"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you take your Psych coursework, you'll be able to identify the behavioral abnormality this guy had!

One of my "favorite" stories is from one of my former co-workers. A bit of background first: 0 clinical experience, 0 volunteering, 0 research, 0 shadowing, hasn't taken the MCAT yet, and has a 3.4 GPA (not a bad GPA, but clearly has nothing to supplement it with). Oh, also, he is the most arrogant person I have ever met, constantly talks down to you using big words like he has a thesaurus to his face, and SUCKS to work with in every way you can imagine.

Him: So, did you get into any medical schools yet?
Me: Yes! I've been accepted to three, I am very fortunate.
Him: Oh, that's cool. I'm going to apply next year.
Me: Nice! Have you been doing any shadowing or getting clinical experience?
Him: No, I don't really need that. I'm a very passionate person and I KNOW that will come through during interviews (automatically assuming he will get them). I think I am going to go to either Harvard or Johns Hopkins and then become a trauma surgeon.
Me: Whoah! Going big, huh? (obviously I know he is full of it at this point) Did you crush the MCAT or what?
Him: Nah, I haven't taken it yet. But, as you know (I wasn't even aware I knew!), I am one of the smartest people around - especially with all of the idiots that work here (we definitely do not work with idiots). I don't need to study for verbal because I read a lot, and I am very scientifically inclined.
Me: Well sounds like you have it in the bag!
Him: (huge grin) Yeah, it's too bad you couldn't get into the top schools, but I think you'll still become an adequate doctor.
Me: (laughing) Good luck, you're going to need it - I left the room immediately after I said this, and, as I looked back, he had a very confused look on his face, like he was trying to crack a safe lol.

He quit shortly after we had this conversation, so I cannot be totally sure of the outcome of his application cycle, but I think it is safe to say that he is not going to Harvard hahaha :smack:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Probably one of the most common things I've run into with other pre-meds is that almost half of them coming in freshman year have dreams of becoming a doctor, but usually way in over their heads. They don't understand that the coursework will be rigorous and that hundreds of hours of hard work and determination must be put in. I hate when they say, "It's easy, I can do it" or "My grades might not be that good, but I interview REALLY well," ...as if that's all that matters.

One of my friend's old roommates, who took horrible advantage of her, came in freshman year and said she was going to be a pediatric neurosurgeon (because I'm sure she knew everything about that). She flunked out of our freshman biology class in the first semester. I think she's an ASL major now. (But then she flunked her multiplication/division course and lost her aid and had to take a year off.)

Then one time when I was volunteering, I cringed at the conversation that took place across from me. One of my friends, pre-med, has an immunodeficiency and was telling about this to the girl next to him, who was also pre-med. She had this confused look on her face and asked, "You know you're like going to be around patients right? And that you'll have to get dirty and stuff?"

Her question was incredibly ignorant and rude. Luckily my friend is blunt and put her in her place. She had no earthly idea what his deficiency was and she was assuming that just breathing the same air as the patient would cause him to keel over and die. Geez.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably one of the most common things I've run into with other pre-meds is that almost half of them coming in freshman year have dreams of becoming a doctor, but usually way in over their heads. They don't understand that the coursework will be rigorous and that hundreds of hours of hard work and determination must be put in. I hate when they say, "It's easy, I can do it" or "My grades might not be that good, but I interview REALLY well," ...as if that's all that matters.

One of my friend's old roommates, who took horrible advantage of her, came in freshman year and said she was going to be a pediatric neurosurgeon (because I'm sure she knew everything about that). She flunked out of our freshman biology class in the first semester. I think she's an ASL major now. (But then she flunked her multiplication/division course and lost her aid and had to take a year off.)

Then one time when I was volunteering, I cringed at the conversation that took place across from me. One of my friends, pre-med, has an immunodeficiency and was telling about this to the girl next to him, who was also pre-med. She had this confused look on her face and asked, "You know you're like going to be around patients right? And that you'll have to get dirty and stuff?"

Her question was incredibly ignorant and rude. Luckily my friend is blunt and put her in her place. She had no earthly idea what his deficiency was and she was assuming that just breathing the same air as the patient would cause him to keel over and die. Geez.

I can't even tell you how many times I've heard the, "[insert deficiency here]...but I interview really well," comment from people. How do they even know? How many medical school interviews have they been on? @Goro, will an "amazing" interview really ever fully compensate for poor academics/lack of ECs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm usually not one to get annoyed by things on the internet, but I just want to point out that not everyone who takes a post-bacc does so for gpa repair or because we are stupid. Some of us have had great grades and success in other careers before the medicine bug bit us. It drives me crazy every time someone gives me that "look" when I say I took a post-bacc. I (and most of the people in my post-bacc) had phenomenal grades in undergrad, we just didn't have all of the pre-reqs for med school.

edited to move quotation mark
+1. My post-bacc ruined my 4.0 from undergrad... had to apply with a shameful 3.99. The horror!!

Haha. But yeah, I've actually never gotten this, but that might be because I pretty much automatically launch into the "I used to have another career" part of my explanation.

Reactions: 7 users
I can't even tell you how many times I've heard the, "[insert deficiency here]...but I interview really well," comment from people. How do they even know? How many medical school interviews have they been on? @Goro, will an "amazing" interview really ever fully compensate for poor academics/lack of ECs?

Well, to be fair: if they got an interview, it means someone deemed their stats adequate enough to make it through the rigor of medical school. If they have an amazing interview, all the better.

I'm not @Goro, though. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Well, to be fair: if they got an interview, it means someone deemed their stats adequate enough to make it through the rigor of medical school. If they have an amazing interview, all the better.

I'm not @Goro, though. :p
That is a valid point!

A great interview will sometimes make us want to gamble on borderline interviewees. We will do no one any favors by admitting someone who can't handle medical school.

Unfortunately, my school doesn't pre-screen applicants. So we unfairly end up inviting people who are typically DOA. Our wily old Admissions dean doesn't have to teach these, but we Faculty do. Hence, we're more stringent.

Reactions: 4 users
Just heard a guy in a medical laboratory science bachelor's program refer to himself as a "full-time medical student" :smack:

Reactions: 8 users
Awww, Spinach! What I wouldn't do for what I'm pretty sure I remember your most recent MCAT score was... :)

Its ok. I'm over it. :)

But honestly, whenever I hear someone complaining about their 3.9 GPA it makes me want to complain about how I COULD HAVE scored a 42 on the MCAT if not for those stupid verbal sections.....

Reactions: 5 users

I have the opposite problem, I frequently get paranoid about staying at the top academically because I think I'm rather crap at interviews. I need to go into our center and do some practice ones because I'm pretty good at talking about my work but i stumble when I have to talk about myself, especially in group settings and not one on one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the opposite problem, I frequently get paranoid about staying at the top academically because I think I'm rather crap at interviews. I need to go into our center and do some practice ones because I'm pretty good at talking about my work but i stumble when I have to talk about myself, especially in group settings and not one on one.

I'm most nervous about MMI! I like working in groups,I'm just afraid of being in ones where everyone will try to take over and be the leader.

And to stay on the topic of pre-meds, this may not be a funny things that misinformed pre-meds do, but is it just me or am I seeing more freshman coming in as bioengineering wanting to go to med school? Why is this a thing? I feel like I'm missing something, because when I came in as a freshman I never heard of this.

Its ok. I'm over it. :)

But honestly, whenever I hear someone complaining about their 3.9 GPA it makes me want to complain about how I COULD HAVE scored a 42 on the MCAT if not for those stupid verbal sections.....
You're brilliant!

And I was teasing about the disappointment. :) Pathetically enough, I had been so obsessed with maintaining a perfect GPA that I cried when I lost it. :p But after a single evening of a Futurama Netflix binge and probably 3 appletinis to make myself feel better, I was over it. Then I wondered WTF was the big deal. >.< Ever since then, I roll my eyes at people who are similar to that past version of myself.

I'm most nervous about MMI! I like working in groups,I'm just afraid of being in ones where everyone will try to take over and be the leader.

And to stay on the topic of pre-meds, this may not be a funny things that misinformed pre-meds do, but is it just me or am I seeing more freshman coming in as bioengineering wanting to go to med school? Why is this a thing? I feel like I'm missing something, because when I came in as a freshman I never heard of this.
Well, the good news for you is that MMIs (at least the ones I have been to) are not group-based. They're usually several different stations where you have an 8-10 minute, one-on-one interaction with an interviewer (again, this is my experience only). However, there is really no way to prepare for them because they will probably not ask you the "typical" questions that are often heard in traditional interview settings - the exception to this is that they sometimes have one longer station (18-20 min) that is a more "traditional" interview. Just be yourself and make sure you are fairly well-versed in current medical ethics/topics, and you should be fine!

One of my "favorite" stories is from one of my former co-workers. A bit of background first: 0 clinical experience, 0 volunteering, 0 research, 0 shadowing, hasn't taken the MCAT yet, and has a 3.4 GPA (not a bad GPA, but clearly has nothing to supplement it with). Oh, also, he is the most arrogant person I have ever met, constantly talks down to you using big words like he has a thesaurus to his face, and SUCKS to work with in every way you can imagine.

Him: No, I don't really need that. I'm a very passionate person and I KNOW that will come through during interviews (automatically assuming he will get them). I think I am going to go to either Harvard or Johns Hopkins and then become a trauma surgeon.
Me: Whoah! Going big, huh? (obviously I know he is full of it at this point) Did you crush the MCAT or what?
Him: Nah, I haven't taken it yet. But, as you know (I wasn't even aware I knew!), I am one of the smartest people around - especially with all of the idiots that work here (we definitely do not work with idiots). I don't need to study for verbal because I read a lot, and I am very scientifically inclined.
Him: (huge grin) Yeah, it's too bad you couldn't get into the top schools, but I think you'll still become an adequate doctor.
Me: (laughing) Good luck, you're going to need it! - I left the room immediately after I said this, and, as I looked back, he had a very confused look on his face, like he was trying to crack a safe lol.

He quit shortly after we had this conversation, so I cannot be totally sure of the outcome of his application cycle, but I think it is safe to say that he is not going to Harvard :smack:

Woah, did we go to the same undergrad or something? Because I feel like I know this guy.

I shared a lot of classes with a particularly, eh...eccentric guy who was a genuinely nice person to myself and a lot of people, but liked to act as if he was a few steps above the rest of us, which won him few true friends.

Some gems:
  • He liked to bring up the number of scientific journals to which he was subscribed, and how many articles he had read that week outside of class.
  • He would bring copies of said journals to class, keep them on his desk, and occasionally flip through them during lectures.
  • He would argue with the professors, and continue to do so even after being proven wrong.
  • He would ask questions which were totally off-topic, for no other purpose than showing off some tidbit of his own knowledge. (Profs. quickly learned to ignore him and just move on).
  • He talked about med school as if he was a shoe-in, and how "med school really wasn't going to be that difficult for him."
  • He liked to tell us about how much he didn't study for a particular test, because the "material was just so easy."
  • He tutored Gen. Chem, and would be "aggravated" with how "dumb" the students he tutored were. I called him out on that one, because you never know a particular person's situation (a few of the students he tutored were adults coming back to school after many years away), and hey, no one makes it through life alone, no matter how smart you are (or perceive yourself to be).
  • Oh, and he occasionally wore a fedora to class.
Honestly though, I feel bad for him. I don't think he came from a very stellar background, and I don't believe he had much genuine self-esteem. I don't know where he is now, but I don't think he ever finished college. I hope though, he was able to find something which made him happy, because, beneath it all, he did have a genuine interest in science. I wish him the best.

Reactions: 11 users
I will preface this by saying this kid is the MOST arrogant premed I have ever met.

Me: I haven't seen you at the internship in a while, did you drop?
Him: I don't need clinical volunteering. I've been doing research for 2 years already (non-health related research).
Me: Oh (That's going to well work out for you)

Same kid
Me: When are you taking the MCAT?
Him: Last date in Jan, 1/23. I'm definitely going to get a 43 or a 44
Me: Shooting high I see. (Thinking inside do you know how the scale works? Have you ever even seen an MCAT?) This was in November before he even started studying
First week of Feb. This gem is bestowed upon me. I overhear him talking to a friend.
"Guess what I got on my MCAT.... 41 a little on the low side for me."
5 minutes later
Me: So you took the 1/23 exam? How did it go?
Him: I got my scores back today got a 41 a little below my target.
Me: Good job (Cringing super hard inside at the utter impossibility of his statement)

Definitely man you got your scores back before everyone else and before earlier test dates including mine. Right. Right. The kid is very intelligent. It's a shame he feels that he needs to lie.

I will never understand people that just go through college throwing white lies around all day long.

Reactions: 9 users
At the risk of going slightly off-topic, I used to think that fedoras were cool before I went to college since the only time I saw people wear them were on White Collar and Mad Men. I was originally going to buy one first semester, but after seeing the kinds of people who usually wore them on campus, my desire to own one was instantly gutted. Why do so many awkward arrogant people wear them?

I will preface this by saying this kid is the MOST arrogant premed I have ever met.

Me: I haven't seen you at the internship in a while, did you drop?
Him: I don't need clinical volunteering. I've been doing research for 2 years already (non-health related research).
Me: Oh (That's going to well work out for you)

Same kid
Me: When are you taking the MCAT?
Him: Last date in Jan, 1/23. I'm definitely going to get a 43 or a 44
Me: Shooting high I see. (Thinking inside do you know how the scale works? Have you ever even seen an MCAT?) This was in November before he even started studying
First week of Feb. This gem is bestowed upon me. I overhear him talking to a friend.
"Guess what I got on my MCAT.... 41 a little on the low side for me."
5 minutes later
Me: So you took the 1/23 exam? How did it go?
Him: I got my scores back today got a 41 a little below my target.
Me: Good job (Cringing super hard inside at the utter impossibility of his statement)

Definitely man you got your scores back before everyone else and before earlier test dates including mine. Right. Right. The kid is very intelligent. It's a shame he feels that he needs to lie.

I will never understand people that just go through college throwing white lies around all day long.
Yeah, I hear you. I think the majority of the time it's people subconsciously compensating for some kind of deficiency they possess but refuse to acknowledge, and I also think these deficiencies come to the surface more when presented with the competitive environment that is medical school admissions, especially if they don't function well in such environments to begin with. All you can really do is stay in your own lane and try not to let those people bother you, although I would be pretty irritated by someone making the outrageous claim you have described here (it is an outright lie). I also love the, "I don't need clinical volunteering," statement. Yes you do lol. You need clinical something.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I hear you. I think the majority of the time it's people subconsciously compensating for some kind of deficiency they possess but refuse to acknowledge, and I also think these deficiencies come to the surface more when presented with the competitive environment that is medical school admissions, especially if they don't function well in such environments to begin with. All you can really do is stay in your own lane and try not to let those people bother you, although I would be pretty irritated by someone making the outrageous claim you have described here (it is an outright lie). I also love the, "I don't need clinical volunteering," statement. Yes you do lol. You need clinical something.

Honestly, if I was not a semi-nontrad these people would get to me. It's clear that someone like this would rub interviewers the wrong way. Incessantly talking about your achievements without anyone asking is an awful personality trait to have. I just hope he gets some perspective before he applies. He's a very intelligent kid. I would hate to see someone's ego ruin all of their hard work. I would hate to see a stream of rejections be the event that triggers his humility.

I'm usually not one to get annoyed by things on the internet, but I just want to point out that not everyone who takes a post-bacc does so for gpa repair or because we are stupid. Some of us have had great grades and success in other careers before the medicine bug bit us. It drives me crazy every time someone gives me that "look" when I say I took a post-bacc. I (and most of the people in my post-bacc) had phenomenal grades in undergrad, we just didn't have all of the pre-reqs for med school.

edited to move quotation mark

I suppose she could be someone in your shoes, but I really really doubt that. I completely agree that there is nothing wrong about doing a post bacc, and I'll agree that reasons for underperforming in undergrad are plentiful and far from limited to ability and don't always capture one's actual potential. But like I originally stated, in the CONTEXT of the situation, it makes no sense to me, since by mere fact of being in a post bac (assuming the highly likely low undergrad performance), she would have the audacity to speak as such, considering her performance is/was not were it needs to be academically for medical schools at (some point in her life).

Either way you look at it, low performing or not, that is quite a subpar personality trait

Last edited:

Me: (laughing) Good luck, you're going to need it! - I left the room immediately after I said this, and, as I looked back, he had a very confused look on his face, like he was trying to crack a safe lol.

He quit shortly after we had this conversation, so I cannot be totally sure of the outcome of his application cycle, but I think it is safe to say that he is not going to Harvard :smack:
I don't know, I kind of feel bad for the person. I hope he figures his life soon, it's kind of sad to remain an actor all your life.

I don't know, I kind of feel bad for the person. I hope he figures his life soon, it's kind of sad to remain an actor all your life.

I know of a similar person, who literally HAS remained an actor all his life. He's one of the volunteer trainers I worked with when I was learning the ins and outs of volunteering at the ER. He's 50 years old, and still trying to get into med school. I think he'll be taking the MCAT for the fourth time or something.... He's applied several times and hasn't gotten in. There's such a thing as being non-traditional, but 50 is really pushing it. I don't know if he's delusional or what, but I feel really bad for him. He's been told by some of the attendings, who are not much older than him, to go for another career option, but he just won't listen. He's not even doing it for the right reasons...he's said how he wants the prestige and can't imagine being a nurse or any "lower" position because he doesn't want to be told what to do or to have people look down on him.

At first it was kind of humorous, but now thinking about it's just depressing! He keeps saying he'll just try applying again and again if he doesn't get in. Something about him is off to me.

I know I'm some sixty posts too late but to add to the cadaver lab discussion:

At the schools where I interviewed, they showed us their anatomy lab but all cadavers were covered. I don't see why applicants would need to see the cadavers themselves (they will not learn anatomy in two minutes during the tour and it is unethical to the cadaver) but it's important to see where they might be spending a huge chunk of their fist year in med school.
See, I think it's the bolded which is under debate. It may seem like a given to you, but it's just...not...to some people.
I agree that, given the whole situation is apparently a bit contentious, that particular setup seems a good compromise.
That doesn't mean I'll agree that it's unethical to have future doctors see the body of a person who agreed to have their dead body viewed by future doctors. :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know of a similar person, who literally HAS remained an actor all his life. He's one of the volunteer trainers I worked with when I was learning the ins and outs of volunteering at the ER. He's 50 years old, and still trying to get into med school. I think he'll be taking the MCAT for the fourth time or something.... He's applied several times and hasn't gotten in. There's such a thing as being non-traditional, but 50 is really pushing it. I don't know if he's delusional or what, but I feel really bad for him. He's been told by some of the attendings, who are not much older than him, to go for another career option, but he just won't listen. He's not even doing it for the right reasons...he's said how he wants the prestige and can't imagine being a nurse or any "lower" position because he doesn't want to be told what to do or to have people look down on him.

At first it was kind of humorous, but now thinking about it's just depressing! He keeps saying he'll just try applying again and again if he doesn't get in. Something about him is off to me.

Some people don't live on Earth.

One student I tutor is in his first year at university as a bio major and received 2 Bs last semester. He says "it's fine, I'll just do a post-bac to bring up my gpa after I graduate".

Last edited:
See, I think it's the bolded which is under debate. It may seem like a given to you, but it's just...not...to some people.
I agree that, given the whole situation is apparently a bit contentious, that particular setup seems a good compromise.
That doesn't mean I'll agree that it's unethical to have future doctors see the body of a person who agreed to have their dead body viewed by future doctors. :shrug:

I work for a hospice company whose position it is that HIPAA privacy laws do not apply after death. But I guess ethical versus legal are two different issues.

The way I see it is that those people donated their bodies so that future doctors can learn from them. An applicant touring the school is not learning anything from those bodies, and seeing the cadaver uncovered is not even going to help them decide whether to attend the school or not (it's enough to see the covered cadavers to make sure they exist, there is no smell in the lab, etc.). I don't know, maybe it's not such a big deal, given that interviewees are not completely random people, but I still gave the schools that covered their cadavers a few points in my head.

And now let me think of some funny "less informed premed" story to contribute to this thread..

Last edited:
One student I tutor is in his first year at university as a bio major and received 2 Bs last semester. He says "it's fine, I'll just do a post-bac to bring up my gpa after I graduate".

Lols.

That's a symptom of too much SDN. :p

I guess the "I'll apply until I'm 65" really does exist haha!

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, I used to think that fedoras were cool before I went to college since the only time I saw people wear them were on White Collar and Mad Men. I was originally going to buy one first semester, but after seeing the kinds of people who usually wore them on campus, my desire to own one was instantly gutted. Why do so many awkward arrogant people wear them?

Idk why, but it happened somewhere along the line after the 60's.

Fedora-What-you-think-you-look-like-570x303.jpg

Woah, did we go to the same undergrad or something? Because I feel like I know this guy.

I shared a lot of classes with a particularly, eh...eccentric guy who was a genuinely nice person to myself and a lot of people, but liked to act as if he was a few steps above the rest of us, which won him few true friends.
Honestly though, I feel bad for him. I don't think he came from a very stellar background, and I don't believe he had much genuine self-esteem. I don't know where he is now, but I don't think he ever finished college. I hope though, he was able to find something which made him happy, because, beneath it all, he did have a genuine interest in science. I wish him the best.

I am honestly kind of sad you didn't just start with the fedora. It tied everything together so well and would have made a better presentation if it had come first. Prior to that line he was just every annoying undergrad in the country. The fedora painted him as the best[worst] kind of annoying undergrad.

Not exactly pre-med related, but I still thought it was funny. (I should also say that I mess up words constantly, so this is not meant to be harsh/mean)

Girl in my class (who is pre-med): "I don't know Dis Karties theorem"
Professor: "...its Descartes. DAY-KARTs. Descartes"

Reactions: 6 users
Girl in class: "If I don't get into (state school), all of my backup schools are in CA, TX, and HI."

Me: I've read those are pretty competitive for OOS applicants, how did you decide on those?

Girl in class: Oh I just thought it would be nice to live there.

I know location is a factor, but come on. :smack:

Reactions: 11 users
I've been working as a tutor this year, and some of my students come for help on the MCAT verbal. One college kid I taught had a really intense helicoptor dad. His dad did EVERYTHING. Scheduled the meetings, drove him to the library for the tutoring sessions, etc. One day I asked what his application timeline was going to look like.

Me: So when are you planning on taking the MCAT and applying?
Student: August and then applying next cycle.
Me: ... If you take your MCAT in August, you won't even get the score back until September, and then you'll be very, very late. *draws out the whole timeline showing him why*
Student: Oh, I'll just apply next, next cycle then.
Me: O... kay. When do you graduate?
Student: *thinks about it for a while* I'm taking a couple of classes from [local city colleges], so undergrad will take 6 years? I'm going to graduate in 2018.
Me: *speechless*

Later I ask to speak to his dad, and I explain that even if he pushes back applying to the 2016-2017 cycle, he wouldn't even have a Bachelor's degree prior to med school matriculation and most schools require that.

His dad: Oh, that's okay. After he gets accepted, he can just defer for a year to finish his degree.
Me: ??????????
Me: I believe most schools require a completed BA/BS before the acceptance, and also not every school allows applicants to defer.
His dad: Well, I know UCSF does.

It was a trainwreck.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
I've been working as a tutor this year, and some of my students come for help on the MCAT verbal. One college kid I taught had a really intense helicoptor dad. His dad did EVERYTHING. Scheduled the meetings, drove him to the library for the tutoring sessions, etc. One day I asked what his application timeline was going to look like.

Me: So when are you planning on taking the MCAT and applying?
Student: August and then applying next cycle.
Me: ... If you take your MCAT in August, you won't even get the score back until September, and then you'll be very, very late. *draws out the whole timeline showing him why*
Student: Oh, I'll just apply next, next cycle then.
Me: O... kay. When do you graduate?
Student: *thinks about it for a while* I'm taking a couple of classes from [local city colleges], so undergrad will take 6 years? I'm going to graduate in 2018.
Me: *speechless*

Later I ask to speak to his dad, and I explain that even if he pushes back applying to the 2016-2017 cycle, he wouldn't even have a Bachelor's degree prior to med school matriculation and most schools require that.

His dad: Oh, that's okay. After he gets accepted, he can just defer for a year to finish his degree.
Me: ??????????
Me: I believe most schools require a completed BA/BS before the acceptance, and also not every school allows applicants to defer.
His dad: Well, I know UCSF does.

It was a trainwreck.

The kid doesn't seem to care whether he gets in or not. As for dad, he'll hopefully get over it.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe we can all agree with this, unless some of us are "less informed premeds" :naughty:

6152e3d0b66e2e5b82dab3064fcab067.jpg

But I'll be damned if they ask me to draw a cycloheptane. It gets real ugly after 6.

Reactions: 27 users
But I'll be damned if they ask me to draw a cycloheptane. It gets real ugly after 6.

LOL, I used to practice drawing cycloheptane molecules before exams just in case.

LOL, I used to practice drawing cycloheptane molecules before exams just in case.

Just redrew one for s.hits and giggles lol. I remember these, I hated them.

I would get oddly proud whenever I drew a really nice hexagon in my lab manual

On my first organic exam, we had to name a structure that looked strikingly similar to toluene, except it was a 7-membered ring. I caught it, but apparently it was one of the most frequently missed problems on the exam. My professor explicitly said afterwards: "Since when does a 7-membered ring get named as a benzene?" Pfff. As if he wasn't trying to trick us on purpose.

I believe we can all agree with this, unless some of us are "less informed premeds" :naughty:

6152e3d0b66e2e5b82dab3064fcab067.jpg

Lol. Based on my classes, I'd give the orange part a bigger portion of the pie and change it to "why? Because steric hindrance."

Reactions: 10 users
Lol. Based on my classes, I'd give the orange part a bigger portion of the pie and change it to "why? Because steric hindrance."

That was pretty much the go to answer in Physical Organic Chemistry.

Omg today on our test we had to draw a frost circle of cycloheptane... The point has to be down, but the printed structures were all point side up so I ended up turning another page upside down and tracing it through the paper.

Not exactly pre-med related, but I still thought it was funny. (I should also say that I mess up words constantly, so this is not meant to be harsh/mean)

Girl in my class (who is pre-med): "I don't know Dis Karties theorem"
Professor: "...its Descartes. DAY-KARTs. Descartes"
I always hear calculus 1 students refer to "the Hospital Rule."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule