Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This inspired me to see if there is a fourth option and there is! I can get a pen that is designed for me to fidget with it. My favorite so far is the one that is made up of magnets.

Glad I can help. Other option - providing therapy while in a Chinese finger trap :rofl:

rockos modern life 90s GIF

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Uniball pens. Good to write with. Nothing to take apart. Not very expensive.

Or start doing the Luria fingertip tapping. A drunk professor of logic taught me that one rainy day in an ice cream shop.

So many questions...
Why drunk?

Why drunk in an ice cream shop?

Why get ice cream on a rainy day?

Is this state dependent learning?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just trying to figure out what I am missing. Weather is looking a bit grey. May have to hit the bourbon and then get out to the local purveyor of frozen treats.

Reactions: 1 users
So many questions...
Why drunk?

Why drunk in an ice cream shop?

Why get ice cream on a rainy day?

Is this state dependent learning?

I guess he liked alcohol and ice cream? I think he was trying to explain the circular logic problem of Libet using consciousness to make his findings. He was demonstrating Luria's hand motions for that purpose. Or maybe he was just drunk rambling. It was an interesting conversation that lasted the length of an ice cream cone.

This would probably be more appropriate for a Wednesday thread but alas, we don't have one, so since we are closer to Friday than Monday, this will have to do. My last day at my current job is next Friday, but all of my patients except one this week have no showed or cancelled. I've already completed all of my reports and done all feedback sessions... so now I'm trying to find things to do to occupy my time until my last day. So far, I've organized my patient files and alphabetized them, cleaned out my desk, and packed up my books and diplomas. I thought about asking if I can be done earlier than next Friday but didn't want them to dump a bunch more patients onto me at the last minute, so trying to lay low. No one has said a word to me about offboarding yet which is interesting. Is it next Friday yet?

This would probably be more appropriate for a Wednesday thread but alas, we don't have one, so since we are closer to Friday than Monday, this will have to do. My last day at my current job is next Friday, but all of my patients except one this week have no showed or cancelled. I've already completed all of my reports and done all feedback sessions... so now I'm trying to find things to do to occupy my time until my last day. So far, I've organized my patient files and alphabetized them, cleaned out my desk, and packed up my books and diplomas. I thought about asking if I can be done earlier than next Friday but didn't want them to dump a bunch more patients onto me at the last minute, so trying to lay low. No one has said a word to me about offboarding yet which is interesting. Is it next Friday yet?

Sounds like it is Friday for you. Surf the internet and take a loooong lunch. If you leave earlier, they stop paying you earlier. Don't think I have ever had a job where I was offboarded or received an exit interview. I just kind of stopped showing up and handed in my equipment with the occasional pat on the back and thanks for the work. One boss bought me lunch. So, if anything more happens then good for you.

Reactions: 2 users
discussing "the good, bad, and ugly" of implicit bias research & training, trying not to get swept away in the latest atmospheric river, and preparing for our daughter's mad-scientist-themed 7yr bday party. happy friday y'all!

Attachments

• The Good Bad and Ugly of Implicit Bias.pdf
    531.1 KB · Views: 40
discussing "the good, bad, and ugly" of implicit bias research & training, trying not to get swept away in the latest atmospheric river, and preparing for our daughter's mad-scientist-themed 7yr bday party. happy friday y'all!
Thanks for sharing, stay dry, and happy birthday to the kiddo! I want a mad scientist party

...and nobody make a joke about your dissertation committee

Finally received my LMHC license this week, a long road with an education pivot but finally accomplished something. Hoping for nicer weather in the coming weeks. Ready for spring! May the luck of the Irish ☘️ be with SDN!

• Love
Finished up 2 IME reports this morning. Need to finish up 2 more within the next week and some depo prep. Dropping a lot of heavy invoices this month :) Wife's bday, so some planned activities this evening and this weekend to celebrate.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Papa Bear is out of town this weekend, so gonna try and keep the baby bears busy so that there’s no shenanigans. Hope I can stay sane and have a little me time after putting them to bed.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Papa Bear is out of town this weekend, so gonna try and keep the baby bears busy so that there’s no shenanigans. Hope I can stay sane and have a little me time after putting them to bed.
Baby Animals Fighting GIF
bear cub GIF

• Haha
Reserved a spot to pick in a litter for a new puppy, coming in July! We had been talking about getting a dog for years, and took the plunge last may. We ended up with the sweetest labradoodle (Mabel). Unfortunately, there was an unknown genetic condition and we lost her a few days before last Christmas due to kidney failure. New pup won't replace her, but it will fill a huge void in our family.

Reactions: 4 users
Reserved a spot to pick in a litter for a new puppy, coming in July! We had been talking about getting a dog for years, and took the plunge last may. We ended up with the sweetest labradoodle (Mabel). Unfortunately, there was an unknown genetic condition and we lost her a few days before last Christmas due to kidney failure. New pup won't replace her, but it will fill a huge void in our family.
Nothing like what a dog can bring to your life. We have three.

I've got an Australian labradoodle. She is so athletic and I love jogging with her.

Got a poster presentation I'm a part of approved for the APA convention :thumbup:
A little disappointed that it runs on the same dates as GenCon, but hey

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Mad scientist party was a success....vinegar-baking soda-food coloring potion making, dry ice cauldrons, exploding coke & mentos, black-light-fluorescent-tape dance room, chemistry magic show, mini-Erlenmeyer flask sippy cups, piñata. ~20 first graders and parents...and some biology. I woke with a sore throat :(

Reactions: 6 users
In the midst of some serious/interesting/important discussions on some other threads, I got a notification that tickets go on sale for the Pixies (!!!) and Modest Mouse this Friday for a concert in August at Mass MOCA. Pixies are incredible, Modest Mouse is respectable, and Mass MOCA is an incredible concert venue (and North Adam's is a surprisingly fun little town/city). Cool things is my son likes both bands a lot and is old enough to drive me and my buddies there (45 minute drive), but not yet old enough to drink! If you can be there, you really should be there!

I'm also seeing the Feelies next month! It's nice to pretend I'm not as old as I am!

Last edited:
Today: Flight back home tonight,
Saturday: spending some time with psygirl
Sunday: Long run, writing the rest of the day so I can meet publication deadlines

Let's see, my Friday was interesting.

1. Attempted to complete my quarterly peer reviews that took 2 (unnecessary) hours because the person in charge of coordinating this crap did not check that the link they sent me wasn't working on their end every time I was submitting my completed reviews, so I had to do the reviews 3 times over this morning. They then CC'd the chief on their responses to me in which I sort of laid into them telling them they were mis-characterizing the situation and that it was on them, not me...and also told them I didn't have time to do these reviews for a 4th time over. They could either take my reviews in the saved spreadsheet, or leave it.

2. Had some excellent patients and did some good work for trauma, SUD, chronic pain. Had a mixed bag today for patient care.

3. This evening I will be jumping in our pool, putting on the outside TV and float around contemplating life.

In other news, I finally became in network with BCBS and Cigna today, so now I have three carriers I am in network with. Yay.

Last edited:
Taking a nap with my cat is very therapeutic.

• Love
Suit or sans? Nothing like skinny dipping under the stars to facilitate existential contemplation.

Luckily since we have privacy fencing, no suits :) We also installed some nice dim/warm lighting throughout the backyard to give a nice ambience. Today I am grilling two racks of spare ribs, marinated chicken thighs, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños, Italian sausages, eggplant, and asparagus. We have some friends coming over for the evening!

Celebrating my birthday with some friends this weekend. Hotel, games, food, rage room, etc.

Feeling exhausted, got funding, behind on notes, making cornbread...its been a mixed bag this week

fail merry go round GIF

I discovered over the past two weeks how conditioned I am to write while standing. I have a varidesk desk converter on campus and a flat rubber mat to stand on, but the pp office sublet is set up for traditional therapy. As the academic year begins to wind down and sabbatical nears, I added a smaller desk converter and a fancier standing mat to the pp office. One week of use and I think they're great and would recommend. I also love the varidesk, but I needed something I could take out and then store away when not in use.

happy Friday!

I discovered over the past two weeks how conditioned I am to write while standing. I have a varidesk desk converter on campus and a flat rubber mat to stand on, but the pp office sublet is set up for traditional therapy. As the academic year begins to wind down and sabbatical nears, I added a smaller desk converter and a fancier standing mat to the pp office. One week of use and I think they're great and would recommend. I also love the varidesk, but I needed something I could take out and then store away when not in use.

happy Friday!
Thanks for linking that! I have a standing desk at home but was feeling a little hopeless about my options in office - this converter looks great! And I love my topo mini.

Traveling from one hotel to the next hotel. Lots of work this weekend, but psygal is coming out to this city. Heading home Sunday.

Tying some flies this afternoon for first fishing of the season tomorrow morning. Concert tomorrow evening (the Feelies). Spring/summer ice hockey starts Sunday Night. I'm going to be tired come Monday morning.

all work this weekend but just got one of those mushroom "coffee" brew things and excited to try it out. I drink coffee 2 - 3 times per week and tea rest of the time but with allergies and stress (internship start date is coming way too quickly) I just feel tired and foggy. Either it'll be amazing or ill be patient 0 for a real life zombie cordyceps outbreak.

Also anyone heard of/participated in the NIH JEAP initiative? I applied and am curious if people have found it as supportive as its advertised.

Successfully defended my Master’s thesis today!!! Grateful for the mentorship I’ve had up until this point and excited for the rest of my grad program!

Overseas, enjoying the weather and local cuisine, finishing up work next week and heading home to see the other Dr. WisNeuro and the little gremlins.
You ever notice that I'm "out to dinner" with "psygal", when you're out of town?

Ready for Friday so that classes can start dying down and I can get back to my fitness regimen.

The heavy bag has been calling my name.

I have hand, foot, and mouth disease... for the second time. I had like six of these canker sores this week, and they sucked. I felt a little sluggish on Tuesday. But went for a jog Weds and today. I get to work, and am mid session with a patient, and notice some tingling on my hands. I look down and there are all these little red spots and bumps. Dammit.

• Sad
  • Care