Gen Bio Replacement: Cell Biology vs. Microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana_phone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I know this topic has been touched on but my question is a bit different, so here goes.

I'm a post-bacc student at University of Minnesota, which does not offer a two-part, year-long General Biology sequence for students not in the College of Biological Sciences. Instead, they offer a one-semester General Biology course (which I took), and then upper-level science courses. The UMN Medical School doesn't require a year-long Gen Bio sequence, so I'm assuming this is why they don't offer it for non-CBS students.

However, that leaves me wondering what to take to fulfill the second-semester of the "Biology" requirement for most medical schools. My choices are pretty much narrowed down to Microbiology and Physiology, or I could take Cell Biology a different school. Any advice? I want to be optimally prepared for the MCAT, and am unsure which course will be better for that.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. It's ultimately up to you! I found Cell Biology and Physiology helped to prepare me for the MCAT.

Either will help and also not taking either won't be detrimental for the mcat. You can learn all of the basics in review books. That said, take whatever sounds more interesting.