For those with a low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n1ck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether it's during this current cycle or the 2015-2016, YOU CAN STILL DO IT

*Disclaimer: I know every case is different, so we all know this doesn't guarantee someone else's success, but I just wanted to share this to encourage others who might be in the same shoes as this*

I had a sub-par MCAT and really wasn't considering applying this past cycle. However, since it was my very first time applying, I decided to just go for it and see how it went.

It turned out great with 10 (!) interview invites (1 DO rejection, 3 MD rejections) and several acceptances!

I got accepted at a Texas MD school and am going to matriculate there this coming fall!

I don't know if it's considered an underdog story, but my stats were:

3.76 cGPA
25 MCAT

Good extracurriculars
A lot of work hours (3000+)
Good Committee Letter (at least I think it was good :laugh:)

I thought the MCAT was everything, but it's not. They definitely look at your entire application. All I can say is apply early and broadly!

I'd be happy to address any questions :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Ahhh, outliers.

TX schools represent a very special case, as do the lucky state schools such as in FL, MS, AL, AR and KS, to name a few.

But you have done well, OP, and good luck!

Whether it's during this current cycle or the 2015-2016, YOU CAN STILL DO IT

*Disclaimer: I know every case is different, so we all know this doesn't guarantee someone else's success, but I just wanted to share this to encourage others who might be in the same shoes as this*

I had a sub-par MCAT and really wasn't considering applying this past cycle. However, since it was my very first time applying, I decided to just go for it and see how it went.

It turned out great with 10 (!) interview invites (1 DO rejection, 3 MD rejections) and several acceptances!

I got accepted at a Texas MD school and am going to matriculate there this coming fall!

I don't know if it's considered an underdog story, but my stats were:

3.76 cGPA
25 MCAT

Good extracurriculars
A lot of work hours (3000+)
Good Committee Letter (at least I think it was good :laugh:)

I thought the MCAT was everything, but it's not. They definitely look at your entire application. All I can say is apply early and broadly!

I'd be happy to address any questions :)

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, outliers.

TX schools represent a very special case, as do the lucky state schools such as in FL, MS, AL, AR and KS, to name a few.

But you have done well, OP, and good luck!

I appreciate it, Goro. Yes, I've heard similar about these states. All I can say is that I'm thankful to be a Texan. By the way, I was actually a long-time lurker on the DO sub forums and just wanted to say that I found many of your posts on the "do I have a chance"-type threads to be very encouraging. So I owe you a thanks for that! :)

What schools did you apply to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go.

---DO SCHOOLS

LECOM
LECOM Bradenton
PCOM GA
ATSU KCOM
TOURO NV
WesternU Pomona
ACOM
VCOM CC

---TX Schools
UT Houston
UT MB Galveston
UT SOM San Antonio
UT SOM South Texas campus
UT UNT HSC TCOM

I mainly chose these DO schools because of the letter requirements. I did not have a DO letter at the time of application, so I applied to schools that required either an MD or DO LoR (or a DO LoR later on in the cycle)

Are you URM?

Yes

Reactions: 1 users
URM + Good state = acceptance. Congrats on the success by the way!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats. But to replicate, people would probably need to take gap years and move to Texas and setup shop for awhile...

A 25 MCAT is amazingly bad. Extra congratulations for getting into medical school with that.
"Are you URM?" Yes
Seriously- you didn't think that was relevant to mention?

Reactions: 11 users
It depends on the school...some schools won't even glance at your application if your MCAT is below the minimum for the school. Met with the dean to get tips for re-application, she said it was honestly just my MCAT score and everything else looked REALLY good. I scored one point below the minimum. So as long as the rest of your application is SPECTACULAR, at least make sure your MCAT score is at least at the school's minimum.

Congrats! Thank you for sharing, I wish you all the best!

You seem to be implying that you have discovered the rule, that the MCAT is "not everything." In fact friend I would say you are the exception to the rule. There is a reason, people with low GPA's and high MCAT scores are shown lenience; whereas the reverse is rare.

EDIT: You're URM status may have been a determining factor

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to be implying that you have discovered the rule, that the MCAT is "not everything." In fact friend I would say you are the exception to the rule. There is a reason, people with low GPA's and high MCAT scores are shown lenience; whereas the reverse is rare.
Preach.

Just to further support OPs statement, I know of ~7 people to get accepted to DO schools with sub 25 MCATs in the last 2 years. Most of them were non-URM. Still uncommon, but it happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to further support OPs statement, I know of ~7 people to get accepted to DO schools with sub 25 MCATs in the last 2 years. Most of them were non-URM. Still uncommon, but it happens.

That's not that uncommon, check out threads in osteo forum. Pikeville + LMU have an average of around 24. OP is talking about MD.

Last edited:
DO is different from MD. OP almost certainly wouldn't have gotten into an MD program if it wasn't for his URM status combined with a state that is great to apply in as an in-state resident. Great for the OP, but otherwise worthless to anyone else with similar stats.

I got into US MD with MCAT of 23

URM? Gpa? EC's? I'd like to hear the other factors of your app that got you in... (coming from one with an MCAT on the lower side)

Could see this happening with like a URM non-trad veteran in a state like West Virginia where >half of all applicants get accepted by virtue of their resident status alone (~57% of all applicants from WV get accepted to a US MD school). A 23 is only a couple points below the 10th percentile (25) at both WVU and Marshal.

* Also West Virginia fun fact, 4 out of 5 In-State applicants are granted an interview to WVU!

Reactions: 1 user
I already see where this is going lol

SDN is magnet to this topic.

Reactions: 3 users