Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With a 29 MCAT, the LizzyM score is 58, right around the ballpark for DO schools.

But that GPA wouldn't get screened out very early? At least at most schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But in this case, he got in with a 2.7 GPA. I'm sure he got into one of the newer DO schools.

Lol. Strike 2...
I got into a newer DO school. Haha!

But now we are back to the person in question. The friend said he HAD at 2.7 and we don't know if he raised that since then. Could have done grade replacement or postbac.

Lol. Strike 2...
I got into a newer DO school. Haha!

But now we are back to the person in question. The friend said he HAD at 2.7 and we don't know if he raised that since then. Could have done grade replacement or postbac.

How? Newer DO schools are more flexible.

How? Newer DO schools are more flexible.

Lol. I just jk.

I like my school. And I chose them because they offered me a full scholarship.

But I don't know how flexible any school can be. Where's the data for what percent of sub 3.0 GPA matriculated? It's out there somewhere! Lol

Lol. I just jk.

But I don't know how flexible any school can be. Where's the data for what percent of sub 3.0 GPA matriculated? It's out there somewhere! Lol

:owle::thumbup:

I had this conversation about a week ago with a friend who I thought was smarter than this. As soon as he said this, I was thinking, "Finally I can post something on SDN" :smuggrin:
We were already talking about medicine and possible specialty interest.

Me: So what do you think you would be interested in specializing?
Friend: Oh, I'm really interested in oral surgery.
Me: Like MD facial reconstruction surgery, or like DMD oral surgery?
Friend: DMD, because they can still do surgery, but it doesn't take as long to get a degree.
Me: What type of surgery do you mean?!
Friend: Well, if someone gets like shot in the face, I could go into surgery and fix it.
Me: I don't think they would call a dentist for that... :scared:

Seriously, you should have seen my face!! (And as a side note, DMD oral surgery takes almost as long as getting a medical degree :smuggrin: )

FYI, Maxillofacial surgery IS a dental subspecialty, NOT medicine. From what I understand, you would have MFS do a facial reconstruction involving the oral cavity and surrounding regions over plastics when available. Now as for the length of time, yes, it's similar -- about 8 yrs total (although this still less than the ~10 post-college for plastics).

Well, just to finalize: my surprise if I wasn't me and I picked up on that situation, is that I'd be concerned that this guy was naive for thinking that a) he could be hopeful after failing his current goal, then elevating his goals so much and b) that he could actually perform well enough to get in eventually.

I, again naively, didn't ever attempt to use grade replacement for its sake, and ultimately only did once. I actually got questioned about why I didn't during an interview..lolz.

FYI, Maxillofacial surgery IS a dental subspecialty, NOT medicine. From what I understand, you would have MFS do a facial reconstruction involving the oral cavity and surrounding regions over plastics when available. Now as for the length of time, yes, it's similar -- about 8 yrs total (although this still less than the ~10 post-college for plastics).

That's what he was saying...and FYI, saying FYI makes a fairly helpful comment seem reeaallly aggravating.

Lol. I just jk.

What DO schools offer full scholarships? Did they just offer it or did you have to ask it? Now I feel like I missed out. Lol

Well, "animals" includes birds, fish, insects, reptiles, amphibians... Now, if the word "mammals" (or more specifically placental mammals) had been used, they would be correct. My guess is that less than 10%of animals have one but I can't research it at the moment.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Whoops, you're totally right. That's what I meant. Science typo for the fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of work, no grade replacement. Still an underdog level GPA. Got into one of the oldest schools btw.

ENT is usually the other specialty taking facial trauma call.

I was watching an episode of untold stories of the er and a guy survived a pole through the face, which is pretty much as bad as shot in the face. They called in a maxilofacial (sp?) surgeon whose degree was DDS. I was really surprised.

The OMFS people at my school go through 4 years of dental school for the DDS then do the last two years of medical school (peds, ob/gyn, neuro, all that), then do the residency for OMFS. I don't know if they actually get the "MD" distinction or just the DDS, but they are more thoroughly trained than other DDS graduates.

When I was in 2nd grade I was a pretty bad kid and always got in trouble with the teacher. So one day I get sent in the hallway and then the class is all leaving the classroom in single file and all walk by looking at me. The last girl looks at me (the gunner of the class) and says "you are so bad, you will never amount to anything."

Well I am goin to med school now gunna ho! Suckkk it :thumbup:

Even though I haven't seen her since 2nd grade, she is def a pre-med.

When I was in 2nd grade I was a pretty bad kid and always got in trouble with the teacher. So one day I get sent in the hallway and then the class is all leaving the classroom in single file and all walk by looking at me. The last girl looks at me (the gunner of the class) and says "you are so bad, you will never amount to anything."

Haha! Nice :thumbup:

Yeah me too. I think ENT's can also specialize in facial reconstruction.

ENT is usually the other specialty taking facial trauma call.
The mudphudder took the words straight from my fingertips. I'm really interested in ENT (practicing mostly surgically). It seems like such an interesting and fun specialty.
FYI, you're right.
:laugh: Now you're my favorite SDNer of the day. Congratulations.

Wow, that must've really, really stung to linger with you for all of these years. Did you have crush on that girl? Or did you just particularly loathe the gunner within her?

My dad was always a douche and said things like, "I don't know what she sees in you" when referring to my ex-wife when we first met and started spending all of our time together. He also thought nursing would be the pennacle of any achievement in which I might succeed (which is an admirable profession, just not for me). Now he can't stop bragging and telling me how proud he is and such. Felt darn good, folks.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you, yes I know. That was pretty much what my post entailed...

That's what he was saying...and FYI, saying FYI makes a fairly helpful comment seem reeaallly aggravating.

:thumbup:

Wow, that must've really, really stung to linger with you for all of these years. Did you have crush on that girl? Or did you just particularly loathe the gunner within her?

Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. I did not have a crush on her though. I hated her guts. Lately, I have been using that memory to fuel me though. Anytime I am feeling lazy/might not accomplish something, I think back to that moment and then I want to do nothing but fu**ing dominate whatever I am doing. So it's a bad memory, but I use it to my advantage. But I still think back to it and wish I kicked her in the shins or something. It would have been worth a detention or 2.

• Haha
Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. I did not have a crush on her though. I hated her guts. Lately, I have been using that memory to fuel me though. Anytime I am feeling lazy/might not accomplish something, I think back to that moment and then I want to do nothing but fu**ing dominate whatever I am doing. So it's a bad memory, but I use it to my advantage. But I still think back to it and wish I kicked her in the shins or something. It would have been worth a detention or 2.
Hahaha, I literally lawld at the shins comment. :thumbup: Congrats!

There was a guy at my mcat yesterday who tried to bring in a graphing calculator. Apparently he assumed they were allowed "because no one knows how to do logs and exponents." What's hilarious is that the proctor said that if he needed it there would be a pop-up calculator available in the testing application if he needed it. Boy did he look peeved when I saw him at the break.

There was a guy at my mcat yesterday who tried to bring in a graphing calculator. Apparently he assumed they were allowed "because no one knows how to do logs and exponents." What's hilarious is that the proctor said that if he needed it there would be a pop-up calculator available in the testing application if he needed it. Boy did he look peeved when I saw him at the break.

Hahahahahah that's priceless

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

RRnhhqW.gif

Lol he probably thought he was so clever when he was storing physics formulas and a list of the krebs cycle products into the programs in his calculator. Denied!

You have to be crazy not to know that isn't allowed... wtf

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I have a feeling it even says you can't when you sign up to take the damn thing. Epic fail. Also it really isn't that hard to do logs/exponents w/o a calculator

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Haha, I think that is pretty much one of the first things I learned about the mcat

22500939.jpg

Last edited:
Lol he probably thought he was so clever when he was storing physics formulas and a list of the krebs cycle products into the programs in his calculator. Denied!

in hindsight I can't really think of a way to easily cheat on the mcat. it's so much of a thinking test that it's almost all logic with the material as background that you need to know. if you knew everything it would still be hard.

After getting over the intitial shock of this unfortunate and gravely uninformed tester, am I the only one that's like "pop-up calculator?" :confused:

After getting over the intitial shock of this unfortunate and gravely uninformed tester, am I the only one that's like "pop-up calculator?" :confused:

Hahaha nope, I had the same reaction!

So was there actually a pop-up calculator that I didn't know about? Or was the proctor just dead wrong?

Yeah that sounds like serious bs. The only math on that thing could be done with a faulty solar calculator so no way do they give you anything

Yeah that sounds like serious bs. The only math on that thing could be done with a faulty solar calculator so no way do they give you anything
Yeah, that's what I was thinking: absolutely nothing other than cut and paste capabilities during the writing portion (that now doesn't exist, those bastards).

So was there actually a pop-up calculator that I didn't know about? Or was the proctor just dead wrong?

I took the test in 2011, and in the experimental section there was a pop up calculator available. It was going to be added "in the near future."

So if you took the test a couple of years ago, no, there was no calculator. If you took it more recently, there may have been one.

I am glad there wasn't one available, because then the math was easy or non-existent. When I saw a calculator available, I thought to myself that the test was flint to get harder once that puppy went on-line.

dsoz

I took the test in 2011, and in the experimental section there was a pop up calculator available. It was going to be added "in the near future."

So if you took the test a couple of years ago, no, there was no calculator. If you took it more recently, there may have been one.

I am glad there wasn't one available, because then the math was easy or non-existent. When I saw a calculator available, I thought to myself that the test was flint to get harder once that puppy went on-line.

dsoz

I took it in summer 2012 and the only "pop up extra" was a periodic table!

Girl w/ 2.8 GPA and 26 MCAT.

Me: have you thought about DO schools?
Her: (Gives a pitiful look) No. I just don't want to settle for less, you know?

Unless she is some ridiculously under represented form of URM.... good luck w a <3.0 GPA. Her options are basically either caribbean or medical assistant :oops:

I knew someone with a 3.6 cGPA but like a 2.7 sGPA and they didn't believe me that AMCAS shows both. They thought they were fine with a 3.6. They even applied and were subsequently rejected pretty early at most of their schools.

Oh lordy I have a good one. Quick backstory, I was a tutor for undergraduate students. This took place with a student and myself:

Student: Oh the MCAT's not THAT hard, right? It's like the SAT, it doesn't mean much.
Me: -twitch- -smile- Let me explain....-explains what the MCAT is really like-
Student: -face of pure fear-
Me: I just thought I would clarify.

Oh lordy I have a good one. Quick backstory, I was a tutor for undergraduate students. This took place with a student and myself:

Student: Oh the MCAT's not THAT hard, right? It's like the SAT, it doesn't mean much.
Me: -twitch- -smile- Let me explain....-explains what the MCAT is really like-
Student: -face of pure fear-
Me: I just thought I would clarify.

:laugh:

On the topic of the MCAT, and kind of related to the thread topic - does anyone else find it irritating when people ask if you're re-taking your MCAT? Typical conversation for me:

Them: Oh, you're pre-med? Cool! Have you taken the MCAT yet?
Me: Yep, I have. Actually I took it over a year ago now.
Them: How'd it go?
Me: Pretty well. I'm happy with my score.
Them: Ah, so are you planning on re-taking it?
Me: :bang:

Pretty much anyone I have talked to about the MCAT has said this in some form or fashion. There are enough resources available to have an idea where you'll score on this test. There are always anomalies, but for the most part, if you aren't scoring where you'd like on the practice tests, then postpone. Taking the MCAT multiple times should be the exception, not the rule.

:laugh:

On the topic of the MCAT, and kind of related to the thread topic - does anyone else find it irritating when people ask if you're re-taking your MCAT? Typical conversation for me:

Them: Oh, you're pre-med? Cool! Have you taken the MCAT yet?
Me: Yep, I have. Actually I took it over a year ago now.
Them: How'd it go?
Me: Pretty well. I'm happy with my score.
Them: Ah, so are you planning on re-taking it?
Me: :bang:

Pretty much anyone I have talked to about the MCAT has said this in some form or fashion. There are enough resources available to have an idea where you'll score on this test. There are always anomalies, but for the most part, if you aren't scoring where you'd like on the practice tests, then postpone. Taking the MCAT multiple times should be the exception, not the rule.

The look on your face when someone asks you if you are retaking the MCAT :smuggrin: ... priceless

Status
Not open for further replies.