WAMC Flexmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eric2205

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the first semester of college as a freshman is finishing up for me, I just wanted to ask if you think I have a decent chance at Flexmed early acceptance at Mount Sinai.

Demographics: Asian Male, no URM
High School: Competitive public magnet high school
GPA: 3.95/4 UW gpa & 4.6 W gpa
Class Rank: 11/494
SAT: 1580 (800 math, 780 reading)
AP Classes: 15 taken, 13 credits transfered

College: High ranked liberal arts college
Intended Major: Biochemistry & Microbiology Major with a minor in Business Administration
Scholarship: Full tuition, room, and board merit scholarship
Current Coursework: Intro biology, organic chemistry I, health policy and society, special topic English research (required for first years)
Next Semester Coursework: General biology I, Organic chemistry II, Intro Accounting, special topic English research (required for first years)
GPA: 4.0

Extracurriculars:

*note* -
The University I currently attend is only 10 minutes away from my house so I was able to continue all of my extracurriculars which I am extremely thankful for.

- Research (700 hours): 500 hours in a wet lab focused on proteins related to brain inflammation at local university, 200 hours in a chemistry lab focused on organic synthesis at my current university.
- Personal Research Projects: I conducted research in psychology 2 times during HS, no publications but was accepted to some state science fairs.
- EMT: Have completed EMT course and passed NREMT, Just joined a local rescue squad last week and am starting soon.
- Volunteering (200 hours): I have been volunteering at a food/clothing bank that also provides basic health care for those in need.
- Shadowing (50 hours): I've shadowed 4 different doctors, that's about it.
- (not sure if i am writing this) League of Legends: Peaked rank 300 Challenger in League of Legends, got many schools in my county into Varsity League of Legends, coach for my school's team, won states, personally attended some events (only won like 60 dollars tho).
- Music Teacher: I teach music theory and traditional Chinese music at a weekend school to kids. I get paid 25 dollars an hour, and I teach 2 hours a week.
- Chamber Orchestra Conductor/pianist: I made my own chamber orchestra group in 10th grade with 17 members of violins, cellos, violas, clarinets, and flutes. It was basically a group for people who felt underwhelmed since our county's music program wasn't very strong and was pretty overcrowded, so I wanted to make a group where there was some better management. I conduct for the group and occasionally play the piano for the group when the song we currently played needed one. We perform for charities, local events, and retirement homes. I have been personally been playing the piano for 11 years.
- Rock Band: I started a small rock band with 3 other friends. We mostly just play for fun on Friday evenings in my garage. I play the piano for the band. There is also a drummer, electric guitarist, and bassist
- Music Groups: I have been playing the clarinet and saxophone for 6 years. I am a part of my school's honor band as well as part of my city's orchestra. We put on 3 shows a year at a large theatre.
- Worship leader: I am the worship leader for my church, of which I play the piano for. I play on Fridays and Sundays for the youth and adult groups.
- University planning committee: meet once a week to organize events for the school.

Honors & Awards:
- National Certification from the Guild of Piano
- All district & county band from 6th-12th grade, all state band from 10th-12th grade (some for saxophone, some for clarinet)
- Full ride merit scholarship to current university
- Principal's Scholar HS award
- National Merit Semifinalist

Members don't see this ad.

Need to focus more on clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering by application time. If you can exceed 500 hours in those categories by the time you apply, you'll be in good shape. One solid clinical activity is good, and try to have one more non-clinical volunteering experience besides the one you already have.

Would try to bump shadowing to 80+ hours if you can. But not a huge deal, you have some good amounts already. Make sure a primary care doc is included in your lineup.

Would not include video games on the flexmed app. Some schools are open to that kind of thing. I would say Sinai is not one of those, especially for flexmed where it is to your advantage to present yourself in the most mature way possible given they're accepting you early.

Would combine your music performance activities into one good experience and label it most meaningful.

Keep in mind that while flexmed is moving away from their original focus and more towards just accepting students who would practically be good MD applicants anyway, having a decent flex factor and reason to need the freed up two years still matters. Based on your profile, I'm assuming your reason for flex time would be something related to music? If not, would heavily encourage some more strategic planning.

Your academics and stats are clearly fine. Keep your college gpa up.

Remember, while Sinai has this unique program at the end of the day their job is to accept applicants who will be good fits in their program (very social justice heavy) and good servants of their patient population (which includes some very disadvantaged groups in NYC). Make sure that 1) these focal points align with your personal goals and interests and 2) your application has a strong footing in these themes.

These are my thoughts!

Reactions: 1 user
Overall looks great. Agree not to put video games. Rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what League of Legends is. I don't know how relevant the Piano Certification is.

Other than that, why not try. If you don't get in, you can always apply as a regular applicant later.

I don't know what League of Legends is. I don't know how relevant the Piano Certification is.

Other than that, why not try. If you don't get in, you can always apply as a regular applicant later.
League's a popular MOBA and getting Challenger in League is a huge flex (at least to plebs like me).

Reactions: 1 users
I assume that an excellent GPA and high stats are table stakes for those who are admitted to the Flexmed program. Thus, I would consider your stats as a necessary prerequisite but nothing that distinuishes you from the herd of serious candidates. The purpose of the program is to give well-rounded students academic freedom during their UG years to pursue interests outside of medicine. I would orient your application to showing that you have the passion and interets OUTSIDE OF MEDICINE to make good use of that academic freedom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Need to focus more on clinical experience and non-clinical volunteering by application time. If you can exceed 500 hours in those categories by the time you apply, you'll be in good shape. One solid clinical activity is good, and try to have one more non-clinical volunteering experience besides the one you already have.

Would try to bump shadowing to 80+ hours if you can. But not a huge deal, you have some good amounts already. Make sure a primary care doc is included in your lineup.

Would not include video games on the flexmed app. Some schools are open to that kind of thing. I would say Sinai is not one of those, especially for flexmed where it is to your advantage to present yourself in the most mature way possible given they're accepting you early.

Would combine your music performance activities into one good experience and label it most meaningful.

Keep in mind that while flexmed is moving away from their original focus and more towards just accepting students who would practically be good MD applicants anyway, having a decent flex factor and reason to need the freed up two years still matters. Based on your profile, I'm assuming your reason for flex time would be something related to music? If not, would heavily encourage some more strategic planning.

Your academics and stats are clearly fine. Keep your college gpa up.

Remember, while Sinai has this unique program at the end of the day their job is to accept applicants who will be good fits in their program (very social justice heavy) and good servants of their patient population (which includes some very disadvantaged groups in NYC). Make sure that 1) these focal points align with your personal goals and interests and 2) your application has a strong footing in these themes.

These are my thoughts!
Could you pm me?