typhus is caused by Rickettsi TYPHUS (the text says Rickettsi ricketssi)

PG 386--------A lesion of PPRF causes the eye to look AWAY from the lesion. The text has that it causes the eyes to look toward side of lesion.

Additionally,a lesion of the Frontal eye fields may cause the eye to look away from the lesion in a seizure, but in a stroke, a lesion causes hypoactivity and causes the patient to look toward the lesion.

PG 266--------Diazoxide causes hyperglycemia, not hypoglycemia.

PG 168--------IgG HAVAb indicates a prior infection OR immunization--not just a prior infection

PG 262--------Bacterial Endocarditis-pneumonic "FROMJANE" does not include petechiae which is the major manifestation! I got this wrong on a Practice of Medicine exam b/c FA didn't include it, errr! Think of "fromjaneP"

p. 295

The table indicates that the falciform ligament is derived from the fetal umbilical vein. According to page 127, the ligamentum teres is derived from the umbilical vein.

PG 91---------It says that the rate limiting enzyme for de novo pyrimidine synthesis is Aspartate transcarbamylase. RR Biochem and I think newer studies say that CPS II is the rate limiting enzyme.

PG 91---------Fructose 1, 6 bisphosphatase is the rate limiting enzyme for gluconeogenesis, not pyruvate carboxylase

PG 119--------Down's syndrome prenatal screening : alpha-fetoprotein goes DOWN in DOWN's, not up as indicated in the table, and B-HCG goes up, not down - these two markers are reversed

PG 196--------The label with Heavy chain hypervariable regions should actually read LIGHT chain hypervariable regions. Similarly, the label with Light Chain hypervariable regions should read HEAVY chain hypervariable regions.

PG 375--------it says that cranial nerve VI arises from the contralateral nuclei ?? I think it should say that IV arises dorsally and that the nerve comes from the contralateral nuclei

PG 98---------Heinz bodies: Bite cells result from the phagocytic removal of Heinz bodies **by** macrophages.[/quote]

PG 160--------Typhus is caused by Rickettsi TYPHUS (the text says Rickettsi ricketssi)

PG 386--------A lesion of PPRF causes the eye to look AWAY from the lesion. The text has that it causes the eyes to look toward side of lesion.

PG 168--------IgG HAVAb indicates a prior infection OR immunization--not just a prior infection

PG 262--------Bacterial Endocarditis-pneumonic "FROMJANE" does not include petechiae which is the major manifestation! I got this wrong on a Practice of Medicine exam b/c FA didn't include it, errr! Think of "fromjaneP"[/quote]

PG 295--------The table indicates that the falciform ligament is derived from the fetal umbilical vein. According to page 127, the ligamentum teres is derived from the umbilical vein.

Thanks for the errors everyone.

Edit- Whoops, I was coming back to edit cause when I looked at it again realized they werent giving the normal format I've always seen for the starling equation. Time for me to goto bed.

p.255 on the capillary fluid exchange section:

Net filtration pressure should read

Pnet = [(Pc - Pi) - (Onc/c - Onc/i)] KF

They just have a period where the Kf (filtration constant) should be in the equation. :laugh:

Thanks for the other errors everyone.

I don't think that is an error. The GFR = Kf * Pnet. Pnet should only be the net sum of the 4 pressures. When you multiply the net pressure difference by Kf, you have the GFR rather than Pnet.

PG 91---------Fructose 1, 6 bisphosphatase is the rate limiting enzyme for gluconeogenesis, not pyruvate carboxylase

PG 375--------it says that cranial nerve VI arises from the contralateral nuclei ?? I think it should say that IV arises dorsally and that the nerve comes from the contralateral nuclei

PG 98---------Heinz bodies: Bite cells result from the phagocytic removal of Heinz bodies **by** macrophages.

PG 262--------Bacterial Endocarditis-pneumonic "FROMJANE" does not include petechiae which is the major manifestation! I got this wrong on a Practice of Medicine exam b/c FA didn't include it, errr! Think of "fromjaneP"[/quote]

PG 295--------The table indicates that the falciform ligament is derived from the fetal umbilical vein. According to page 127, the ligamentum teres is derived from the umbilical vein.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, buddy. Did anyone notice that the book has 13 'contributing authors' +4 authors... it's amazing how low you can go without decent competition.:boom:

In the AT cardio section pg 243
CFX: supplies lateral no posterior Lft vent

immuno
pg 196 :The label with Heavy chain hypervariable regions should actually read LIGHT chain hypervariable regions. Similarly, the label with Light Chain hypervariable regions should read HEAVY chain hypervariable regions."
( I think that the rgns are named correctly they just need to be flipped over, ie the heavy chain has 5 rgns and light chain has 4 rgns.

Also I am taking the Kaplan prep course and I have seen the new Kaplan med essential book, i wish I had but that one. they dont have mistakes like 1st aid

In the AT cardio section pg 243
CFX: supplies lateral no posterior Lft vent

immuno
pg 196 :The label with Heavy chain hypervariable regions should actually read LIGHT chain hypervariable regions. Similarly, the label with Light Chain hypervariable regions should read HEAVY chain hypervariable regions."
( I think that the rgns are named correctly they just need to be flipped over, ie the heavy chain has 5 rgns and light chain has 4 rgns.

Also I am taking the Kaplan prep course and I have seen the new Kaplan med essential book, i wish I had but that one. they dont have mistakes like 1st aid

The immuno one was already found. Thats y there is a running list i suppose.:idea:

p. 291
Abdominal layers
Is it just me or are the labels Aorta and IVC switched in that diagram?

I think the labels are correct. It's confusing because the picture immediately below it is from a CT perspective ie. looking at the cross section from below, while the one you are referring to is looking down on the section.

At least that's my interpretation. :D

Hey All,
Was browsing through and came across an error. I don't believe it was this way in the 2007 either. Respiratory section starts on p455. and is interrupted on p462 by the High-Yield Images in the High-Yield Facts chapter. The chapter picks up on p463. If that doesn't makes sense, skim the respiratory chapter and you'll see. Hope this helps!
-Chris

Man, did previous editions of FA have this many ridiculous errors?

These unnecessary errors are deterring me from using FA, "Step 1 bible" or not......

Hi folks, let me just say on behalf of the First Aid team, we do apologize for the errors in the 2008 text and understand your frustration in finding them. Unfortunately, some errors get carried forward from old editions, which is why we welcome your critical review. Also, most any medical text nowadays carries a disclaimer that recent changes in thinking may not yet be reflected in the book, though at least you for it also means paradigm shifts should not appear on your upcoming USMLE exam. Certainly we try our best not to make new mistakes, but type-setting and other elements of the publication process sometimes do lead to other (typographical) errors or mis-labeled illustrations. I will be reviewing all your corrections and suggestions personally for inclusion in the 2009 edition. Please consider submitting them via our website so you receive credit and compensation (if you are the first to report a confirmed error). Due to the volume of suggestions we receive, we may not be able to respond to you immediately. We are working on the first errata sheet, which will be published in March.

If you have any other concerns about the text or your upcoming exam, please feel free to contact me here.

Benji
First Aid/USMLERx Team
http://firstaidteam.com

Unfortunately, some errors get carried forward from old editions, which is why we welcome your critical review.
These errors are made because they are allowed to be made. Pony up for a set of decent reviewers to look at the final copy before it goes to press and 90% of these errors would be caught. It's just bad editing. You can get away with it because you can get away with it. First Aid will dramatically reduce errata like this once a vialbe and more reliable alternative comes to market and customers start to abandon the product.

Every textbook/science book has errors, but the amount First Aid puts out is truly mindboggling.

These errors are made because they are allowed to be made. Pony up for a set of decent reviewers to look at the final copy before it goes to press and 90% of these errors would be caught. It's just bad editing. You can get away with it because you can get away with it. First Aid will dramatically reduce errata like this once a vialbe and more reliable alternative comes to market and customers start to abandon the product.

Every textbook/science book has errors, but the amount First Aid puts out is truly mindboggling.

All that aside...how do you manage to turn something that's initially correct to an incorrect statement? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this type of mistake requires real dedicated effort.:idea:

All that aside...how do you manage to turn something that's initially correct to an incorrect statement? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this type of mistake requires real dedicated effort.:idea:
DOnt be silly. Everyone know that elves come out when the FA editors are sleeping. Andthese elves are not good elves they are evil ones. They change the stuff from right to wrong just after the editors went over it. So it couldnt possibly be the editors fault!:sleep: