Gay friendly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shomama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which of the northeast (NY,CT) programs are known to be gay-friendly or, more importantly, which have a history of not being so.

Members don't see this ad.

i would imagine (and hope) that all programs are gay friendly...especially ones in NY, etc. IF you ran into ANY anti-gay senitments i doubt it would be in big city type programs.
i hope the program that i end up in has a gay guy...i am leaving my best-gay guy friend behind and will have to replace him somehow ;-)

you're right--I doubt there is too much homophobia on the northeast, it would be very out of character for the area. I guess my concern is if there are any specific programs that may not fit the norm or, on the other hand, may be more tolerable....
sorry to hear you are losing your gay-boyfriend---was are very essential!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know which of the northeast (NY,CT) programs are known to be gay-friendly or, more importantly, which have a history of not being so.

What does that mean for a residency program to be "gay-friendly?" I imagine that wherever you go, you will meet a mix of people that includes gay-haters, gay-indifferent, and gay-friendly.

if you don't know what i mean by gay friendly then the question is irrelevant to you.

You're right, it's not relevant to ME, but it is relevant to you if you want your question answered. How would i be able to tell you if my residency program is "gay-friendly" or not if i don't know what you mean by that?

ok. well it is a program where a resident who is gay would feel comfortable being out (if they choose to be) without feeling that the majority of the faculty and/or other residents are judging him or her. this would include for example bringing their partner with them to residency social events. in general it means that a gay resident would feel that it's not an issue just as being straight isn't an issue.

ok. well it is a program where a resident who is gay would feel comfortable being out (if they choose to be) without feeling that the majority of the faculty and/or other residents are judging him or her. this would include for example bringing their partner with them to residency social events. in general it means that a gay resident would feel that it's not an issue just as being straight isn't an issue.

I know what you mean. But I think that even if program doesn't have gay people yet, you can always be the first one. We have quite a few people in our class that are gay and they are such characters that everyone loves them :D

is this sarcasm?

nyc in particular manhattan is gay HAVen. every third person is gay seemingly. so just apply to those programs and you shouldnt have problem. Just dont tell militarymd he will flip his lid