Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i am definitely looking for a roommate for MCG. have you honed in on where you'd like to live in augusta?

Members don't see this ad.

The place above me is opening. 2 bedroom/1 bath, ~1200 square feet, hardwood floors, updated kitchen, gas, 9' ceilings, <1 mile from campus.

~825/month

hey georgiaC,

Send me a message on facebook, Kevin Goelz. Im trying to get some people to get a house on the hill or near Augusta National.

Faz-- where is the apartment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys - I was just lurking on your thread and wanted to say congrats to everybody who got acceptances. I was waitlisted last year at MCG, and I'll be applying again for 2010, just retook the MCAT because my scores were too old :D. Waitlisters, hang in there, I know it's hard!

Hi guys - I was just lurking on your thread and wanted to say congrats to everybody who got acceptances. I was waitlisted last year at MCG, and I'll be applying again for 2010, just retook the MCAT because my scores were too old :D. Waitlisters, hang in there, I know it's hard!

long time no see :p glad to see you're still around. got your scores back yet? Better? Didn't you have a pretty good score already? Too bad you had to retake.

flat out rejected by Mercer as well. Very odd given what Dr. Clifton said to me last year and the fact that I had been wait listed the previous cycle. Oh well. I guess its back to the drawing board for me.... Time to go back to school to be qualified to apply to PA school...

I was rejected by mercer last cycle and now i'm waitlisted. Interviewed 3 schools and all waitlisted. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Got waitlisted at Mercer as well, more waiting for me +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the Reject Letter from Mercer as well. Was waitlisted in 2008... felt really good about the interview this year as well...but, i guess there are just too many better qualified candidates.

Alternate List from MCG.

All I can do is hope and pray... and continue to take more classes haha.

Anyone taking classes at Ga State this Summer? I will be in Cell Bio, Biochem, and Physiology.

I was waitlisted at Mercer... just going to sit tight- I already am in with scholarship in Texas but would like to see if I was to get in...

I wonder if Mercer had a smaller waitlist or interviewed more applicants this year...

Maybe they heard that you applied EDP and figured that you were a "flight risk".

heheheh..

:rolleyes:

i was quite angry to receive the mercer waitlist, not because i really wanted to go there, but because the word "congratulations" was used on the first line, which implies acceptance. I think they need to be more careful in terms of how they structure their waitlist letter.

For persons recently accepted to Mercer Med,

1) In case of interest, there is a facebook page that has been set up to facilitate housing/roomates etc.

2) There is a get together at Manuel's Tavern in the next two weeks. PM me for details and to get added to the email listing.

FYI: Just got a waitlist notification email from Mary Putnam @ Mercer.
Ok.. I am still waiting. No news for me at all.

Has everyone that has been wait-listed received their notification by Email??? This seems odd to me.

Good Luck everyone.

I would call them. From what I understand, all the decisions at Mercer have been released, so they should freely tell you where you stand.

They do give out some scholarships but I think they are in smaller amounts.

Where's the waitlist movement? This thread is quiet!

do you mean if anybody have moved offof the waitlist for mercer?

I'm new to this forum. I've been waitlisted at MCG. I guess I'll just have to continue with the waiting game.

I'm new to this forum. I've been waitlisted at MCG. I guess I'll just have to continue with the waiting game.

good luck. Is it the middle of april or the middle of may when you have to drop all your acceptances but one?

got to go to the Masters yesterday... it was a perfect day. The weather was mild, the crowd was generally nice, and I got to hang out with my sister's roomates, who were suprisingly very cool. If you ever get invited, even if you don't like golf, go. Its a lot of fun.

Biggest movement is may 15th and the first week of June (so said an ADCOM member)

can any current mercer med students recommend me some good churches in macon area? i grew up in presbyterian backgrounds, but i am open to baptist and non-denominational.

another question: i really love my church in atlanta. as a med student, will i have time travel and spend my sunday in atlanta? (commute is about 2.5 hours).

any helpful comments are appreciated.

can any current mercer med students recommend me some good churches in macon area? i grew up in presbyterian backgrounds, but i am open to baptist and non-denominational.

another question: i really love my church in atlanta. as a med student, will i have time travel and spend my sunday in atlanta? (commute is about 2.5 hours).

any helpful comments are appreciated.

If I were you I would stay at the church in Atlanta. For me having that connection to your friends and family would be great and I think for at least the first few phases at Mercer you should be fine. Almost every weekend, up until this phase (Neurology), I went home which is a four hour drive for me. I was able to balance the drive and school just fine. Do you have someone to commute with? If so they could drive and you could study on the way there. Anyway I think that familiarity and support could really help you adjust to medical school and personally I would make the drive even if it was a little painful.

I'd be interested in hearing good church (non-demon or Baptist etc.) suggestions in Macon too. I'd rather not commute back if I have to, but if I have to - I guess I will. I get the support thing, but I just don't think I can do the drive.

I'd be interested in hearing good church (non-demon or Baptist etc.) suggestions in Macon too. I'd rather not commute back if I have to, but if I have to - I guess I will. I get the support thing, but I just don't think I can do the drive.

just find someplace that other young people (maybe people in your class?) go. I had distant relatives in one church that I tried to attend (other reasons as well), but it didn't work out. Nobody my age- that seemed to be the biggest problem.

I agree that keeping in touch with family would be good- Macon to ATL is not that far. If I didn't hate driving so much, the 2.5 hours that I'd have to drive would probably not be too much to make on the weekends.

GADOC is in a good church in Macon. He posted a while ago-you should PM him

Skymastre - I'm totally laughing since we actually know each other - that you replied back to this in "character" on SDN. LOL. I'm fairly certain I know GAdoc too, but I can't remember who his SDN name matches to either.

Skymastre - I'm totally laughing since we actually know each other - that you replied back to this in "character" on SDN. LOL. I'm fairly certain I know GAdoc too, but I can't remember who his SDN name matches to either.

So tell us about the "real" Skymastre :)

Ha! We "Mercer" people have to stick together. I'll never tell! :) We're quite the social bunch, though. There are a bunch of us on this board that do know each other in real life.

Ack!

Ga. Regents to vote on tuition
Associated Press
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:12 a.m.

ATLANTA &#8212; The Georgia Board of Regents is expected to vote on how much to raise tuition in the face of the state's worst fiscal crisis in decades, including a measure to suspend guaranteed tuition rates for students.

The board will meet today to vote on whether to do away with the "fixed for four" tuition plan temporarily, raising tuition and fees for all students to make up for $238 million in state budget cuts this year and $275 million next year. That's about 10 percent of the state funding allotted for Georgia's 35 colleges and universities.

Under the tuition plan launched by Gov. Sonny Perdue in 2006, students are guaranteed the same fee rate for four years. The fixed rate is contingent on colleges getting the funding they need to cover costs.

Hey Bod,

Have you guys had your CPR/ACLS certification yet? Any idea when you get it?

anybody get their super cool info-filled jump drive from MCG? Mine came today, pretty sweet way to get some crucial information out there. :thumbup:

PS Fahimaz,
As of last night I am beginning my official journey into kayaking. I'm in a 3 day clinic put on by gorp; last night was a pool session, today at lake chapman, and tomorrow a run down the broad! Caroline, jay, and joel are instructing us, figure you probably know them. whoo hooo! loving it

anybody get their super cool info-filled jump drive from MCG? Mine came today, pretty sweet way to get some crucial information out there. :thumbup:

PS Fahimaz,
As of last night I am beginning my official journey into kayaking. I'm in a 3 day clinic put on by gorp; last night was a pool session, today at lake chapman, and tomorrow a run down the broad! Caroline, jay, and joel are instructing us, figure you probably know them. whoo hooo! loving it

that's pretty awesome.

what's on it? we didn't even get so much as a booklist.

that's pretty awesome.

what's on it? we didn't even get so much as a booklist.

Yea, I thought so too.

A welcome flash presentation is loaded on it. There's a menu with orientation, maps, and student to student advice. Within the orientation menu they cover everything, admissions, pulse, wellness center, immunizations, insurance, financial aid, etc.

Pretty sweet, the drive itself is 1GB, "Medical College of Georgia" printed on it with a lanyard.

I love free stuff!

Scean,

Nice man! Is Steve Cramer going as well?

:)

Scott

I love free stuff!

Well you'll get it, in this business. Don't make lunch plans for the first month of med school, right after class there are usually a couple of group meetings every day. 3/4 of the groups fizzle out over the course of the first semester, tho.