Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm asking because I had it in my head that I should list this experience one way, but now that I'm physically typing it, I'm doubting myself...

I have a lot of experience with an organization that solely does spay and neuter vouchers. I've been a caller/qualifier for the program. When people request vouchers, I call them back, discuss they're situation and they're need and ultimately decide whether or not they qualify for our program. I never actually ever touch an animal with this work but obviously I spend a lot of time discussing/educating people. Due to the lack of physical animal handling, I was originally going to classify this as volunteer, but the that tab on VMCAS says "Volunteer (not animal related)." This experience IS animal related just not in the traditional way.

I know it ultimately doesn't matter all that much, but what do you guys think? Animal experience or Volunteer?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm asking because I had it in my head that I should list this experience one way, but now that I'm physically typing it, I'm doubting myself...

I have a lot of experience with an organization that solely does spay and neuter vouchers. I've been a caller/qualifier for the program. When people request vouchers, I call them back, discuss they're situation and they're need and ultimately decide whether or not they qualify for our program. I never actually ever touch an animal with this work but obviously I spend a lot of time discussing/educating people. Due to the lack of physical animal handling, I was originally going to classify this as volunteer, but the that tab on VMCAS says "Volunteer (not animal related)." This experience IS animal related just not in the traditional way.

I know it ultimately doesn't matter all that much, but what do you guys think? Animal experience or Volunteer?

Well according to the VMCAS flow chart, if it's related to animals and was not overseen by a veterinarian, you can call it animal experience, so that is what I would go with.

Well according to the VMCAS flow chart, if it's related to animals and was not overseen by a veterinarian, you can call it animal experience, so that is what I would go with.

That's what I ended up listing it as...idk just seems weird to list something as animal experience when you aren't handling animals lol

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Three questions: I took AP World History and passed the test, and my college gave me credit for "World Civilization 2" (I don't have credit for World Civ 1, but whatever). There's no World Civ or Civilization or World History category in VMCAS - should I list it as just History, or Western Civ, or something else? Also, I took AP Calc AB and BC and passed both, so my school gave me credit for Calc 1 three different times. It's literally on my transcript three times in a row, even though it's the same exact class. I feel like I should only list this once, but they're so adamant about "exactly as it appears on your transcript" - thoughts?

When entering evaluators, it just has first and last name, then contact info. Am I supposed to designate which references are vets, and which are not, or will they do that in their profiles?

When entering evaluators, it just has first and last name, then contact info. Am I supposed to designate which references are vets, and which are not, or will they do that in their profiles?

when the evaluators sign in to evaluate you, they have to fill out a little form and one of the questions asks them what type of reference they are.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does anyone know if there is a correct way to enter the description text for experiences? Should it be bullet pointed or paragraph form?

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that someone was told by a school after a file review that they didn't like the bullet points but I cant find that thread. Would it be weird to email a school or two that I'm interested in and ask them what they prefer?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does anyone know if there is a correct way to enter the description text for experiences? Should it be bullet pointed or paragraph form?

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that someone was told by a school after a file review that they didn't like the bullet points but I cant find that thread. Would it be weird to email a school or two that I'm interested in and ask them what they prefer?

People have done it both ways.

I do paragraphs because I feel I write better in that format. I don't think using bullet points vs paragraphs is going to make or break you.

I haven't seen a ok state class of 2021, but if anyone has any questions, I go to undergrad here, and should be able to answer. (I didn't want to create a new post because I didn't see much other interest in okstate besides for me)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You guys were SO RIGHT. The app has only been open 48 hours and I already want to rip my hair out. I just finished transcript entry and now I'm in serious need of a drink.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys were SO RIGHT. The app has only been open 48 hours and I already want to rip my hair out. I just finished transcript entry and now I'm in serious need of a drink.
Right??? Ugh. The worst part for me was for the individual vet schools, matching each pre requisite with a class.

I ran into a doosey today when I requested a personal transcript from a college I had dual credit for in high school. That way it would make it easier to remember exactly when I took the classes... But the grades were different. Instead of receiving all As like I did for these classes in high school, I had 2 Bs... Somehow? Hopefully I'll get it resolved. I don't think it would matter because these classes just transferred as credits to my Purdue transcript but I want to make sure.

Right??? Ugh. The worst part for me was for the individual vet schools, matching each pre requisite with a class.

I had to take a break before getting to that step. I've entered 6 years and 3 degrees worth of classes - one of which is a psychology degree, and other than "Neuropsychology" literally every single class only fit into "psychology." So I have 19 classes just listed as "Psychology" of varying grades and credit hours, haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

This is 100% Volunteer.

If you did not touch the animals, it was not animal experience.

Three questions: I took AP World History and passed the test, and my college gave me credit for "World Civilization 2" (I don't have credit for World Civ 1, but whatever). There's no World Civ or Civilization or World History category in VMCAS - should I list it as just History, or Western Civ, or something else? Also, I took AP Calc AB and BC and passed both, so my school gave me credit for Calc 1 three different times. It's literally on my transcript three times in a row, even though it's the same exact class. I feel like I should only list this once, but they're so adamant about "exactly as it appears on your transcript" - thoughts?

Just history is fine. I'm pretty sure the subjects are really a VMCAS thing for sorting science courses out. Schools don't care.

List it exactly as it appears on your transcript.

I would call it volunteer.

Just history is fine. I'm pretty sure the subjects are really a VMCAS thing for sorting science courses out. Schools don't care.

List it exactly as it appears on your transcript.

That's the problem! It sounds like last year's transcript entry was very different, where you had to type in your course name. The only things I can type are the course code (Ex: BSC 2010), the credits, and the grade. For "subject," I have to choose from a drop-down menu which is pretty extensive but definitely doesn't cover many of my class subjects, so I ended up having to guess and list them as the closest thing I could find. To give you an idea, I had to list Human-Animal Interaction as "Psychology", Zoo and Aquarium Management as "Zoology", Leadership Development as "Special Topics", and Research Methods as "Psychology". I find it really frustrating and I'm constantly second-guessing if I'm doing this right at all. :shrug:

In short, nothing is exactly as it appears on my transcript because even "General Biology 1" has been reduced to just "Biology".

That's the problem! It sounds like last year's transcript entry was very different, where you had to type in your course name. The only things I can type are the course code (Ex: BSC 2010), the credits, and the grade. For "subject," I have to choose from a drop-down menu which is pretty extensive but definitely doesn't cover many of my class subjects, so I ended up having to guess and list them as the closest thing I could find. To give you an idea, I had to list Human-Animal Interaction as "Psychology", Zoo and Aquarium Management as "Zoology", Leadership Development as "Special Topics", and Research Methods as "Psychology". I find it really frustrating and I'm constantly second-guessing if I'm doing this right at all. :shrug:

In short, nothing is exactly as it appears on my transcript because even "General Biology 1" has been reduced to just "Biology".

Contact VMCAS. The instructions say there is still a place to input the course title and it wouldn't make sense not to allow it so this doesn't sound right to me.

there is definitely still a place to input the course title. you input the code, course title and then pick the subject from the dropdown.

there is definitely still a place to input the course title. you input the code, course title and then pick the subject from the dropdown.

Wait, so "title" is the whole written out title? Oh no, now I feel like a complete idiot! Oh jeez. Also that means I have to redo all of them. Okay, well, I'm going to go to bed and pretend today never happened then I'll wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow and fix it all. Thank you so, so much for pointing this out - I've been stressing way too much and despite my mistake that makes me feel way better about indicating what classes I took.

Nope we had that too. It's done as others say above!

This is 100% Volunteer.

I actually disagree. I worked in a butterfly exhibit where I did extremely little hands-on with the animals - rescued them if they got stuck, released'em in the mornings, but 99.9% of my time was working with humans and answering human questions. You bet I still put it as animal experience.

I actually even put TAing a Human-Animal Interactions course in under animal experience, too, because it was an experience related to animals. Maybe I got an eyeroll that I don't know about, but I got in, so apparently nobody minded too much. :p I would almost always classify things in the "highest" category you can, and let the schools decide to downgrade it if they want imo.

I'm sure this has been posted here before and admit I haven't read all of this thread, but from VMCAS:

VMCAS_Experiences_Chart.png

Does anyone know if either (or both) of the achievement and experience section will "Reorganize" into proper date order--or does it stay in the order you enter it? It seems it would be tough to follow if it were out of order.

Also--for giving dates--giving the day/month/year--have people given estimates? I have done so many things that were so long ago and feel like I am going to need to make up some dates for specific experiences/achievements!

Thanks!

Does anyone know if either (or both) of the achievement and experience section will "Reorganize" into proper date order--or does it stay in the order you enter it? It seems it would be tough to follow if it were out of order.

Also--for giving dates--giving the day/month/year--have people given estimates? I have done so many things that were so long ago and feel like I am going to need to make up some dates for specific experiences/achievements!

Thanks!

if you go to the "check status" section and click on any of the programs there should be a link to download a pdf. in there the experiences are all reordered automatically by date

Wait, so "title" is the whole written out title? Oh no, now I feel like a complete idiot! Oh jeez. Also that means I have to redo all of them. Okay, well, I'm going to go to bed and pretend today never happened then I'll wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow and fix it all. Thank you so, so much for pointing this out - I've been stressing way too much and despite my mistake that makes me feel way better about indicating what classes I took.
Check the VMCAS questions. They said that you can shorten anatomy and physiology 1 to "anat phys 1" but not "biology"

After putting in all courses do we then contact our school to send directly to VMCAS? Or do we wait to submit then send transcripts?

I'm copying and pasting from my CV, which is bullets. It makes it easier on the reader I feel and they're not as likely to get lost in the mumbo jumbo. Just me personally though.

I used paragraphs because I found it easier for me to write in that format. Other people use bullets.

Ultimately I don't think matters and you can do whichever you want.

How much detail are you using? Like, is "Assisted in surgeries" sufficient, or would you specify things like spays, cystotomies, etc?

Rabbits are considered SA, right? I have a fever and VMCAS is jumbling my thoughts. :wacky::smack:

Check the VMCAS questions. They said that you can shorten anatomy and physiology 1 to "anat phys 1" but not "biology"

I actually read that section over maybe 4 times or so, because I was so confused about where I was supposed to type that in. I guess my brain was just so fried from organizing/entering my experiences that even something so simple wasn't clicking. Oh the shame. But at least it's easily fixable.

I actually read that section over maybe 4 times or so, because I was so confused about where I was supposed to type that in. I guess my brain was just so fried from organizing/entering my experiences that even something so simple wasn't clicking. Oh the shame. But at least it's easily fixable.

BRAIN SO FRIED OMG :boom:

How much detail are you using? Like, is "Assisted in surgeries" sufficient, or would you specify things like spays, cystotomies, etc?
I'm not necessarily specifying what type of surgeries/procedures I assisted the vet with, but rather being descriptive in what I did to assist. Example, saying things like "monitoring surgery patients vital signs, placing intravenous catheters, etc" is more telling and you're selling yourself better than saying "assisted with TPLOs, tooth extractions, spays, growth removals."

I'm not necessarily specifying what type of surgeries/procedures I assisted the vet with, but rather being descriptive in what I did to assist. Example, saying things like "monitoring surgery patients vital signs, placing intravenous catheters, etc" is more telling and you're selling yourself better than saying "assisted with TPLOs, tooth extractions, spays, growth removals."

Yes!! I definitely agree. Thank you. Sometimes it's hard for me to think of these things on my own when I'm caught up in everything else :p

Yes!! I definitely agree. Thank you. Sometimes it's hard for me to think of these things on my own when I'm caught up in everything else :p
Another way to get the juices flowing is to search for vet assistant/vet tech jobs, and try to get a general idea of what job postings list as job responsibilities and whatnot. Obviously don't copy and paste, but it might help you with wording and generally getting started.

So my vet I work at does primarily small animals, but occasionally we get in the interesting wildlife (raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, etc) and exotics (we got some baby sea turtles in last summer). Can I call that wildlife/ exotic for type of experience?

So my vet I work at does primarily small animals, but occasionally we get in the interesting wildlife (raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, etc) and exotics (we got some baby sea turtles in last summer). Can I call that wildlife/ exotic for type of experience?

My SA clinic sort of did this too, but maybe one exotic/wildlife case a month, typically by a usual dog/cat client who just hapoened to bring it in. But I knew my vet would describe his practice as only small animal, so that's what I listed it as in case he mentioned it in the LOR. And I didn't feel like that was enough of a case load to justify it, but if you feel like you guys see enough you might consider listing it in the description even if you don't want to mark it as zoo/wildlife or exotic.

My SA clinic sort of did this too, but maybe one exotic/wildlife case a month, typically by a usual dog/cat client who just hapoened to bring it in. But I knew my vet would describe his practice as only small animal, so that's what I listed it as in case he mentioned it in the LOR. And I didn't feel like that was enough of a case load to justify it, but if you feel like you guys see enough you might consider listing it in the description even if you don't want to mark it as zoo/wildlife or exotic.
Hmm.. Okay! Thanks floridajl

I'm taking Online animal science and nutrition courses at other colleges, do I add those colleges to the "College attended" section?

And do I have to send Official transcripts to VMCAS or to each school I am applying to ? and must I do the same for my home school transcripts???

I know they're dumb questions but I'm not sure

I'm taking Online animal science and nutrition courses at other colleges, do I add those colleges to the "College attended" section?

And do I have to send Official transcripts to VMCAS or to each school I am applying to ? and must I do the same for my home school transcripts???

I know they're dumb questions but I'm not sure
Unfortunately (for your wallet's and your sanity's sake) you have to send them all. , including online classes. You send them all to VMCAS, and then (from my understanding) you send all transcripts from fall 2016 and spring 2017 directly to the individual schools.

It feels weird ordering my transcript already. Last year I was getting it in right before I was ready to submit.

So they don't keep our transcripts if we are reapplying? They kept all of my information from the transcript from last cycle so I didn't need to reenter everything, and I haven't seen an option where it tells me to resend my transcript...

if you go to the "check status" section and click on any of the programs there should be a link to download a pdf. in there the experiences are all reordered automatically by date
I did that--it didn't reorder them. They stayed out of order. Maybe I'll contact VMCAS. Thanks for your response :)

This is 100% Volunteer.

I would call it volunteer.

I actually disagree. I worked in a butterfly exhibit where I did extremely little hands-on with the animals - rescued them if they got stuck, released'em in the mornings, but 99.9% of my time was working with humans and answering human questions. You bet I still put it as animal experience.

I actually even put TAing a Human-Animal Interactions course in under animal experience, too, because it was an experience related to animals. Maybe I got an eyeroll that I don't know about, but I got in, so apparently nobody minded too much. :p I would almost always classify things in the "highest" category you can, and let the schools decide to downgrade it if they want imo.

I'm sure this has been posted here before and admit I haven't read all of this thread, but from VMCAS:

VMCAS_Experiences_Chart.png

I think its funny that everyone has a different opinion. But thanks for the replies. I'm not overly worried about it because I have plenty of stuff to fill both categories, but I like what @Trilt pointed out about placing it in the highest category you think it classifies in...and all VMCAS says about Animal Experience is that its "animal related."

Anyway...thanks guys!

So they don't keep our transcripts if we are reapplying? They kept all of my information from the transcript from last cycle so I didn't need to reenter everything, and I haven't seen an option where it tells me to resend my transcript...

Is your coursework exactly the same as last year? Mine isn't.

I took classes last Fall. They were entered into VMCAS as in progress but now they have grades attached to them. I assume that meant I needed to send an updated transcript so they can verify the new grades. It actually does say that they have "1 of 1" transcript... it's just that the transcript they have is now outdated.

This may have already been addressed and I admit, I might have accidentally skipped past it without realizing, so my apologies if I'm repeating a question. Can we send our transcripts in after we have finished entering them in? I'm still not 100% decided on my list of schools yet, so I haven't started the matching of pre requisites yet. Wasn't sure if it mattered when we sent them in, as long as they were in before the deadline/submission.

Wow can't believe I missed this. I was chair of a similar program, did work similar to what you described, and I listed this as animal experince.

I'm still deciding on my 5th! I have Okstate, NCSU, VAMD, Purdue, and somewhere. Maybe Texas (my IS) but I'm hesitant. I originally had Illinois, but I don't know if I would want a class size of 180..

FYI: Illinois does not plan on having a permanent class size of 180. That was complete accident this year and is down to 178 from the 182. They are planning on being at the 130 next year.

Is your coursework exactly the same as last year? Mine isn't.

I took classes last Fall. They were entered into VMCAS as in progress but now they have grades attached to them. I assume that meant I needed to send an updated transcript so they can verify the new grades. It actually does say that they have "1 of 1" transcript... it's just that the transcript they have is now outdated.

Yes, my coursework is exactly the same. I graduated in August 2015, and this year I've been in Madagascar. This fall I do plan on taking microbiology and technical writing at University of Houston (2 classes that never fit in my schedule at my undergraduate institution), but those classes will be listed as "in progress" when I send my application.

Yes, my coursework is exactly the same. I graduated in August 2015, and this year I've been in Madagascar. This fall I do plan on taking microbiology and technical writing at University of Houston (2 classes that never fit in my schedule at my undergraduate institution), but those classes will be listed as "in progress" when I send my application.

Lucky you. ;)

You may want to confirm that they don't have to verify in progress courses--just to be on the safe side. I would guess that you're fine though.

I graduated in December so I had 6 measly credits that weren't done. Although my undergrad decided transcripts are now free so at least I didn't have to pay for a second one.

Lucky you. ;)

You may want to confirm that they don't have to verify in progress courses--just to be on the safe side. I would guess that you're fine though.

I graduated in December so I had 6 measly credits that weren't done. Although my undergrad decided transcripts are now free so at least I didn't have to pay for a second one.

Confirm with VMCAS or with the schools I'm applying to?

Your undgrad school made you pay for transcripts? That sucks. My undergrad school has always (at least as long as I've known) given us free transcripts (for normal business day delivery, if you want it to arrive faster you have to pay).