Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. Although your article is about CNA's and yes hospitals should bring about this machinery to help move patients.

Read it again.

Members don't see this ad.

-Not my list, just a quick google search.
-These are valid complaints, I want a belch, a mcburger w/ a dolla menu fries and a mcblizzard stat. All while the radio is on to golden oldies at max volume. They drive up and forget their order. Or the whole you're beneath me, I'm going to speak on my cellphone and expect your above and beyond service.
-Serving fries is not the same as going the extra mile to save a life. Furthermore, those people typically are a lot nicer to you and don't act as if they own you... they treat you as an actual human being.
-The only thing in common with fast food and healthcare is the insufferable people. Nothing else. Getting chewed out is not humbling, or even a worthwhile experience.
-I'm the nicest person to my coworkers ever. Literally new people love training with me, why because I'm younger, more relatable, and oh I don't force feed them anything I just teach them the job and when I fix I mistake I usually say something like I did that myself when I first started (white lies)... From what I hear fast food is mostly getting yelled at by middle aged middle management. (In other words while a hospital worker, such as me, goes out of their way to be nice, a mcboss does not) Just offering my personal take on something, not saying I'm smarter (I've been more than humble).
The bolded, wow...sooo, you actually have no idea, not having experienced it?
As for the rest, I actually cannot tell what you are trying to say in most sentences because you've used phrases such as 'those people' as if that differentiates between the two.

The last point I find hard to believe...I mean, come on, you can't even type out the sentence "I did that myself when I first started" on an anonymous internet forum without making sure that everyone knows that you were too good to actually make any such error. You have not been more than humble, and the fact that you think you have makes it even funnier to hear you speak as if you come across as this genuine, caring, nice, humble person to all of your coworkers.

Reactions: 1 users
The bolded, wow...sooo, you actually have no idea, not having experienced it?
As for the rest, I actually cannot tell what you are trying to say in most sentences because you've used phrases such as 'those people' as if that differentiates between the two.

The last point I find hard to believe...I mean, come on, you can't even type out the sentence "I did that myself when I first started" on an anonymous internet forum without making sure that everyone knows that you were too good to actually make any such error. You have not been more than humble, and the fact that you think you have makes it even funnier to hear you speak as if you come across as this genuine, caring, nice, humble person to all of your coworkers.

Okay, my point is I'm willing to bring myself down to help a coworker out. When a issue arises I don't lay blame, if I have to I take the blame myself, I tell them it'll be okay, I speak with the boss if need be and don't just burn the newbie (Don't know how many times I said it was a mistake but I should have left them alone like that), etc.

And I can only make so many mistakes, what am I supposed to say after a large number of errors? I mix it up (no big deal, don't worry about it, it happens, I did it myself, should've seen me when I first started, it seems you got a little overworked and forgot, hey no biggie, so forth). It doesn't have to be true.

I've worked a retail job or two (Target both times and I've heard how bad Wal-Mart is. I respect Target).... but no never fast food or cashier (more than randomly helping out).

Considering the context it's not that hard to figure out what I've posted. I'll edit after the next few class's if need be.

Members don't see this ad :)
This wasn't from premeds, but I heard about 7 medical students all agree that MCAT scores are graded on a curve based upon on the day you take it. Which would mean that if you take it on the same day as a bunch of smart people your score will be lower. Enormously false, and now all the pre-meds (about 200) they were talking to will think that their bad score was because they took their test on the wrong day lol.

Correct me if i'm wrong (thankfully i've forgotten a lot about MCAT scoring), but I think the raw score (questions answered correctly) to scaled score (1-15) conversion is made before the exam, based on the difficulty of the questions randomly assigned to each section? Then the percentiles are based on how everyone else scored?

Their is literally a graph that separates nursing assistants from registered nurses.
Nurses are included and should be treated better, but the main point of the article is nursing assistants.

You said it was about CNA's. It's not. You looked at one graph and acted like you knew the entire article. You were wrong. Good job.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if i'm wrong (thankfully i've forgotten a lot about MCAT scoring), but I think the raw score (questions answered correctly) to scaled score (1-15) conversion is made before the exam, based on the difficulty of the questions randomly assigned to each section? Then the percentiles are based on how everyone else scored?
Right, but it's not dependent on how others did on your specific test day. The scores are scaled (conversion calculated ahead of time using data from many sittings) rather than curved (conversion calculated after the fact, forcing everyone from that one test day to fit a certain distribution).

It's a subtle difference, but important in the context it was placed in above!

Reactions: 3 users
You said it was about CNA's. It's not. You looked at one graph and acted like you knew the entire article. You were wrong. Good job.
-Nursing assistants and orderlies each suffer roughly three times the rate of back and other musculoskeletal injuries as construction laborers.

-In terms of sheer number of these injuries, BLS data show that nursing assistants are injured more than any other occupation, followed by warehouse workers, truckers, stock clerks and registered nurses.

-Oh and the continued use of "nursing staff"
Leap ahead to the early 1990s: Federal researchers at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) started studying why so many nursing staff were hurting their backs. They were stunned by what they learned.

The article includes nurses but draws most of its' data from cna's.

I love this thread. It has survived so much drama over its 116 pages. So many stories of under-inf0rmed pre-meds being reported by those who have overheard them.

(...blah, blah, blah...)

And now, the thread is amply graced with an under-informed pre-med coming here to address us directly. Speak on, gentle Spirit. Tell us more about how the world really works, you who know so much about it. Tell me more about what motivates nurses and how the only ones who work in nursing homes are the ones looking for opportunities to abuse. Tell us more about how you tell white lies so that others don't have to be too intimidated by your superiority.

Just remember, sometimes the story speaks more of its teller than of the tale.

EDIT: I don't always speak as my better self. I am indulging in a touch of open ridicule, and that is perhaps unwise and unkind. But the more you speak, the more I understand how you came to such an opinion about nurses. If you behave toward them generally as you speak about them here, I can see how they could eventually lose their composure and give into the temptation to school you.

Reactions: 10 users
I love this thread. It has survived so much drama over its 116 pages. So many stories of under-informed pre-meds being reported by those who have overheard them.

And now, the thread is amply graced with an under-informed pre-med coming here to address us directly. Speak on, gentle Spirit:cool:. Tell us more about how the world really works, you who know so much about it. Tell me more about what motivates nurses and how the only ones who work in nursing homes are the ones looking for opportunities to abuse:laugh:. Tell us more about how you tell white lies so that others don't have to be too intimidated by your superiority;).

Just remember, sometimes the story speaks more of its teller than of the tale:rofl:.

Nope, you took a simple statement and blew it out of proportion.

The end:)

Nope, you took a simple statement and blew it out of proportion.

The end:)
Which simple statement? Because you've now said that to multiple people, regarding multiple posts. From where I'm sitting, it seems like you're getting told, repeatedly, that the attitude throughout all of these recent posts has been annoying, yet you keep pretending it's all some big misunderstanding of one person and one statement. One of those sounds more likely than the other...

But just to clarify, which 'simple statement' is it which keeps causing you all of this trouble?

Reactions: 2 users
Longtime lurker, but had to share this gem to get the thread back on track :)

In an accelerated intro to psychology class, a fabulous lecture about evolution and mental illness comes to an end.

Obnoxious guy in the back of the class (loudly): "I don't believe in evolution". Everyone in earshot whips around and gives the guy a look.
Girl in front: "What? How can you not believe in evolution?!"
Guy: "I dunno, it never clicked with me." o_O

Everyone drops it and leaves, knowing that this is not worth an argument. Whilst walking to the cars, guy gets into new BMW with license plate "Doc 2B".
:wow: Still Scratching my head after that one...

Reactions: 9 users

In an accelerated intro to psychology class, a fabulous lecture about evolution and mental illness comes to an end.

Obnoxious guy in the back of the class (loudly): "I don't believe in evolution". Everyone in earshot whips around and gives the guy a look.

Everyone drops it and leaves, knowing that this is not worth an argument. Whilst walking to the cars, guy gets into new BMW with license plate "Doc 2B".
01dc6337573e5b0c902805f31b0b2195924465806fd7f84f005c71aaa6ab0a87.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

42% of Americans agree with that guy, including 27% of college graduates and 37% of medical doctors (although the MD poll is ten years old). Interesting that medical doctors reject evolution in a higher proportion than college graduates overall. (caveat: I am comparing two different polls conducted ten years apart, not exactly scientific, but interesting none the less.)
http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx
http://phys.org/news6847.html

Last edited:
because that's always the best respose to a debated and controversial topic
Pretty sure there's overwhelming evidence that evolution is the most correct theory we have about the origins of life. Evolution is no more debated or controversial than vaccination (aka both evolution and vaccination shouldn't even be debated or controversial topics).

because that's always the best respose to a debated and controversial topic
What is a debated and controversial topic? Evolution?

Pretty sure there's overwhelming evidence that evolution is the most correct theory we have about the origins of life. Evolution is no more debated or controversial than vaccination (aka both evolution and vaccination shouldn't even be debated or controversial topics).

Origins of life and a vaccination are not even comparable in how they can be tested and data collected.

I don't think it's worth having this discussion here, but I think many would agree with me that intelligent design/evolution can't be spoken of with the certainty that you do.

That's all I have on it. :=|:-):

What is a debated and controversial topic? Evolution?
I was thinking more origins of life, which more people disagree on.

Usually when people say they oppose evolution, what they mean is that they oppose evolution as the only way life originated.

And while evolution itself can be proven, origins of life can't really be, hence the controversy.

Last edited:
JFC, I meant to get the thread on track and I've set it off again.

SDN gods, forgive me.

Reactions: 16 users
JFC, I meant to get the thread on track and I've set it off again.

SDN gods, forgive me.
Also partially my fault with the memes - I posted them in jest, didn't realize it would spark an almost debate.

Also partially my fault with the memes - I posted them in jest, didn't realize it would spark an almost debate.
Sorry if I made it a debate :p I'm all for having fun at the expense of dumb pre-meds

Can we all just agree that pre-meds are terrible?

Reactions: 5 users
Can we all just agree that pre-meds are terrible?
The worst ones are the super bubbly hyper ones that want to save the world and tell everyone about it. :vomit:
Or the people like me who mock them.

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.

~Some guy

Citation count: [99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999]

That's all.
That's a Theodosius Dobzhansky quote

God, I work with an evolution denier. HYP educated, intelligent, good friend of mine, good clinician, but at times can be insanely rigid.

We're a group that loves debating with each other, but honestly said resident is usually left out of the debates. If you're the typer of person who's still a young earth creationist at 31 after 13 years of higher education and training, you're probably not the type of person to change your opinion after presentation of evidence.

Reactions: 6 users
God, I work with an evolution denier. HYP educated, intelligent, good friend of mine, good clinician, but at times can be insanely rigid.

We're a group that loves debating with each other, but honestly said resident is usually left out of the debates. If you're the typer of person who's still a young earth creationist at 31 after 13 years of higher education and training, you're probably not the type of person to change your opinion after presentation of evidence.
That's gotta be frustrating

Just to clarify, I wasn't denying evolution. I was just trying to point out that in my experience, the origins of life debate is a more complex one than evolution. Unfortunately, people, especially creationists, use the two interchangeably, which causes a lot of unnecessary controversy.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I wasn't denying evolution. I was just trying to point out that in my experience, the origins of life debate is a more complex one than evolution. Unfortunately, people, especially creationists, use the two interchangeably, which causes a lot of unnecessary controversy.

In the sense that the origin of life is a complicated and not completely solved scientific problem? Yes, I agree.

God of Spinoza agreement with evolution vs. non-deity requiring evolution? Hmmm...sure I'll give it to you, there is an entertainable argument here

An argument that does not fully and unequivocally accept the truth of evolution? Yah, not even close, less than worthless.

Evolution is the theory of what happened after life took place, intelligent design/creationist talks about how life started/was created... I don't understand why people even compare the two. That's like comparing apples to oranges and choosing oranges because you don't believe in apples.

When did this thread get so lame? Can everyone take their arguments about serious stuff elsewhere so that we can get back to laughing!

Reactions: 5 users
When did this thread get so lame? Can everyone take their arguments about serious stuff elsewhere so that we can get back to laughing!

well tell us a dumb pre-med story then

When a new strain of bacteria/virus emerges and is pathogenic, do MD creationists think god took up the whole the creation bit on the 8th day? Do different breeds of dogs just like blow their mind?

When a new strain of bacteria emerges and is pathogenic, do MD creationists think god took up the whole the creation bit on the 8th day? Do different breeds of dogs just like blow their mind?

I know people who believe that God or a god created some sort of precursor to those animals and/or bacteria and then they evolved and continue to evolve today. I don't think it's terribly unreasonable.

Though there are people who are completely black and white about it, and it's odd.

It is frustrating to think about why would someone as educated as a doc not believe in evolution, and it's also frustrating how pre meds think it is a pre req to being a doc to believe in evolution. Lol. Such a pre med thing.

And yes of course I believe in evolution. But I can't think of how any of my future patients will die if I didn't believe in it.

In the sense that the origin of life is a complicated and not completely solved scientific problem? Yes, I agree.

God of Spinoza agreement with evolution vs. non-deity requiring evolution? Hmmm...sure I'll give it to you, there is an entertainable argument here

An argument that does not fully and unequivocally accept the truth of evolution? Yah, not even close, less than worthless.
According to Spinoza, God is the laws of nature (including evolution). They are the same thing. To deny God his separate identity and to say that God (or the laws of nature) doesn't give a care to the good and the evil of human are the reasons that he has to be rather politely excommunicated.

Last edited:
NVM, its not worth prolonging this debate

Last edited:
I personally believe in evolution, but as a devil's advocate, there have been many times in history when scientists were 100% sure something worked a certain way and then 100 years later the new scientists were calling them fools.

We really need fresh pre-med stories

We really need fresh pre-med stories

I put off a lab until my last semester senior year so now I have it with a ton of freshman students.

Her:So you've taken Ochem 2 already, what did you get?
Me: A 42%. *waits for it*
Her: But that worse than an F!
Me: With the curve I got a B.
Her:Well do you have to retake it to get an A?
Me:I'd rather die.

I put off a lab until my last semester senior year so now I have it with a ton of freshman students.

Her:So you've taken Ochem 2 already, what did you get?
Me: A 42%. *waits for it*
Her: But that worse than an F!
Me: With the curve I got a B.
Her:Well do you have to retake it to get an A?
Me:I'd rather die.

Oh gosh me too! I'm taking Gen Bio 2 lab with a bunch of freshmen this year. I feel like a bitter old person in this class.

One of my lab partners smeared her fingers all over the sterile agarose culture we were supposed to grow unique bacteria on. I wanted to cry

Oh gosh me too! I'm taking Gen Bio 2 lab with a bunch of freshmen this year. I feel like a bitter old person in this class.

One of my lab partners smeared her fingers all over the agarose culture we were supposed to grow unique bacteria on. I wanted to cry

I can't remember if I was ever as incompetent as some of these freshman.

It isn't that hard. Follow the instructions. Write down what happens. Regurgitate onto a report exactly how the lab instructor asks. Good grade. Ta-freaking-dah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.