Free Radical Halogenation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxxxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a pure enantiomer undergoes free radical halogenation by abstraction of a hydrogen atom from its chiral carbon, racemization occurs, and the reaction produces a racemic mixture of the two possible enantiomers. What is (are) the product(s) when a pure enantiomer of 1-chloro-2-methylbutane undergoes such a reaction?

Q1085972_1.gif

1-chloro-2-methylbutane
  • (±)-1,2-dichloro-2-methylbutane
  • (±)-1,3-dichloro-2-methylbutane
  • (±)-1,4-dichloro-2-methylbutane
uncheckedRadioButton.png
A.
I only
correctAnswer.png

Correct Answer
uncheckedRadioButton.png
B.
II only
uncheckedRadioButton.png
C.
III only
checkedRadioButton.png
D.
I and II only
Explanation:
A. The only products formed are the two enantiomers of 1,2-dichloro-2-methylbutane.

Can anyone explain why (±)-1,3-dichloro-2-methylbutane couldn't form? I understand it's C2 is tertiary and is favored, but why can't C3 form a secondary carbocation? The product would also be racemic.

edit: in fact, C3 should be more selective than C2. Since radical halogenation rate for Cl is 5:4:1 for tert, sec, and primary carbocation, and there are 2 H's on C3, and one 1 H on C2. So selectivity for C3:C2 should be 8:5 favoring C3. Is this just a really bad question, or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

Technically, other products can form besides I.

But the question is very specific in asking what would the products be if halogenation occurred only at the chiral carbon.

Ah, I see. I guess I wasn't sure if C3 would be considered chiral, since it would be chiral after halogenation. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.