Florida or Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clanafanatic09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is either state better for practicing medicine or non traditional applicants?

I have an option to do my pre reqs in texas or in orlando florida. In florida i would live rent free.

Members don't see this ad.

Either state is a fine choice, but you had me convinced on FL at "rent free." Just be aware that you need to establish state residency here if you want to be an in-state applicant, and that may require you to hold a job, buy property, or otherwise pay taxes. A visit to UCF's website plus/minus a call to their admissions office to determine how you can establish official state residency for application purposes would probably be a good move.

Where you practice medicine has nothing to do with being non-traditional. You go to med school, go to residency, become board certified. Apply to the job you want in the state you want. Just like any other job.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies. My parents own a home in Lake Nona. I am on the deed of the home. Currently, I live in Texas and have in state admission preference. I did not take into account that Florida's tuition is much higher. I think the best option is to have my parents rent the lake nona property, and stay in texas. My hopes are to apply next May 1st. The logical choice is to stay in Texas.

If you have residency in TX already you would be silly to give it up unless you have some massive financial backing elsewhere. The tuition here is cheap and the 90% in-state resident quota for state schools is good for both trads and non trads.

Reactions: 1 users