Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's usually everyone's response when I tell them I'm not going straight to med school (So you had a bad GPA?)... I graduated with a 3.99 cGPA / 4.00 sGPA... :mad:

So what was the one class you got a B in?

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: ... actually I got an A- in two classes: a neuroscience class and a writing class.

Sadly there are so many people who think the loss of 1 or 2 years of a doctors salary are going to make all the difference in the world when that is not the case. What's worse is these kids are often the kids of parents who think you have to live life on this strict time line and if you don't you are a failure in life. i see this with indians and asians especially who think that there is a strict timeline by which you have to finish education, get married, and ahve kids. Its quite sad to say the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly there are so many people who think the loss of 1 or 2 years of a doctors salary are going to make all the difference in the world when that is not the case. What's worse is these kids are often the kids of parents who think you have to live life on this strict time line and if you don't you are a failure in life. i see this with indians and asians especially who think that there is a strict timeline by which you have to finish education, get married, and ahve kids. Its quite sad to say the least.
So true! I see classmates with this kind of pressure. It makes me happy that to my parents are like "Oh, look - she's breathing, we are so proud of her!"

Reactions: 1 users
Should I be surprised that this thread is mostly full of douchey comments? The whole premise is basically "Let's show how much we know about medical school admissions and being doctors vs. other premeds and laugh at them!"

We have to do something to take a break from looking at all the students we suspect are better than us and freaking out.

As much as everyone is free to smugly amuse themselves with how much more they know than some of their peers, we are equally free to point out that this thread lacks a basic level of humility and respect that I had assumed most individuals possessed or valued. Jokes are jokes, but making jokes at others' expense isn't always that amusing...is that really surprising?

I feel like this thread is intended to be more lighthearted than it's appearing.

I feel like this thread is intended to be more lighthearted than it's appearing.

Alright I got a good story.

I went to a school in SC for undergrad, Emory is one of the closer "prestigious" schools. I was playing pool one day with this kid who goes to my school but was transferring to Emory because their cardiology program is one of the best and if he gets into the undergrad he is a guaranteed a spot in the cardiology program.

In addition to this, he mentioned he was double majoring in Bio and Business, but he planned on finishing his Business major during med school because he wasn't in a rush.

Ok so apart from the fact that he forgot about the whole med school before residency thing, he's also overweight, smokes, and drinks excessively... and wants to be a CARDIOLOGIST. lol

I'm not trying to talk **** about the kid because he's cool and whatever but he was very cocky about the whole thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Alright I got a good story.

I went to a school in SC for undergrad, Emory is one of the closer "prestigious" schools. I was playing pool one day with this kid who goes to my school but was transferring to Emory because their cardiology program is one of the best and if he gets into the undergrad he is a guaranteed a spot in the cardiology program.

In addition to this, he mentioned he was double majoring in Bio and Business, but he planned on finishing his Business major during med school because he wasn't in a rush.

Ok so apart from the fact that he forgot about the whole med school before residency thing, he's also overweight, smokes, and drinks excessively... and wants to be a CARDIOLOGIST. lol

I'm not trying to talk **** about the kid because he's cool and whatever but he was very cocky about the whole thing.

I'm not so sure cocky is the right word. I'd say uninformed is more like it.

Ok so apart from the fact that he forgot about the whole med school before residency thing, he's also overweight, smokes, and drinks excessively... and wants to be a CARDIOLOGIST. lol.

That sounds spot on for a lot of cardiologists that I know, surprisingly.

fellow guju here..ya there are a lot of ppl like that and its really annoying..im doing well and i have the stats to get in to a good school straight out.
my parents are pushing me to take 2 years off though probably not wut u would expect from guju parents
i only want to take 1 year off to learn 2 languages (one of which is spanish, the other one, i think u know my fellow guju ;)) and i want to get into REALLY GOOD physical shape..these are things u CANNOT do in med school, most certainly cannot do in residency and will find very very hard to do once u get a job..most premeds are very narrow-minded..
there are a lot of indians who are doctors, and these parents must know that 1 year really isn't a big deal..yet when searching for a spouse for their kid they all of a sudden place so much importance on adhering to the strict timeline...life is weird:(

fellow guju here..ya there are a lot of ppl like that and its really annoying..im doing well and i have the stats to get in to a good school straight out.
my parents are pushing me to take 2 years off though probably not wut u would expect from guju parents
i only want to take 1 year off to learn 2 languages (one of which is spanish, the other one, i think u know my fellow guju ;)) and i want to get into REALLY GOOD physical shape..these are things u CANNOT do in med school, most certainly cannot do in residency and will find very very hard to do once u get a job..most premeds are very narrow-minded..
there are a lot of indians who are doctors, and these parents must know that 1 year really isn't a big deal..yet when searching for a spouse for their kid they all of a sudden place so much importance on adhering to the strict timeline...life is weird:(

yeah I agree with this post fully. I'm glad ur parents are not pushing u to live ur life on a strict time table. i did meet a couple of telugu south indians whose parents were also not that uber pushy and it was a refreshing change fromt he doom and gloom that u see with a lot of desi and asian families.

yeah I agree with this post fully. I'm glad ur parents are not pushing u to live ur life on a strict time table. i did meet a couple of telugu south indians whose parents were also not that uber pushy and it was a refreshing change fromt he doom and gloom that u see with a lot of desi and asian families.

at the same time, my parents want me to take 2 years off which i think is too much..my parents told me to drop out of college and start some medical buisness..Although I am glad my parents are not on the strict time table, they push for medical buisness way tooo much and they push for doing medical buisness just as much as some asian parents push for academics :mad:

Good that u met those ppl..gives me some hope lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not so sure cocky is the right word. I'd say uninformed is more like it.

He was cocky about how he said things. Like bragging basically about something you haven't done yet and are very misinformed about. I didn't mention I was premed at all or that I had been accepted because at that point I would have had to explain an entire process which could easily be googled.

What I heard wasn't necessarily an uninformed statement, but just a stupid statement that made this pre-med look so full of b.s.

Early on in the semester: "Yeah, man I got a perfect 4.0 all throughout undergrad."

Later on in the semester: "I'll be going to med school in the Caribbean."

What a liar about his "4.0". :laugh: I love it when people don't keep track of their lies.

What I heard wasn't necessarily an uninformed statement, but just a stupid statement that made this pre-med look so full of b.s.

Early on in the semester: "Yeah, man I got a perfect 4.0 all throughout undergrad."

Later on in the semester: "I'll be going to med school in the Caribbean."

What a liar about his "4.0". :laugh: I love it when people don't keep track of their lies.

Could be an MCAT score...

Could be an MCAT score...

I doubt someone with a 4.0 does that bad on the MCAT. I mean even with a mid 20s score you could go DO with a 4.0, heck even MDs if you have a strong enough app.

Got another one; it's pretty similar but had to share (parents didn't appreciated, but DH did).
I was at a book store skimming the anatomy books and contemplating getting a coloring book.
A girl a little older than me comes in, looking frantic, and starts thumbing through books.
Me: "Oh, are you a medical student?"
Her: "Yeah!"
At first I got really excited; there's three med schools in a 60 mi radius or so, but I figured maybe I'd just met a fellow first year. Who else would waste their money on an anatomy book?
Me: "Oh, cool! Where at?"
Her: "Such and Such Technical college. I'm majoring in phlebotomy, and I just failed anatomy and phys."
I was so dissapointed. And it took me by surprise, so I just wished her good luck.

I doubt someone with a 4.0 does that bad on the MCAT. I mean even with a mid 20s score you could go DO with a 4.0, heck even MDs if you have a strong enough app.

I've known people with 4.0s to get 18s and 19s on their MCAT. No joke. But they got into island and DO schools and made it into residency so its not as big a deal now.

Last edited:
He was cocky about how he said things. Like bragging basically about something you haven't done yet and are very misinformed about. I didn't mention I was premed at all or that I had been accepted because at that point I would have had to explain an entire process which could easily be googled.

Ah I see. :laugh: Yeah it is amazing how the process is so easily to figure out if u do your own research but so many people I know look at me like whoa how do I know so much. yet, I always feel like saying if you'd stop acting like a helpless, lazy premed you would now how. I never say it but it is what i feel like saying. It amazes me how many are so ill informed of the process to med school.

When I tell my undereducated relatives that I'm working and planning on going to med school (take note, I will be the first person on that side of the family to attend college, much less anything past those first four years) they ask me to cure all the congenital diseases they collectively have. So far I'm scheduled to cure cancer, huntington's, cystic fibrosis, and diabetes. :smack:

I'm in a similar situation. I'm the first in my family to pursue anything beyond undergrad, and I am often referred to as a doctor and asked to diagnose rashes or a cough or various pains. It's amazing to me no matter how many times I tell them that I am not even close to being a doctor yet and the only medical advise (other than first aid) they will get from me is "GO SEE A REAL DOCTOR!"

Ah yes, and I am slated to cure Rheumatoid Arthritis. Good luck to you in your respective fields, sir or madame. :laugh:

LOL what an idiot. I bet some of those grad students were premed at some point before they bombed the mcat or realized they were too stupid for med school. I wonder if they all rallied around that annoying little brat afterward and took turns kicking him, because that is what I would like to do.
Because med school acceptances means that you're smart and grad students aren't...maybe they're just the same obtuse people as those mentioned in this thread...

And the obsessiveness over grades and numbers...someone might have done better than you on paper, but you can still turn out to be a better person and doctor than them. that 4.0 gpa with a 20 mcat just means they worked their tail off. who knows how they'll fare as a doctor? there is such thing as a great doctor...

Because med school acceptances means that you're smart and grad students aren't...maybe they're just the same obtuse people as those mentioned in this thread...

And the obsessiveness over grades and numbers...someone might have done better than you on paper, but you can still turn out to be a better person and doctor than them. that 4.0 gpa with a 20 mcat just means they worked their tail off. who knows how they'll fare as a doctor? there is such thing as a great doctor...

I think premeds think everyone except premeds isn't smart.

Great doctors usually "work their tail off." Lazy people don't make great doctors.

And a 20 MCAT won't get you into many med schools.

"[There's a school called] Case Western Reserve? I think you're making it up."

I get this all the time. Most people just think it's just another community college :rolleyes:

I'm also guju. And i COMPLETELY agree with this. What's even worse is the MD vs. DO debate. Apparently in india DOs are the "substitute doctors" haha

Me: how did your mcat turn out?
Fellow Student: ohhhh well low 20's..
Me: Yikes, are you going to retake it?
Fellow Student: yea I will retake it in September
(smacks head, why do that...)
Me: where are you applying?
Fellow Student: (lists plethora of MD schools) and XYZ DO school
Me: Oh I hear it is like 70k a year to go to that DO school?
Fellow Student: I am not too concerned about money, I figure I will find a successful man and he will marry me and he can work hard and pay off my debts.
Me: (smack my head again)

• Haha
premed student: taking the MCAT over break
me: yeah, how is the studying going?
premed: Oh, I haven't been studying, made a good grade in A&P though, so I'm not worried.
me: good luck

Back in April . . .

Me: So when are you taking the MCAT?
Friend: In May, but I'm thinking I'll take it again in August
Me: Why are you already planning on taking it a second time?
Friend: I want to take it once as practice
Me: Isn't that what practice tests are for?
Friend: I guess, but I haven't been studying too seriously for it this time
Me: *doesn't know what to say*

We had an info session on Duke Med at my school last year. The head adcom member told us to know what each institution prides itself on, because she was once asked if it is possible to do research at Duke.

At an interview a couple weeks ago....
Everyone was looking through their folders to see who their interviewers were. One guy asked one of the interview day organizers this question:

"What does PhD mean?" (referring to one of his interviewers' name)

a douchebag named medicalmuscle thought that the skele's gland is in females and the prostate gland is in males...

what a douchebag!!!

At an interview a couple weeks ago....
Everyone was looking through their folders to see who their interviewers were. One guy asked one of the interview day organizers this question:

"What does PhD mean?" (referring to one of his interviewers' name)

to be fair, it's not intuitive

Ah yes, and I am slated to cure Rheumatoid Arthritis. Good luck to you in your respective fields, sir or madame. :laugh:

When I tell family I want to be a neurologist, and I explain to them that it's a "brain doctor", it never fails that I get "Well maybe you can find a cure for whatevers wrong with me!" :rolleyes:

The pre med woman at my undergrad kept calling the MCAT the Mat-CAT during a presentation for pre meds. She also asked me what PCOM, NYCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM stood for so she wouldn't have to decipher them when I asked her to send out the letters to my DO schools.

"I'm going to take my MCAT in September and submit my primary on the day of the deadline." :eek:

"I'm going to take my MCAT in September and submit my primary on the day of the deadline." :eek:

:confused:

I don't really have many quotes, I associated with the "successful" pre-meds who knew what they were talking about for the most part, just a couple people who put on their Facebook "Radiology" or "Orthopaedic Surgeon" for the major in undergrad...

Or I remember the girl in my high school who came around telling everyone to join the Army because (I'm paraphrasing, it was about 6 years ago, I just remember calling her on her BS cuz it was foul):

"[The Army] can train me to be a doctor in 6 weeks. Going to school for 8 years is dumb, would you rather spend 6 weeks or 8 years learning medicine? Then when I finish the Army I'll be a doctor and make $XXX,XXX while most people are still in school"

• Haha

I don't really have many quotes, I associated with the "successful" pre-meds who knew what they were talking about for the most part, just a couple people who put on their Facebook "Radiology" or "Orthopaedic Surgeon" for the major in undergrad...

Or I remember the girl in my high school who came around telling everyone to join the Army because (I'm paraphrasing, it was about 6 years ago, I just remember calling her on her BS cuz it was foul):

"[The Army] can train me to be a doctor in 6 weeks. Going to school for 8 years is dumb, would you rather spend 6 weeks or 8 years learning medicine? Then when I finish the Army I'll be a doctor and make $XXX,XXX while most people are still in school"

:bang:

I know what you mean...

344oyac.jpg

Me:- Hey so what are you doing now a days?
Friend:- Oh I was going into accounting but I think I'm going to try to become a doctor
Me:- Oh nice have you taken any pre-reqs like Physics 1, 2, Gen chem 1, 2 , Organic chem 1, 2 or any Biology classes?
Friend:- Nah but I took the diagnostic and the MCAT was pretty easy
Me:- :wtf: how did you do?
Friend:- Oh I scored a 40
Me:- :wtf: what was your score on the sections?
Friend:- I got a 10 in each section
Me:- Oh nice! damn I didn't think people could score a 10 on the writing section that's really good!!!
Friend:- Yeah it was an essay about the life of Gandhi and I have a pretty strong history background.
Me:- LOL ok well I have to go but good luck with med school and oh by the way let me know how you do on the writing section on the real exam I'm sure you will score a 10 or higher peace
Friend:- Okay bye good luck with med school!

here's one...

I just don't really get the point. You get paid nothing DURING the four years of medical school, but suddenly when you do start getting paid something, it isn't enough? If everything is relative like you (I believe) said, wouldn't that 50K look like a small fortune after spending 4 years living on loans? I'm sure there are MS3 and MS4's living on ramen noodles who would gladly trade places with you...

Status
Not open for further replies.