GC Q (le chatelier's principle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vash429

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading Chads notes, and noticed something I wrote.

2C (S) + O2 (g) --> 2 CO2 + Heat
1 2

SO if we add something like Ar ( inert gas not part of the equation to the left pressure is increased. However, from example problems I think it had no effect on shifting the equilibrium. If we had a mole ration of 1:1 on both sides and then added an inert gas again not part of the equation would the change in pressure force the equation to go the opposite of the way it is added.

Members don't see this ad.

Adding an inert gas such as Ar does not shift the equilibrium because it does not react with other elements or compounds. Adding an inert gas into a gas-phase equilibrium at constant volume does not result in a shift, because the addition of a non-reactive gas does not change the partial pressures of the other gases in the container. Adding an inert gas, makes the pressure of the system increase but the total pressure does not have any effect on the equilibrium constant. Only a change in partial pressure will cause the equilibrium to shift...

anyone please correct me if I am wrong

Adding an inert gas such as Ar does not shift the equilibrium because it does not react with other elements or compounds. Adding an inert gas into a gas-phase equilibrium at constant volume does not result in a shift, because the addition of a non-reactive gas does not change the partial pressures of the other gases in the container. Adding an inert gas, makes the pressure of the system increase but the total pressure does not have any effect on the equilibrium constant. Only a change in partial pressure will cause the equilibrium to shift...

anyone please correct me if I am wrong

:thumbup: