Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Srsly I am getting damn sick of people poking fun at my BA in Philo, then being surprised when I tell them I'm going to med school. I don't know where people got it in their heads that every med student must be a Biology/Biochemistry/Neuroscience major.

Many people don't understand what that major is all about. Philosophy majors go into medicine, law, etc. That major helps develop one's reasoning skills.

I loved my Deductive Logic class. I think everyone should take a class like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Many people don't understand what that major is all about. Philosophy majors go into medicine, law, etc. That major helps develop one's reasoning skills.

I loved my Deductive Logic class. I think everyone should take a class like that.
+1, should be a darn requirement.

Srsly I am getting damn sick of people poking fun at my BA in Philo, then being surprised when I tell them I'm going to med school. I don't know where people got it in their heads that every med student must be a Biology/Biochemistry/Neuroscience major.

:thumbup: from a philo minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I was a kinesiology major in school. People always thought I was a complete ***** and was surprised that I got accepted to med school. They thought I was gonna run some gym or somethin. They just mirin your credentials brah.

Eh, ignore them. Work hard and prove them wrong.

I was a Kinesiology major in undergrad. Graduated Magna cum laude from medical school and matched into my top choice Dermatology residency.

Eh, ignore them. Work hard and prove them wrong.

I was a Kinesiology major in undergrad. Graduated Magna cum laude from medical school and matched into my top choice Dermatology residency.

Wow dude.....thats intense!!

A female advisor around 50 years old told me that when students needed a high average grade score they recommended them to not have more grades then necessary when applying. - Fair enough, fewer grades = easier to get a high average. BUT then she pointed to two math grades I had, both A's, and said that I could take a new exam that covered the curriculum of both those separate classes and switch out those two A's with one. She went on to say that this was great since I then had 1 less grade on my diploma, while still qualifying to apply, and that would make it way easier to get a high average. :eek:

I did not have the heart to tell her that she sucked at her job so I just said thanks for the advice and got the hell out of there.

I wonder how many students she has ****ed things over for during the years.

Last edited:
A female advisor around 50 years old told me that when students needed a high average grade score they recommended them to not have more grades then necessary when applying. - Fair enough, fewer grades = easier to get a high average. BUT then she pointed to two math grades I had, both A's, and said that I could take a new exam that covered the curriculum of both those separate classes and switch out those two A's with one. She went on to say that this was great since I then had 1 less grade on my diploma, while still qualifying to apply, and that would make it way easier to get a high average. :eek:

I did not have the heart to tell her that she sucked at her job so I just said thanks for the advice and got the hell out of there.

I wonder how many students she has ****ed things over for during the years.

Probably not the ones who got 'A's in those math courses...:laugh:

Well, you're much nicer than I would have been. I would have enjoyed explaining to her how more A's help compensate for an occasional B. It would have been easy to do. Show her what the GPA is when you have one A and one B vs what the GPA is when you have two A's and one B.

I once knew a teacher who was complaining that everyone was getting a 10% pay cut, so she and her teacher husband were each getting a 10% pay cut. So, she proclaimed that her family income was now being cut by 20%. I asked her if she and her husband each got a 50% pay cut, would that mean that they were now both working for free. :laugh:

Well, you're much nicer than I would have been. I would have enjoyed explaining to her how more A's help compensate for an occasional B. It would have been easy to do. Show her what the GPA is when you have one A and one B vs what the GPA is when you have two A's and one B.

I once knew a teacher who was complaining that everyone was getting a 10% pay cut, so she and her teacher husband were each getting a 10% pay cut. So, she proclaimed that her family income was now being cut by 20%. I asked her if she and her husband each got a 50% pay cut, would that mean that they were now both working for free. :laugh:

:what: I wonder what she taught..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Soooo...

Last night I was informed that "we do not have drug addiction here in the midwest" from an obviously well-informed, highly exposed pre-med.

Erm... I'm pretty sure Missouri and Iowa lead the number of methamphetamine incidents in the United States. But apparently we must be immune to alcoholism, opiate abuse, and whatever other drug addiction you can think of.

I'm sorry that Iowa in particular does not have the population concentration for these drug problems to be thrown in your face, but don't try telling me we don't have a drug problem.

Ugh. Go back to your sheltered up-bringing.

Soooo...

Last night I was informed that "we do not have drug addiction here in the midwest" from an obviously well-informed, highly exposed pre-med.

Erm... I'm pretty sure Missouri and Iowa lead the number of methamphetamine incidents in the United States. But apparently we must be immune to alcoholism, opiate abuse, and whatever other drug addiction you can think of.

I'm sorry that Iowa in particular does not have the population concentration for these drug problems to be thrown in your face, but don't try telling me we don't have a drug problem.

Then the AA and NA meetings must be truly anonymous since no one shows up. :p

Soooo...

Wow... :smack:

"If you take classes at a community college, you'll never get in medical school"....from a fellow premed who failed two prereqs last semester

Premed: "What's SDN?" :laugh:
Couldn't help but notice that you've been a member since '01 and just went through your first cycle. Congrats on interviewing 36.5 weeks preggers w/a PEG tube; that's tenacity. Sorry it didn't work out. But like you said, no regrets. I wish you the best of luck on the MCAT in June.

So, can't help but ask, why did you join back in '01? Was that to peek into the nursing/pharm forums? I'm just curious. :)

I am not sure what category this falls under but I was listening to a premed at an interview rant about how much money he/she was going to make and how they were going to spend it.

I am not sure what category this falls under but I was listening to a premed at an interview rant about how much money he/she was going to make and how they were going to spend it.
Was his answer "on student loans"?

Cristal and Brooks Brothers were definitely name dropped
:smack:

This image comes to mind:
what-a-tool-4.jpg

Whoa nothing wrong with looking sharp

You're right, there's not. I am sure a lot doctors wear nice clothes. It is just the way and the place that this pre-med said it that made it inappropriate.

Whoa nothing wrong with looking sharp

You'd think, but I learned my lesson the hard way...that's the last time I wear a smoking jacket to an interview.

They even made me get rid of my scotch and cigar when we toured the hospital. Ridiculous.

You'd think, but I learned my lesson the hard way...that's the last time I wear a smoking jacket to an interview.

They even made me get rid of my scotch and cigar when we toured the hospital. Ridiculous.

:laugh: I actually know someone who thinks a smoking jacket and pipe is appropriate formal wear.

It was the sherpa slippers that did you in. :D

This technically isn't a pre-med comment, but when my now-fiancee was in her last semester of nursing school, one of her friends (also in her last semester of nursing school) asked her if the penis had a bone in it. That girl is now working in a level 4 NICU....

This technically isn't a pre-med comment, but when my now-fiancee was in her last semester of nursing school, one of her friends (also in her last semester of nursing school) asked her if the penis had a bone in it. That girl is now working in a level 4 NICU....

There's a (classic) SDN thread for that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.