For the top programs, how important is getting all honors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forsparta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know getting honors is part of the package that is looked at with other things, but how important is it to matching at one of the top programs in neurology? or is it only the honors in Neuro that matters?

Members don't see this ad.

I got honors in about a third of courses including neurology, and got interviews at all top programs I applied to except 1. The only program that ever even brought up a non-neurology grade not being honors was Columbia.

Not direct experience (yet) to answer you, but I'd speculate that outside of honoring neuro, it also probably looks pretty good to honor IM. In general, you want to as well as you can, but I'd imagine those are the big two rotations that are looked at by neuro program directors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need all-honors. Should honor neuro though, and IM if you can, although you can also honor your Sub-I later on if you do it early enough.

Reactions: 1 user
As mentioned before, aim for honors on your neurology rotation and sub-i's. This will be the most important. IM is also important. Any others will make you look good, but probably aren't as important.

I got honors in about a third of courses including neurology, and got interviews at all top programs I applied to except 1. The only program that ever even brought up a non-neurology grade not being honors was Columbia.

Thanks for the information! What was your gpa and Step 1 score?