Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't really apply to pre-med, but it's pretty funny so here it is. I was talking to my friend's cousin -- I was a sophomore at UCSD and she was applying for colleges in senior year of high school.

Me: So have you thought about what school you want to go to? Reaches, safeties, etc?
Her: Well I haven't decided which school I want to go to yet, but don't you think I should at least get into your school? (exact wording)
Me: Uh, good luck with that (she'd just moved from another country two years prior, so her English was... lacking. Plus her SAT score was 1500)

She ended up going to her local community college... and she's still there after 3 years lol.

Members don't see this ad.

i actually knew this guy back in high school who was pretty humble and ok as a person...that is, until he was accepted into a medical school and then transformed into a complete and utter dick;
he developed the biggest superiority complex any kid with nothing else going for him at that age can develop with a massive sense of entitlement.

small wonder, we stopped inviting him to things very quickly

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly Grad school?

No it probably wasn't grad school. That's not usual for a MS or MA program.

However, I do know people who've taken 25 and 26 credit hours in a semester at USF in the past. A friend of mine in residency did that years ago when he was in ugrad at USF. If you are diligent its possible. But its rough and not recommended.

No it probably wasn't grad school. That's not usual for a MS or MA program.

However, I do know people who've taken 25 and 26 credit hours in a semester at USF in the past. A friend of mine in residency did that years ago when he was in ugrad at USF. If you are diligent its possible. But its rough and not recommended.
I just can't imagine any school letting someone do 25 CR if they were also working. I have a hard time imaging most schools letting you register for 25 CR period-generally you have to fight tooth and nail to get over 18. Unless they meant to type 15 and missed?

So, we're sitting in genetics class and this kid raises his hand and says to the professor, "I'm having trouble understanding the lac operon: so, lactose is required to remove the repressor on the operator sequence, but permease is required to allow in lactose and permease is on the lac operon, then how does any lactose enter the cell to activate transcription of the genes that make permease in the first place?" lol what a tool!

Same kid:

Me: Hey, did you get your mcat score back yet?
Kid: Yeah! I just got it last week, I made a 32 I'm really happy!
Me: Oh that's good :laugh: So have you decided where you are going to apply yet?
Kid: I'm applying to the state schools and to a few private schools that I probably won't get into, but I think it is worth taking a shot. Also, just to be safe I'm thinking about applying to a few DO schools.

I had to walk away at this point to keep from literally loling at how little this premed knew. Also, I forgot to mention his GPA is somewhere around a 3.57, he actually made a B in organic II. :D

Reactions: 1 user
I just can't imagine any school letting someone do 25 CR if they were also working. I have a hard time imaging most schools letting you register for 25 CR period-generally you have to fight tooth and nail to get over 18. Unless they meant to type 15 and missed?
I think the poster was referring to what the courseload will be like in medical school. A couple people on this site have described it that way.

So, we're sitting in genetics class and this kid raises his hand and says to the professor, "I'm having trouble understanding the lac operon: so, lactose is required to remove the repressor on the operator sequence, but permease is required to allow in lactose and permease is on the lac operon, then how does any lactose enter the cell to activate transcription of the genes that make permease in the first place?" lol what a tool!

Same kid:

Me: Oh that's good :laugh: So have you decided where you are going to apply yet?
Kid: I'm applying to the state schools and to a few private schools that I probably won't get into, but I think it is worth taking a shot. Also, just to be safe I'm thinking about applying to a few DO schools.

I had to walk away at this point to keep from literally loling at how little this premed knew. Also, I forgot to mention his GPA is somewhere around a 3.57, he actually made a B in organic II. :D

...i'm confused

I think the poster was referring to what the courseload will be like in medical school. A couple people on this site have described it that way.

Yeah, that was my take on it as well, that the poster was currently working and talking about what he'll be doing in medical school. The med schools that have that info publicly available have about 25 credits/semester.

So the coworker commenting the he should klep out of some of the med school courses is pretty funny.

Same kid:

I think someone's ego is showing...

Am I missing something? It seems like he's going in the right direction. His GPA might be under the matriculant average of 3.6, but his MCAT is good. Plus he's also applying to some DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that was my take on it as well, that the poster was currently working and talking about what he'll be doing in medical school. The med schools that have that info publicly available have about 25 credits/semester.

So the coworker commenting the he should klep out of some of the med school courses is pretty funny.
And the light bulb just flipped on. OK, makes a LOT more sense now.

While sitting in Gen Chem II workshop there were a few other premeds talking. They were all struggling (routinely) on the opening concepts of the chapter and got onto the topic of med school and where to work after they had graduate:

#1: I want to work at a hospital that is a lot more like Scrubs not Grey's Anatomy.
#2: Ya me too.
#1: Now all I need is a white friend to have an inter-racial friendship. (half kidding half not)
#2: But you're already white...
#1: My mom is half Mexican. (he looks like any other skinny white kid, I just thought it was funny if he were to walk around talking about his inter-racial friendship if you would think they could be brothers)

Same kid:

:confused: Since when is a 32 a terrible score? 3.6 might not be the greatest GPA, but you can certainly still be accepted with that, especially to DO schools.

Hanging around SDN too much and seeing everyone's 35+ scores can brainwash you into thinking a 32 is a terrible score :scared:

:confused: Since when is a 32 a terrible score? 3.6 might not be the greatest GPA, but you can certainly still be accepted with that, especially to DO schools.

Same kid:

Same kid:

JOKES, EVERYBODY. Sarcasm, mockery, lulz, what have you. Seriously, some of you need to invest in a sarcasm detector.

Here's my weirdest story: My boyfriend's coworker (not a pre-med) decided to take the MCAT just to "see how he would do." Boyfriend was confused and thought his coworker meant a practice MCAT, but nope--he was taking the real thing at the testing center on my ugrad campus. He took the test and texted my BF right afterwards with something like "that didn't go so badly!" Two weeks later he traipsed into work bragging about getting a 35P. What's wrong with that picture?

Boyfriend and I did a little sleuthing on SDN and found out that the MCAT wasn't even offered on the day he supposedly took it, and even if he had magically taken it that day, there's no way he'd already have his score back.

If you're going to lie about something, why the hell would you make up some elaborate story about doing well on the MCAT when you're not even pre-med? Lie about something awesome, like owning an elephant or winning the lotto.

Sounds like the bartender at Red Lobster the other night who overheard my conversation and jumped in:
Him: So what are you gonna do with your college degree
Me: I really want to go to medical school
Him: Ohh **** what did you get on your MCAT
Me: i did just fine (thinking to myself: not another one of these guys)
Him: Well i got a 36
Me: good score man, good job :)thumbup:). (Thinking to myself, if I would have told him any score, he would have just been like +2, and this is mine)
Him: Yeah but I dont want to go to medical school
Me: ....Why not
Him: Well im 32, so im just gonna go to nursing school
Me: :thumbup:.
Him: Yeah I should start somtime this next year.
Me: :thumbup:

I didnt want to call him out on his bull**** cuz im pretty sure he was high on cocaine.

Also, I think the best pre-med quote ive herd is after someone went through the 5 things you need to get into medical school:
"Wait, so i need medical exposure b4 i go to medical school????"

Just thought I'd share a story about an experience I had a while ago. Probably my initiation to the world of pre-med *****baggery.

I was doing one of those young kids' science outreach programs at MIT. For three days they had grad students show us cool labs and we did dissections - it was actually really awesome, and I wish I could be in middle school and do it again.

So basically we're all sitting there before a brain dissection and the grad students ask everyone to go around with their name and what they want to be when they grow up. A bunch of kids said they wanted to be microbiologists, or neuroscientists - typical. But then comes this gem. "I'm so and so, I'm in the 7th grade, and I want to be either a doctor or a lawyer," in this annoying whiny voice. The kids were all like :scared: and the grad students are like :roflcopter: "those are high paying jobs you're looking at there..."

Seriously, kid. Way to go. :confused:

Either I missed something or you're calling out a 7th grader

Just thought I'd share a story about an experience I had a while ago. Probably my initiation to the world of pre-med *****baggery.

I was doing one of those young kids' science outreach programs at MIT. For three days they had grad students show us cool labs and we did dissections - it was actually really awesome, and I wish I could be in middle school and do it again.

So basically we're all sitting there before a brain dissection and the grad students ask everyone to go around with their name and what they want to be when they grow up. A bunch of kids said they wanted to be microbiologists, or neuroscientists - typical. But then comes this gem. "I'm so and so, I'm in the 7th grade, and I want to be either a doctor or a lawyer," in this annoying whiny voice. The kids were all like :scared: and the grad students are like :roflcopter: "those are high paying jobs you're looking at there..."

LOL what an idiot. I bet some of those grad students were premed at some point before they bombed the mcat or realized they were too stupid for med school. I wonder if they all rallied around that annoying little brat afterward and took turns kicking him, because that is what I would like to do.

:laugh: This thread is my new favorite, and it's not because of all the funny pre-med stories.

If you're saying my sarcasm detector's broken it's not. I've just got one of the high end ones that let's incredibly lame "jokes" pass right on by

My Pre-med former roommate (second semester freshman year): How were your grades last semester?
Me: Not bad, but I still need to some work. My GPA is 3.5
Her: Thats amazing! Much better then mine!
Me: How did you do then?
Her: Ummm not well a couple c's and d's, but thats not important. Medical schools never look at your freshman year grades
Me: o_O but what about the Bio Prereqs we took?
Her: Not important.

• Haha
Oh my favorite pre-med of them all:

We were sitting out waiting for a class to start and someone was talking about how they have to poke behind the eyes of hamsters or something for research...

Her: This is why I want to be a doctor and could never be a vet because its so sad when innocent animals are hurt. But people, you see, do bad things all the time. I don't care if they're hurt because they probably deserve it.
Me: ....wut?

Another time talking about personal statements:

Me: I'm having a hard time writing my PS
Her: What? How could it be hard? All you have to do is brag about how great you are.
Me: Yeah..........

• Haha
back in high school I was tutoring this girl in Calc and she mentioned how she wants to be premed I was like okay I'll bit me too:

her: Yeah it's going to be so much fun in med school.
me: I'm worried about getting there.
her: Should be easy, you only need a good GPA.
me:...only:confused:
her: Yeah, and I have a good GPA here and don't study I should be fine.
me: College is harder, plus I'm tutoring you.
her: You don't need math to be a doctor, and not that much harder people party all the time.
me: :smack: Oh of course.

Orientation:

me: So what are all of you majoring in?
Some guy: pre-med.
me: Right, but what's your major?
some guy: I told you: pre-med

library:

random girl: So I'm going to be an ortho surgeon.
Me: good luck, that should be fun. I personally couldn't handle the long hours, plus I hear the residency is hell.
Random girl: what's residency?

• Haha

I don't understand how it's typical for 7th graders to want to be microbiologists or neuroscientists. Maybe I come from a town of incredibly stupid people but I'm pretty sure that when I was in 7th grade the majority of my grade wouldn't have known what either were. However, I do think it's quite typical for a 7th grader to want to be a doctor or lawyer without :scared: this type of reaction..

ignore this if that post was supposed to be a joke.

Is this becoming common? I've seen this multiple times on this thread now.

Several people in the major's organic chemistry lab wore lab coats, including me on occasion. Specifically, on the occasions of the lab using hot sulfuric acid, and again for my final project, which involved a liter of chloroform. (We definitively rejected microscale!)

There was also this guy who wore a long physician-type lab coat all the time though, even just walking around on campus. Tool.

I was on an interview at an unnamed MD school and they brought us in a MS4 to sell us on the school. There she told us that a selling point for this college was "so much time in the hospital in the third and fourth years," clearly not recognizing that every single school in the nation spends all their time in the 3rd and the vast majority of the 4th year in the hospital. It was absolutely stunning and pretty much made me immediately not want to go there.

Actually that's not such a dumb remark...she could have been talking about doing inpatient vs. doing outpatient rotations.

Inpatient rotations at hospitals are often looked at more favorably for certain residencies (psych, IM, EM, etc.) than outpatient ones.

Some schools tend to be more outpatient-heavy than inpatient heavy in their clinical opportunities (i too did not know this until becoming a med student)

A girl I know who graduated last year with a B.A in Business who I haven't talked to in over a year sends me a series of text messages.

Her: Is Micro hard?
Me: Hey? I haven't talked you in like a year....... It's not easy, but it's like any class, as long as you do your work you'd do fine. Why? Do you know someone taking it?

Her: I'm going to back to school and I need to take it so I was curious.
Me: You need to take Micro? I thought you graduated with a business degree?

Her: Well I actually need to take a few more classes, but they are suppose to be easier.
Me: What classes would you be taking that go with micro?

Her (I kid you not): Nothing crazy, bio 1 + 2, chem and orgo 1 + 2, phys 1+2, anatomy, and physio.
Me: wtf? You serious?

Her: Yeah, I'm just going to go to med school, I can't find a decent job.
Me: That's cool I guess, I'm sure you could do it if you really took the time, you should probably volunteer/shadow in at xxx hospital to see what you think. When would you want to start, 2013, 2014?

Her (I'm dead serious): Noooo lol, not that late, i'll just go in 2012.
Me: You know the application cycles open a year early and you need to have a majority of the prereqs done with an MCAT, and a commitment to medicine right?

Her: lol no I asked my dad, he told me it shouldn't be a problem to apply in spring 2012 to get in for fall 2012.
Me: Um, I'm not so sure about that, and you need to have prereqs done before you apply.

Her: Idk that's stupid how do they expect people to apply then?
Me: People usually take 3 years and really think it through first.

Her: Wow, you're a killjoy, thanks a lot.

Has not said a word to me since. Yes, this is a true story from a month ago.

owned

yeah true. and the time this kid did it, it was only 1 semester.

Oh my favorite pre-med of them all:

We were sitting out waiting for a class to start and someone was talking about how they have to poke behind the eyes of hamsters or something for research...

Her: This is why I want to be a doctor and could never be a vet because its so sad when innocent animals are hurt. But people, you see, do bad things all the time. I don't care if they're hurt because they probably deserve it.
Me: ....wut?

Another time talking about personal statements:

Me: I'm having a hard time writing my PSHer: What? How could it be hard? All you have to do is brag about how great you are.
Me: Yeah..........

With regards to bolded, just wanted to say once again to you your essay is one I will remember for a long time and you have nothing to worry about. It is probably the one that stands out most to me. :).

Good luck in the coming year. I'm sure you will get many acceptances.

Seriously? 25 credits per semester? Plus working? Where did you even find a school that would allow you to do something that insane?

No, I will take 25 credits this fall when school starts. I won't be working; I am right now but will be quitting to move and start school.

In the middle of a "Why didn't I get into med school?" session...

Rejected 40+ MCAT Guy: [totally serious] Wait... People get 10s on the MCAT?! (Rejected again the following year)

Truly Devoted: [right after the program admin explaining that the school is looking for evidence of devotion to medicine, not to their school] So if I ONLY apply to your school and tell you that, will I have a better chance at getting in?
Moderator: I don't think you heard what I just said....

In the middle of a "Why didn't I get into med school?" session...

Rejected 40+ MCAT Guy: [totally serious] Wait... People get 10s on the MCAT?! (Rejected again the following year)

Truly Devoted: [right after the program admin explaining that the school is looking for evidence of devotion to medicine, not to their school] So if I ONLY apply to your school and tell you that, will I have a better chance at getting in?
Moderator: I don't think you heard what I just said....
Predicted VR Score: 5

There was his one kid back in highschool in my art class who had pretty much straight C's in his classes and basically didnt give a **** about anything. The teacher started talking to him about how he was on the verge of failing art, and this was pretty much one of those you turn stuff in and you get an A type classes. After she was done yelling at him I started talking to him.

Me: So what do you want to do with your life?
Him: "I'm planning on going to med school"
Me: "You know you need good grades to get into med school"
Him: "Im planning on going to community college for 2 years, maintaining above a 3.0 then transferring"
Me: ...Good luck with that.

Same kid had to get surgery done and had no idea what it was for. I spotted a pterygium in his eye and asked him if it was for that, and he was just like idk. How do you get surgery done and have no idea what its for...

Second kid, also back in highschool

Her: I hear that going abroad is a pretty good deal. You finish in 5 years, you get a better education, and its the same thing as getting an MD except shorter
Me: Yeah, but you wont get matched anywhere.
[proceed to explain what matched is after she didnt know about residency]
Her: Yeah, but education abroad is viewed as MORE prestigious than an MD and people know that its tougher, so i doubt thats true.

I got tired of arguing at that point and just gave up.

Grad students making fun of people?

[YOUTUBE]XViCOAu6UC0[/YOUTUBE]

Same kid:

This post, and the fact that you typed "loling", make you the biggest douche bag I've never met. I wish I knew you so I could have one of my big friends flick you in the head.

Should I be surprised that this thread is mostly full of douchey comments? The whole premise is basically "Let's show how much we know about medical school admissions and being doctors vs. other premeds and laugh at them!"

This post, and the fact that you typed "loling", make you the biggest douche bag I've never met. I wish I knew you so I could have one of my big friends flick you in the head.

That reminds me....I knew this guy when we were in undergrad who really wanted to get into med school. Anyway he was trying for an A in orgo...but only got a B
Plus. He was a little disappointed, but decided that for the next semester he was going to really buckle down, hit the books, and go to the bars less. LOL WHAT A DOUCHE.

Should I be surprised that this thread is mostly full of douchey comments? The whole premise is basically "Let's show how much we know about medical school admissions and being doctors vs. other premeds and laugh at them!"

I love the word 'douchey.' I'm going to use it, and I'm not going to cite you as my source.

I love the word 'douchey.' I'm going to use it, and I'm not going to cite you as my source.
May I forward as epithets, douchecanoe, douchenozzle, douchenugget, and douchenator?

Agreed. Some of these are pretty funny, other ones (and not the joke ones) just make us come off as really douchey.

Status
Not open for further replies.