Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have hand, foot, and mouth disease... for the second time. I had like six of these canker sores this week, and they sucked. I felt a little sluggish on Tuesday. But went for a jog Weds and today. I get to work, and am mid session with a patient, and notice some tingling on my hands. I look down and there are all these little red spots and bumps. Dammit.
Bummer. You catch if from the kids?

Members don't see this ad.

Kids can be real nuisance. 2 year old are always sticking my testing materials, office toys, pens, etc. In their mouths, lacking my windows and table, and ejecting various germ filled liquids from there noses and mouths. They also frequently poop in their diapers and stink up my office.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kids can be real nuisance. 2 year old are always sticking my testing materials, office toys, pens, etc. In their mouths, lacking my windows and table, and ejecting various germ filled liquids from there noses and mouths. They also frequently poop in their diapers and stink up my office.
That's a huge peeve of mine. I know that parents get desensitized to their own kids poopy diaps, but I'll pause offer to grab them a diaper...

Submitted a job application last night and have a 15 min phone call with the HR recruiter next week. Nervous and excited about new possibilities.

Reactions: 4 users
Tomorrow will be my first day off in a month-ish. Planning on gym and laying on the couch. Maybe drinking rye in a new smoking jacket.

Tomorrow will be my first day off in a month-ish. Planning on gym and laying on the couch. Maybe drinking rye in a new smoking jacket.
I though Heff was dead.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Attending an on-line conference today. Registered for it just assuming it would be back in person- uggh. Fortunately, I had another conference this past Monday in the same hotel where I thought this one would be. I remarked to a coworker there that I'd see her there again Friday. Good thing she corrected me or I would've driven out there (about 90 minutes) again today.

My lawn is really long, and I have a bunch of mulch still in my truck from last weekend, so I know what my weekend plans will involve (after I finish correcting final assignments that I've been avoiding for a week or two). Also have the local Pride parade in town tomorrow, and that's also a good time.

Reactions: 1 users
Attending an on-line conference today. Registered for it just assuming it would be back in person- uggh. Fortunately, I had another conference this past Monday in the same hotel where I thought this one would be. I remarked to a coworker there that I'd see her there again Friday. Good thing she corrected me or I would've driven out there (about 90 minutes) again today.

My lawn is really long, and I have a bunch of mulch still in my truck from last weekend, so I know what my weekend plans will involve (after I finish correcting final assignments that I've been avoiding for a week or two). Also have the local Pride parade in town tomorrow, and that's also a good time.
Pride parades are so fun with kiddos.

Rye tastes better in a smoking jacket. Or so I've heard.

It's a little too peppery for me most of the time. Probably because I don't have a smoking jacket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well folks, on Sunday I embark on my Peace Corps adventure. For the next 27mo you can find me along the equator! (That’s a hint). Super pumped. While I’m sure I’ll run into many trials and tribulations, it feels good to be able to shake my fist at my midwestern home state and say “screw you, I’m out!”

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Bought new lawnmower today. Electric. So light and quiet- made me realize how awful my old one was.

Got a new bass rod and reel a few weeks ago. I've always mainly done fly fishing, but have gotten into spin fishing for bass last few years. Hopefully get to try out the new rig tomorrow, though may end up flyfishing for trout instead. Either way, going to enjoy the few weeks until Summer semester starts.

Last edited:
Snl I Feel Bad GIF by Saturday Night Live

Am working on grant this morning. Small human asked me twice if I'm going out to breakfast/hike with her and dad and ugh

Last edited:
  • Care
I'm out of state for business all weekend, with the options to write about clinical stuff, forensic stuff, or academic stuff.

Bought new lawnmower today. Electric. So light and quiet- made me realize how awful my old one was.

Got a new bass rod and reel a few weeks ago. I've always mainly done fly fishing, but have gotten into spin fishing for bass last few years. Hopefully get to try out the new rig tomorrow, though may end up flyfishing for trout instead. Either way, going to enjoy the few weeks until Summer semester starts.
Ego?

pretty surreal last few days. Friday, my high school band director conducted his final jazz concert and retired after 39 years. He had an incredible career, won tons of awards himself and for the student marching & jazz bands/choir, including multiple Downbeat national winners. In March we started organizing an alumni jazz band and choir to play a surprise concert. I dusted off my trumpet and slowly regained some chops. I hadn't played a gig in almost 20 years and hadn't played a jazz gig in ~25 years. Grads flew in from all over the US and two came from Europe. We finally all met each other the night before the show and rehearsed together about 90 mins. Thankfully it all came together and sounded great. Grads from as far back as the mid 80's to last year played together. It felt magical, he had no idea, the ~700 seat theatre was packed, tears flowed freely.

It also would have been the last day of class before sabbatical, but I had already cancelled it back in March. So Wednesday I taught my last class till Aug '24, picked up my kids from school, and headed with them and my wife to my hometown and old high school. We spent a few nights and I saw people I hadn't seen in 20+ years. Bonus: my cousin was one of his first students and also played in the reunion gig, we had never played in a band together. Our moms are sisters and loved that we were playing together after all this time. Still have finals to give this week and some grading to finish, but it was a pretty great unofficial beginning to sabbatical.

• Love
^kinda reminds me of Mr. Holland’s Opus movie ending 😊

Buddy is coming up for the weekend. Fully embracing my middle aged yuppie lifestyle with a full golf bag fitting/analysis and new set of irons and driver tomorrow.
Ooh! Do tell. Been a few years since I was fitted. Currently in Mizuno irons and Ping woods. Putter hasn’t changed in about ten years. Trusty two ball and mid-fat super stroke.

Firstborn graduated college yesterday with psychology major. So very proud. Her goal is to be a school adjustment counselor with side-gig private practice providing therapy to teenagers. Starting an MSW program in the fall.

Reactions: 8 users
Firstborn graduated college yesterday with psychology major. So very proud. Her goal is to be a school adjustment counselor with side-gig private practice providing therapy to teenagers. Starting an MSW program in the fall.
How do you feel about this? I'm at least 20 years away from it.

How do you feel about this? I'm at least 20 years away from it.
These types of "now you are officially old" milestones are always an eye-opener, but seeing that your kids have turned out ok is not just a source of some pride, but also relief! I am glad to not have to pay for her college any more- that stuff ain't cheap.

I'm happy she chose the MSW route- she wants to primarily do clinical work, so she realized that the doctoral route would be overkill. Bonus that she opted for the local, inexpensive option, despite being accepted to several more expensive, further away programs. Eventually I hope the kids move out (it's a small house for 4 adults), but it's nice to have everyone together.

Last edited:
Wrapped up another 14-patient Friday and a long week. Looking forward to the holiday weekend. Roasting chiles tomorrow with family followed by an afternoon of from scratch enchilada making. A Ranch Water or two will accompany the process.

If anyone thinks that getting into a funded doctoral program is competitive, they should try registering their kid for swim lessons. What's the unfunded equivalent? Duct taping a pool noodle to your kid and toss them in the local pond?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
If anyone thinks that getting into a funded doctoral program is competitive, they should try registering their kid for swim lessons. What's the unfunded equivalent? Duct taping a pool noodle to your kid and toss them in the local pond?
It's bad. Desirable camping spots are the same here too -- they can be reserved 6 months in advance and lots of coastal summer spots fill the day they open. We learned the hard way a few years ago.

It's bad. Desirable camping spots are the same here too -- they can be reserved 6 months in advance and lots of coastal summer spots fill the day they open. We learned the hard way a few years ago.
Come a state over- Nevada is 87% public land, UT 75%, AZ 60%, etc. Boondocking!

Oh, for sure. There's a couple of first come, first serve places that I tend to gravitate towards for that very reason. In those situations, I'm banking that many people aren't on the road by 5am. I haven't been wrong yet.

I think we're in a saturated area, we got our kid in with like 2 weeks notice.

It's bad. Desirable camping spots are the same here too -- they can be reserved 6 months in advance and lots of coastal summer spots fill the day they open. We learned the hard way a few years

Wife and I heading out this weekend for two weeks camping on Mt Desert Island (Acadia National Park) in Maine. Been going to same campground for 20 years. We book for next year when we leave. Prime sites on waterfront go really quickly. We're back int the woods (quieter and less packed in), and these sites still book up fast. We're at a private campground, but there are some national park ones on the island. They save some first com first serve sites, but you have to get in line real early to get those.

First year going without kids for entire trip. Will definitely be more chill, and certainly less expensive. Going to put some of the savings towards a guided sea kayaking trip.

Swimming lessons are no joke. In my area you hear about kids drowning or almost drowning near daily. We started my youngest at 18 months. But he could get chucked in, and make it to the wall to hold on.

New rule proposal - anytime someone on this forum does something cool and outdoorsy, they should post pictures :)

New rule proposal - anytime someone on this forum does something cool and outdoorsy, they should post pictures :)
Diving in Cozumel last week :) Pic isn't me but one of the folks I was down with- pic was just too good!

This week it's DC for AACN, but my mom came up for her birthday so lots of museum crawling as well.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1686299923734.jpg
    FB_IMG_1686299923734.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 43
We went tide pooling a couple of weeks ago in La Jolla and saw this :
IMG_3045.jpeg

My god is it green there.
Yeah- our campsite is up against a rocky outcropping that is totally covered in green moss, surrounded by pines. The island (Mt. Desert Isle is very lush this time of year. Here’s a cooler activity shot from the canoe during our “brunch cruise”, looking at the campground sites along the water (top of Somers Sound- Atlantic Ocean), and the cove we ate our bagels in. If you haven’t been to Acadia National Park, put it on the list.
IMG_4186.jpeg
IMG_4191.jpeg