Former nursing student, non traditional bachelor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m_ob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! A little background first and foremost. It's always been a dream of mine to practice medicine, and I've always had an incredible interest in human science. I have a very strong understanding of various diseases, human anatomy, drugs, physiology, and am very skilled specifically in linking different clinical markers to various conditions. Overall, I feel I would make a very good fit as a physician, and that is the main reason I decided to stop pursuing the nursing route and go and get my bachelor's. Currently I'll start this Summer at the state school as a Junior, and I'll graduate at the ripe age of 22. The only thing that scares me about what I've decided to do is the fact that if I do not succeed, I wouldn't have a lot to fall back on. To go pre med would essentially, and correct me if I'm wrong, mean that I'm limited to strictly med school after graduation. This scares me because of the possibility that I may not get in. I have been doing some research and much to my surprise, med school students seem to come from various educational backgrounds, some history majors even. My question for all of you then, is would it make more sense to major in something specific like marketing or advertising so that if I was not able to get into med school, I'd be able to fall back onto that specific degree for a career? The same goes for a liberal arts degree. While it's possible to get accepted with one, if rejected I do not know what I would do with one. Any input will be much appreciated! :)
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't really sound like you're a "nontraditional" applicant. You haven't finished a college degree and you can still graduate with a bachelors by the time you're 22. That's pretty traditional for med school applicants.

At most schools "pre-med" is a self-applied or loosely-recognized designation. You still major in something, and after graduation you can do whatever other people with that major are able to do.

Reactions: 1 users
...The only thing that scares me about what I've decided to do is the fact that if I do not succeed, I wouldn't have a lot to fall back on...

Applying to medical school is a gamble for everyone. That's why people are so dedicated to getting it right.