Georgia Tech vs Georgia State for pre reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquishyMonster90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Y'all are probably getting sick of my crap, lol. Sorry for posting so much.

I am a 25 year old non trad who just made the decision to go into medicine. I graduated from VCU in 2012 with a music degree. had a 3.94 undergrad GPA. I am currently training to be an EMT here in Atlanta to get some clinical experience.

Anyway, I'm trying to apply for Fall 2016 to get my prereqs. I've decided to axe the formal post bacc idea in favor of a DIY at a state school. I figure there's no need to spend the extra money on one and I'm already a little late to apply to any of those this year since I would need to take the GRE first. That would require a few weeks to a month to study for it before I could apply and then who knows how I would even do on it? What if they were worse than my 1790 SATS? I haven't had a math class since precal my sophomore year of high school back in 2006, so I would be way rusty for the math section of the GRE. I think I'm motivated enough to do DIY, although the letters of rec from a formal postbacc would have been nice. Plus the DIYs I'm applying to don't require any standardized test scores. Anyway, I've narrowed my list to three schools:

Georgia Tech
Georgia State
Virginia Commonwealth University (my alma mater)

VCU is more of a safety school. I am 99.95% positive I could get in there again. I'd prefer not to leave Atlanta though as moving is such a pain.

Out of Georgia Tech and Georgia state, which one will give me the best chances of a shot at med school? I should note that I would like to go into academic medicine and therefore, would like to apply to some top 10's for actual medical school, so take that into consideration.

I have a 3.94 undergrad GPA right now. I know Georgia Tech is famous for low GPAs. If I went there, I would NOT do engineering, however, just regular bio or biochemistry. Is their science department still hard as far as GPA? Or is that just their engineering department? They are a better school and have better research access. I really want to go to a school that has good research opportunities considering I want to do academic medicine. They would probably also better prepare me for the MCAT. But I also don't want to risk my GPA. I want to maintain the good GPA that I already have.

I looked into Emory, but they do not allow students who are going for a second bachelor's. I'd rather not do non degree seeking because you get last pick of the classes.

I have a better chance at maintaining my current GPA at Georgia State, but their access to research isn't as good and they aren't as good of a school. Will going there hurt me when applying to med school? Especially for top 10's?

Anyone have any info on either of these schools? Considering my situation, which would be a better fit for me? I'm leaning towards doing bio or biochem at Tech, but I'm just so worried about losing my good GPA. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You picked three well known schools. All three will give you the opportunity to get to where you want to go. A 3.94 is a solid GPA and a music degree shows that you know what it means to be dedicated and to contribute a lot of time to achieving a goal. Now, you have to apply that to the study of science. You need several semesters of sustained high academic achievement with a science heavy course load and a high MCAT score. Every top 10 school has thousands of qualified applicants and each one admits fewer than three or four hundred, and matriculates around 100. You're going to need some substantial accomplishments, volunteer work, and research would be a plus. Best of luck!