FlexMed application review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zukosnips

Reaction score
Hello there!

For those who have applied and/or are knowledgeable of this program, I was wondering if its worth it for me to apply. This program will benefit me because I would really like to pursue an Earth Systems minor with an emphasis on environmental justice so I can take time in undergrad to explore sustainability issues in medicine and psychology research. I’m also going to be a apart of a new company to develop an app for premeds but I can’t say too much about that yet. I may do a coterm for a masters in epi and clinical research but I’ll see with my schedule. My biggest weakness is lack of solid clinical experience and I'm hoping to get that my first semester of sophomore year if I have time. I will take any and all advice! I'll list my information here (very brief):

* Recent community college graduate with 4 associates degrees; will be a rising sophomore at Stanford University
* 4.0 GPA at my CC and 4.0 UW, 4.6 W in HS
* No SAT/ACT (COVID-19 reasons and I think they said they'll still consider those who haven't taken it hopefully)
* Psychology major, Earth Systems minor
* 1000 hours of research experience (mixture of clinical and non-clinical)
* 250+ hours of leadership
* 900 hours work-non clinical (prep cook)
* 200+ hours nonclinical volunteering
* 5 poster/research presentations and some solid awards/scholarships from my CC and research conferences
* published manuscript on astromedicine in JSR at the beginning of freshmen year (worked on most of it in high school)
* 60+ hours of shadowing a psychiatrist, a neurosurgeon (DO), and anesthesiologists
* 120+ hours from two extracurriculars

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums!

When you say "is it worth it," what are you valuing worth: time spent on the application? Getting into this program? The huge amount of application fees involved (I don't think there are any, but I can be mistaken)? Social capital?

Honestly, you might as well try if this is important to you. If you don't get in, you're really no worse off compared to everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums!

When you say "is it worth it," what are you valuing worth: time spent on the application? Getting into this program? The huge amount of application fees involved (I don't think there are any, but I can be mistaken)? Social capital?

Honestly, you might as well try if this is important to you. If you don't get in, you're really no worse off compared to everyone else.
I guess it’s more so the time. Like I just finished doing a bunch of applications for applying as a transfer student and so now I’m already starting another application lol. Rn my heart is saying yes, it’s worth it to apply. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that JSR is a predatory journal that accepts everything, so idk if that counts as a publication. Also, not having an SAT is going to hurt. I'll add that idk if lack of clinical experience is that big of a deal considering applicants here have only had 3 semesters in college. Overall, your research profile is solid. What is astromedicine?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that JSR is a predatory journal that accepts everything, so idk if that counts as a publication. Also, not having an SAT is going to hurt. I'll add that idk if lack of clinical experience is that big of a deal considering applicants here have only had 3 semesters in college. Overall, your research profile is solid. What is astromedicine?
They’re test optional too and it’s not as relevant from what some flexmed applicants have told me. I was basically exploring the pseudoscience of astrology in medicine. Thanks for the feedback!

Applying to Flexmed is great because it prepares you for the medical school application down the road. If you get in, great, but if you don't you will now have experience getting LORs, writing essays, and your EC weaknesses will be corrected.

Reactions: 1 users