Gap Year, wondering about my credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Almatora

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently wrote my MCAT and received a 508 (129/124/125/130), but I am too late for this year's application cycle. I have a 4.00 cGPA and a 4.00 sGPA. I have done plenty of volunteering in countless places like the hospital, have made a club at school and started to gain some research that I can use for my application. Do I have a reasonable shot at applying to MD schools by any chance?
What other things should I do to also beef up my EC to make them a lot stronger? :D

Members don't see this ad.

You should be good to go with a 4.0 and 508 MCAT, assuming you have at least 50 hours of shadowing, 150 hours of volunteering with at least 100 hours of clinical exposure. You might run into some schools that don't accept students with an MCAT section below 125 so you'll want to buy the MSAR and make sure to avoid any schools that:

1) Have 10th percentile MCAT scores at or above yours
2) Have 10th percentile CARS and B/B scores at or above yours.

Just make sure to check all the boxes for your ECs and craft a good list, focusing on schools that favor GPA over MCAT. I think you'll do just fine. Your MCAT is right at the average for matriculates and your GPA is well above it.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With your current stats you are competitive for the Michigan MD schools: Central Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Which URM group do you belong to? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish?

With your current stats you are competitive for the Michigan MD schools: Central Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Which URM group do you belong to? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish?
Im a black african student not hispanic

You can add U Michigan also. Are there any out of state schools or regions of the country that interest you? You are competitive for many schools outside of Michigan also.

You can add U Michigan also. Are there any out of state schools or regions of the country that interest you? You are competitive for many schools outside of Michigan also.
I was interested in schools in Minnesota, Ohio and Virginia.

You are competitive for Toledo, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Eastern Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, U Virginia.
Would I also be competitive for schools in California and New York by any chance? Just wondering to keep my odds open for myself.

Yes, in New York you could try New York Medical College, Hofstra, Einstein, Mount Sinai. In California you could try UCLA-Drew and USC.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, in New York you could try New York Medical College, Hofstra, Einstein, Mount Sinai. In California you could try UCLA-Drew and USC.
Thanks so much for all the help, really appreciate it :D