FP without Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbarzaga

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder If I can practice FP without peds, I like FP and OB but I don't like to practice peds, is there any alternative for me? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just don't do peds after you finish your residency. That's the great thing about FP -- you can do what you like and avoid what you dislike -- unless, of course, you're an FP working for someone else. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Lee, du you know where can I read more about alternatives and choices with FP?, I do not have much information. Thanks!

Hi Lee: Sorry I don't want to bother you but I have some Qs regarding FP:
1-Do you have fun with the job as a FP?
2-Are you working in a private clinic?, if yes, how do you keep up to date with the new medical issues and literature?
3-Do you have access to conference or Seminars in a University hospital?
4-Do you think that with less than 200 in step 1 and over 200 in step 2 is possible to get into a FP program in California?

Thanks a lot!
;)

Thanks for your questions:

See the AAFP site, they have a section just for medical students: http://www.aafp.org

1. I really enjoy FP -- lots of diversity and flexibility
2. I work in private practice, cost-sharing with 3 other FP physicians. I read a lot of journals, including AFP, Medical Letter, JAMA. I also listen to AudioDigest CDs in the car. I also usually go to one major conference every 3-4 months.
3. FP physicians can go to any conferences they like. Because of our broad knowlege base, FPs get invited to everything ( I throw away about 10 CME invitations a day -- no joke ).
4. I don't know what the current acceptance stats are for California. However, as a former chief resident, I can tell you that we often looked at the whole application, and not just people's numbers. At UCI, we rarely prescreened based on USMLE or GPA (unless the numbers were especially bad).

Originally posted by nbarzaga
I wonder If I can practice FP without peds, I like FP and OB but I don't like to practice peds, is there any alternative for me? :(

The problem with FP with OB, given your desire to not do peds, is that you will have a patient population of many young women of child bearing age and their families. Maybe you will have a partner who likes the peds patients?

The FPs I know who do much OB have lots of young women and lots of peds in their practice. One FP told me he sees the OB as a way to continually grow his practice. He sees the OB as the work, and the peds as the pay off.

Thank you Lee, thank you Dunkan for all the Info you give to us ...but I still have Qs: I am considering to get more experience before I make my final decision about FP. Do you think it is better to make some clerkship in the practice of a FP or in a Hospital? Regarding the residency: It is better to apply in a community-based program or in a hospital related program? I mean which one is the best way to get really involved with FP, going to a Hospital or to a community clinic?, which one is a stronger LOR for a residency application?......:confused: Thanks!!