Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i get things like that allll the time. "what do you do?" "oh i go to med school" "oh, are you going to be a nurse?"....

omg.

Members don't see this ad.

LoL, it's actually quite common. Actually, the most common one I get is medical transcriptionist.

Lol. Wtf is that?

My story is not from a pre-med but anytime I tell someone I got accepted into medical school, they ask "why don't you just become a nurse instead?" Maybe it's because I'm female lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. Wtf is that?

My story is not from a pre-med but anytime I tell someone I got accepted into medical school, they ask "why don't you just become a nurse instead?" Maybe it's because I'm female lol.

Or maybe it's because you start and end posts with "lol" and don't know what a medical transcriptionist is.

....that was uncalled for, but completely irresistible.

Or maybe it's because you start and end posts with "lol" and don't know what a medical transcriptionist is.

He's saddled up, there's no remorse, it's hi-ho-silver! Signed, bad horse.

There seems to be a ton of people who don't understand that medical school is for future physicians. What I'm wondering is what exactly do they think it's called when you go to school to be a doctor?

"Doctor school?" "MD School?" "Whatever specialty you will be school?"

There seems to be a ton of people who don't understand that medical school is for future physicians. What I'm wondering is what exactly do they think it's called when you go to school to be a doctor?

I have no idea where people get this idea. Maybe they think anyone in the medical field goes to medical school... And you just major in nursing or doctor or CNA or medical transcriber :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I mean I got this a lot. But what do you want them say?

"Yeah, it's tough, your stats don't seem to meet the par. Good luck though."

True. I hadn't thought of it like that, I guess. I think what bugs me is the fact that I'm stressed and they seem so flippant. Like "I think you're smart, so you'll get in." There are plenty of smart people who don't get in every year. My equally flippant response is "Sweet. Hope you're on the adcom. No, seriously, I hope you're on the adcom." :D

Me: "I'm going to medical school."
Them: "Are you going to be a PA? RN? what?"
Me: :lame:

I have no idea where people get this idea. Maybe they think anyone in the medical field goes to medical school... And you just major in nursing or doctor or CNA or medical transcriber :laugh:

I think that is exactly what they think. I don't know where they get that idea, though.

I think that is exactly what they think. I don't know where they get that idea, though.

Probably all the tech school ads on TV.

At this place, you can even go into rads! (How many non-medical people really know the difference b/w a radiologist and a radiology tech, now? Honestly...)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_UrSvrtfQ[/YOUTUBE]

Or you could go here, where "your future career in the medical field awaits!"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9wdLTTO08[/YOUTUBE]

You can even go to Dade Medical College (a real medical school, obviously) and get your degree in nursing, radiology, or healthcare management!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5kIsF_9eiA[/YOUTUBE]

...And we wonder why people are so confused!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:thumbup:

More often than not, unless they're friends or family, if medical school is ever brought up in a conversation, people assume I'm gonna be a radiology tech, respiratory tech, LVN/RN, CRNA, or forensic pathologist.

The forensic pathologist was a pretty cool guess, but it seemed so random and really specific :eyebrow:

From a recent attempt at small talk in a first aid training session I was facilitating:

Me: "So what do you do?"
Trainee: "I'm a med student."
Me: "Oh? Where at?"
Trainee: "Sanford-Brown."
Me: "Oh...cool...!"

From a recent attempt at small talk in a first aid training session I was facilitating:

Me: "So what do you do?"
Trainee: "I'm a med student."
Me: "Oh? Where at?"
Trainee: "Sanford-Brown."
Me: "Oh...cool...!"

Haha.... that's pretty sad. Hopefully, he realizes that walking into his first job and telling everyone where he went to med school probably's going to work out real well for him!

At the same time, sometimes it does seem like some of the techs these days are doing stuff at an extremely broad scope of practice. Obviously, physicians' training comes as crucial when things go wrong (which is often unpredictable), but for probably 99% of ED cases in which the doc orders an x-ray, for instance, the radiologist really just copies the rad tech's entry almost word for word. Of course, we need the radiologist's report to do anything, but more often than not, we could use the rad tech's report and be just fine. (Of course, the one time we did that would be the one time the tech missed something and we'd get sued millions for the breach of protocol!)

Members don't see this ad :)
From same "premed":

"I'm going to be a physical therapist. Med school is going to be hard."

In response to me saying that I wanted to go into OB:
"You want to be an OB/GYN? That's a nurse right?"

2043_fail_camera_Fail-s500x420-10287-580.jpg

At this place, you can even go into rads! (How many non-medical people really know the difference b/w a radiologist and a radiology tech, now? Honestly...)

You can even go to Dade Medical College (a real medical school, obviously) and get your degree in nursing, radiology, or healthcare management!

You're totally right. Now that I think about it, I know of several radiology techs who, on their facebook pages, say they studied Radiology at ________ school/hospital or that they have degrees in Radiology.

"I would like to turn this kind of vanity-doctor thing into a career. Is dermatology a good route for me? Or is there something similar (not esthetician) that I should look into?"

Because they are one and the same, right? :thumbdown:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=784652

I second all those comments about some pre-meds having no idea what residency is...:thumbdown:thumbdown

sdn mobile messes up sometimes

Last edited:

Yes it was uncalled for. That was obviously a joke. No disrespect to medical transcriptionists.

You'll hear people say things like, "I go to Emory college of medicine. I'm in their PA program." I've actually only seen PA's say that, but maybe other midlevels do as well. I can see it getting confusing if you're an outsider.

I second all those comments about some pre-meds having no idea what residency is...:thumbdown:thumbdown

I started thinking about going into medicine when I was 16. I remember watching a documentary about residents on discovery health channel. For a while, I thought that the doctors actually lived in the hospital 24/7 for all 3-7 years of residency :laugh:.

But yeah, lots of people don't know about residency. I've had to explain the whole medical process a 1000 times to my family members because they still don't understand it. My grandparents are always asking, "are you a doctor now?"

:love:it!

I should just go to a tech school. My GPA might be too high, though. :D

It's ok. You just have to write a great PS and do some volunteering to show your interest in Radiology, Nursing, or Emergency Medicine.

It's ok. You just have to write a great PS and do some volunteering to show your interest in Radiology, Nursing, or Emergency Medicine.

I would have to rite like 5 grader on my to get into nursing grad skool.

Oh, oh, oh! I got another one!

This girl:

"Some of you nursing credits should help you toward med school, right?" :laugh:

"I'm going to use organic chemistry a lot as a doctor."

Another one was actually directed towards me being a psych major.
" I don't think you can get into medical school with a psych major. You're going to be really disadvantaged when you take the mcat and are taking classes in medical school.

Hahaha the organic chemistry one I heard recently from someone I know. He thought that it is more important to know organic chemistry mechanisms for medical physiology. He just didn't get it. You never use it beyond the very most basic of knowledge.

They also thought that MCAT and GPA alone could get you in med school and didn't know volunteering and shadowing and stuff was also important to med admissions committees.

Just last year a former psych major who claimed she wanted to do medicine didn't even know what match was. I was shocked. i thought every premed knew what step 1, step 2, match, residency all meant.

After talking to ~5 pre-meds about the match, none had any idea what I was talking about.

Selection bias - a possibility, of course.

After talking to ~5 pre-meds about the match, none had any idea what I was talking about.

Selection bias - a possibility, of course.

Frazier- dig your avatar.... nice! I've learned after talking to pre-meds at my school (there are 1200+ pre-health students out of 8k or so total) that there are the type that take the time to learn what they are getting into (most on SDN) and those that think 'Doktoring is cool' and don't research the process/commitment/requirements very much at all. Totally not surprised by your results. Will conduct my own study this week.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_UrSvrtfQ[/YOUTUBE]

Or you could go here, where "your future career in the medical field awaits!"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9wdLTTO08[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5kIsF_9eiA[/YOUTUBE]

Lol I remember I used to joke about those type of commercials because they make it seem like if you enter for a 9 month program you'll be a doctor

I like the ones like medvance that have a jingle

Or the education connection commercials where they sing about going to school in your PJs

Last edited:
I go to class in pajamas anyway. Don't need a online school for that.

I was volunteering in the ER one night when a small group of doctors and nurses was discussing the toe of a patient. Halfway through the conversation someone in the group asked, "What does...'necrotic' mean?" :eyebrow:

Last edited:
I was volunteering in the ER one night when a small group of doctors and nurses were discussing the toe of a patient. Halfway through the conversation someone asked, "What does...'necrotic' mean?" :eyebrow:

Yikes! :)

How did I forget to mention my roommate last semester? She was a freshman and introduced herself to me as a dermatology major (before orientation). Her facebook said USC Dermatology c/o 2014. After orientation, when she apparently realized that dermatology was not a major here--or anywhere--she changed it criminal justice.....which is also not a major here. One semester in I am pleased to report she has settled on a major that exists.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Just last year a former psych major who claimed she wanted to do medicine didn't even know what match was. I was shocked. i thought every premed knew what step 1, step 2, match, residency all meant.

Im not going to lie when I was a pre-med I probably wouldn't have been able to draw you a completely accurate timeline/description of step1, 2, 3, internship, residency, fellowship, etc.

Some people just worry about the next step (ie getting into medical school)...you'll learn as you go along

Reactions: 1 user
"Nurses aren't trained in science or medicine" - SDN

:smuggrin:

"Nurses aren't trained in science or medicine" - SDN

:love: you new avatar!!

I actually saw one today and thought of you. If I can find it again, I'll pm the link.

People forget that nurses are VERY big on evidence-based practice. We got drilled that since we were little nurselings. :laugh:

LMAO! He was probably trolling. Especially that *****ic statement he made:

"Er, great one, doc! So why is it called a boner if there's no bone? I'd suggest that you get yourself to a high school biology class as soon as possible and learn some basic anatomy. And why is there a pubic bone if it isn't for supporting a boner?

Dude, forget medical school. You're not touching me if that's the extent of your knowledge of human anatomy."

Naive folks like this usually make my day :D:D:D:D:D

I actually saw one today and thought of you. If I can find it again, I'll pm the link.

People forget that nurses are VERY big on evidence-based practice. We got drilled that since we were little nurselings. :laugh:

To be clear, the poster didn't say anything like this. Quotation marks generally signify direct quotation.

He was criticizing DNP programs, not nursing in general. And he still loves you, Hoody.

:D

To be clear, the poster didn't say anything like this. Quotation marks generally signify direct quotation.

He was criticizing DNP programs, not nursing in general. And he still loves you, Hoody.

:D
"nurses can't be interested in medicine"

"RN experience is not clinical experience. Its job experience."

love you too! ;)

top!

Me: Aren't you going to take physics 1+2? Many schools won't accept your AP credit.
Her: Nope. I checked it out. CU Denver will take my AP credit and they're my #1 so I'm all set.
Me: But....

ME: Are you still pre-med?
Girl: Yeah, but med school is sooo competitive so I'm going to apply to MD/PHD programs instead.
ME: :confused:!!

Status
Not open for further replies.