Friend Taking New MCAT 4 times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT472Man

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A friend of mine took the MCAT 3 times and didn't get the score he wanted. He applied to mid-tier schools like Geisinger and Drexel this cycle but got rejected. Would it look bad for him to re-take the MCAT for the 4th time and then re-apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I say it would depend on his score history. Please note as well, there's a take limit now. From MCAT FAQ

Single testing year:
  • The MCAT exam can be taken up to three times.
Two consecutive-year period:
  • The MCAT exam can be taken up to four times.
Lifetime:
  • The MCAT exam can be taken up to seven times in a lifetime.
What this means for your friend, is that if he's taken all three times within a two year testing period, he only has one more shot. He also is halfway to the lifetime limit.

My best advice to your friend is to take a moment to reevaluate his entire application. This may be an opportunity to take a deep look at whatever deficiencies there are (GPA, MCAT, ECs, PS, etc) and see what exactly should be done to improve his application as a whole. If this friend is actually you, please say so. I can only talk for myself, but I don't judge re-takers here, we all struggle on this path together. If it really is your friend, I would encourage him to sign up to SDN so that he can more directly receive the help he is looking for.

Reactions: 2 users
How much do you really think you're going to improve if you take it again? You went 506,507, to 508. A 508 is a solid score and unless you're scoring consistently above 514 or so on practice tests, I can't really see why taking the MCAT for a 4th time would do you much benefit. Even if you did get a 514, that averages out to 508.75. That likely isn't your limiting factor. Your grades are good and so are your ECs. Apply to more DO schools and you've got a decent list on your hands. When did you apply for this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs look solid, assuming you took care to include it all on your primary. GPA/MCAT looks solid too, I can't imagine why a 506-508 would be the issue, unless the issue is that you took it three times with only a point or two of improvement, which can be read as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, why didn't you adapt."

California schools are highly competitive, so being a CA resident, it is prudent to apply broadly, both geographically and tier-wise.

Another issue that I can't account for is if there is something going on with your LORs/Committee letter and/or your personal statement and secondaries. Those are the only remaining components of your application that are unaccounted for.

I knew someone who took the MCAT 2 times, and was rejected everywhere during their first cycle, then took the MCAT 2 more times (4 times total) before applying for their second cycle and now they attend a top tier (top 10) school!! I would say go for it if you think you can improve your score the 4th time around.

How much do you really think you're going to improve if you take it again? You went 506,507, to 508. A 508 is a solid score and unless you're scoring consistently above 514 or so on practice tests, I can't really see why taking the MCAT for a 4th time would do you much benefit. Even if you did get a 514, that averages out to 508.75. That likely isn't your limiting factor. Your grades are good and so are your ECs. Apply to more DO schools and you've got a decent list on your hands. When did you apply for this cycle?
I applied a little late. Submitted primary in July. And submitted most of my secondaries on the last week of September. The only one I submitted really late was my UCLA one because they pre-screen and submitted in November. And yea everything I mentioned was on my primary except my scribe position which I started after I submitted my primary. So I mentioned it in all of my secondaries where I could and in update letters to schools. I also applied to the Temple Post Bacc. Do you guys think I have good chances with that program at least?

The other thing was, on my practice exams, I kept getting 513+. The only time I got 509 or below was when I did Kaplan course at the beginning of my MCAT prep in July of 2016. I don't know if it was just nerves during the exam or if it was something else. My reasoning for taking the exam so quickly in between was because I was in an accelerated program which had subsection and overall requirements. I got the overall requirements each time but their subsection requirement was that I had no subsection below 127, so that's where everything got screwed for me. My pre-med advisor told me to re-take the mcat if i don't get in this cycle and I wanted to know from you guys what you thought about it.

Tbh, I always heard that it is not common for people to jump scores really high. From the scores that you provided it shows that you probably won't get too much of a jump on your score. A 508 is a good score and I would not want to jeopardize my chances if the next score is lower.

Tbh, I always heard that it is not common for people to jump scores really high. From the scores that you provided it shows that you probably won't get too much of a jump on your score. A 508 is a good score and I would not want to jeopardize my chances if the next score is lower.

No it’s not common, because most takers do not take the necessary (and drastic) steps to revamp their studying style.

I personally did, and jumped from what was essentially a 502 to a 517.

Secret? My friend, there is no secret to MCAT success. Just like there are no shortcuts.

1. Search function here and on reddit. Start from scratch. Read every strategy STARTING with the SN2ed classics and moving on. Don’t just blindly follow. Understand WHY they say to do things.

2. Fix myself, starting with my lifestyle and body. Healthy body enables a healthy mind. This includes scheduling rest days and rest periods throughout the day. Diet, exercise, sleep hygiene, caffeine dependence, etc.

3. Being honest with myself in analyzing what I did and didn’t do the last time.

4. Maturity, self-discipline, and resolve.

5. Coalescing all of the above together to design a highly personalized, intense schedule that pushed me to 95% of my limit and allowed me to peak right at exam time.

Here’s the thing. People don’t like being wrong. And if they ARE wrong, they don’t like finding out they’re at fault, and they most certainly don’t like getting into the real nitty gritty of everything bad they did. But this is the most important step to success, not just on the MCAT but in life. You have to set your ego aside, look at things objectively (and not pretend objective, really objective), and take concrete steps beyond saying “I’ll work harder.” Dont work harder, work smarter.

I left a much more detailed post on the 509+ study habits thread. Hopefully this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Secret? My friend, there is no secret to MCAT success. Just like there are no shortcuts.

1. Search function here and on reddit. Start from scratch. Read every strategy STARTING with the SN2ed classics and moving on. Don’t just blindly follow. Understand WHY they say to do things.

2. Fix myself, starting with my lifestyle and body. Healthy body enables a healthy mind. This includes scheduling rest days and rest periods throughout the day. Diet, exercise, sleep hygiene, caffeine dependence, etc.

3. Being honest with myself in analyzing what I did and didn’t do the last time.

4. Maturity, self-discipline, and resolve.

5. Coalescing all of the above together to design a highly personalized, intense schedule that pushed me to 95% of my limit and allowed me to peak right at exam time.

Here’s the thing. People don’t like being wrong. And if they ARE wrong, they don’t like finding out they’re at fault, and they most certainly don’t like getting into the real nitty gritty of everything bad they did. But this is the most important step to success, not just on the MCAT but in life. You have to set your ego aside, look at things objectively (and not pretend objective, really objective), and take concrete steps beyond saying “I’ll work harder.” Dont work harder, work smarter.

I left a much more detailed post on the 509+ study habits thread. Hopefully this helps.
Beautiful!

I would say do not take it again, look at your application and see what needs improvement. You already have good EC. I had a 502, with a 3.8 sGPA and I got into med school with 4 interviews. Try and modify the schools you apply to, and include schools like Penn state