USMLE first aid 2014?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoopyswoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i take my exam in april or may. is it worth buying FA 2014? will errata even be out by then?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it in May and bought FA 2014. First errata usually comes out in March

I dont think the errata is a reason to not get 2014. I get the concern, but in the end, I am sure it will still overall be better than 2013. For one thing, all 2013 errata will be fixed. Sure, new ones may pop up, but they will be minimal and doubtful that your score will be affected. I'mactually getting my copy today, would be happy to post a little bit about it after I take a look, if there is anything noteworthy to mention.

I don't see why not buy it as I mentioned in the other thread. It is the most current version and only around $50. In the long run, why take the chance with something as important as Step 1. The reason I ordered it yesterday. With that said, I doubt there will be that much of a difference.

FA14 is a big step up from FA13. Apart from more/improved visuals, the textual side of it is a lot better. After the errata overload in FA12, more thorough steps and cycles of review have been taken to cut down on the errata for FA14, which hopefully have been kept to a minimum.

I would say if your FA13 is already heavily annotated, sticking with it is fine because it's still a solid text, but if you're a fast reader and can make time for an additional pass before your exam, you'll notice some interesting factual updates that might bump you up 2 or 3 questions.

Good luck,

Got mine today. Didnt look at the accuracy of content, but a lot of new content additions and new diagrams. Paper quality seems lower than last years though.

Would you guys recommend it if I was taking the exam at the end of Jan? I have 2013 and it's semi marked, but I wouldn't reading those sections again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine just arrived today.....got here in 2 days. Got to say it looks easy to read. The font or something is better. And it seems to have better graphics. I am not done much looking at it but I like it better.

Good. Glad to hear. Makes me feel better about shelling out the $48 to order it yesterday.

Mine just arrived today.....got here in 2 days. Got to say it looks easy to read. The font or something is better. And it seems to have better graphics. I am not done much looking at it but I like it better.

So what are you saying? We've got to dismantle it all?

I plan on really looking at this weekend. I don't thing you need to dismantle anything. It looks better overall and easy to read to me. I have not really gotten past the trees to look at the leaves. Will update this weekend when I plan to go over biochem. I will look through it all quickly. Have to work next couple of days.

I like it a lot. I spent some downtime transferring old annotations over from 2013. The new edition reads better, fills in important gaps that I added in from the Rx qbank into 2013, and has some better/updated images.

Edit: Also, the 2013 errata seem fixed.

I like it a lot. I spent some downtime transferring old annotations over from 2013. The new edition reads better, fills in important gaps that I added in from the Rx qbank into 2013, and has some better/updated images.

Edit: Also, the 2013 errata seem fixed.
Sounds good.

There are some new pictures and better graphics, from what I've seen in the past few days. Amazon prime has it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

I'm taking my test in a few weeks, and I've been reading both editions side by side. 2014 is a huge improvement. They've added a lot more visuals, more information, it looks cleaner. I just wish I had more time with it. I've noticed a few errata, but nothing glaring.