Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This technically isn't a pre-med comment, but when my now-fiancee was in her last semester of nursing school, one of her friends (also in her last semester of nursing school) asked her if the penis had a bone in it. That girl is now working in a level 4 NICU....

It does... why do you think they call it "boner" ?

JK JK like guero said there is a classic thread about this floating around on sdn

Members don't see this ad.

"It's more expensive because it's like a luxury boutique school, that's why their match rates are so much higher than the US schools"...premed explaining their carribean first choice to me

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
This technically isn't a pre-med comment, but when my now-fiancee was in her last semester of nursing school, one of her friends (also in her last semester of nursing school) asked her if the penis had a bone in it. That girl is now working in a level 4 NICU....

My freshman dorm had a giant debate about this...it's a little less understandable coming from a(n almost) health professional, though. It's one thing for a frosh girl to find out that some animals (like raccoons) have penis bones and extrapolate that humans must too, an entirely different thing for a person who will be WORKING with humans to make the same mistake!

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't help but notice that you've been a member since '01 and just went through your first cycle. Congrats on interviewing 36.5 weeks preggers w/a PEG tube; that's tenacity. Sorry it didn't work out. But like you said, no regrets. I wish you the best of luck on the MCAT in June.

So, can't help but ask, why did you join back in '01? Was that to peek into the nursing/pharm forums? I'm just curious. :)

Hey thanks! I joined when I was a paramedic student thinking about what I wanted to do with my education. I ended up going to nursing school since it was what I could afford, and my parents did not want me to move away from home. Ended up getting married, having some kids, had a horrible pregnancy, almost died, and then decided that I wanted to do more for women in similiar situations and that I could do this best by going into medicine.

I've only really decided on the premed thing since 2010 after I had my third baby. Hoping for a good a MCAT score this spring and lots of interviews!

I couldn't even walk around much last August, so I did great even being able to go to an interview especially without even having sat for the MCAT yet. I would have rejected me too to be honest. A year of getting healthy again won't hurt me. Oh, and I'm tubeless now. Yay! :)

Hey thanks! I joined when I was a paramedic student thinking about what I wanted to do with my education. I ended up going to nursing school since it was what I could afford, and my parents did not want me to move away from home. Ended up getting married, having some kids, had a horrible pregnancy, almost died, and then decided that I wanted to do more for women in similiar situations and that I could do this best by going into medicine.

I've only really decided on the premed thing since 2010 after I had my third baby. Hoping for a good a MCAT score this spring and lots of interviews!

I couldn't even walk around much last August, so I did great even being able to go to an interview especially without even having sat for the MCAT yet. I would have rejected me too to be honest. A year of getting healthy again won't hurt me. Oh, and I'm tubeless now. Yay! :)
Wow, what a story. :highfive: Glad you're still around. I'm sure your PS rocks. Thanks for sharing and good luck! :luck:

"If you take classes at a community college, you'll never get in medical school"....from a fellow premed who failed two prereqs last semester

I took a few science prereq's at a community college.

dm;md

[Doesn't matter, matched Derm]

Wow, what a story. :highfive: Glad you're still around. I'm sure your PS rocks. Thanks for sharing and good luck! :luck:

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on my PS and tried to make it as heartfelt and uplifting as I could about my life experiences. I bet that you have some stories too! ;)

Damn, I thought that was Doesn't Matter, MD (as in he still became a doctor).

But matched derm is even more impressive! :thumbup:

Actually, most animals have an os penis. :) Heading back to the veterinary world...

Actually, most animals have an os penis. :) Heading back to the veterinary world...

Right, that's why I was saying it wouldn't be bad if most people (well, girls, really) got confused for a bit after reading about other mammals' penis bones, but someone specifically in a human health program? They should know better, or at least know enough to be suspicious and consult Wikipedia before spreading misinformation!

Very inspirational and dedicated story! Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually that is incorrect.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
C'mon guys, we're all scientifically oriented here. If you're going to debate, drop some sources our way so we the curious can look into it ourselves with less effort. :D

Well, "animals" includes birds, fish, insects, reptiles, amphibians... Now, if the word "mammals" (or more specifically placental mammals) had been used, they would be correct. My guess is that less than 10%of animals have one but I can't research it at the moment.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

C'mon guys, we're all scientifically oriented here. If you're going to debate, drop some sources our way so we the curious can look into it ourselves with less effort. :D

You win the prize for my favorite person of the day.

oh, and this post is the prize.

congrats.

You win the prize for my favorite person of the day.

oh, and this post is the prize.

congrats.
aw-shucks.jpg

Thanks!

Some of the worst I've heard about the MCAT:

-"What's the MCAT?"

-"Oh, I didn't know you have to take the MCAT before you apply" <-- this was said my a junior who should (don't think she will be) applying this upcoming cycle.

This is a question that I have been thinking of lately. First of all, I really don't mean to offend. Seriously.

My question is more of a conceptual one. SDN seems to be filled mostly with really smart people and people who have struggled in school (with few, it seems, in between). Many people on here have low 20s MCAT scores and sincerely want to become doctors. Their desire is entirely genuine and admirable, but should people who either don't do well in school (have low gpas) or low test scores be allowed to be doctors?

As a person who did poorly on my first MCAT (30) and had a science GPA of 3.25 at one point, I certainly understand and sympathize with low stats applicants. But I wanted to be a doctor, so I worked hard to improve.

I think about this in the context of Caribbean and DO schools most acutely. I am seriously not trying to offend*, but they do on average have lower stats and I wonder if they become substandard doctors. It would seem that stats are somewhat important in predicting the quality of a physician.

Thus, should low stat applicants who manage to get into Caribbean schools (or DO schools) be congratulated or should it be somewhat concerning.

*I know people are going to get offended, but I still want to make my intent clear. I know discussing anything controversial engenders alot of emotion, but I want it to be completely clear that I am not trying to insult anyone. I was (am) a low stat applicant myself.
-

This has been posted a while back on SDN.

No question asked out of curiosity for another person could ever be considered ignorant. I'm happy you asked me this. So happy that I'll answer.;)

So if this guy wasn't happy enough, he wouldn't answer? Wow, harsh man. :scared:

guy in my bio class 1: "Ah I'm so sick of organic chem! I can't wait to be done with this **** forever!!!"

guy in my bio class 2: "What do you mean, forever? you're pre-med too, right?"

guy 1: "yeah."

guy 2: "you have to take another semester of it in medical school."

me: *FACEPALM*

This has been posted a while back on SDN.

So if this guy wasn't happy enough, he wouldn't answer? Wow, harsh man. :scared:

:shrug: If continuing a forum thread weren't making me happy (or at least, if were making me unhappy), I sure as hell wouldn't respond or continue the convo. Sounds sensible to me!

:shrug: If continuing a forum thread weren't making me happy (or at least, if were making me unhappy), I sure as hell wouldn't respond or continue the convo. Sounds sensible to me!

The fun part is that a question is, by definition, ignorant. People lump other words in there and treat it as an insult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

The fun part is that a question is, by definition, ignorant. People lump other words in there and treat it as an insult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Ah, I missed that part. Yeah, 'ignorance' isn't always an insult. If you're recognizing it/trying to eliminate it, it's just an accurate description!

Let me preface this by saying that I don't think of this girl as an ignorant premed, but I feel like this story is worth telling in this thread.

I was at a premed club meeting where an admissions representative from one of our state schools was speaking. There was a girl at the meeting who is an international student from a country in the Middle East (I don't know her personally, so I don't know what country she is from. We have a lot of preprofessional students from Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, etc.). Anyways, she asked the admissions representative, "Are any of the medical specialties restricted to men? Like, can a woman be a surgeon?" Everyone in the room got really quiet. The admissions representative just got this really sad look on her face and said, "Oh. Honey. You can be whatever you want to be." It was super awkward and depressing. I guess I am the ignorant premed in this story because I didn't realize that this was an actual issue in some parts of the world.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't think of this girl as an ignorant premed, but I feel like this story is worth telling in this thread.

I was at a premed club meeting where an admissions representative from one of our state schools was speaking. There was a girl at the meeting who is an international student from a country in the Middle East (I don't know her personally, so I don't know what country she is from. We have a lot of preprofessional students from Afghanistan, Iraq, Egypt, etc.). Anyways, she asked the admissions representative, "Are any of the medical specialties restricted to men? Like, can a woman be a surgeon?" Everyone in the room got really quiet. The admissions representative just got this really sad look on her face and said, "Oh. Honey. You can be whatever you want to be." It was super awkward and depressing. I guess I am the ignorant premed in this story because I didn't realize that this was an actual issue in some parts of the world.

Sad story. I dont think that you are ignorant. Thats just part of life and getting exposed to these types of issues personally. This sort of thing happens all the time in many different work fields, not just pre med.

Uh, that was exactly his point.

Uh, I'm pretty sure he knew what she meant. He just wanted to be a smart Alec because she said she was in the vet field but said "animal" instead of "mammal."

JUNIOR pre-med: So med school is in the hospital right?

Some random girl I was chatting with before biochem this morning...
Girl: Have you started studying for your MCAT yet? I haven't, but I hear it's pretty hard.
Me: Yeah, I take mine in May. Are you going to take the MCAT over the summer or next year?
Girl: No, I take it April 4th.
Me: :eek:

I knew a girl in college with a sub 3.0 GPA who cheated on all her exams (yes, and was still sub 3.0 and not because she got caught and was given failing grades), got an MCAT score of 11 (not a section score) and was going to go to UMich to become a radiologist.

I knew a girl in college with a sub 3.0 GPA who cheated on all her exams (yes, and was still sub 3.0 and not because she got caught and was given failing grades), got an MCAT score of 11 (not a section score) and was going to go to UMich to become a radiologist.

I think you mean radiation technologist

Former pre-rad tech (cGPA, then, of 2.79 after earning A.S.) sometime after being rejected to tech program: "I think I'm gonna work on my B.S. and apply to medical school."

Same dude took the MCAT on 4 weeks of weak studying (3 hours/day) and yet pulled a modestly decent 29.

Currently sits on an acceptance.

:confused:

Former pre-rad tech (cGPA, then, of 2.79 after earning A.S.) sometime after being rejected to tech program: "I think I'm gonna work on my B.S. and apply to medical school."

Same dude took the MCAT on 4 weeks of weak studying (3 hours/day) and yet pulled a modestly decent 29.

Currently sits on an acceptance.

:confused:

He got accepted to a DO school?

I had this conversation about a week ago with a friend who I thought was smarter than this. As soon as he said this, I was thinking, "Finally I can post something on SDN" :smuggrin:
We were already talking about medicine and possible specialty interest.

Me: So what do you think you would be interested in specializing?
Friend: Oh, I'm really interested in oral surgery.
Me: Like MD facial reconstruction surgery, or like DMD oral surgery?
Friend: DMD, because they can still do surgery, but it doesn't take as long to get a degree.
Me: What type of surgery do you mean?!
Friend: Well, if someone gets like shot in the face, I could go into surgery and fix it.
Me: I don't think they would call a dentist for that... :scared:

Seriously, you should have seen my face!! (And as a side note, DMD oral surgery takes almost as long as getting a medical degree :smuggrin: )

Lol from the way I read it it was like "with that history his acceptance must be DO."

:)

I didn't think about that. Now that you mention it, you have a point. ;)

Based on what I read, that guy got good stats for DO, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got into a DO school.

I didn't think about that. Now that you mention it, you have a point. ;)

Based on what I read, that guy got good stats for DO, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got into a DO school.

Hell man, I'm surprised either way. Yes, they were osteo schools. I'm still on hold at my state allo school.
Long road of GPA recovery though..

:eek:

:D

I had this conversation about a week ago with a friend who I thought was smarter than this. As soon as he said this, I was thinking, "Finally I can post something on SDN" :smuggrin:
We were already talking about medicine and possible specialty interest.

Me: So what do you think you would be interested in specializing?
Friend: Oh, I'm really interested in oral surgery.
Me: Like MD facial reconstruction surgery, or like DMD oral surgery?
Friend: DMD, because they can still do surgery, but it doesn't take as long to get a degree.
Me: What type of surgery do you mean?!
Friend: Well, if someone gets like shot in the face, I could go into surgery and fix it.
Me: I don't think they would call a dentist for that... :scared:

Seriously, you should have seen my face!! (And as a side note, DMD oral surgery takes almost as long as getting a medical degree :smuggrin: )

I was watching an episode of untold stories of the er and a guy survived a pole through the face, which is pretty much as bad as shot in the face. They called in a maxilofacial (sp?) surgeon whose degree was DDS. I was really surprised.

For clarification, you guys think 2.79 is good for osteo..? If it helps, the sGPA at that time was like about 2.6.

For clarification, you guys think 2.79 is good for osteo..? If it helps, the sGPA at that time was like about 2.6.

I don't think so. Anything sub 3.0 is a red flag IMO. Unless there is something else in that app that is just mind-blowing...

I don't think so. Anything sub 3.0 is a red flag IMO. Unless there is something else in that app that is just mind-blowing...

Partially disagree. Two factors come into play. URM advantage and grade replacement.

I was watching an episode of untold stories of the er and a guy survived a pole through the face, which is pretty much as bad as shot in the face. They called in a maxilofacial (sp?) surgeon whose degree was DDS. I was really surprised.

Wow! I always thought they would call an orthopedic surgeon and/or a plastic surgeon for stuff like that. But I guess maxillofacial surgeons deal with that type of stuff too.

Partially disagree. Two factors come into play. URM advantage and grade replacement.

Yes. But that wasn't the question. The question was "is 2.79 good for osteo", in which case it isn't. Again, I read that as 2.79 period since no grade replacement is mentioned.

Yes. But that wasn't the question. The question was "is 2.79 good for osteo", in which case it isn't. Again, I read that as 2.79 period since no grade replacement is mentioned.

With a 29 MCAT, the LizzyM score is 58, right around the ballpark for DO schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.